ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens

So a lot of reasons Fleury's game has further blossomed and flourished in Vegas and he is starting to make a somewhat better case for the HOF.
Kind of sounds like his case is already made. He's really climbed the all-time lists. Another SCF wouldn't hurt.

Isles-Bruins game tonight looked like a Pens-Isles game in that Boston outshot them about 2-1 and lost.

Watching these series, it is becoming more and more evident the Pens window is closed. Everyone focuses on the goalie, the goalie, the goalie, the goalie.....but when your top player, your best player, your all time 1st ballot HOF, slam dunk has 6 points in his last 3 playoff series.....total..........it's over. Sid (and Geno) will put up regular season numbers, but just no longer have the magic, the speed, the physical ability to will through the morass of playoff hockey.

Here's another thing.....it is time to give the Islanders the credit they deserve. They are BETTER than the Penguins. They went to the Eastern Conference Finals last year. They swept the Pens the year before. They are one game from the Eastern Conference finals this year. While they don't have a Sid or Geno in their prime, here's a secret, neither do the Penguins!!! The Isles lineup is full up and down of former #1 picks.

And yes, they have superior goaltending. But their goalie gave up 4 goals yesterday. And the Isles still managed to win. There is no rule in playoff hockey that the goalie must shut out or limit the opposition to 2 goals or less to win.

Here's another thing.....it is time to give the Islanders the credit they deserve. They are BETTER than the Penguins. They went to the Eastern Conference Finals last year. They swept the Pens the year before. They are one game from the Eastern Conference finals this year. While they don't have a Sid or Geno in their prime, here's a secret, neither do the Penguins!!! The Isles lineup is full up and down of former #1 picks.
The one narrative from this post-season I've been reluctant to accept is the bare assumption that the Pens would've won the series had they gotten decent goaltending. Although clearly Jarry was sub-par, I've been reluctant because of what Jack Zdurenzik (what happened to him) would say all the time on Pirates pre/post games, the game is not sequential. You can't simply assume that had Jarry stopped a few of the goals the Pens would've won the game. Maybe if Jarry was less leaky the Isles dial up their offense in that circumstance and score a few more goals or control the territory a bit more and prevent some of the Pens chances.

The one narrative from this post-season I've been reluctant to accept is the bare assumption that the Pens would've won the series had they gotten decent goaltending. Although clearly Jarry was sub-par, I've been reluctant because of what Jack Zdurenzik (what happened to him) would say all the time on Pirates pre/post games, the game is not sequential. You can't simply assume that had Jarry stopped a few of the goals the Pens would've won the game. Maybe if Jarry was less leaky the Isles dial up their offense in that circumstance and score a few more goals or control the territory a bit more and prevent some of the Pens chances.
I said the same thing.........take Game 5.....Jarry gave up that bad OT goal on his turnover. It was in the Second OT! So if he doesn't give that up, with the way the Pens weren't scoring, who's to say they would have won that game? Maybe Barzal or Eberle makes a great play and beats Jarry anyways.

I don't subscribe that the Pens dominated the Islanders that much, the Isles still played the way they always played, the Pens never stopped that. And again, Sidney Crosby had 2 points. He has 6 points, and was a minus 6 in his last 3 playoff series. I am certainly not placing all the blame on Sid and his line, but they aren't paid to be a 3rd line checking line. It is evident that he has lost some of his physical prowess (as has Malkin) I mean when was the last time Sid come into the zone during the post season and just BEAT a goalie with a move or a shot?

Also, the Penguins are the second smallest team. I'll take big and good over small and good every time. I'll take big and fast over small and fast every team. Point here, other teams are good and fast, they are just bigger. The Pens now, as they are constructed, with aging stars, small in stature lineup and shaky goaltending is not built for any type of playoff run. And they might now be for a long time now....that is the sobering reality that is becoming more apparent every day.

Watching these series, it is becoming more and more evident the Pens window is closed. Everyone focuses on the goalie, the goalie, the goalie, the goalie.....but when your top player, your best player, your all time 1st ballot HOF, slam dunk has 6 points in his last 3 playoff series.....total..........it's over. Sid (and Geno) will put up regular season numbers, but just no longer have the magic, the speed, the physical ability to will through the morass of playoff hockey.

And yes, they have superior goaltending. But their goalie gave up 4 goals yesterday. And the Isles still managed to win. There is no rule in playoff hockey that the goalie must shut out or limit the opposition to 2 goals or less to win.
I agree on the Islanders. The first year under Trotz when they completely changed their system and then subsequently swept the Pens I thought it was a one-year fluke. No way Trotz could keep these guys playing that way. Well, they have and it’s been interesting because every season they have had these 5-6 game stretches where they wander from the system and look terrible, but Trotz is able to get them back on track. He’s becoming a HOF-level coach.

Also, let’s not forget that the Isles are without Anders Lee and also Oliver Wahlstrom, who really came into bloom this year.

I would have no problem if they won the Cup. I admire the way they play and I think they are certainly capable of winning it all.

ADVERTISEMENT