ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PG to only print 3 days a week...

If they would limit some of the assclowns pretending to be sports journalists it would be a tremendous increase in the quality of their product

the patriot news in harrisburg did this a couple of years ago, but all you can read about is the PSU garbage. better to line my garage can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They could maybe specify which 3 days? Friday, Saturday, Sunday? Really not a loss, though I do think they do a better job of non sports stuff than the trib.

The three days they do print are going to have to be really good to be worth it. Probably means even less space for anything about Pitt.

Some weekdays haven't been profitable for newspapers for a long time. At some papers, as much of two-thirds of revenue comes from Sundays.

Some weekdays haven't been profitable for newspapers for a long time. At some papers, as much of two-thirds of revenue comes from Sundays.

I would imagine that all businesses face the same dilemma. Just depends on the cycle and the customer expectation. Most people will tolerate the pizza joint closing on a Monday because it's slow. But your local convenience store knows it can't even close at night because that's part of the expectation for the brand.

Look, the PG always did a terrible job at covering anything that happened in the surrounding counties. People moved to the burbs and news became "free" and instant. Not only that but content changed as people shopped for what they wanted to hear. When the PG swallowed up the Press, they figured they had the market cornered and never considered that a newspaper from Greensburg would fill the void. I also think they're badly mismanaged but that will kill any business.

I would imagine that all businesses face the same dilemma. Just depends on the cycle and the customer expectation. Most people will tolerate the pizza joint closing on a Monday because it's slow. But your local convenience store knows it can't even close at night because that's part of the expectation for the brand.

Look, the PG always did a terrible job at covering anything that happened in the surrounding counties. People moved to the burbs and news became "free" and instant. Not only that but content changed as people shopped for what they wanted to hear. When the PG swallowed up the Press, they figured they had the market cornered and never considered that a newspaper from Greensburg would fill the void. I also think they're badly mismanaged but that will kill any business.
The PG is so mismanaged that they lost any online ad revenue from me when the enacted the requirement to purchase a subscription to view online content.

I haven't clicked on a PG link since.

They could maybe specify which 3 days? Friday, Saturday, Sunday?

My guess would have been Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, but I saw something yesterday that said Thursday, Friday and Sunday. They already don't publish on Saturdays, because that was their least bought newspaper probably by a wide margin.

In-depth reporting will be a thing of the past. Citizens will be less informed and knowledgeable than they are now, if that is possible.

The PG has a far leftist lean. The staff lives in a tiny little bubble within the City of PGH where about 100K agree with their take on things but unfortunately for the PG, this demo doesn't read papers. The entire rest of the region finds nothing of use in their paper and most find it laughably bad.

Parakeets and canaries NOT PLEASED!
a-10-year-old-girl-smiles-at-her-pet-parakeet-as-she-changes-the-absorbent-D5DWJA.jpg

Reactions: HOF Coach
The PG has a far leftist lean. The staff lives in a tiny little bubble within the City of PGH where about 100K agree with their take on things but unfortunately for the PG, this demo doesn't read papers. The entire rest of the region finds nothing of use in their paper and most find it laughably bad.

What makes them far left?

In-depth reporting will be a thing of the past. Citizens will be less informed and knowledgeable than they are now, if that is possible.

Yup. Regardless of your specific take on the PG, which I think is largely driven by an inferiority complex that sportswriters aren't more glowing about Pitt, the decline of print media and good journalism is an overall negative for citizens.

Crap paper and crap content for a couple of decades now. Maybe just make crap paper instead. Sports writing has little to do with it but the writers for that junk paper in every department did little to add to its quality of which there was little to begin with.

Leftist writers. When the publisher changed, the writers group took out a freaking billboard expressing their leftist views, and staged a gathering in front of it with a photo they then paid to have placed in a full page of the paper, as a "protest". That effectively destroyed any semblance of political objectivity, whether you agree with their thinking or not.

Tony Norman in particular is probably the most racist "journalist" there, possibly anywhere. He has an almost psychotic hatred of caucasians (caucasian men, anyway). He once wrote a column calling not only for reparations, but that a portion of the US around Louisiana should be carved out of the nation, and given to African Americans to rule. And he furtherfantasized that slavery of whites should be the practice in said nation. And he was entirely serious. The rest of his output is similar. The dude is unhinged.

Agree with it or not (from what I've read here, several of you surely do... that's pretty far left.

I have to acknowledge his rants were entertaining, and he's certainly honest.

He of course doesn't see the irony that in this era, his extremism is protected due to PC, whereas a righty writing such a column for a mainstream newspaper espousing the return to slavery would be immediately fired.

You must be living in a cave. The Post Gazette has been “lefty” since the earth cooled. They have been trying to level the field recently, per the political cartoons. Even the far left comrades in the PG realize that they need other people’s money to survive and, as has been noted above, their historic demographic has been dwindling rapidly, thus a slight tilt to the right.

Reactions: vietvet1
You must be living in a cave. The Post Gazette has been “lefty” since the earth cooled. They have been trying to level the field recently, per the political cartoons. Even the far left comrades in the PG realize that they need other people’s money to survive and, as has been noted above, their historic demographic has been dwindling rapidly, thus a slight tilt to the right.

Humans are going to have bias and there will always be a peer pressure and tendency to hire like yourself etc. Thus the media being so liberal in general (you can be assured even most Fox news broadcasters are almost certainly liberal at heart, especially the young hotties... they're just following scripts). But when you allow (or actively push) your bias to cross over into the news, you destroy objectivity and trust.

That's what makes things tough for the news consumer today who just wants facts. You can't just open a newspaper (or its web site) or click on a network news and learn what you need, in a single sitting. You need to really dive into multiple sources for basically every story, interpret the language being used, know the background of the "sources" (and somehow realize who they're purposely NOT interviewing). Constantly read between the lines. It's always wise to do that of course but it's freaking time consuming.

Yup. Regardless of your specific take on the PG, which I think is largely driven by an inferiority complex that sportswriters aren't more glowing about Pitt, the decline of print media and good journalism is an overall negative for citizens.
Bingo. It is scary how they are failing and we are falling more and more into the blogosphere to give people their "news". It only furthers the divide in this country. The way cookies and our browsing history is now cataloged, all people get hit with is things they tend to lean towards, there is no "and this is the other side" exposure with the internet unless you look. It just bombards you with stuff it thinks you want to read based on history. Doesn't matter which way you lean.

As for the PG, yeah I have always hated their PSU bs slant, but if that is how you value a newspaper, if they are a cheerleader for your team or not, well your values are pretty effed up.

Reactions: Ski11585
Leftist writers. When the publisher changed, the writers group took out a freaking billboard expressing their leftist views, and staged a gathering in front of it with a photo they then paid to have placed in a full page of the paper, as a "protest". That effectively destroyed any semblance of political objectivity, whether you agree with their thinking or not.

Tony Norman in particular is probably the most racist "journalist" there, possibly anywhere. He has an almost psychotic hatred of caucasians (caucasian men, anyway). He once wrote a column calling not only for reparations, but that a portion of the US around Louisiana should be carved out of the nation, and given to African Americans to rule. And he furtherfantasized that slavery of whites should be the practice in said nation. And he was entirely serious. The rest of his output is similar. The dude is unhinged.

Agree with it or not (from what I've read here, several of you surely do... that's pretty far left.

I have to acknowledge his rants were entertaining, and he's certainly honest.

He of course doesn't see the irony that in this era, his extremism is protected due to PC, whereas a righty writing such a column for a mainstream newspaper espousing the return to slavery would be immediately fired.
But you know what? I love nothing more than on Sundays reading both the Trib and PG and their Op/Ed pages. I just don't want to read the same views by the same people all of the time. I would prefer both sides and make my own judgment. So I am fine with the PG's slant. I know where most of them are coming from and so be it.

Humans are going to have bias and there will always be a peer pressure and tendency to hire like yourself etc. Thus the media being so liberal in general (you can be assured even most Fox news broadcasters are almost certainly liberal at heart, especially the young hotties... they're just following scripts). But when you allow (or actively push) your bias to cross over into the news, you destroy objectivity and trust.

That's what makes things tough for the news consumer today who just wants facts. You can't just open a newspaper (or its web site) or click on a network news and learn what you need, in a single sitting. You need to really dive into multiple sources for basically every story, interpret the language being used, know the background of the "sources" (and somehow realize who they're purposely NOT interviewing). Constantly read between the lines. It's always wise to do that of course but it's freaking time consuming.
Touché.

The Post Gazette Pittsburgh Press or whatever they are called must think outside of the box and capture true value for their readers.

HTB1GxiLLXXXXXXwXXXXq6xXFXXXU.jpg

fishy.jpg

But you know what? I love nothing more than on Sundays reading both the Trib and PG and their Op/Ed pages. I just don't want to read the same views by the same people all of the time. I would prefer both sides and make my own judgment. So I am fine with the PG's slant. I know where most of them are coming from and so be it.
The op-ed is fine. When it spills into the news itself, it destroys credibility. I can't really trust the raw facts of the news I hear on Fox ... or on CNN or NBC. Or what I read in the NYT or Wall St Journal by themselves.

The op-ed is fine. When it spills into the news itself, it destroys credibility. I can't really trust the raw facts of the news I hear on Fox ... or on CNN or NBC. Or what I read in the NYT or Wall St Journal by themselves.
Your complaints are exactly what leads to the infiltration of the fake news sources...every single media source you listed actually go through vetting and usually multiple sourcing.... blogging doesn’t, Alex Jones doesn’t, fake Russian websites like we’ve seen with titles like “ Free Eagle Patriot Today” don’t either .

And who do the people who complain all the time about normal vetted sources as “fake news” run to ...? Those garbage sources.

That doesn’t mean normal journalism is 100% infallible... but if your views start falling in line with say Qanon...? Better rethink.

Reactions: TempleBAPittMPA
The Post Gazette actually employs journalists (e.g Rich Lord, Kate Gimmarise) who do actual old school journalism. Showing up to public hearings, school board meetings, doing right to know requests to government agencies, interviewing elected officials, actually paying attention to what happens in Harrisburg, etc. They did a great job covering the secretive Amazon bid for example.

As the paper continues to shrink, that is the thing I worry about losing. Maybe PublicSource can replace all that but it's expensive to hire full time staff to cover legit news. But it's a problem around the country that journalists are losing jobs and more of us get opinion oriented "news" via click bait-driven algorithms on our computers, siloing us into ideological echo chambers.

Tony Norman in particular is probably the most racist "journalist" there, possibly anywhere.

He's not a journalist, he's an editor who writes on the opinion page.

Fwiw the editorial board has also supported Corbett, Toomey, Rick Saccone, Guy Rescenthaler, the GOP candidate for treasurer -- and did a defacto Trump endorsement.

Of course I find all that irrelevant. I like the paper for journalism, not opinions; and for restaurant and arts reviews. And the occasional Pitt story.

He's not a journalist, he's an editor who writes on the opinion page.

Fwiw the editorial board has also supported Corbett, Toomey, Rick Saccone, Guy Rescenthaler, the GOP candidate for treasurer -- and did a defacto Trump endorsement.

Of course I find all that irrelevant. I like the paper for journalism, not opinions; and for restaurant and arts reviews. And the occasional Pitt story.
And as an editor he helps shape the content of the news stories covered, how they're written, and, well, edited.

Just like Jerry Micco as sports editor. PSU cultist. Thus 120% pro-PSU coverage. Child rape scandal gleefully ignored as long as possible, or when finally forced to be acknowledged, was done so with breathtakingly horrifying denial, in the form of his mouthpieces Cook and Smizik.

Listen, this is nothing about negativity of Pitt sports. Pitt sports shortcomings stand on their own and negativity is largely deserved. It's the overall lack of objectivity, especially about the far more important things.

Last edited:
Yes agree. What used to be sources of information and informed opinion now is strictly propaganda. Take this daily assault the current president. Every day. 365. 24 hours. Non stop. Anyone ever hear the fable of Chicken Little? That's where we are. I am not defending the current president at all, just questioning the intentions of the news media as it exists today. And of course you have Fox, but at least with Fox it is not like they are pretending to be some fair and balanced news agency. LOL

That’s because in part it’s Here’s no such thing as “ Liberal media “... it’s eyeballs and clicks ... straight up corporate media

What did the CBS guy say? Bad for America but good for our Bottom Line?

Bingo

Trump got so much free airtime in 2016 it was absurd... blocks of time with split screens on empty podiums because of the expected “spectacle “..,,

Some have finally caught on not covering every single garbage rally... but many haven’t.

Look at who owns those media sources then tell me they’re all “ liberal “.,, please.

That’s because in part it’s Here’s no such thing as “ Liberal media “... it’s eyeballs and clicks ... straight up corporate media

What did the CBS guy say? Bad for America but good for our Bottom Line?

Bingo

Trump got so much free airtime in 2016 it was absurd... blocks of time with split screens on empty podiums because of the expected “spectacle “..,,

Some have finally caught on not covering every single garbage rally... but many haven’t.

Look at who owns those media sources then tell me they’re all “ liberal “.,, please.
The exec's only care about the eyeballs (as you say). Content is left up to the "talent" ... as long as it delivers the revenue. It just so happens that TDS brings in the eyeballs of the progressive demo more so than their own candidates. If totally ignoring him brought better ratings they'd far prefer to do that. But it's like the Howard stern thing, really.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT