ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens

mike 301

Head Coach
Jan 30, 2013
There's been a lot of justified positive chatter with the Philthadelphia hockey team ...
Seems like the Pens are hanging . However I kind of wonder if LeTang has reached his exp. date ...
Edit: Crosby looks like he's got another 10 years in him ... Jesus the kid's so dedicated ..

I love Letang but I think he’s simply done. I hope he proves me wrong but I wouldn’t count on it.
Agreed .. I mean , i'm sure he has as much dedication as Sid but the wheels seem to have started to to wobble a bit . Like every other guy , his heart will always be there but the brain and the physicality just can't respond simultaneously any longer ..
Not sure if you saw the videos of him and his little boy during the all star game ...
Priceless ... He's raising a great little young man ... Really a joy to watch . I recommend looking it up .... Good behind the scenes moments ...

Agreed .. I mean , i'm sure he has as much dedication as Sid but the wheels seem to have started to to wobble a bit . Like every other guy , his heart will always be there but the brain and the physicality just can't respond simultaneously any longer ..
Not sure if you saw the videos of him and his little boy during the all star game ...
Priceless ... He's raising a great little young man ... Really a joy to watch . I recommend looking it up .... Good behind the scenes moments ...

I did. That little guy is adorable. I agree it was fantastic.

Style of play still sucks.

Too fancy.

Too perimeter oriented.

No net front play at either end.
Still don't shoot the puck enough.

Throw it at the net. Get garbage goals- deflections, cleanup, screens, cheap rebounds. Just when you think they should shoot, they look for a pass and try to make a pretty play. By then, it's too late.

Yeah......it's one game, so I am not overreacting. And I am in the Anti Jim Rutherford camp, but......just 3 days after watching the Steelers implode at the end again, it is troubling watching the same old same old. Guys reach their expiration dates.

Maybe it is time for a different system if you are keeping the same core of players.

Yeah......it's one game, so I am not overreacting. And jI am in the Anti Jim Rutherford camp, but......just 3 days after watching the Steelers implode at the end again, it is troubling watching the same old same old. Guys reach their expiration dates.

Maybe it is time for a different system if you are keeping the same core of players.
Yeah at least the power play had better movement
Defense is a disaster

Last edited:
Sullivan style - Four Lines - Mobile defensemen

But also: Too fancy - too perimeter oriented - not physical - no passion - totally finese

Totally finesse never wins anywhere

Crosby, Guentzel, Rodrigues zero hits - That is an entire line - 6 defensemen 5 hits total

Yeah......it's one game, so I am not overreacting. And I am in the Anti Jim Rutherford camp, but......just 3 days after watching the Steelers implode at the end again, it is troubling watching the same old same old. Guys reach their expiration dates.

Huge fan of Sully but you may be right.......his shelf life with this group may have expired........they may need a coaching change just to shake things up..........its seem to work in the past to varying degrees........Its a testament to Sully that hes lasted this long with this group,

Reactions: Jakey_John
Huge fan of Sully but you may be right.......his shelf life with this group may have expired........they may need a coaching change just to shake things up..........its seem to work in the past to varying degrees........Its a testament to Sully that hes lasted this long with this group,
I don't agree with Mark Madden on alot of things, but I do agree with him on the following point. This style no longer works here. 26 goals in their last 14 playoff games in which the Pens went 3-11. And then somehow we get convinced to blame the 3rd and 4th lines.

The point here, the coach is the coach and he needs to recognize how they can play, not what they can play. Trap and counter. That is what they need to do. They are good on the rush. Not so good having extended zone time, and they are lapse to give up those odd man breaks. So trap and counter. It may not be sexy, but the Isles did that well and I remember then lighting the lamp.

It's only one game, but just like this past prepostseason practices where we heard how Geno was dominant, and heard the same thing in this abbreviated camp and then the games come and....well.....he's invisible.

You Jack Johnson fans will love this. I am watching the Rangers/Isles game and on his first shift he takes a penalty that leads to an early PPG. Then with the Rangers down 2-0 he turns the puck over in the neutral zone and it leads to a Barzal snipe goal. I realize that we traded in one punching bag for another likely one (Ceci), but thank goodness that era is over.

You Jack Johnson fans will love this. I am watching the Rangers/Isles game and on his first shift he takes a penalty that leads to an early PPG. Then with the Rangers down 2-0 he turns the puck over in the neutral zone and it leads to a Barzal snipe goal. I realize that we traded in one punching bag for another likely one (Ceci), but thank goodness that era is over.
Ceci was competent
Matheson is hot garbage

A few comments/observations regarding Game 1 the other night ........

- Because of the short preseason and no exhibition games I'm not overly concerned about the team yet ...... we lost 6-3 but it was 3-3 in the 3rd period, it's not like they came out and blew us out early, we were in the game in the 3rd period ....... we'll see how they develop.

- I was fairly pleased with the 3rd line of McCann/Jankowski/Tanev who scored 2 of the 3 goals and were our best line ...... hopefully they can keep up their good play.

- Malkin's line seemed a bit lethargic but did have a few good chances ..... I think in the long run that will be a good line.

- We need Kapanen to get into the lineup on Sid's line as soon as he can and hope he plays up to expectations.

- Forecheck was not as strong as we need except by line #3.

- Defense in our own end was overall poor ...... we just aren't always good positionally and don't seem to always know our assignments ..... need to have more structure there.

- I'm not concerned so much about the number of hits we have but more about our overall physicality or lack thereof ...... it's not only hits but also strength/physicality to win battles along the boards and strength/physicality to move or tie up opponents in front of our net, etc. ...... we had some problems there.

- A few too many odd man breaks against us.

- I agree that we may need to consider trapping more as "recruits" said above ....... there was a long stretch of games last season where we trapped and did well, then dropped it and didn't do as well ...... not sure why the coaches did that.

- Power play did move the puck pretty well and there was more interchanging of positions but still wasn't very effective ..... we were 1 for 3 on the PP but only because of Crosby's highlight real goal (when he batted down the ill-advised pass from the Flyers goalie from behind the net up the middle) and one handed it into the net ..... an amazing goal ...... hopefully, with time, the PP will improve and yes, I'd like to see more shots on goal on the PP.

- Penalty kill was poor ..... Flyers were 2 for 3 on their PP ...... both goals were on deflections right in front of a screened Jarry ...... our Dmen couldn't get the Flyers out of the slot nor control the Flyers sticks.

- Jarry was hung out to dry by our defense quite a bit but he had some technique problems on a couple of the goals (goals #3,#6, and maybe, maybe not #4) that he needs to look at on tape and get corrected in practice.

- We were really poor on face-offs especially in our own end and that needs to improve.

- Matheson was on the ice for 3 goals and in the penalty box for another ...... he can skate and looks to have some offensive potential but needs to improve in his own end ..... they need to simplify things and give more structure to him in the defensive zone IMO ...... with the short preseason, he had limited time to get used to the Pens system and teammates so hopefully they can coach him up with time ....... I'm not overly confident but think he could improve and will need to be patient and give him some time to see.

- Game #2 Friday ..... hoping to see some adjustments and better results !

Last edited:
A few comments/observations regarding Game 1 the other night ........

- Because of the short preseason and no exhibition games I'm not overly concerned about the team yet ...... we lost 6-3 but it was 3-3 in the 3rd period, it's not like they came out and blew us out early, we were in the game in the 3rd period ....... we'll see how they develop.

- I was fairly pleased with the 3rd line of McCann/Jankowski/Tanev who scored 2 of the 3 goals and were our best line ...... hopefully they can keep up their good play.

- Malkin's line seemed a bit lethargic but did have a few good chances ..... I think in the long run that will be a good line.

- We need Kapanen to get into the lineup on Sid's line as soon as he can and hope he plays up to expectations.

- Forecheck was not as strong as we need except by line #3.

- Defense in our own end was overall poor ...... we just aren't always good positionally and don't seem to always know our assignments ..... need to have more structure there.

- I'm not concerned so much about the number of hits we have but more about our overall physicality or lack thereof ...... it's not only hits but also strength/physicality to win battles along the boards and strength/physicality to move or tie up opponents in front of our net, etc. ...... we had some problems there.

- A few too many odd man breaks against us.

- I agree that we may need to consider trapping more as "recruits" said above ....... there was a long stretch of games last season where we trapped and did well, then dropped it and didn't do as well ...... not sure why the coaches did that.

- Power play did move the puck pretty well and there was more interchanging of positions but still wasn't very effective ..... we were 1 for 3 on the PP but only because of Crosby's highlight real goal (when he batted down the ill-advised pass from the Flyers goalie from behind the net up the middle) and one handed it into the net ..... an amazing goal ...... hopefully, with time, the PP will improve and yes, I'd like to see more shots on goal on the PP.

- Penalty kill was poor ..... Flyers were 2 for 3 on their PP ...... both goals were on deflections right in front of a screened Jarry ...... our Dmen couldn't get the Flyers out of the slot nor control the Flyers sticks.

- Jarry was hung out to dry by our defense quite a bit but he had some technique problems on a couple of the goals (goals #3,#6, and maybe, maybe not #4) that he needs to look at on tape and get corrected in practice.

- We were really poor on face-offs especially in our own end and that needs to improve.

- Matheson was on the ice for 3 goals and in the penalty box for another ...... he can skate and looks to have some offensive potential but needs to improve in his own end ..... they need to simplify things and give more structure to him in the defensive zone IMO ...... with the short preseason, he had limited time to get used to the Pens system and teammates so hopefully they can coach him up with time ....... I'm not overly confident but think he could improve and will need to be patient and give him some time to see.

- Game #2 Friday ..... hoping to see some adjustments and better results !
Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. This has become our Penguins I am afraid.

Reactions: gary2
1-Hope GM Rutherford retires
2-Trade Malkin and Letang
3-Hope one of those young goalies drafted last season becomes great .

I have been harping on giving Sully a pink slip since the no show against the Isanders in the playoffs two years ago. They have had success when they change coaches and take on a new system. It seems to focus them better.

This is the year our Pens end their playoff streak. The division is too good for a team that plays hockey the way the Pens do. They are too old to be a speed team. They are way to soft to be a physical team. Perhaps most notably, they are woefully weak in front of the net at both ends of the ice.

We will be dominated around the net by every team we play. They have really hung on to everybody to long. GMJR and Sully should be gone. At this point, Crosby and Geno are to old to carry a team to a cup. Therefore, since the window is closed, they need to clean house and start working on loading the system with prospects. Syd and Geno should no longer be considered must keeps.

I would guess they can Sully after this season, which will be three years to late!

Reactions: gary2
I have been harping on giving Sully a pink slip since the no show against the Isanders in the playoffs two years ago. They have had success when they change coaches and take on a new system. It seems to focus them better.

This is the year our Pens end their playoff streak. The division is too good for a team that plays hockey the way the Pens do. They are too old to be a speed team. They are way to soft to be a physical team. Perhaps most notably, they are woefully weak in front of the net at both ends of the ice.

We will be dominated around the net by every team we play. They have really hung on to everybody to long. GMJR and Sully should be gone. At this point, Crosby and Geno are to old to carry a team to a cup. Therefore, since the window is closed, they need to clean house and start working on loading the system with prospects. Syd and Geno should no longer be considered must keeps.

I would guess they can Sully after this season, which will be three years to late!
Team too much Schinkel Dea, Ingarfield, Woytowich and Price types.

Need more Errey, Borque, Loney, Samuelson and Taglianetti types.

Last edited:
PP goal, 3rd line playing well again so far, great save on breakaway by DeSmith, using a 1-2-2 trap in 1st period tonight ...... Pens back in it after down 3.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Crosby will be able to hang because he’s on of the hardest working skilled players to ever play. Geno and Letang are toast though. As is Mike Sullivan. I agree with Pittisit4me. Sullivan shouldn’t have survived the season after the sweep from the Islanders.

He will be gone in due time but this schedule is brutal. It maybe too little too late.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Pens dominated 2nd period but couldn't score ...... still down 3-2 after two periods.

Pens blew a really good opportunity late in 2nd period when they got a 2 on 1 with Rodrigues and Guentzel and Rodrigues couldn't finish the play ...... that is where they could have used Kapanen on the 1st line.

Pens dominated 2nd period but couldn't score ...... still down 3-2 after two periods.

Pens blew a really good opportunity late in 2nd period when they got a 2 on 1 with Rodrigues and Guentzel and Rodrigues couldn't finish the play ...... that is where they could have used Kapanen on the 1st line.
But we got Bob Dillabough instead. Why did they bring this guy back?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT