ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pens

pile on..... i mean , thats the way of life.
I still feel strong in believing 66 runs the show, you guys think FSG does.
big whip.
we disagree.
It's not disagreeing. Okay? I know. You don't. Sorry. Just drop it. It was you think, but it was I know. Don't doubt my Penguins sources, those who know me over the years understand that I am legit in this.

It's not disagreeing. Okay? I know. You don't. Sorry. Just drop it. It was you think, but it was I know. Don't doubt my Penguins sources, those who know me over the years understand that I am legit in this.

I don't know, recruits. The kinds of people who own companies that are able to buy out a business for something like $900M are well known for getting the company and then immediately stepping back and letting other people run the show. After all, what's $900M to these people?

Pfft. Nothing at all.

I don't know, recruits. The kinds of people who own companies that are able to buy out a business for something like $900M are well known for getting the company and then immediately stepping back and letting other people run the show. After all, what's $900M to these people?

Pfft. Nothing at all.
I mean I am surprised that Hextall and Burke are still here. But that doesn't mean Mario is calling the shots. The fact is, they resigned all of those guys to contracts that......guess what, they weren't going to get anyone better for that money.

I mean I am surprised that Hextall and Burke are still here. But that doesn't mean Mario is calling the shots. The fact is, they resigned all of those guys to contracts that......guess what, they weren't going to get anyone better for that money.
That’s the think
And since Malkin has returned to form -
And hopefully letang will eventually -
They are great cap friendly deals
It’s not so much about loyalty as about value for the Pens

Long season. But the East is stacked. I don't want to go against Buffalo and Jersey in a couple of years. But right now? "Old Man Strength" and goaltending gives the Pens the edge over those teams.

Sid is just another whole entity of being. 35 year olds aren't supposed to do this. But right now \....he has to be amongst the top 3 MVP candidates

Reactions: USN_Panther
Long season. But the East is stacked. I don't want to go against Buffalo and Jersey in a couple of years. But right now? "Old Man Strength" and goaltending gives the Pens the edge over those teams.

Sid is just another whole entity of being. 35 year olds aren't supposed to do this. But right now \....he has to be amongst the top 3 MVP candidates
Sid has mustache power

They're on fire. Playing really well.

They're on fire. Playing really well.
Pens are playing great but the next 4 weeks may be very telling ...... we play 10 games (5 home and 5 away) against many of the best teams in the league (all 10 games are against teams with winning records) .... Dallas, Florida, Carolina twice, NYR, NYI, Detroit, NJD, Boston, and VGK ....... that is a very tough stretch !

Pens are playing great but the next 4 weeks may be very telling ...... we play 10 games (5 home and 5 away) against many of the best teams in the league (all 10 games are against teams with winning records) .... Dallas, Florida, Carolina twice, NYR, NYI, Detroit, NJD, Boston, and VGK ....... that is a very tough stretch !
That's going to be telling. The East is so stacked compared to the West.

Pens played their first of 10 games to be played over the next 4 weeks against a very tough schedule and defeated Dallas 2-1 ..... really tight checking, playoff type game with both teams defending very hard and playing very disciplined ...... Pens looked patient, didn't force things ..... there wasn't much open ice .... I think both teams had only 5 high danger shots each for the game ....... good game that went down to the wire .......

Geno and his line were really good ..... Geno drew 2 penalties on Dallas and POJ scored on one of the PP's, Geno scored the winning goal with 34.7 seconds to play in the 3rd period when he netted a goal after the Dallas goalie poke checked a Rust attempt and the puck went right to Geno who scored ..... Geno also played very well defensively as he mostly has done so far this season ....... Zucker had a great screen on the Dallas goalie on POJ's goal and was physical in battles ...... Jarry was excellent again ........ Petry was out tonight but the defense was very good ...... POJ getting better and better, Pettersson and Letang both played well again, Ruhwedel solid, Dumoulin held his own, and Rutta played very well and gave us a physical presence against a big Dallas team ..... the Pens held Robertson, the Dallas phenom this season, to ZERO shots on goal ! ..... Sid's line had a bit of an off night but battled.

Next game Thursday night at Florida ...... let's hope we can keep up the win streak which is at 6 games right now.

Last edited:
Was there last night, There were a ton of potential scoring opportunities that just never materialized because of active sticks and blocked shots. We would go uh oh a lot last night and the opportunity never developed because they were both playing solid defense.

Reactions: goalieman
Dallas is really good, a well constructed team. Hell, they got Robertson, Heskinen and Hintz in the same draft. Yikes.

Last night (and recent play) shows why the Pens didn't break it up this offseason. If they are healthy and get solid goaltending , they are a hard out. Let's face it, with competent (not even excellent) but competent goaltending they would have won their 1st rd playoff series against the Islanders in 2021 and Rangers last year.

I think that is what primarily went into the decision making this offseason.

I also think two key developments have really bolstered this team.
1) The development of POJ. They needed a talented, cheap, young Dman to emerge. He has. Just something to think for Sully, sometimes give the kids a chance.
2) A seriously good 4th line and bottom 6 scoring. Bleuger, Archibald and Poehling is reminding many of the Clutterbuck 4th line from the Isles. Plus they can kick in the occasional goal. And the 3rd line is consistently scoring.

What says alot, is the Pens are doing really well and aren't just doing this with Power Play goals.

Reactions: goalieman
Was there last night, There were a ton of potential scoring opportunities that just never materialized because of active sticks and blocked shots. We would go uh oh a lot last night and the opportunity never developed because they were both playing solid defense.
Good point about there being a lot of blocked shots and active sticks last night against Dallas ....... the game also showed that in hockey a tight checking, low scoring, defensive battle can be very exciting as at any point even in a game like last night a high danger scoring situation can happen in an instance and the game can change immediately so you are always on the edge of your seat watching what might develop like the last goal by Malkin to win the game ........ on that play, all 3 forwards (Malkin, Rust, and Zucker) passed the puck, all 3 received a pass, and we got a bit of luck when the goalie made a great poke check on Rust coming across the low slot and the puck came directly to Geno's stick and was in the back of the net in a fraction of a second !

Dallas is really good, a well constructed team. Hell, they got Robertson, Heskinen and Hintz in the same draft. Yikes.

Last night (and recent play) shows why the Pens didn't break it up this offseason. If they are healthy and get solid goaltending , they are a hard out. Let's face it, with competent (not even excellent) but competent goaltending they would have won their 1st rd playoff series against the Islanders in 2021 and Rangers last year.

I think that is what primarily went into the decision making this offseason.

I also think two key developments have really bolstered this team.
1) The development of POJ. They needed a talented, cheap, young Dman to emerge. He has. Just something to think for Sully, sometimes give the kids a chance.
2) A seriously good 4th line and bottom 6 scoring. Bleuger, Archibald and Poehling is reminding many of the Clutterbuck 4th line from the Isles. Plus they can kick in the occasional goal. And the 3rd line is consistently scoring.

What says alot, is the Pens are doing really well and aren't just doing this with Power Play goals.
We both have previously mentioned the development of POJ and again, I think from day 1 of this season until now, POJ is the most improved Pens player on the team ....... Archibald has been much better so far than I expected, Poehling has really found a nice role on the 4th line, and Blueger keeps improving year by year, he is the key player on the 4th line, has improved on face offs over time and is great on the PK.

Pens have been pretty lucky so far in not having many injuries this season ...... that may be coming to an end as both Petry and Zucker sustained injuries the other night against Dallas ..... Petry has what looks like a left arm injury which must be significant as he was put on LTIR meaning he has to sit out 10 games and 24 days and Zucker has a lower body injury and is considered week to week ...... Mark Friedman and Drew O'connor were called up from WBS ..... bad timing as Pens just started a 10 game streak over 4 weeks against really good teams.

Zucker out week to week now. I wanted him traded when he was playing well and had some value. I knew this was going to happen. He's always hurt.

I just ask that they NOT re-sign him at the end of the year. A waste of.cap.space since he got here.

Zucker out week to week now. I wanted him traded when he was playing well and had some value. I knew this was going to happen. He's always hurt.

I just ask that they NOT re-sign him at the end of the year. A waste of.cap.space since he got here.
I mean taking a slap shot to the skate isn’t exactly his fault

I mean taking a slap shot to the skate isn’t exactly his fault
Fair point, but he's constantly injured. People use the term "snake bit" to describe his tenure with the pens. I agree. He needed to go when healthy. We all knew this would happen again. And again.

I would love to see Kapanen move up into a prominent role, start scoring with consistency, then look to move him later on for some real return.

Reactions: Dan1911
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT