ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Philly losers

Right. Now do the Pirates and lower level Hounds.

I get crapping on Philly, but it’s extra funny doing it when the home teams aren’t even a pimple on their arses.

Baseball and??????

Well, it wasn't the Eagles, Flyers, or 76ers. So I might challenge their definition of "major," ha.

challenge.gif

On Saturday for the 1st time in history, a city lost two major team sports championships in the same day.

Beautiful
MLS is officially a major sport?

I don't follow it, but does it get about the same average attendance as the NHL? If so, then I'd say it's worthy of being called a major sport.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Does Philly think MLS is a major sport? I’d say Philly would have a list of importance like this:
Football
Baseball
NBA
Hockey

MLS

I don't follow it, but does it get about the same average attendance as the NHL? If so, then I'd say it's worthy of being called a major sport.
MLS average was 21,006 compared to NHL which was 15,841. MLS plays 17 home games compared to 41 for NHL. MLS is becoming a major sport.

Does Philly think MLS is a major sport? I’d say Philly would have a list of importance like this:
Football
Baseball
NBA
Hockey

MLS
Well the Union averaged 18,126 per game while the Flyers averaged 16,540. While I agree that the flyers are more popular the gap is not as large as you think.

On Saturday for the 1st time in history, a city lost two major team sports championships in the same day.

Beautiful
C'mon, man. I know you guys are the little bros, but not exactly a fitting time to talk trash on Philly pro sports from a Pittsburgher's perspective. Maybe give it a few weeks until the Flyers are back in last place, anyways.

Well the Union averaged 18,126 per game while the Flyers averaged 16,540. While I agree that the flyers are more popular the gap is not as large as you think.
I didn’t create my list on a numbers calculation of ticket sales. More along the lines of where fans would rate sports. No way a real Philly fan sees the Union as more popular than the flyers.

Soccer and hockey are very entertaining. But Philly fans have a deep tradition. It’ll take time for the Union to be viewed on near equal grounds as the other mainstream sports.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
The other thing I will say about Philly's MLS team -- they play in Chester, not Philly. There are a lot of depressed looking towns in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania given our former industrial strength that has long since moved out, but Chester has to be up there as one of the most depressed looking industrial wastelands in the state. In some ways it's hard for me to consider MLS a major league sport when they put their stadiums in those kinds of neighborhoods.

I'm not making this up -- if you go to Google Maps, directly sandwiched between Subaru Park (the Union's stadium) and Parking Lot A is "Wade Dump" which, if you click on the description, explains it is a garbage dump.

C'mon, man. I know you guys are the little bros, but not exactly a fitting time to talk trash on Philly pro sports from a Pittsburgher's perspective. Maybe give it a few weeks until the Flyers are back in last place, anyways.
flyers in last place in a few weeks? You watching the penguins? no chance you flyers will knock us off that last place perch..

what does "little bros" mean in regards to pro sport championship success over the past 4 or 5 decades?

I didn’t realize the term “major team sport”offended and triggered so many. Look, I don’t follow MLS at all. I couldn’t name 10 players in the entire league. And yes it’s a minor league in my eyes. But ones definition of “major team sport” is subjective. For me, a team sport that has the stadiums they do and draws 20-30k per match in plenty of places can be considered a major team sport by plenty of measurements. One can argue whether it’s 4th or 5th in the pecking order…but frankly it’s no less relevant than the NHL. it’s not like we are talking about professional Lacrosse or the Pittsburgh Passion.

I mean the Flyers have been established for 50 years, and Flyer fans have been gluttons for punishment since 1975. The Union haven’t been around for a decade have they? Obviously they won’t have the fanbase the Flyers have. It will take decades.

Reactions: mike 301

It's the highest level of that sport in this country, they have players making millions of dollars per year, so yeah, I'd call it a major league. It probably tops NHL attendance.

Pittsburgh fans actually never have to stop trash talking, for the size of the city, way too much success, even if the teams suck for a decade, places like Philly, Detroit and Cleveland can't catch up.

I didn’t realize the term “major team sport”offended and triggered so many. Look, I don’t follow MLS at all. I couldn’t name 10 players in the entire league. And yes it’s a minor league in my eyes. But ones definition of “major team sport” is subjective. For me, a team sport that has the stadiums they do and draws 20-30k per match in plenty of places can be considered a major team sport by plenty of measurements. One can argue whether it’s 4th or 5th in the pecking order…but frankly it’s no less relevant than the NHL. it’s not like we are talking about professional Lacrosse or the Pittsburgh Passion.
First off, it's the American anti-soccer thing, some traditional Americans don't want to concede that the Good Ole USA can have a major league in soccer. Just because they hate soccer because it's un-American and for Euro Trash :)

As for you, yes MLS is a minor league ON THE WORLD LEVEL, so is maybe the Greek Super League, but in those countries, it's THE MAJOR LEAGUE,

First off, it's the American anti-soccer thing, some traditional Americans don't want to concede that the Good Ole USA can have a major league in soccer. Just because they hate soccer because it's un-American and for Euro Trash :)

As for you, yes MLS is a minor league ON THE WORLD LEVEL, so is maybe the Greek Super League, but in those countries, it's THE MAJOR LEAGUE,
Well we know what the major league is here, and it’s the NFL. That’s it. It’s in a league by itself. Then it’s the NBA a few notches down. And then it’s everything else a few notches behind that. But I’ll even say this about the NBA…I’m not a fan of it at all, but by some measurements it might be the biggest of them all when considering how many people around the world follow it.

Pittsburgh fans actually never have to stop trash talking, for the size of the city, way too much success, even if the teams suck for a decade, places like Philly, Detroit and Cleveland can't catch up.
Nothing says we can’t recognize our own current futility while also pointing out a historic factoid involving the other major city in this state. Saturday had to be a very cool day to experience over there….until around 6:30pm.

Well we know what the major league is here, and it’s the NFL. That’s it. It’s in a league by itself. Then it’s the NBA a few notches down. And then it’s everything else a few notches behind that. But I’ll even say this about the NBA…I’m not a fan of it at all, but by some measurements it might be the biggest of them all when considering how many people around the world follow it.
I think there's a couple ways to define MAJOR LEAGUE, for the world and for each country, the biggest league for any sport in the whole world is something like NFL, NBA or EPL, But then major league for any given country is the top level league of any sport for that specific country, like MLS in soccer for USA or CFL for football in Canada for example.

I think there's a couple ways to define MAJOR LEAGUE, for the world and for each country, the biggest league for any sport in the whole world is something like NFL, NBA or EPL, But then major league for any given country is the top level league of any sport for that specific country, like MLS in soccer for USA or CFL for football in Canada for example.
The branch campus guy above posted a good link. In it, it said that the MLS is the 7th largest sports league in the world. I had no idea. But again, there are plenty of ways to define and measure such things. Maybe I should pay attention to it…but I just can’t. As you know, I’ve tried. The championship game was on Saturday. I knew it was on and I knew the stadium would be some of the best sports atmosphere this country has ever seen. But yet I still forgot all about it until I saw something on twitter yesterday. I also forgot about the World Series…6 times this year.

MLS average was 21,006 compared to NHL which was 15,841. MLS plays 17 home games compared to 41 for NHL. MLS is becoming a major sport.
Temple Football averaged 21, 464 per game last year. Using your argument, Temple Football > Flyers hockey. Sounds pretty silly, doesn't it?

Temple Football averaged 21, 464 per game last year. Using your argument, Temple Football > Flyers hockey. Sounds pretty silly, doesn't it?
Nobody here is saying Temple or the Union are more popular than the Flyers, just saying that MLS is THE USA's soccer major league.

The branch campus guy above posted a good link. In it, it said that the MLS is the 7th largest sports league in the world. I had no idea. But again, there are plenty of ways to define and measure such things. Maybe I should pay attention to it…but I just can’t. As you know, I’ve tried. The championship game was on Saturday. I knew it was on and I knew the stadium would be some of the best sports atmosphere this country has ever seen. But yet I still forgot all about it until I saw something on twitter yesterday. I also forgot about the World Series…6 times this year.
I haven't watched an inning of a World Series game since Yankees vs Arizona, I think 2001 or 02? and that was only because I was stuck in a bar waiting for someone to show up, who was late, last entire WS game I have watched? Pirates vs Os, Game 7, 1979 :)

I have a pecking order, Pitt Football definitely > MLS Cup, If the Pitt game wasn't on at the same time, I might have watched it

I do think that's a problem for MLS, I'm sure they have other fans like me, who follow a team or the league in general, but grew up as US sports fans and when football starts, soccer takes a back seat.

Nobody here is saying Temple or the Union are more popular than the Flyers, just saying that MLS is THE USA's soccer major league.
Isn't it the only soccer league in the US? Of course it is the USA's major soccer league. It is in the name - Major League Soccer. Not sure anyone could debate that.

EPL still gets better TV ratings in the US though.

Isn't it the only soccer league in the US? Of course it is the USA's major soccer league. It is in the name - Major League Soccer. Not sure anyone could debate that.

EPL still gets better TV ratings in the US though.
And the NBA probably has better ratings than the local leagues in Europe too.

Sure. But now I have no idea what we are even discussing.
Just that in Spain or Greece, they have their own Major League Basketball, but they probably watch NBA more given the choice. Personally, I actually enjoy Euro League Basketball more than NBA, it's more like NCAA style of play and not a 3-point shooting contest with legal travelling.

I’m more surprised anyone considers jogging a sport

Football
Baseball
NBA
Hockey

MLS
If there is one thing I've learned from Panther Lair, it's that the order should be:

NFL
NBA
MLB
NHL

Peloton
MMA

PGA Tour

LIV Golf

MLS

If there is one thing I've learned from Panther Lair, it's that the order should be:

NFL
NBA
MLB
NHL

Peloton
MMA

PGA Tour

LIV Golf

MLS
People in Philly may not appreciate the peloton like yinzers. I think they’d have cheese steak eating where peloton is on your list.

NFL
NBA
MLB
NHL

Peloton
MMA

PGA Tour

LIV Golf

MLS
Yeah I’d agree with this. In all these years, I only know one guy on these boards who watches MLS, and he’s not a fan of the league but more so just a fan of his team. That being said, I haven’t watched an MLB game outside of the Pirates in 30 years, and game 7 of the Stanley cup final this year is the only NHL game I’ve watched in decades outside of the Penguins. So I guess I can’t call myself a fan of those leagues. I’d be willing to bet a large majority of people are like me

It's the highest level of that sport in this country, they have players making millions of dollars per year, so yeah, I'd call it a major league. It probably tops NHL attendance.
Total attendance or average attendance? You also ignore ticket pricing in your comparison. Doubt total gate revenue for MLS is anywhere close to NHL or any of the so called 4 major sports. My preference is lacrosse anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT