ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens

If we keep trying this trick and it keeps working, eventually someone’s going to claim him!
He’s making $1.2 million, which isn’t huge, but more than teams probably want to pay a 4th liner. In the meantime putting him through waivers can clear cap in case they need do add at the deadline. He could get claimed, but frankly, they’re going to need to clear spots once some guys get healthy.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
If we keep trying this trick and it keeps working, eventually someone’s going to claim him!

Once you clear waivers you don't have to be assigned to the minors right away. The Penguins wouldn't have to put Scevior on waivers again to send him to the minors for 30 days or until he plays 10 games (from the time he got waived), whichever comes first.

A few of NHL.com’s writers predicted Ryan Getzlaf going to the Pens. Not sure what we’d have to give up but I don’t think I’d mind that move. Could make Aston-Reese/Blueger/Tanev the fourth line again and give Getzlaf Zucker and Rodrigues.

Only thing I don't like about that is - Getzlaf is slowww.

It will be an interesting 24 hours now.
Hopefully they just add a 4th liner and call it a day. A guy like Deslauriers would be just fine. Definitely need extra bottom six depth for the playoffs. I don’t think you can rely on Lafferty, Angello, Jankowski or Zohorna in the playoffs. Of course, this assumes Tanev is back and healthy by the playoffs, otherwise those guys have to play. And of course, the other X factor is Geno and Kapanen.

Only thing I don't like about that is - Getzlaf is slowww.
Getzlaf would definitely be a good guy to add, but he has a no-move clause and I think they would have to overpay for his name value in the league. Brian Burke brought him into the NHL so perhaps him along with Getzlaf’s Team Canada history with Sid would be enough for him to life the NMC. Would be quite interesting!

That sure did move fast. Wonder how he fits in on this team. Guess a right-handed center can’t hurt. I really haven’t followed him for a while... does he still have some of his wheels?
I haven’t been following Carter either.

However, this trade has me more worried about Malkin’s wheels than Carter’s. 🤷‍♂️

However, this trade has me more worried about Malkin’s wheels than Carter’s. 🤷‍♂️
Very true. The optimist in me hopes this is with the Gaudreau injury in mind, though you’re likely correct. I’m just hoping everyone can get back in the lineup come playoff time.

How about this; I read he’s been playing RW in Los Angeles lately. Perhaps it’s insurance for Malkin and Kapanen/Tanev?

Reactions: HOF Coach
How about this; I read he’s been playing RW in Los Angeles lately. Perhaps it’s insurance for Malkin and Kapanen/Tanev?

I'm quite curious how this plays out. From a friend in LA: "Spent the first half of the year playing Alumni style hockey, but has been much improved over the past few weeks. Carter has not been happy or motivated playing wing on L3 with a bunch of scrubs on a bad team. Skating's still there, hands are slowing down, but he's still got the big shot. Hasn't been a prolific goal scorer since the Achilles injury. Still takes some face offs, but not that many, and it's fallen off a bit this year. If he can get motivated to really care again, this could be a very strong move for Pittsburgh."

From a local Kings fan: "He's become a bit of a utility forward. Plays center and wing.
More of a shooter than playmaker. Though he's still willing to go to dirty areas to score (he doesn't just rely on one type of shot). He looks lazy in his skating, but that's just from having very effective skating mechanics."

"He's been hot and cold the past few seasons. Injuries and age taking its toll.
He isn't a hero who rises in clutch moments. Not that he's soft. He's just not one who elevates his game any differently. However, just when you think he's fallen off the face of the earth, he'll show up with the kind of goal you needed and you'll think "where has this guy been?"

"Toffoli and Pearson excelled under him. He can be good for youth or vets. While he has moments of disappearing from the scoresheet, he's easy to play with since he is very consistent in his style of play. It was time for him to move on. The youth has outplayed him. But he will be missed for all that he brought."

Not going to buy in till I see the guy play a few strong games, but their's some real potential upside to the move IMO, especially if he comes around in the face off circle. We could really use a Cullen type high motivation vet, maybe he provides that.

Last edited:

I'm quite curious how this plays out. From a friend in LA: "Spent the first half of the year playing Alumni style hockey, but has been much improved over the past few weeks. Carter has not been happy or motivated playing wing on L3 with a bunch of scrubs on a bad team. Skating's still there, hands are slowing down, but he's still got the big shot. Hasn't been a prolific goal scorer since the Achilles injury. Still takes some face offs, but not that many, and it's fallen off a bit this year. If he can get motivated to really care again, this could be a very strong move for Pittsburgh."

From a local Kings fan: "He's become a bit of a utility forward. Plays center and wing.
More of a shooter than playmaker. Though he's still willing to go to dirty areas to score (he doesn't just rely on one type of shot). He looks lazy in his skating, but that's just from having very effective skating mechanics.

He's been hot and cold the past few seasons. Injuries and age taking its toll.
He isn't a hero who rises in clutch moments. Not that he's soft. He's just not one who elevates his game any differently. However, just when you think he's fallen off the face of the earth, he'll show up with the kind of goal you needed and you'll think "where has this guy been?"

Toffoli and Pearson excelled under him. He can be good for youth or vets. While he has moments of disappearing from the scoresheet, he's easy to play with since he is very consistent in his style of play. It was time for him to move on. The youth has outplayed him. But he will be missed for all that he brought."

Not going to buy in till I see the guy play a few strong games, but their's some real potential upside to the move IMO, especially if he comes around in the face off circle. We could really use a Cullen type high motivation vet, maybe he provides that.
I’m hoping he can have a Guerin/2009-esque resurgence. I also don’t mind it for what they gave up. Two conditional picks and LA retained 50% of his cap. It’s also alleged that he’s retiring after the season so if it doesn’t work out, they’re off the hook moving forward.

Boston, not unexpectedly, picked up Taylor Hall for a relatively cheap price. In fact, this is such a buyer's market, if I am the Pens I still kick the tires on a physical rental. If it means giving up an Angello or a Lafferty, so be it. I still believe the Pens need a bit more of a physical presence and seeing the relatively low prices, it might make sense.

Back to Boston, I am sorry, Taylor Hall is a dog. A complete dog. Maybe going to Boston will reinvigorate him. But honestly, he has the same number of 30+ goal seasons in the NHL as Jason Zucker has (1) with more seasons. He has been a plus player once. He's a perimeter player, who had one MVP type of season. I don't think this changes the balance of power in the East Division at all.

Reactions: CougarClaws
Boston, not unexpectedly, picked up Taylor Hall for a relatively cheap price. In fact, this is such a buyer's market, if I am the Pens I still kick the tires on a physical rental. If it means giving up an Angello or a Lafferty, so be it. I still believe the Pens need a bit more of a physical presence and seeing the relatively low prices, it might make sense.

Back to Boston, I am sorry, Taylor Hall is a dog. A complete dog. Maybe going to Boston will reinvigorate him. But honestly, he has the same number of 30+ goal seasons in the NHL as Jason Zucker has (1) with more seasons. He has been a plus player once. He's a perimeter player, who had one MVP type of season. I don't think this changes the balance of power in the East Division at all.
Nah
But it’s worth the gamble since Boston is so top line dominant .
My hunch is the want to just isn’t there for hall

Another thing, there are alot of Jim Rutherford finger prints on this team. But the addition of Todd Reirdon started off slow, but man he seems to be paying major dividends because the PP is humming right now, moving the puck as well as I have seen it. And Kris Letang is playing absolutely outstanding. Norris Trophy level. And Brian Dumoulin has really come on and John Marino has returned to last year's form. But also big key is the resurrection of Cody Ceci's career.

Hoping Hall screws up the chemistry there. It's certainly possible.

Another thing, there are alot of Jim Rutherford finger prints on this team. But the addition of Todd Reirdon started off slow, but man he seems to be paying major dividends because the PP is humming right now, moving the puck as well as I have seen it. And Kris Letang is playing absolutely outstanding. Norris Trophy level. And Brian Dumoulin has really come on and John Marino has returned to last year's form. But also big key is the resurrection of Cody Ceci's career.

Yeah I wasn't impressed with bringing Reirdon back. Looks like I was wrong.

They aren’t stationary like last year
Cycling sid snd the wingers high- low makes all the difference
Need to make the penalty killers communicate who’s assigned to who

The penalty kill is something I'm still not down with. I love it conceptually with all the pressure, but there seems to always be a breakdown.

Ceci is a total + machine right now
He and Matheson have transformed the blue line
Which maybe managing letang’s minutes is helping him

Not having Tanev and Blueger working together on the PK for the last month certainly matters.

Yeah but I didn't like it back then either.

We have the 3rd best win percentage in the league since February 8th.

We beat the team with the 1st best win percentage 6 times in that span. I'ma quit complaining.

Got something just now from a fairly reliable guy, it's 3rd-hand though. Pens are still actively trying to make deals, look out for Sam Bennett out of Calgary.

Surprised we haven't had a single trade so far today, but I sorta called it on a slow deadline last week.

Yeah well with Carter in tow, neither Getzlaf or Bennett make as much sense. Oleksiak sure does. Seems like Getzlaf is likely to resign with Anaheim this offseason and just didn't want to get traded across the country.

Hopefully Carter can still play C, but I expect him to end up a wing here.

Bryan Trottier - 91, 92
Gary Roberts - 08
Bill Guerin - 09
Matt Cullen - 16, 17

Let's add Jeff Carter to the list.

The Pens didn't pay a high price. The salary isn't that high with the Kings retaining half, even if Carter returns next season. He can help PP2 (could be wrong, but checking lines it appears he played left point on the Kings PP2). And, at 5 on 5, there's real flexibility in terms of where you can play him. Add all that up and then look at the price, for example, that Toronto ponied up for Foligno, and it's kind of hard the not like it (maybe you don't love it, but you can like a deal without loving it, as I do this one).

Last edited:
When asked by the hapless Pittsburgh media if he had to sell Carter on coming to Pittsburgh:

“We didn’t have to sell him (Carter) to come here. We’re the Pittsburgh Penguins, we don’t have to kiss anyone’s butt to come here.”
-Burke

Burkie on SN:
-Praise for coaching staff and goaltending, overall team work-ethic
-Hextall first asked about Carter a month ago. Can play 1st line down to the 3rd line, still has good wheels.
-Not involved in Taylor Hall at all
-They believe the team is capable of making some noise. They had chances to move some guys out, and refused to do so.

Burke coy on if they're done.

Lots of rumors there after heavy 4th liner Deslaures from Anaheim, who seem to want too much though.

Sid-Jake-Rust
Geno-Zoho/Carter-Kap
McCann-Zuck-Erod
Teddy-Tanev-ZAR
Gaudreau-Zoho/Carter-Angello
Jank-Scevior-Lafferty

Not sure Carter starts for Sully with a healthy lineup unless he can beat out the Great Zohorna for L2-LW. 😂

Yeah it's going to be Carter or McCann on Gino's wing.

Last edited:
Six or seven years ago the thought of Carter and Gino together would have been a wet dream. I think there may be a fit still - Carter goes to the dirty areas - the 2nd line needs that. And, if Malkin's skating is fine, I think the trio with Kap could work in that regard. Plus, you have (even now) a much better faceoff guy than 71, maybe Carter ends up in a hybrid W/C role a la Talbot in 2009.

That said, I still think Sully's plan A is McCann on Malkin's LW, but one thing Carter's addition does, even in this scenario, is to give you something other than Zucker as Plan B.

There's been rumblings from people connected to the Pens that the staff has acknowledged Malkin & Zucker isn't a fit, and have been eyeing Zuck anchoring L3 ala Kesseldogs.

Last edited:
When asked by the hapless Pittsburgh media if he had to sell Carter on coming to Pittsburgh:

“We didn’t have to sell him (Carter) to come here. We’re the Pittsburgh Penguins, we don’t have to kiss anyone’s butt to come here.”
-Burke

Burkie on SN:
-Praise for coaching staff and goaltending, overall team work-ethic
-Hextall first asked about Carter a month ago. Can play 1st line down to the 3rd line, still has good wheels.
-Not involved in Taylor Hall at all
-They believe the team is capable of making some noise. They had chances to move some guys out, and refused to do so.

Burke coy on if they're done.

Lots of rumors there after heavy 4th liner Deslaures from Anaheim, who seem to want too much though.

Sid-Jake-Rust
Geno-Zoho/Carter-Kap
McCann-Zuck-Erod
Teddy-Tanev-ZAR
Gaudreau-Zoho/Carter-Angello
Jank-Scevior-Lafferty

Not sure Carter starts for Sully with a healthy lineup unless he can beat out the Great Zohorna for L2-LW. 😂

Yeah it's going to be Carter or McCann on Gino's wing.

LOL!

Six or seven years ago the thought of Carter and Gino together would have been a wet dream. I think there may be a fit still though as having Carter go to the dirty areas would help that line out for sure. And, if Malkin's skating is fine, I think the trio with Kap could work in that regard. Plus, you have (even now) a much better faceoff guy than 71, maybe Carter ends up in a hybrid W/C role a la Talbot in 2009.

That said, I still think Plan Sully's plan A is McCann on Malkin's LW, but one thing Carter's addition does, even in this scenario, is to give you something other than Zucker as Plan B.

There's been rumblings from people connected to the Pens the staff has acknowledged Malkin & Zucker isn't a fit, and have been eyeing Zuck anchoring his own line like they preferred with Kessel.
So........................everyone's healthy.

Sid/Guentzel/Rust
Geno/Kapanen/McCann
Carter/Zucker/Rodrigues
Blueger/Tanev/ZAR
Zahorna/Gaudreau/Lafferty/Seviour Reserves

That's a pretty friggin deep forward group.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT