ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens

Phil bourque served only one role in the team -

We always used to joke that Bob Errey scored 20 goals in a season as Mario Lemieux's full time winger, which meant that a cement block would have scored 15. And Jay Caufield would have score 12.

But sure, these guys were all above average players.

We always used to joke that Bob Errey scored 20 goals in a season as Mario Lemieux's full time winger, which meant that a cement block would have scored 15. And Jay Caufield would have score 12.

But sure, these guys were all above average players.
Even past his prime I would always laugh when Mario would direct oliwa where to post and where to put his stick - and Mario would deflect off his stick for goals

Reactions: Chem95
Jesus Christ, can you people stop it and focus on today? What happened way back when has nothing to do with our problems of today. You quickly made this thread boring. Joe, goddamit, you don't always have to be right. Just walk away once in awhile.

Jesus Christ, can you people stop it and focus on today? What happened way back when has nothing to do with our problems of today. You quickly made this thread boring. Joe, goddamit, you don't always have to be right. Just walk away once in awhile.
But he was right
Blame Gary for making it about below average players from decades ago

But he was right
Blame Gary for making it about below average players from decades ago
Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but you need not kiss Joe's ass. Sometimes people say things and get called out. Those players are not great. Having said that, they also are not "well below average"!

Reactions: gary2

Matheson looks like Hell. That’s going to end up being a bad pickup unfortunately.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
What are your thoughts on proper sushi eating ?

Joe is slipping. I saw Sean McDermott call a timeout tonite on 4th and 4 at midfield with a minute plus left in the half instead of just taking the 5 yard penalty. The Bills had 2 timeouts left so we all know how stupid that call was, but I saw nary a word about it from Joe.

- OK, it was obvious that the Pens just didn't play well enough against the Flyers and I agree with much of the criticism of the Pens in this thread ..... Guentzel looks like he is avoiding contact, Rodrigues is a 4th liner who should not be playing on the 1st line, Geno looks out of sorts and not contributing with the question of whether he is in rapid decline or is not ready yet with the lack of pre-season practice time and exhibition games, the defense has not cleared the slot, is not physical enough, too often out of position, some of their pinches have resulted in odd man breaks especially when the forwards don't cover up, Letang has lost a step, Jarry was just bad, we have a lot of problems ..... but ......

- Although we lost both games, there were long stretches in both games against the Flyers where we dominated and this is confirmed by advanced stats ...... our CF% for the two games was 57.66% and FF% 60.41 both of which are really good for puck possession which often is thought to correlate with winning hockey ....... our xGF (expected goals for) was 3.34 and xGA (expected goals against) 2.58 which means based on the number and quality of shots in those two games, we were expected to score more goals then the Flyers ...... that they outscored us means either we didn't finish our chances and they did and/or their goalie made the saves and ours didn't ...... we actually had 17 high danger (grade A) shots and the Flyers 16, so we had our chances.

- Let's take a look at the goalie stats of Jarry to see just how badly he played or was it his defense being bad that was the main problem for him ...... I'm not going to use GAA (goals against average) nor SV% (save %) which are dependent on how both the goalie and the defense plays but use advanced stats, GSAx (goals saved above expected) and dSV% (delta save %) both of which indicate how the goalie is playing independent of how the defense is playing ( the goalie can still be playing well even if his defense is playing poorly and vice versa)...... GSAx is a cumulative stat that represents the number of goals allowed by a goalie compared to the number of goals that an average NHL goalie would be expected to allow for the same number and difficulty of shots ( GSAx = number of goals expected against an average NHL goalie on the same number and difficulty of shots minus the number of goals given up by the goalie) ...... dSV% is the goalies SV% minus the SV% an average NHL goalie would make on the same shots the goalie faced ...... these advanced goalie stats tell how a goalie is performing compared to how an average NHL goalie would perform against the same shots which makes it independent of how your defense is playing ...... a positive GSAx or dSV% means the goalie is performing better then the average NHL goalie and a negative GSAx or dSV% means the goalie is performing worse then the average NHL facing the same shots (again this is independent of how the defense is playing) ...... before today, 35 goalies had played in an NHL game this season ...... Jarry's GSAx was a minus 5.44 (35th out of 35 goalies) and dSV% a minus 12.82 (34th out of 35 goalies) ..... Jarry was basically the worst goalie in the NHL after Friday's games ..... also, Jarry save % on high danger shots was ~40% and Hart's ~86% ...... so although the defense was bad, Jarry was also very bad independent of how the defense played.

- Things I'm watching that might make the team better ......
1) Kapanen to replace Rodrigues as RW on the 1st line ...... ? when Kapanen will be ready and up to par but he should upgrade that line hopefully a significant amount which would make the team better.

2) Jarry needs to start playing like last season ...... hopefully, he and the goalie coach watched some film today and worked on his game ...... needs to get back to basics ...... in analyzing the 9 goals he gave up in the 1st two games, there were 4 or 5 he could have played better ..... there were problems with angles on a couple goals, too deep on a couple, got behind on the play a couple times, bad technique on one and bad rebound on one ...... these problems are correctable for him ....... I would be shocked if he didn't play a lot better soon which would help the team enormously.

3) Malkin ...... the question is whether he is in rapid decline and/or just needs more time to get his game together with the short pre-season and lack of exhibition games/practice time ........ he may be declining but I think he will play better then he has so far.

4) Not sure what to think about Jake but the way he is playing you have to wonder if he is still hurt ...... hopefully, he is healthy or gets there and finds his game again ..... that would really help the team.

5) We are still adjusting to new coaches and systems regarding the PP and PK and with limited practice time pre-season, I think with time both special team units will get better.

6) Need more structure and discipline to prevent odd man breaks especially when the defense pinches ..... this has been a problem for awhile, hopefully, new coaches can get the team to improve on this.

7) Then there is the defense which has been really poor and will be the biggest problem to improve ...... we aren't physical enough for sure but there are some things that may help somewhat ....... we need to improve our positioning/assignments in our own end ...... we need the forwards to back check and help out more in the defensive end ....... Letang's skating has lost a step and you see what looks like further decline in his game so it may be time to decrease his minutes and increase Marino's minutes instead (we'll have to see what Dr.
vonYinzer says about this, hehe) ...... I'm not against trading Letang during the season but only if it improves the team ........ might have to try some of the young guys like P-O Joseph ....... we could consider a trade but don't have a depth of assets now to offer ..... they weren't great but I thought the 3rd defensive line played better in the 2nd game, Matheson was better and I think it may have been because of his new partner (Ruhwedel) who played pretty well ..... of course, when Chad Ruhwedel is playing better then your 1st line defense, you are in trouble !

8) My guess is that we won't make the playoffs as the team has too many weaknesses and the East Division is really tough, but It's too early to count them out yet IMO ..... if we don't make the playoffs, then there is no question that it's time to rebuild (this is going to occur sooner then later anyhow).

SORRY for the long post.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
- OK, it was obvious that the Pens just didn't play well enough against the Flyers and I agree with much of the criticism of the Pens in this thread ..... Guentzel looks like he is avoiding contact, Rodrigues is a 4th liner who should not be playing on the 1st line, Geno looks out of sorts and not contributing with the question of whether he is in rapid decline or is not ready yet with the lack of pre-season practice time and exhibition games, the defense has not cleared the slot, is not physical enough, too often out of position, some of their pinches have resulted in odd man breaks especially when the forwards don't cover up, Letang has lost a step, Jarry was just bad, we have a lot of problems ..... but ......

- Although we lost both games, there were long stretches in both games against the Flyers where we dominated and this is confirmed by advanced stats ...... our CF% for the two games was 57.66% and FF% 60.41 both of which are really good for puck possession which often is thought to correlate with winning hockey ....... our xGF (expected goals for) was 3.34 and xGA (expected goals against) 2.58 which means based on the number and quality of shots in those two games, we were expected to score more goals then the Flyers ...... that they outscored us means either we didn't finish our chances and they did and/or their goalie made the saves and ours didn't ...... we actually had 17 high danger (grade A) shots and the Flyers 16, so we had our chances.

- Let's take a look at the goalie stats of Jarry to see just how badly he played or was it his defense being bad that was the main problem for him ...... I'm not going to use GAA (goals against average) nor SV% (save %) which are dependent on how both the goalie and the defense plays but use advanced stats, GSAx (goals saved above expected) and dSV% (delta save %) both of which indicate how the goalie is playing independent of how the defense is playing ( the goalie can still be playing well even if his defense is playing poorly and vice versa)...... GSAx is a cumulative stat that represents the number of goals allowed by a goalie compared to the number of goals that an average NHL goalie would be expected to allow for the same number and difficulty of shots ( GSAx = number of goals expected against an average NHL goalie on the same number and difficulty of shots minus the number of goals given up by the goalie) ...... dSV% is the goalies SV% minus the SV% an average NHL goalie would make on the same shots the goalie faced ...... these advanced goalie stats tell how a goalie is performing compared to how an average NHL goalie would perform against the same shots which makes it independent of how your defense is playing ...... a positive GSAx or dSV% means the goalie is performing better then the average NHL goalie and a negative GSAx or dSV% means the goalie is performing worse then the average NHL facing the same shots (again this is independent of how the defense is playing) ...... before today, 35 goalies had played in an NHL game this season ...... Jarry's GSAx was a minus 5.44 (35th out of 35 goalies) and dSV% a minus 12.82 (34th out of 35 goalies) ..... Jarry was basically the worst goalie in the NHL after Friday's games ..... also, Jarry save % on high danger shots was ~40% and Hart's ~86% ...... so although the defense was bad, Jarry was also very bad independent of how the defense played.

1) Kapanen to replace Rodrigues as RW on the 1st line ...... ? when Kapanen will be ready and up to par but he should upgrade that line hopefully a significant amount which would make the team better.

2) Jarry needs to start playing like last season ...... hopefully, he and the goalie coach watched some film today and worked on his game ...... needs to get back to basics ...... in analyzing the 9 goals he gave up in the 1st two games, there were 4 or 5 he could have played better ..... there were problems with angles on a couple goals, too deep on a couple, got behind on the play a couple times, bad technique on one and bad rebound on one ...... these problems are correctable for him ....... I would be shocked if he didn't play a lot better soon which would help the team enormously.

3) Malkin ...... the question is whether he is in rapid decline and/or just needs more time to get his game together with the short pre-season and lack of exhibition games/practice time ........ he may be declining but I think he will play better then he has so far.

4) Not sure what to think about Jake but the way he is playing you have to wonder if he is still hurt ...... hopefully, he is healthy or gets there and finds his game again ..... that would really help the team.

5) We are still adjusting to new coaches and systems regarding the PP and PK and with limited practice time pre-season, I think with time both special team units will get better.

6) Need more structure and discipline to prevent odd man breaks especially when the defense pinches ..... this has been a problem for awhile, hopefully, new coaches can get the team to improve on this.

7) Then there is the defense which has been really poor and will be the biggest problem to improve ...... we aren't physical enough for sure but there are some things that may help somewhat ....... we need to improve our positioning/assignments in our own end ...... we need the forwards to back check and help out more in the defensive end ....... Letang's skating has lost a step and you see what looks like further decline in his game so it may be time to decrease his minutes and increase Marino's minutes instead (we'll have to see what Dr.
vonYinzer says about this, hehe) ...... I'm not against trading Letang during the season but only if it improves the team ........ might have to try some of the young guys like P-O Joseph ....... we could consider a trade but don't have a depth of assets now to offer ..... they weren't great but I thought the 3rd defensive line played better in the 2nd game, Matheson was better and I think it may have been because of his new partner (Ruhwedel) who played pretty well ..... of course, when Chad Ruhwedel is playing better then your 1st line defense, you are in trouble !

8) My guess is that we won't make the playoffs as the team has too many weaknesses and the East Division is really tough, but It's too early to count them out yet IMO ..... if we don't make the playoffs, then there is no question that it's time to rebuild (this is going to occur sooner then later anyhow).

SORRY for the long post.
[/QUOTE]
Aside from goalie analytics, it is why I think hockey analytics are......completely geek attempts to try and be relevant. I don't care how much puck possession a team has, I care about team getting chances, preventing chances, and getting traffic and rebounds on the offensive end, preventing them on the defensive end. I often say, I would love to see the analytics of some of those 90's Pens teams, where they would say get out shot 30-20 but win 6-3. They were snipers and created unbelievable chances and max'd out when they had the chance.

I can't argue about Jarry, it was the worst fear heading into this year, that he was not up to the task. Whether it was positioning (two deep) or rebound control (not good) or use of stick to prevent passes through the goal mouth (non existent) it is not what we needed.

Still. 2 more Pens games, 2 more games capped at scoring 3 goals or less. In fact in their last 17 games against "playoff" teams, they haven't scored over 3 goals. It might be time to stop looking at diminutive wingers who can skate, but maybe not natural scorers, who's best work is on the perimeter or break and start looking at a mix of guys who are bigger, heavy and can and will go to the net with some hands. This is not working.

Defense?? LOL.....just all over the place. Less Letang is maybe a good thing. Why is he on the PP again? It is not 2016. Maybe it is time for someone else to run it. Maybe a guy like Calen Addison (oh wait, traded).

I am completely bearish (opposite of bullish) on this team. I think they hit their expiration date, I think the overpaying for decent but not great players and the chase for a 3rd line Center has finally caught up with them. I think the unwillingness to even go with younger guys (Marino got a chance, why not forwards?) and I think it is time for Coach's to instruct the players THIS IS WHERE YOU PLAY AND WHO YOU PLAY WITH, instead of letting them always dictate. The parallels between the Steelers and Pens are significant.

SORRY for the long post.
[/QUOTE]
I agree with damn near everything you said. The only thing I don't agree with is that you haven't counted them out. There are too many problems to right the ship. I want the rebuild to begin now.

I am open to trading anyone. I want to see as many of our young guys playing as possible. I want a new coach and GM in place as soon as possible. It is time! The window is shut on Syd and Geno!

The franchise needs to stop pretending. We need to start fresh. Maybe just keep Syd around as a positive influence on the young guys. He is a great leader and can teach any kid how hard you need to work if you want to excel in the NHL.

SORRY for the long post.
[/QUOTE]
Whatever happened to division of labor?

When Paul Baxter played for the Pens he would clear the front of the net. His defensive partner would do the chasing.

When Paul Baxter played for the Pens he would clear the front of the net. His defensive partner would do the chasing.
[/QUOTE]
Dude...focus. It is not the 1970's and the Pens sucked in the 1970's so any reference is stupid.

Marino is usually such a heady player but Washington’s second goal is highly on him ...

Dude...focus. It is not the 1970's and the Pens sucked in the 1970's so any reference is stupid.
[/QUOTE]
How about Todd Gill?

The other team is on a power play with this years team leading 4-3 with 2 minutes to go in the game:

what defensive pairing does Sullivan put out? Who has the primary responsibility to clear the front of the neat?

[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

The references to the 70’s Pens are comical. But amusing.

Marino is usually such a heady player but Washington’s second goal is highly on him ...
That was just an inexplicable play. Overall, Way too much open ice and way too many poor puck decisions up and down the lineup. Dumo and Rust both passed on shot attempts. It’s almost as if this team is averse to attempting to score dirty goals.

Reactions: CCHS82 and gary2
That was just an inexplicable play. Overall, Way too much open ice and way too many poor puck decisions up and down the lineup. Dumo and Rust both passed on shot attempts. It’s almost as if this team is averse to attempting to score dirty goals.
There is no "as if" about it. We are the only team in the league that is obsessed with pretty goals and faking the goalie out and having an empty net to put the puck in. That is why this team hasn't scored more than 3 goals in any of its last 17 games against playoff teams.

This team is getting harder and harder to watch. They haven't hit Bucco level yet, but, they are headed there fast. Please fire Sully today so we can get a coach that changes things. Please fire GMJR so we can keep some number one picks to rebuild this team.

Reactions: Dan1911 and gary2
This is an amazing replay; it looks like it hit the white block, not the post from an angle ... what is that white block in the goal? A camera?

This is an amazing replay; it looks like it hit the white block, not the post from an angle ... what is that white block in the goal? A camera?

I believe it is the camera.

If it takes this long to make a decision then the call on the ice has to stand. How can they say that anything we have seen so far is conclusive?

Reactions: TheChair
I believe it is the camera.

If it takes this long to make a decision then the call on the ice has to stand. How can they say that anything we have seen so far is conclusive?
I think the one angle clearly shows it hitting the block and that is conclusive as it is inside of the goal.

There is no "as if" about it. We are the only team in the league that is obsessed with pretty goals and faking the goalie out and having an empty net to put the puck in. That is why this team hasn't scored more than 3 goals in any of its last 17 games against playoff teams.

This team is getting harder and harder to watch. They haven't hit Bucco level yet, but, they are headed there fast. Please fire Sully today so we can get a coach that changes things. Please fire GMJR so we can keep some number one picks to rebuild this team.

These are legitimate gripes but were also the only team in the last 20 years to win B2B cups.

Like they ever listened?
tenor.gif

Not quite sure what the Penguins' defensemen are doing today. Play is very uneven. They look really rusty, to stay the least.

I wish that the Penguins had someone like Ulf that when Wilson just took that run at the net likely would have mashed him on the ground some instead of watching him mouth off to the refs ...

Reactions: HailToPitt725
These are legitimate gripes but were also the only team in the last 20 years to win B2B cups.
Oh I hear you. I am not happy if I am not being somewhat critical! They have been a joy to watch for the most part from Lemieux right through the Crosby and Geno years. I can see the end is near tho, and can't help being down on them. That said, they are working hard today and putting in a pretty nice effort. They haven't quit on Sully yet, but, it might not be that far away if they don't get some good results soon.

We had Reeves - Rutherford thought he was needed - Sullivan refused to play him
That whole sequence of events just baffled me. They won back-to-back Cups playing the speed game on all four lines, they acquire Reeves and refused to adjust to his strengths, dump him to Vegas, and then proceed to move away from that style.

ADVERTISEMENT