ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens

So........................everyone's healthy.

Sid/Guentzel/Rust
Geno/Kapanen/McCann
Carter/Zucker/Rodrigues
Blueger/Tanev/ZAR
Zahorna/Gaudreau/Lafferty/Seviour Reserves

That's a pretty friggin deep forward group.

I like it for sure. Just can't quite get rid of the feeling that benching Zoho for the playoffs is a mistake...

And Angelo should be next after Zoho & Freddy Hockey. Angello is your classic old school 4th liner that's big & physical - can skate, forcheck, and defend.

And that L3 could really work from a chemistry perspective. Carter & Erod cancel out many of Zucker's drawbacks IMO, could allow him to really shine.

Last edited:
I like it for sure. Just can't quite get rid of the feeling that benching Zoho for the playoffs is a mistake...
Well yes. And no. Now they got depth so guys have to play well. Remember the last two playoffs, Dom Simon, Nick Bjugstad, Garrett Wilson, even ZAR and Horny, if a guy doesn't have it going, he shouldn't play. Plus, the bottom 6, even going back to the Cup teams, I don't think you have as many scoring options in with this group.

Still would like to see a physical presence like moving maybe Petterson for an Oleksiak because Jamie can play (did you see the goal he scored the other night?) and obviously he's big and can throw down if needed.

Well yes. And no. Now they got depth so guys have to play well. Remember the last two playoffs, Dom Simon, Nick Bjugstad, Garrett Wilson, even ZAR and Horny, if a guy doesn't have it going, he shouldn't play. Plus, the bottom 6, even going back to the Cup teams, I don't think you have as many scoring options in with this group.

Still would like to see a physical presence like moving maybe Petterson for an Oleksiak because Jamie can play (did you see the goal he scored the other night?) and obviously he's big and can throw down if needed.

Theoretically I'm right there with you. However I've not known Sully to use the bench much against vet Penguins that aren't pulling their weight. One of my pet peeves with the guy.

The Oleksiak move would be brilliant IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan1911
Burke's interview all was about Carter as a center...

Burkie is the best. Front office entertainment value grew 1000% when he joined up.

You gotta love it when someone tells it like it is.
I love his comment about players wanting to play for the Penguins. And he's right to have that attitude. If they want a player, they want him to help win a Cup. What player worth having doesn't want that?

Reactions: CougarClaws
Theoretically I'm right there with you. However I've not known Sully to use the bench much against vet Penguins that aren't pulling their weight. One of my pet peeves with the guy.

The Oleksiak move would be brilliant IMO.
Yeah, I thought about that, like for example, Marleau last year, Jack Johnson last year.

You gotta love it when someone tells it like it is.
I love his comment about players wanting to play for the Penguins. And he's right to have that attitude. If they want a player, they want him to help win a Cup. What player worth having doesn't want that?

I remember when he came aboard Brian Burke just couldn't stop talking about the Cadillac they put them behind the wheel of. Of course I cringed cuz Cadillacs are crap, but guys his age still think they're the bomb. And I love the enthusiasm and perspective.😆

- One thing on Kapanen to LW. Just because it didn't work in Toronto doesn't mean it wouldn't work with Malkin. I'd be loathe to try it playoffs game 1, but I think Kap works better with Malkin than he ever did with Matthews or Tavares, and that's a consideration vis-a-vis making a Pittsburgh related declaration on Kapanen on Malkin's LW.

I remember when he came aboard Brian Burke just couldn't stop talking about the Cadillac they put them behind the wheel of. Of course I cringed cuz Cadillacs are crap, but guys his age still think they're the bomb. And I love the enthusiasm and perspective.😆

- One thing on Kapanen to LW. Just because it didn't work in Toronto doesn't mean it wouldn't work with Malkin. I'd be loathe to try it playoffs game 1, but I think Kap works better with Malkin than he ever did with Matthews or Tavares, and that's a consideration vis-a-vis making a Pittsburgh related declaration on Kapanen on Malkin's LW.
Guentzel might just need a healthy off-season to get right. He's pretty young to give up on. JMO...
Love your work in this thread. Keep it coming!

Guentzel might just need a healthy off-season to get right. He's pretty young to give up on. JMO...
Love your work in this thread. Keep it coming!

Yeah I know I need to chill on Guentzel. I had figured 15 months was enough to fully recover... Thanx.

Yeah I know I need to chill on Guentzel. I had figured 15 months was enough to fully recover... Thanx.
Am I watching the same games as everyone else? Are people really unhappy with Jake? He’s a goal scorer. He does not need to be a two-way stalwart playing with Sid and Rust. He has 20 goals and is more than a point-per-game player. He’s one of the best 5-on-5 scorers in the NHL in his last two healthy seasons. He’d be close to 40 goals and 90 points in an 82-game season this year. He’s fine by me.

Am I watching the same games as everyone else? Are people really unhappy with Jake? He’s a goal scorer. He does not need to be a two-way stalwart playing with Sid and Rust. He has 20 goals and is more than a point-per-game player. He’d be close to 40 goals and 90 points in an 82-game season.

But he was. And just importantly he was incredibly puck dominant. Those kinds of things really matter in the playoffs. But yeah he's doing his job to score so I need to shut up. I get it.

And no you're not watching the same game. 10 years ago I could not conceive of following the game the way I do now. I'm all about the little things that build Team and win Cups. I'm all about Development & Chemistry.

Scoring is cool too. 😁

Reactions: USN_Panther
I don't get it. You talk and whine about me being negative on the pitt basketball board, a program that deserves and earns its angst and negativity and you are going off on Jake friggin Guentzel? Do you watch hockey? You understand his job is to score and create right? Here's the list of wingers with more points than Jake Guentzel this year:
1. Patrick Kane
2. Miko Rantanen

That's it, that's the list! And he isn't back? What did you expect from him, Mike Bossy? He's 11th in scoring. He's back. Sorry.

Am I watching the same games as everyone else? Are people really unhappy with Jake? He’s a goal scorer. He does not need to be a two-way stalwart playing with Sid and Rust. He has 20 goals and is more than a point-per-game player. He’s one of the best 5-on-5 scorers in the NHL in his last two healthy seasons. He’d be close to 40 goals and 90 points in an 82-game season this year. He’s fine by me.
No, Cougar has a stupid take and he's wrong.

I don't get it. You talk and whine about me being negative on the pitt basketball board, a program that deserves and earns its angst and negativity and you are going off on Jake friggin Guentzel? Do you watch hockey? You understand his job is to score and create right? Here's the list of wingers with more points than Jake Guentzel this year:
1. Patrick Kane
2. Miko Rantanen

That's it, that's the list! And he isn't back? What did you expect from him, Mike Bossy? He's 11th in scoring. He's back. Sorry.
Pretty hard to argue with you on this.

1. Patrick Kane
2. Miko Rantanen

Exactly. Taylor Hall won a Hart Trophy and has 2 goals in 40 games. There’s a guy to rip on.

Updates from Hextall.
GM Ron Hextall says:
* Kasperi Kapanen 10-14 days from return
* Evgeni Malkin 2-3 weeks from return
* Brandon Tanev unlikely to be back before playoffs
* C/RW Jeff Carter will be “here a year and change”
* That's it, no more trades to report for the Pens

Updates from Hextall.
GM Ron Hextall says:
* Kasperi Kapanen 10-14 days from return
* Evgeni Malkin 2-3 weeks from return
* Brandon Tanev unlikely to be back before playoffs
* C/RW Jeff Carter will be “here a year and change”
* That's it, no more trades to report for the Pens
Well that really sucks on Tanev.

I like the Carter pickup. Ok with sticking with what they have otherwise.... although unloading Zucker would have been a plus.

They are what they are at this point and there weren't any potential trades that were going to change them much, other than multiplayer blockbusters which weren't going to happen. Burke and Hextall are still learning what they have and weren't going to mortgage the future.

Their additions will be guys coming back from injury. Need to get Malkin and Kapanen back and ready for the playoffs. Tanev would be a bonus.

Reactions: Dan1911
Six or seven years ago the thought of Carter and Gino together would have been a wet dream. I think there may be a fit still - Carter goes to the dirty areas - the 2nd line needs that. And, if Malkin's skating is fine, I think the trio with Kap could work in that regard. Plus, you have (even now) a much better faceoff guy than 71, maybe Carter ends up in a hybrid W/C role a la Talbot in 2009.

That said, I still think Sully's plan A is McCann on Malkin's LW, but one thing Carter's addition does, even in this scenario, is to give you something other than Zucker as Plan B.

There's been rumblings from people connected to the Pens that the staff has acknowledged Malkin & Zucker isn't a fit, and have been eyeing Zuck anchoring L3 ala Kesseldogs.
Re: Carter and getting into the “dirty areas,” I’ve seen a few people on Twitter compare him on the RW to Hornqvist’ old role. Wouldn’t hurt to have another guy like that.

But he was. And just importantly he was incredibly puck dominant. Those kinds of things really matter in the playoffs. But yeah he's doing his job to score so I need to shut up. I get it.

And no you're not watching the same game. 10 years ago I could not conceive of following the game the way I do now. I'm all about the little things that build Team and win Cups. I'm all about Development & Chemistry.

Scoring is cool too. 😁
Guentzel also may be instructed to avoid situations where other teams can try to put him on the shelf by injuring him. I have no inside knowledge or knowledge at all about this, but playing only division teams, others would absolutely try to take him out.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Yeah, man. Man say if you wanna shoot nails, this here the Cadillac, man. Meant Lexus but he ain't know it.

Elliotte Friedman said today on his podcast that the Penguins were in on Travis Zajac before he ended up with the Islanders. Interesting.

It's moving time for the Pens!!!

Home tonight against the reeling Flyers.
Back to back road games against Buffalo this weekend.
Then three straight home games against the weakened Devils. The Devils are a pain in the ass, but without Zajac and Palmieri they are less dangerous.

So that is 6 winnable games. I am not expecting 12 points, but should get 10 which depending on the others schedules (I mean the Caps and Isles have to be playing each other) the Pens can make up some ground and distance themselves not just from out of the playoffs but the 4th place team.

Then three straight home games against the weakened Devils. The Devils are a pain in the ass, but without Zajac and Palmieri they are less dangerous.

So that is 6 winnable games. I am not expecting 12 points, but should get 10 which depending on the others schedules (I mean the Caps and Isles have to be playing each other) the Pens can make up some ground and distance themselves not just from out of the playoffs but the 4th place team.

How many make the playoffs from each division ?
I thought 4

How many make the playoffs from each division ?
I thought 4
4 yeah. My point, with the B's having back 2 back against the Isles the next two nights and Caps, at some point next week the Pens could have a 12 point gap over the Bruins who are in 4th place, with a little more than 10 games to go. That likely won't be able to be made up.

So when the season started it was about making the playoffs, now it is about getting home ice.

Home ice would be nice, but of all divisions in the NHL this the one where I think you would have to give all four teams an equal chance of advancing. There is so little separation between the teams no matter how the seeding shakes out. You are right though, the Pens schedule should give them a good track on at least a 2nd place finish.

Home ice would be nice, but of all divisions in the NHL this the one where I think you would have to give all four teams an equal chance of advancing. There is so little separation between the teams no matter how the seeding shakes out. You are right though, the Pens schedule should give them a good track on at least a 2nd place finish.
Yes, I do agree for the most part. But then look at the Pens home record. But yeah, 7 game series 4 and 3, all you have to do is steal one road game. But for line matchups.....it does matter somewhat. For example Bergeron and Marchand tortures the Sid line, but if you get home ice, then that is 4 games you can have them matched up against another line.

Yes, I do agree for the most part. But then look at the Pens home record. But yeah, 7 game series 4 and 3, all you have to do is steal one road game. But for line matchups.....it does matter somewhat. For example Bergeron and Marchand tortures the Sid line, but if you get home ice, then that is 4 games you can have them matched up against another line.
Good point. I think a big reason the Pens dominated the Islanders at home this year was because Sully was able to manage the matchups against the Cizikas/Martin/Clutterbuck line.

Reactions: HOF Coach

I had the same thought on Boston. Getting home ice is nice since they’ve been dominant at PPG. But it is vital to ensure they have home ice against the Bruins, since they own us up there. Largely for the reason you said, with matching their top line. Any position improvement beyond that is gravy.

Ditto!

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I had the same thought on Boston. Getting home ice is nice since they’ve been dominant at PPG. But it is vital to ensure they have home ice against the Bruins, since they own us up there. Largely for the reason you said, with matching their top line. Any position improvement beyond that is gravy.
But I also wonder how Boston would fare when everyone is healthy with the Pens. They no longer have Chara back there 28-30 minutes of ice any time 87 or 71 is on the ice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT