ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: pens

Dan1911

Sophomore
Jan 17, 2016
Rakell signed with a pretty friendly deal but with length. I tend to.like the deal. Any of you upset about the Malkin situation? I'm not terribly. Not one to invest in old players with diminishing skills, but I realize he's a burgh hero.

They don't neccesarily have to bring Malkin back, but they really do need to find a good #2 center that they can afford somehow, and Malkin is the obvious choice out of all the free agents. Trocheck doesn't score enough. Kadri is going to be too pricy, and he wasn't all that special before last season. I could talk myself into Giroux. There aren't exactly good options out there.

meh, not too excited either way. this rakell guy is 5 years past his prime. his last good season was 17/18, hasnt had more than 18 goals since and looks like he's only good for about 50-55 games a season now with injuries..

Feel like we could get more for 30m than a guy who will give us 28 points a season if we are lucky..

Reactions: NCanton Panther
The Pens will need some extreme good luck for Sid to win another Cup in a Pens sweater, and that's true whether Malkin is in a Pens jersey or not next season. Given this, I'd just as soon they re-sign Geno and enjoy these last couple years of those guys and hope against hope everything falls in line for them one more time.

If Rakell plays the whole season, I will almost guarantee 50 points, although I do think 5 million is a bit much .
If we get Trocheck Penguins are getting a way better 2 way player than Malkin is now.
Will have some money left to sign another as well, and maybe trade Dumoulin to create more cap space.

Should have went young instead of giving Letang 6m yearly til he is 42. Glad letting Malkin walk, but going half way is malpractice. Plus gave Letang 4 yr no trade clause til age 40. Deserve to watch playoffs at home this year.

Should have went young instead of giving Letang 6m yearly til he is 42. Glad letting Malkin walk, but going half way is malpractice. Plus gave Letang 4 yr no trade clause til age 40. Deserve to watch playoffs at home this year.
It’s because letang’s better than any other option at that salary by a large margin.
this isn’t very complicated

Reactions: ONGB
Dangle Kasperi Kapanen and Zucker for miller and see if JR bites. Add an overpriced defenseman. JR loves to overpay for his guys.

One trade proposal I saw was Marino, Poulin, and a first rounder. That was before the draft though.

I am pretty disappointed about the Malkin situation. Obviously there’s the sentimental aspect of it, but I don’t think they’re going to find a better 2C on the market or in free agency for the money he’s commanding. He might be asking for more than what Hextall and Burke would like, but I think they need to bite the bullet. Besides, they’ll be in full-blown rebuilding mode by the time the cap issues kick in.

I am pretty disappointed about the Malkin situation. Obviously there’s the sentimental aspect of it, but I don’t think they’re going to find a better 2C on the market or in free agency for the money he’s commanding. He might be asking for more than what Hextall and Burke would like, but I think they need to bite the bullet. Besides, they’ll be in full-blown rebuilding mode by the time the cap issues kick in.
Completely disagree. What cap issues? They have 10 million left and Zucker 5 million comes off next season. Malkin is old and broke down and only scores on the PP, and takes terrible penalties and is consistently hurt.

Reactions: Dan1911
meh, not too excited either way. this rakell guy is 5 years past his prime. his last good season was 17/18, hasnt had more than 18 goals since and looks like he's only good for about 50-55 games a season now with injuries..

Feel like we could get more for 30m than a guy who will give us 28 points a season if we are lucky..
Rakell played 70 games last season and scored 20 goals between the two teams. He plays a responsible 200 foot game. If Zucker can stay healthy, those two could be good 2nd line wingers.

Completely disagree. What cap issues? They have 10 million left and Zucker 5 million comes off next season. Malkin is old and done.
They don’t have any cap issues currently, but I’m just thinking down the line with the money they’ll have tied up. Plus, you need to consider that they’ll be giving Guentzel a new (and likely larger) contract in a few years.

As for Malkin, I get the concern but he’s still a point per game player. I think he’ll actually be better this season because he’ll get to train this offseason and not just recover. Now, whether he’ll be able to stay healthy for the whole season is another story.

Honestly the Penguins should have traded Malkin two seasons ago, but they were too loyal. They offered him 4 years and 6.1 million average yesterday and he declined.
Nothing more the Penguins can do.

Reactions: ShipofFools
Rakell played 70 games last season and scored 20 goals between the two teams. He plays a responsible 200 foot game. If Zucker can stay healthy, those two could be good 2nd line wingers.
I’m with you in those two
I think Trocheck between those two is nice 2nd line. All three are 20+ goals scorers that play two way hockey with some bump to their game.

I think Trocheck between those two is nice 2nd line. All three are 20 goals scorers that play two way hockey with some bump to their game.
I’ll wait and see who we grab
So long as they fit the system - it’ll be good
It sucks malkin is likely gone - from a sentimental aspect

Glad to see this....

The clock is ticking on possibly a Dumoulin or Pettersson trade if they can make a deal. Would like to see the Pens get a 3rd pairing veteran, physical, stay at home D man to pair with P.O. Ian Cole is out there.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Geno stays! 4 year $24.4 million contract extension.

Now, jettison Pettersson and Zucker and get Trocheck and sign Kapanen ....... lineup something like .......

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Rakell-Malkin-Trocheck
?-Carter-Kapanen
DOC-Blueger-McGinn
Zohorna

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Marino
POJ-Ruhwedel
Friedman

Jarry
DeSmith

One forward to fill in on L3 (has to be cheap)
Improve L3 and Defense at trade deadline if needed

Please don’t go Geno

FXbDCMcX0Ac3DQh

FXbDCMcX0Ac3DQh

I posted this in another thread......

I thought the team needed some change up. However the salary they got Letang and Geno, I mean there wasn't any better D or C option in free agency. And if they went into free agency, they would have paid more than what they did for Letang and Geno. So taking it on this level, it was the right move and pretty much the best moves they could make at this point.

I do think one of Dumo, Marino or Petterson will be moved. It is time to give POJ his shot, and that frees up some cap space and bring a tangible asset in return.

I still don't get the Carter signing and don't like the DeSmith resigning.

I posted this in another thread......

I thought the team needed some change up. However the salary they got Letang and Geno, I mean there wasn't any better D or C option in free agency. And if they went into free agency, they would have paid more than what they did for Letang and Geno. So taking it on this level, it was the right move and pretty much the best moves they could make at this point.

I do think one of Dumo, Marino or Petterson will be moved. It is time to give POJ his shot, and that frees up some cap space and bring a tangible asset in return.

Yeah - letang was a no brainer because his play has been so great and he eats up so many minutes .

malkin
Well if he plays at least 75% of the time - is hard to pass up at that price

Spot on with Carter.

I almost think you have to move Dumoulin. He's older and missed more games than Pettersson and Pettersson is probably playing at a higher level right now. Sometimes you can get teams to give up a little more for a brand name player, which I still think Dumoulin falls under.

A little scary how often I agree with you, or we see the same things. LOL I stick with my above comment, to win another Cup in the "Crosby Era," they'll need some great luck. No telling whether moving on from Malkin would've paid off, but you're not going to get a guy with similar production for that price in the open market. So, to improve, you have to hope you strike lightning and get a guy who then greatly outperforms his resume. Or you pay 50% more and still maybe don't get as much, while hurting yourself elsewhere. Absolutely the same with Letang.

To win again, they're going to have to get rid of some bad contracts, stay healthy, (especially going into the playoffs), Jarry will need to reach a higher level AND actually be available for the playoffs, if they're here, Zucker and Kapanen have to stay healthy (Zucker) and both will have to get close to their top potential. A pleasant surprise (or three) cropping up may also be necessary. It's quite unlikely they'll get enough "good" things" to happen to win another Cup, but that was likely just as true had Geno left. It's just where they are as a franchise right now.

Yeah all of this "they'll never win another cup with this group" is a bit misguided. It may be true, but....

The whole nation of Canada has not won a Cup since 1993. That will be a 20 year anniversary celebration next year if the Leafs or Oilers don't.
The Rangers have won ONE Cup since 1940!!!
The Flyers have not won a Cup since 1975.
The Canucks, Panthers, Sabres, Senators, Sharks, Jets and Arizona have never won the cup.
The Islanders haven't won since 1982.
The Leafs haven't won a Cup since 1967!!!!

My point here is that is not all that easy or common to win a cup, let alone 3 with this core, and 5 in 30 years like the Pens have done.

100% true. It's just reality. I guess my point was, did they have a better chance letting Geno walk and going into either free agency or the trade market? I'd say at $6.1 million AAV, "No." The odds of winning a Cup within the next three years was low yesterday and is still low today.

ADVERTISEMENT