ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Penguins

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
It is that time for the annual Penguins thread. I have never seen anything like it, as far as injuries go.

So far, we are what, 27 games into the season? The Penguins have gone long stretches without:
1) Sidney Crosby
2) Geno Malkin
3) Bryan Rust
4) Patrick Hornquist
5) Nick Bjugstad
6) Alex Galchenyuk

Out of your forwards, that is your #1 Center, HOF, top 10 all time great, your #2 Center, HOF, all time great, a Top 6 winger, and your 3rd line Center and 3rd line winger. Plus Galchenyuk who hasn't been great but was definitely slotted for a top 9 role.

7) Kris Letang
8) Justin Schultz
9) Brian Dumoulin

That's your #1 Dman, an All Star, your other top pairing, a guy who is always among the top 5 in Plus Minus and your 3rd DMan, and also other point man for the PP.

Wow. To even be treading water is amazing. With the injuries to the other Pittsburgh teams, 2019 can't end fast enough.

Now, there is a song by the band called the National, called "Mr. November". Well this is the second November in a row that Matt Murray has been bad. They need him to be good. Luckily Tristan Jarry has been good, and he has a bit of a pedigree which makes it more hopefully sustainable. Also, Casey DeSmith has been killing it in WBS. I would ride Jarry for awhile. But the Pens are going to have to lean on the goaltending, play a simple game.

Schultz should be getting back, but Sid is out until likely the All Star break, Dumoulin probably until February, who knows with Rust and Hornquist. By the way, I can confirm that the rumors that Hornquist crashed into a specific spot along the boards that caused him to go into the NCAA transfer portal and ended up as a Tight End on UTEP is not true.

The Pens need to basically stay close. They really need to play 3-2 type of games, really simple, boring hockey. I hope Jim Rutherford doesn't even think about trading their #1 pick to fill a role right now, because there are no guarantees that they will make the playoffs, let alone contend for a Cup. Get to the All Star break in a similar position as they are now, get Sid back, others healthy and then see what happens.

It's amazing how many guys get injured in practice with this team. I have no idea if the Pens practice with less or more intensity than most teams, but at the very least they need to re-evaluate their strength and conditioning program.

All-Star Break for Sid? Most reports have talked about Christmas have they not? The AS Break is a month later than Christmas so let's hope we don't have to wait that long.

And to your point about JR holding that 1st round pick, I am in 100% agreement, but you know he won't be able to help himself if the team is on the playoff bubble, which I can't see how this team won't be come late February/trade deadline time.

The time for questioning their S&C was about 10 years ago. Every year those guys miss tons of games. The Pens have been in the top 5 for most man games missed almost every year.

Jarry has pedigree. Even moreso than the Blues Bennington. You know what they say, the best trades you make is sometimes the trades you don't make.

It will be interesting, I mean they can maybe get MM on the cheap, or if Jarry continues along with DeSmith he becomes a trade chip.

But Owt, "didn't you support Murray"? Sure. You win two cups, I mean you deserve support. But outside of two guys....Lemieux and Crosby, it is always about the logo on the front of the sweater not the name on the back. Whatever makes this franchise better and a contender I am always for.

Outside of goaltending, man you got to love how they are playing and Mike Sullivan is doing just a fantastic job. I am telling you, we are still at this spot come January where Sid comes back, others come back....look out. Because not only will this team be loaded, it will be in a position to make any move it deems necessary to win a Cup.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Jarry has pedigree. Even moreso than the Blues Bennington. You know what they say, the best trades you make is sometimes the trades you don't make.

It will be interesting, I mean they can maybe get MM on the cheap, or if Jarry continues along with DeSmith he becomes a trade chip.

But Owt, "didn't you support Murray"? Sure. You win two cups, I mean you deserve support. But outside of two guys....Lemieux and Crosby, it is always about the logo on the front of the sweater not the name on the back. Whatever makes this franchise better and a contender I am always for.

Outside of goaltending, man you got to love how they are playing and Mike Sullivan is doing just a fantastic job. I am telling you, we are still at this spot come January where Sid comes back, others come back....look out. Because not only will this team be loaded, it will be in a position to make any move it deems necessary to win a Cup.
Glad geno has seemed to buy into the system

Tonight was a mud fight - Jarry made timely saves - but the pens played patient hockey
Scored on a weird board bounce and closed out

I am spoiled as a Pens fan , when Crosby is not playing, I watch the game differently.
Lemieux started it.

sooo, its not as Fun..

edit... I watched some old youtube on Barrasso tonight ... that guy was awesome and hilarious how he hated the media.
He did have good reason tho.

The Penguins commitment to a two-way game this year has been awesome. Sully should be the Coach of the Year right now with all of the man games lost.

Jarry has been awesome. Murray should get a shot tomorrow against the bottom-feeding Red wings, but he appears to be on his yearly November/December swoon.

Glad geno has seemed to buy into the system

Tonight was a mud fight - Jarry made timely saves - but the pens played patient hockey
Scored on a weird board bounce and closed out
Geno being out, watching, seeing the rest of the team buy in maybe the best thing. I mean, he is playing outstanding and exactly the way they need him to play.

The dude has been apart of 3 winning Cup teams, he knows the score.

One other thing....holy hell, John Marino....what a find!!!

- Injury bug has been unbelievable but Pens hanging in there and some of wounded are back, others to follow later.

- All 4 lines playing that simple, structured, disciplined, 200 foot, north/south speed game and it is paying dividends.

- The forwards have been covering for the defensemen when they pinch which has decreased the number of odd man breaks and the Pens have used the 1-2-2 trap which has decreased the opponents speed through the neutral zone and made it hard to play against us as other teams have to go through multiple layers of Pens to get close to the net.

- As several have said, Geno has bought in and has been playing great ! ...... he, Guentzel, and Rust are a formidable line.

- Marino continues to play well ..... what a great pick up so far.

- Galchenyuk has been a disappointment to date ..... doesn't seem to fit real well into our system ..... recently he has been relegated to the 4th line and getting less than 10 minutes of ice time per game ..... he has never been known to be great in the defensive end ....... he needs to score and is not doing enough of that to date ...... maybe he will come on strong soon and be a plus but if he doesn't, he may be the odd man out when the injured players return ....... he makes 4.9 million/year and is an UFA at the end of the year, so he could be trade material unless he comes on strong.

- I like Lafferty ..... he isn't a star but he has a role on the team which he plays pretty well and is an NHL caliber player ..... has size, good speed, does pretty well in battles on the boards, good forechecker, doing a reasonable job on face-offs, decent shooting and passing, has some skill with stickhandling and is responsible defensively .... hopefully he keeps it up and improves.

- Oh yeah, I forgot about the goalies (LOL !!!) ...... recently Matt Murray is having problems and not playing very well .... we saw this early last season and then from December onward he was really good ..... we'll have to see if he can snap out of it this year ..... personally I think he is playing deeper in the net this year and this has hurt him ..... I'd like to see him more aggressive in his angles/positioning ...... Matt's advanced analytics are poor right now, his delta save % (his actual save % minus his expected save % based on the difficulty of shots he has faced) is a negative meaning he is saving less shots then the average NHL goalie would save on the same shots Murray has faced ..... his goals saved above average is a big negative also ...... Murray's save % against medium and high danger shots is reasonable but his save % against low danger shots (the easier shots) is one of the worst in the league meaning he is giving up too many easy goals ...... IMO he needs to watch tape, work on angles/positioning, goalie movement, save techniques, rebound control, playing the puck outside the net .... in other words, work on fundamentals.

Tristan Jarry, on the other hand has been actually playing at a high level with a nicely positive delta save % and GSAA ..... we've seen him do this for short stretches before and then revert to poorer play so the question is can he keep this excellent play up longer term ? .... time will tell ...... it has been said that he has worked really hard since last season on his game and lost some weight and is better conditioned ..... I like his aggressive angles/positioning so far ..... he seems to be seeing the puck well and anticipating plays well so his movement has been quick ...... Jarry has also improved his rebound control a lot so far from last season ..... I also really like how Jarry plays the puck outside the net especially behind the net .... he stops a lot of pucks behind the net and sets it up for his defensemen and is really good at shooting and passing the puck out .... I can't emphasize how much of a help this is in controlling and getting the puck out of our end ..... he is the best Pens goalie at playing the puck outside the net since Tom Barrasso.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Tristan Jarry! Tristan Jarry!! Tristan Jarry!!

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make. Many people thought that Jarry was trade bait this past off season.

It is that time for the annual Penguins thread. I have never seen anything like it, as far as injuries go.

So far, we are what, 27 games into the season? The Penguins have gone long stretches without:
1) Sidney Crosby
2) Geno Malkin
3) Bryan Rust
4) Patrick Hornquist
5) Nick Bjugstad
6) Alex Galchenyuk

Out of your forwards, that is your #1 Center, HOF, top 10 all time great, your #2 Center, HOF, all time great, a Top 6 winger, and your 3rd line Center and 3rd line winger. Plus Galchenyuk who hasn't been great but was definitely slotted for a top 9 role.

7) Kris Letang
8) Justin Schultz
9) Brian Dumoulin

That's your #1 Dman, an All Star, your other top pairing, a guy who is always among the top 5 in Plus Minus and your 3rd DMan, and also other point man for the PP.

Wow. To even be treading water is amazing. With the injuries to the other Pittsburgh teams, 2019 can't end fast enough.

Now, there is a song by the band called the National, called "Mr. November". Well this is the second November in a row that Matt Murray has been bad. They need him to be good. Luckily Tristan Jarry has been good, and he has a bit of a pedigree which makes it more hopefully sustainable. Also, Casey DeSmith has been killing it in WBS. I would ride Jarry for awhile. But the Pens are going to have to lean on the goaltending, play a simple game.

Schultz should be getting back, but Sid is out until likely the All Star break, Dumoulin probably until February, who knows with Rust and Hornquist. By the way, I can confirm that the rumors that Hornquist crashed into a specific spot along the boards that caused him to go into the NCAA transfer portal and ended up as a Tight End on UTEP is not true.

The Pens need to basically stay close. They really need to play 3-2 type of games, really simple, boring hockey. I hope Jim Rutherford doesn't even think about trading their #1 pick to fill a role right now, because there are no guarantees that they will make the playoffs, let alone contend for a Cup. Get to the All Star break in a similar position as they are now, get Sid back, others healthy and then see what happens.

Yes you're correct.
Go PENS!
A W is a W.
PENS are riding the Jarry Train who is 'moving on up."

I was looking at the PantherLair thread rotation and the On Campus Stadium thread is due up soon along with SMF's PSU path to the CFP.

Less than a minute in to the game last night....Justin Schultz goes awkwardly into the boards. The Pens beginning a Western Canadian swing sleep walks through the 1st period......but only manages to be down 1 thanks to Tristan Hasek Jarry. In the 2nd period they find their game, come out play strong and take the lead.

The win....playing just good solid hockey. Jarry is fantastic. Again.

I love this team. I am getting that feeling. It is early, but you can project this team playing this well, getting Crosby back and eventually Hornquist. And look out.

Are any of you paying attention, I had this thread for about a month but alot of the usual hockey suspects have been silent.

There is alot going on. Bryan Rust is having a Jake Guentzel like rise. Guentzel is now proving he is just not a product of Sidney Crosby's linemate, he is a legit NHL star.

John Marino is emerging as an NHL future star on defense. The Pens got depth through and even past the 4th line when healthy. Jack Johnson is playing the best he has played in years. And then there is the goaltending. Which obviously Tristan Jarry has taken over the #1 job.

Should be really interesting going into 2020 provided they leave the bad injury luck of 2019 behind.

Less than a minute in to the game last night....Justin Schultz goes awkwardly into the boards. The Pens beginning a Western Canadian swing sleep walks through the 1st period......but only manages to be down 1 thanks to Tristan Hasek Jarry. In the 2nd period they find their game, come out play strong and take the lead.

The win....playing just good solid hockey. Jarry is fantastic. Again.

I love this team. I am getting that feeling. It is early, but you can project this team playing this well, getting Crosby back and eventually Hornquist. And look out.

Are any of you paying attention, I had this thread for about a month but alot of the usual hockey suspects have been silent.

There is alot going on. Bryan Rust is having a Jake Guentzel like rise. Guentzel is now proving he is just not a product of Sidney Crosby's linemate, he is a legit NHL star.

John Marino is emerging as an NHL future star on defense. The Pens got depth through and even past the 4th line when healthy. Jack Johnson is playing the best he has played in years. And then there is the goaltending. Which obviously Tristan Jarry has taken over the #1 job.

Should be really interesting going into 2020 provided they leave the bad injury luck of 2019 behind.
Something about Marinos and Pittsburgh :) What do you think they should do with the Jarry/Murray situation? Not sure what they should do with Murray.

They have a veteran and tested backup

all teams need two quality goalies
I completely agree with you. I’m just saying that what if, hypothetically, both goalies continue their trends through this season. What do you do with them once their contracts are up? Can we afford to keep both? I honestly don’t know, that’s why I’m asking.

I completely agree with you. I’m just saying that what if, hypothetically, both goalies continue their trends through this season. What do you do with them once their contracts are up? Can we afford to keep both? I honestly don’t know, that’s why I’m asking.

No way can they afford both long term and frankly, the way Jarry is playing he might be playing Murray out of Pittsburgh if his play continues.

With the Pens Cap crunch, I can't see how they can come to paying Murray what he will get on an extension. No way at this point you can pay him top notch goalie money with the number of other high priced players on this team.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Who kidnapped Goalieman??

Speaking of....Tristan Jarry is GDO!!!!!
The Russians. Maybe the
Something about Marinos and Pittsburgh :) What do you think they should do with the Jarry/Murray situation? Not sure what they should do with Murray.

hoycrash.jpg

Both goalies are Restricted Free Agents after the season , Murray makes 3.75 million now and Jarry 675 K so maybe you get a deal with Murray next season not too much over 4 million and Jarry goes up to probably close to 2 million / easily done .
Pens will let Alex Galchenyuk walk, he makes 4.9 million and has been a bust here.

Yeah the Murray/Jarry situation is perfect. We won 2 Cups with Fleury/Murray.

What changes is going forward into next year. Murray was looking at a mega 6-8 year $50-60 million contract and now maybe not.

DeSmith is a good backup. So perhaps Murray is moved in the offseason, but there is so much season to play. People forget Murray almost had a .930 save % from last January on.....

It's a great situation to have.

John Marino is on his entry level contract, no need to offer Justin Schultz a big contract in his UFA status after this year.

My point here with these guys emerging, McCann's, Rust's, Guentzel, Jarry, Marino, Petterson, there is money there to resign who needs to be resigned and the window that looked to be closing for this franchise is now looking to be extended.

Penguins are a Team, I mean a Train that has been rolling since 91.
Good ORGIN - I - ZATION .
They have great superstars but also great role players. Ho hum , I suppose , but 5 Cups justifies .
Posts like these make me realize how lucky we are to be Pens fans. To go from Lemieux to Crosby... even Oilers fans had some time to kill between Gretzky and McDavid!

Reactions: FieldHouse12
thanks bro , The Penguins can be special at times and people will never lose that feeling.
Indeed. Some of my favorite moments of my childhood came in April, May, and June watching the Pens on their Stanley Cup runs with my dad.

Hard to put things in perspective when you’re in the moment but sometimes you just have to sit back and appreciate the run they’ve been on, because who knows how much longer it’ll last.

Reactions: FieldHouse12
ADVERTISEMENT