ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Pens/Letang another stroke (reportedly minor)

Minor is good. But having a second at that age and at that shape (he's a fitness warrior) you just wonder what underlying condition is causing this??

Any medical folks out there care to offer some thoughts??

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Minor is good. But having a second at that age and at that shape (he's a fitness warrior) you just wonder what underlying condition is causing this??

Any medical folks out there care to offer some thoughts??
i watched every episode of ER and Doogie Howser so i'll offer my thoughts.

RETIRE, you have millions, your wife is hot. RETIRE NOW!! dont stop at go, dont collect 200 bucks, just go straight to the beach, get a frozen rum drink and live your life son..

RETIRE, you have millions, your wife is hot. RETIRE NOW!! dont stop at go, dont collect 200 bucks, just go straight to the beach, get a frozen rum drink and live your life son..
Would retiring lessen his chance of another stroke? I don't know. Would spending more time with a wife no matter how hot she is increase his chance of another stroke. I suspect so. Me thinks playing professional sports and enjoying the hell out of it is living your life...

Would retiring lessen his chance of another stroke?

Jim And GIF - Jim And Pam GIFs

I’m guessing this was caused by the same defect that caused his first stroke (small hole in his heart). So probably not something impacted by his play. Maybe he eventually has surgery to repair the hole?

Yes I’d definitely be erring on the side of caution if I were him. Especially given this team isn’t likely competing for championships during his career.

Reactions: ratking17
On a selfish note, I was against re-signing all of the older penguins. Health and father time are undefeated. That said, I wish him a speedy recovery. He is an amazing talent.

Reactions: The Ole Six-Fiver
No stroke is "minor". A stroke is a very serious medical issue that can lead to death if not addressed ASAP. I wish the man all of the best, but this is something that he should have taken care of now, not later. Screw the sport of hockey, his #1 focus should be on taking care of yourself and his family.
There are minor strokes. My dad had at least one. It was still terrifying for us but the Dr. reassured us that many folks have minor strokes without even realizing it. It is possible that being a pro athlete is actually better for him than being a normal 9-5 cubicle jockey.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
I think he means that any stroke is a big deal. Of course, there are small strokes and massive strokes that kill immediately. I think the point being made was simply that a stroke is a big deal, even if minor.

No stroke is "minor". A stroke is a very serious medical issue that can lead to death if not addressed ASAP. I wish the man all of the best, but this is something that he should have taken care of now, not later. Screw the sport of hockey, his #1 focus should be on taking care of yourself and his family.
but this is something that he should have taken care of now, not later.. huh?

What the hell are you talking about ?
He went to the hospital after reporting the symptoms to the training staff .

There are minor strokes. My dad had at least one. It was still terrifying for us but the Dr. reassured us that many folks have minor strokes without even realizing it. It is possible that being a pro athlete is actually better for him than being a normal 9-5 cubicle jockey.
I have worked in the health care field for over 20+ years now and while I understand the point you are trying to make, it is nonetheless a serious medical situation that can change a person's life drastically. I can tell you this, if I am 35 year old Kris Letang and I just suffered a second stroke, regardless of the severity, I'd have to think long and hard about returning to play a physical sport like Ice Hockey. By the way, I don't think that being a professional athlete is any different then the "9-5 cubicle jockey" that you mentioned. In fact, being a professional athlete just means that there will be more extensive periods of time when he is placing his cardiovascular system under extreme stress during physical activity.
I just hope that he has access to a good Neurologist and Cardiologist who put him through all of the necessary tests to make sure he is okay before he tries to return to the sport.

What the hell are you talking about ?
He went to the hospital after reporting the symptoms to the training staff .
That is kind of scary if true. If I have a stoke before and I think I am experiencing the symptoms of another one, I sure as hell am nor calling the Penguins training staff. The first thing that I am doing is getting my rear end to the ER as soon as possible. In fact, my call would be 911.

but this is something that he should have taken care of now, not later.. huh?
If it was me, ABSOLUTELY!! Because the man has not only had one stroke but now two. Medical science will tell you that if you've experienced a stroke (regardless of its severity) you are at a higher risk of having another. Now that Letang has had two strokes, commonsense should tell us all that he is at a significantly higher risk of having another.
Strokes affect different people different ways. Obviously the more severe ones can result in paralysis or even death. Even a "minor" stroke ( a TIA) results in a loss of blood flow to the affected area of the brain. The man has to very careful and discuss the situation with not only his doctors, but his family as well. Don't know if its worth the risk of not being able to do things with your kids as they grow up.

Which I wonder, can he play on blood thinners? That is what ultimately sunk Pascal Dupuis.
He did before
That is kind of scary if true. If I have a stoke before and I think I am experiencing the symptoms of another one, I sure as hell am nor calling the Penguins training staff. The first thing that I am doing is getting my rear end to the ER as soon as possible. In fact, my call would be 911.
his symptoms was a migraine headache .
You’re calling 911 for a headache ?
Liar

But, but, if he’s going to continue to be susceptible no matter how good of shape he’s in, and he loves playing this game especially at such a high level, it’s not just a job for him, it’s like being on the beach with that rum drink for him. Not having a job like that, I can never feel what that it is like but I can imagine it. He would not admit it out loud unless he’s stupid, but similar to Tom Brady, the idyllic life may not be all wife and kids for him 24x7 (even if the wife is hot). So I can see where he might still want to play. It’s PLAY after all, not work.

I had a cardiac event a few years ago. I just felt off. Nothing acute, but went to the ER, the doc was concerned enough that with my age (too young) and just didn't like the EKG in some minor detail, when the other doctors originally said it was fine. So he did a catharization and sure enough found major blockage in the one main artery "widow maker" and put in a couple of stents. I was on blood thinner for maybe 6-8 months now just aspirin.

I have not paid enough heed to that warning sign with diet, exercise and alcohol consumption. I need to get back in line, will contend after the holidays. Sometimes though I have feelings of general malaise....and am unsure. I was traveling early this year and had panic attack, enough to send me to an ER. They did echo, blood work, EKG, etc....every things fine. But still....feel a little off sometimes.

I have a follow up with my GP in 2 weeks. I sometimes wonder if that initial event scared me so much that I am hyper vigilent and I make a simple under the weather situation into more than it is. It is hard to walk that line between vigilance and overreaction.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
So this is the first pic of Sid where he looks aged.

So this is the first pic of Sid where he looks aged.

That 2009 team might be my all time favorite Pens team. While I loved those early 90's Lemieux teams, peppered with alpha males and Hall of Famers, the personalities on the 2009 team with Talbot, Fleury, Dupuis, Billy Guerin, etc...was just a fun group. If you all seen any of the uncut celebrations from the South Side with these guys.......they certainly enjoyed it.

That 2009 team might be my all time favorite Pens team. While I loved those early 90's Lemieux teams, peppered with alpha males and Hall of Famers, the personalities on the 2009 team with Talbot, Fleury, Dupuis, Billy Guerin, etc...was just a fun group. If you all seen any of the uncut celebrations from the South Side with these guys.......they certainly enjoyed it.
Talbot fighting the flyers and going wwe heel to the crowd ignited that run

Not me man. My life has gone through cycles of fandom.

Up until 1984, it was Steelers
1984-2000ish it was the Penguins. So that 1993 team was my favorite.
2000-2012 Pitt hoops
2012 to present Chelsea football…although that’s starting to wane a bit with everything that going on there since Russia invaded Ukraine.

ADVERTISEMENT