ADVERTISEMENT

OT - PENS

We heard your loud wrong take the first 10 times , slappy
how was it loud ? and I said it Once. Slappy ? I haven't heard that since like 1988.
Oh and your right, the Penguins are the greatest ever, every year !!!
Dude, its an opinion, like yours.

Pens lose 3 of their defensemen to injury against Caps tonight. Petry, Ruuta, Joseph, all hurt. Never seen this happen before. Pens holding on to a 3-0 lead in the third.

Reactions: goalieman
Pens playing with 3 defensemen ........ POJ and Rutta hurt in second period and Petry hurt early in the third period ..... Pens up 3-0 ..... Petry back so up to 4 defensemen again.

Carter played defense for a shift and now Petry back but still only 4 defensemen.

PS - Pens win 4-1 !

Last edited:
Pens playing with 3 defensemen ........ POJ and Rutta hurt in second period and Petry hurt early in the third period ..... Pens up 3-0 ..... Petry back so up to 4 defensemen again.

Carter played defense for a shift and now Petry back but still only 4 defensemen.

PS - Pens win 4-1 !
Nice to see a win. They gotta stack some more wins now. The NHL has to do something about their loser point system. I read something the other day that 77% of teams who are in playoff position at Thanksgiving make the playoffs. That’s a crazy stat. So if the Pens don’t turn this thing around, their season will be over before Christmas.

Nice to see a win. They gotta stack some more wins now. The NHL has to do something about their loser point system. I read something the other day that 77% of teams who are in playoff position at Thanksgiving make the playoffs. That’s a crazy stat. So if the Pens don’t turn this thing around, their season will be over before Christmas.
I don't like games like last night are worth 2 points, and OT games are worth 3. I am fine and have been vocal about the following:
1) Regulation Win 3 points
2) OT/SO Win 2 points
3) OT/SO Loss 1 point
4) Regulation Loss 0 point.

PS - Pens win 4-1 !
It was a good win. My god, I didn't realize how many guys the Caps had out. That is almost worse than anything the Pens have faced during the past few, injury riddled seasons.

Still don't like this team. The bottom 6 just has no purpose. Hell, if you aren't going to score goals, then get a couple of 6'3" 225lb forwards who for 10-11 minutes a game just banging the hell out of the other team.

What a fantastic road trip. Especially after the disaster out west. Getting 6 out of 6 points, this trip folks might have just saved the season. The Pens are right there for a playoff spot at Thanksgiving.

Sid...I mean he is Sidney freaking Crosby. 10 points in 3 games. He now has 27 points in 19 games, 5th in scoring, on pace for 114 points and 42 goals. At 35 years old. Geno also this is the best he has looked in years.

I think Teddy Bleuger has brought much to the bottom 6 as far as speed and tenacity.

I think they need to make a move on the blue line. I really strongly advocated a Kris Letang resigning, but his numbers, whether conventional or analytical are just horribly bad. I do believe he will work through this and can't be this bad all year.........but..........it is scary.

What a fantastic road trip. Especially after the disaster out west. Getting 6 out of 6 points, this trip folks might have just saved the season. The Pens are right there for a playoff spot at Thanksgiving.

Sid...I mean he is Sidney freaking Crosby. 10 points in 3 games. He now has 27 points in 19 games, 5th in scoring, on pace for 114 points and 42 goals. At 35 years old. Geno also this is the best he has looked in years.

I think Teddy Bleuger has brought much to the bottom 6 as far as speed and tenacity.

I think they need to make a move on the blue line. I really strongly advocated a Kris Letang resigning, but his numbers, whether conventional or analytical are just horribly bad. I do believe he will work through this and can't be this bad all year.........but..........it is scary.
They won’t let him go this season
I think he’s rather retire to be honest

- In addition, Blueger has also been TREMENDOUS on the penalty kill which has helped that unit greatly !

- In that game against Winnipeg, I thought the Pens played maybe their best game of the year ....... we trapped more, slowed them down, and when they dumped the puck in our zone, the puck retrieval, management, and support was really good so that we got pucks out of the zone very fast ...... a lot of quick, simple plays worked well and we didn't give away many odd man breaks ....... we also got great goaltending from Jarry in that game which we are going to need consistently the remainder of the season.

- Next up is Calgary 11/23/22 ...... hopefully we can extend the winning streak and rack up more points !

Reactions: USN_Panther
With Malkin’s 1000th Game about to be celebrated and put in the distance…do they now have the green light to move him later in the season?

- In addition, Blueger has also been TREMENDOUS on the penalty kill which has helped that unit greatly !

- In that game against Winnipeg, I thought the Pens played maybe their best game of the year ....... we trapped more, slowed them down, and when they dumped the puck in our zone, the puck retrieval, management, and support was really good so that we got pucks out of the zone very fast ...... a lot of quick, simple plays worked well and we didn't give away many odd man breaks ....... we also got great goaltending from Jarry in that game which we are going to need consistently the remainder of the season.

- Next up is Calgary 11/23/22 ...... hopefully we can extend the winning streak and rack up more points !
They have only played 6 of their 19 games at home so far.

He's playing great. Why would you do that now?
Because that will end. Probably very soon as well.

So his momentarily playing great right now, knowing that Bad Geno will inevitably be back to reclaim the throne, is actually the BEST time.

But like with firing coaches then requires a good hire to make it worthwhile, a trade would also require getting something useful in return.

Because that will end. Probably very soon as well.

So his momentarily playing great right now, knowing that Bad Geno will inevitably be back to reclaim the throne, is actually the BEST time.

But like with firing coaches then requires a good hire to make it worthwhile, a trade would also require getting something useful in return.
Again, why would you trade him right now? He has been very good. You aren't making sense. I can see if you were asking about Letang. Or other defenders. Or even Bryan Rust.

Reactions: Jakey_John
They have only played 6 of their 19 games at home so far.
Good stuff. I didn’t realize that. This is why stats don’t always tell the whole story. Case in point…I’ve been keeping an eye on the standings because teams out of the playoffs on thanksgiving don’t make it 70% of the time. Right now we are 2 points behind the Rangers for that last spot with a game in hand. We could be tied with them or even be 4pts behind them on Thursday. But the Pens can easily buck that trend and make the playoffs given they’ve played so many road games.

He is on his last gasp. He will definitely get injured, likely multiple times. And he’s ridiculously easily neutralized (and often triggered) in the playoffs now.
Honestly, this is the best I have seen him play in years. Sure, only a 1/4 of the season in.....but he looks faster and focus than he has in years.

Honestly, this is the best I have seen him play in years. Sure, only a 1/4 of the season in.....but he looks faster and focus than he has in years.
If I were confident that would last through the season and the playoffs, I would agree it would be crazy to trade him. But the last several years have shown different.

With Malkin’s 1000th Game about to be celebrated and put in the distance…do they now have the green light to move him later in the season?
They obviously don't want to trade him when he is playing so well ....... rightly or wrongly, they still think they can make a run .......

Plus, they only have the green light to trade him if Malkin gives them the green light (he is the boss on any trade involving him) = NMC.

Last edited:
Again, the killer here is the Kapanen and Carter signings. They take up about $6.5 million of cap room and are giving you literally nothing.........or worse. They could have bought a really good 3rd line Center or even let Letang walk and get a top defense pairing.

While the Malkin contract was a literal bargain, those two are albatrosses.

Some blogs suggesting just release kap. Someone will pick him up for no additional cost like a trade would incur and if he clears, they can assign him to WBS. I doñt know all the nuances, so I trust that's possible.

Otoh, signing him was so stupid. Everyone scratched their head. What a stupid signing.

Toronto is desperate for centers according to the hockey blogosphere. Would.be great to send Carter for minimal return just to dump.his salary. Ditto for Dumo and Kap.

Zucker is finally healthy and productive and in his last year. He'll be on a gurney before too long, I'd trade him while there's value. He'll be on a ventilator playoff time, probably.

Last edited:
Ok, I don’t watch other teams, and I rarely see western conference teams because they only come to town once in a blue moon. So when I see these Calgary Flames uniforms, the 1st thing I think of is Joey Mullen, then Theo Fleury. How about you guys?

Ok, I don’t watch other teams, and I rarely see western conference teams because they only come to town once in a blue moon. So when I see these Calgary Flames uniforms, the 1st thing I think of is Joey Mullen, then Theo Fleury. How about you guys?
First off, great uniforms. I think of Joel Otto, Al Macinnis, scary Gary Roberts and Lanny McDonald.

Has anyone ever thought of Lanny McDonald and not thought about the mustache? That thing has got to be in the Mustache Hall of Fame, assuming that there is one.

And why wouldn't there be?
He was just perfect for calgary too. If you’re casting for a western movie set in that part of the world, Lanny McDonald is the exact guy you cast to be the guy who leads a train heist or shoots the sheriff in a dual.

On the night in Pittsburgh celebrating Geno for playing 1000 games with the Pens, he scores the winning goal in the shootout !!! ...... great ending !!!! ..... 4 wins in a row for the Pens !!!!! ..... Flyers next up on Friday.

On the night in Pittsburgh celebrating Geno for playing 1000 games with the Pens, he scores the winning goal in the shootout !!! ...... great ending !!!! ..... 4 wins in a row for the Pens !!!!! ..... Flyers next up on Friday.
You know for a local sports fan like me, this year has sucked. So having that happen, it was a really nice result that had me smiling.

If I were confident that would last through the season and the playoffs, I would agree it would be crazy to trade him. But the last several years have shown different.
Maybe they should trade Sid while we are at it?

Give it a break. If Malkin was to leave it would have been after the season where he had a choice of where he was going. The contract he signed was to assure he stay here.

Tell us, what do you think the return would be for Malkin? As you said yourself why would another team trade for an often injured, over paid 36 year old player?

BTW, trading him would make Sid real happy, don't you think?

Maybe they should trade Sid while we are at it?

Give it a break. If Malkin was to leave it would have been after the season where he had a choice of where he was going. The contract he signed was to assure he stay here.

Tell us, what do you think the return would be for Malkin? As you said yourself why would another team trade for an often injured, over paid 36 year old player?

BTW, trading him would make Sid real happy, don't you think?
Shrug… you give it a break. My opinion is perfectly legitimate. He was once a great player, for sure. But he’s largely stunk for years now, especially playoff time. If he magically keeps playing well, stays healthy and leads them deep into the playoffs this season, I’ll happily admit being wrong (unlike so many here who never do that). Based on the last several seasons the odds are I’ll be proven right though. Not that I’ll be happy to be; I just think it’s highly unlikely to be different.

He’s playing surprisingly ok now, so it might be a good opp to get something decent for him in a trade. Others noted he has a no trade clause, but possibly he’d be agreeable. Again, perfectly legitimate idea.

Lighten up.

Shrug… you give it a break. My opinion is perfectly legitimate. He was once a great player, for sure. But he’s largely stunk for years now, especially playoff time. If he magically keeps playing well, stays healthy and leads them deep into the playoffs this season, I’ll happily admit being wrong (unlike so many here who never do that). Based on the last several seasons the odds are I’ll be proven right though. Not that I’ll be happy to be; I just think it’s highly unlikely to be different.

He’s playing surprisingly ok now, so it might be a good opp to get something decent for him in a trade. Others noted he has a no trade clause, but possibly he’d be agreeable. Again, perfectly legitimate idea.

Lighten up.
You are entitled to your opinion, but to sit there and say he stinks when he is averaging a point a game is laughable.

I am going to ask you again, what do you think the Pens would get in return in a trade?

Please don't say he stinks and is injury prone and then expect a significant return. I am pretty sure he took the pay cut to return and play with Crosby and Letang for 1 more run.

BTW he isn't the only player on the team that hasn't produced in the playoffs.

You are entitled to your opinion, but to sit there and say he stinks when he is averaging a point a game is laughable.

I am going to ask you again, what do you think the Pens would get in return in a trade?

Please don't say he stinks and is injury prone and then expect a significant return. I am pretty sure he took the pay cut to return and play with Crosby and Letang for 1 more run.

BTW he isn't the only player on the team that hasn't produced in the playoffs.
They needed to jettison Gino and Tanger and Jarry and assemble a new team while Sid has a few years left. This season is basically going to be a repeat of the last five years. I understand, kind of, why they clung to the old guard a few years too long, the 70s Steelers did the same, it’s awkward PR wise to move on once it’s clear some if the stars are finished… but what’s the point of the same old same old?

The Patriots model was much better. You have one of the greats ever who is the heart of the team and still at a high level (Sid = Brady), don’t be sentimental, dump the supporting cast no matter how good (Moss, etc) the moment they falter andbecome dead weight … keep reassembling great teams for Sid (aka Brady) to keep on with the best chances of winning. Not a repeat of the sad, painful dying out as happened with the 70s Steelers into the 80s and others that didn’t know better.

Again if I’m wrong and they have some fantastic metamorphic recovery with the Geezer Gang and another heroic Cup run, super…it just is incredibly unlikely.

Due to the addition of Rakell and a healthy Zucker the Pens have their best top six since 2017. If they somehow rid themselves of some of the defense and Kapanen they will be fine.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
ADVERTISEMENT