ADVERTISEMENT

OT - PENS

Yeah they have been flying so far. I mean the first game was tough to measure, it was reminiscent of those Olympic games where the USSR in their prime would be playing Norway and just embarrassing them. But they did the same to Tampa.

Health is the key for this team. If the core is playing like this still in April, this team can go on a run.

The Powerplay has been almost like a video game it has been so effective.

On an unrelated note, but a goalie note, did anyone see Matt Murray give up 4 goals, all to the glove hand in the Leafs first game, then hurt his abdominals and is out 4-6 weeks already. Yeesh!
The Murray thing is sad for him, what a huge mental and physical disaster he became … but really more so for the Pens, obviously not part of the team any more but more as a ghost whose “what if” aura arises every time he craters somewhere else.

Yeah they have been flying so far. I mean the first game was tough to measure, it was reminiscent of those Olympic games where the USSR in their prime would be playing Norway and just embarrassing them. But they did the same to Tampa.

Health is the key for this team. If the core is playing like this still in April, this team can go on a run.

The Powerplay has been almost like a video game it has been so effective.

On an unrelated note, but a goalie note, did anyone see Matt Murray give up 4 goals, all to the glove hand in the Leafs first game, then hurt his abdominals and is out 4-6 weeks already. Yeesh!
Yeah, Murray's time with the Pens went down hill pretty quickly after the great Cup years with a multitude of injuries, a poor glove hand exposed, playing too deep in the net, and some problems with the mental aspects of the game ...... some of these issues seemed to follow him to Ottawa, and maybe they are starting to surface in Montreal, too early to tell yet ....

Murray's present injury appears to be an adductor muscle injury (basically a groin pull) which is quite problematic for a goalie and typically a 4+ week injury.

Tough loss for the Pens tonight ...... thought Casey DeSmith overall played very well.

Man, these last few 1st rd exits has taken alot of enthusiasm away. It is almost like, okay, yay we can make the playoffs again and get 100 points but then what?

I am excited, but that is buffering some of the excitement. The key to me is Malkin and Jarry. If Jarry continues to improve and Malkin can stay healthy and regain any form, then this is a really good team. Again, depending on injuries. And the last few years they have been decimated by injuries.
I don't know why people watch regular season hockey. You know the Pens are in the playoffs. Its 84 games with little to no meaning. Might as well wait till April to watch

Great goal. Man I hope this old team can stay healthy and fit over a long season. Hoping for one last ride.

btw, I hate these Pens crowds, the stupid goal song, the stupid Iceberg horn, Mears on play by play, and the annoying public address announcer. Not to be critical.
Mears is soooooooooo bad.

Reactions: Amigo3 and Fk_Pitt
I hate those. It looks like Chas Bonasarte has partnered with Walmart for $59.99 knockoffs of $200 Penguin jerseys for Christmas sales.

It also looks like someone stole the Bruins jersey and just put the mid 90's Penguin on it as a logo.

I am not a fan of that logo for so many reasons and it saddens me how many people are pumped to see it.

at least its not these hideous ones. That gray is soo bad.

s-l300.jpg

Reactions: Burgh15
Got an away Jagr one . They are ugly but not that bad ..
2 a.m. jersey ... We all have been there ..

You win back to back Cups in 91 and 92, then changed the logo to that and looked what happened, just sayin. You change it back and we win 3 more.

We got home and away Penguin jerseys in that style as wedding gifts. And a framed signed photo of Johnny Majors with his wedding well wishes.

I know it’s only 6 games into the season, but Kris Letang has been awful. You have to play really bad to be -2, when your team has such a positive goal differential.
Again, it’s only 6 games, but he’s older and just signed a long-term contract so a little worrisome.

That retro logo was a lot easier to doodle on a notepad during long boring work meetings. Very geometric.

Oh, the team? Who cares, it’s exhibition season until March. Then it’s just a question of which goon we’ll be hating for taking out Sid/Geno/Tanger (or all three) in the first round of the regular season…or what the NHL calls “the playoffs” . Funny how they never seem to goon it up on Kapanen…

Last edited:
Good to see a mere 7 games into the season, and the injury bug has already cost the Pens 33% of its top 6 forwards.

WOW ..... Pens looking bad ..... 0-5-1 in last six games ..... some thoughts ......

- Brian Dumoulin played poorly last season but had injuries, the Pens gambled on him being healthy and playing better this season ..... the first few games he did look better but has regressed greatly since then and is a problem on the Pens defense ..... his skating has not been great, he has turned the puck over a lot, has made some poor decisions in pinching, had some difficulty recovering when the opponent is in transition, and he has not defended well in front of the net during the losing streak ...... his advanced stats are terrible and he has been on the ice for a high number of goals against during the losing streak ...... he has to play better (let's hope he does) or be demoted in the lineup.

- Petry started out strong in both ends but has regressed recently and Letang so far has not played up to the level he did last season (when he played really well).

- Rutta and Pettersson have been pretty solid and POJ seems to be improving some.

- Too much difficulty getting the puck out of our end ....... along with poor decisions with pinching in the offensive zone and poor puck management leading to many giveaways/turnovers and odd man breaks against.

- Secondary scoring has dried up ...... all four lines and some defensemen were helping with scoring in the first 5 games when we were 4-0-1, but in the 6 game losing streak the Pens have scored just 14 goals ..... 12 have been by the top 6 forwards, 2 by Archibald, none by any other bottom 6 forwards and none by any defensemen ! ...... need to get more secondary scoring.

- Kapanen, Carter, McGinn have to step it up ..... they are playing below their pay grade.

- Heinen was hot early but has cooled off his scoring just as he did early last year.

- Penalty kill has been terrible ! ..... 71.05% ..... 28th in the league ...... needs to get better.

- Power play is 18th in the league at 21.43% ..... could be better.

- Goalies certainly have not been helped by the team defense especially during the losing streak but they haven't played very well on their own ...... both have played mediocre to slightly worse than an average NHL goalie .......

Jarry's stats ........ delta SV% = minus 0.30 (34th out of 64) ..... Goals Saved Above Expected = minus 0.93 (34th) ....... High Danger SV% = 0.745 (58th) ....... High Danger Goals Saved Above Expected = minus 0.066 (49th).

DeSmith's stats .... delta SV% = minus 0.28 (33rd) ....... Goals Saved Above Expected = minus 0.49 (33rd) ...... High Danger SV% = 0.700 (63rd) ...... High Danger Goals Saved Above Expected = minus 0.076 (52nd).

- There are aspects of the Pens game that can and need to be improved ....... I think Dumoulin has to play better or be demoted in the lineup ...... need to get back to more secondary scoring ...... PK needs to be improved and no reason it can't be ...... Goalies need to step up (goalie coach needs to help) ...... better decisions on pinching and forwards covering to decrease odd man breaks which are killing us ...... better puck management, play a simple game with more structure ..... forecheck needs to get better.

Last edited:
Reactions: USN_Panther
Pens made some changes in their defensive lines and bottom six forward lines in practice yesterday (Tuesday) .....

Letang/Pettersson
Petry/POJ
Rutta/Dumoulin

Basically, Dumoulin was demoted from the first to third defense pairing and the other two LD went up a line ..... depending on how things go over time, we may see Ty Smith called up at some point from WBS.

Forward lines in practice ......

Guentzel/Crosby/Rust
Zucker/Malkin/Rakell
McGinn/Carter/Heinen
Hallander/Poehling/Archibald

Fifth line .... Poulin/Blueger/Kapanen ....... ?? looks like Kapanen may be a healthy scratch tonight, we'll see the lineup tonight against the Caps.

Oldest team in the league and no salary cap room to bring up anyone to try and replace the dead wood like kapanen and carter. but hey, we got the three amigos!

Pens made some changes in their defensive lines and bottom six forward lines in practice yesterday (Tuesday) .....

Letang/Pettersson
Petry/POJ
Rutta/Dumoulin

Basically, Dumoulin was demoted from the first to third defense pairing and the other two LD went up a line ..... depending on how things go over time, we may see Ty Smith called up at some point from WBS.

Forward lines in practice ......

Guentzel/Crosby/Rust
Zucker/Malkin/Rakell
McGinn/Carter/Heinen
Hallander/Poehling/Archibald

Fifth line .... Poulin/Blueger/Kapanen ....... ?? looks like Kapanen may be a healthy scratch tonight, we'll see the lineup tonight against the Caps.
Really kind of an important game. I still don't understand why they don't go back to Rackell on Sid's line and Rust on Geno's line. They were only scoring 6 goals a game when that was the lines.

Oldest team in the league and no salary cap room to bring up anyone to try and replace the dead wood like kapanen and carter. but hey, we got the three amigos!
They added them last year -
Rakell is a big add, McGinn and Heinen are quality depth
Zucker if he stays healthy too is a top line talent

The Pens have a solid top 6. They have to tweak the defense and they’ll be ok.

It’s November 9th. St. Louis won the cup after being dead last in January. There’s no way to tell the outcome right now.

Reactions: goalieman
The Pens have a solid top 6. They have to tweak the defense and they’ll be ok.
Agree, Pens top 6 has been solid and I think Rust and Rakell have both shown they can play well with either Sid or Geno although I kind of agree with "recruits" and would also like to see more of Rakell on Crosby's line for a while (they were winning with that combination so maybe try it again) ...... however much bigger problems for the team are lack of secondary scoring by the bottom 6 and defensemen ....... poor defense with too many odd man breaks against and poor defensive zone coverage ...... lack of holding a lead ...... poor penalty killing ....... and below average goaltending.

Also agree that is way too early to rule them out of the playoffs but every game counts and they better turn it around pretty soon.

Casey DeSmith in goal tonight against the Caps ..... Caps have several top players out ..... as "recruits" said, kind of an important game.

It’s November 9th. St. Louis won the cup after being dead last in January. There’s no way to tell the outcome right now.
cool story, what did that happen once ?
The Penguins were done when they resigned the whole team from last season.
Go pens

I’m not going to try to spin that all of the signings were great. Kappanen and McGinn are absolutely awful. However, in 2009 the Pens were tenth in February. We saw how that played out. It’s not very difficult to make the playoffs in the NHL. It’s cracking the first round that’s the issue for this team.

Reactions: BreakingPitt
ADVERTISEMENT