ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pickup trucks

Doge Ram Hemi. Crew Cab. Love it. Wife has a Lexus RX350 and prefers to take the truck on vacation drives. We also haul our Pontoon with it with no problems.
It really depends what you are looking for when it comes to a truck.
My son has a midsize Ford Ranger for commuting and work. More economical but doesn’t do the hauling. And no space for long rides.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I needed to haul stuff and do it pretty often or I wouldn't have bothered. Truthfully I need another but they are way overvalued. There are a lot of guys driving them around like a status symbol or something. I've known several guys that just refuse to haul anything in them because it will "lower the value". Won't even fold back the tonneau cover to haul a piece of furniture. Just weird to pay that much for something and not use it for the intended purpose. The OP wants to tow a boat. That makes sense to me. Can't speak for others in this thread but it is weird to see these guys tooling around, babying these things, and they really can't even park them correctly.
I will definitely put a truck to work. Will haul mulch and compost etc, wood, the yard waste we don't burn in addition to the boat and trailer. Looking to get a camper to tow too. When I work overnight shifts, our trainees are usually very junior so we have to stay on-site at the hospital. There is nowhere for us to sleep except the floor of our offices. So I'm going to park up the camper in the hospital carpark. For weekends I am there for at least 48 hours. Will set up a barbeque and horseshoe pits on the lawn. I'll call it "work camping".

Reactions: pittdan77
I will definitely put a truck to work. Will haul mulch and compost etc, wood, the yard waste we don't burn in addition to the boat and trailer. Looking to get a camper to tow too. When I work overnight shifts, our trainees are usually very junior so we have to stay on-site at the hospital. There is nowhere for us to sleep except the floor of our offices. So I'm going to park up the camper in the hospital carpark. For weekends I am there for at least 48 hours. Will set up a barbeque and horseshoe pits on the lawn. I'll call it "work camping".
That sounds like the 80’s TV show, “Trapper John, M.D.”

For anyone who doesn’t remember, it was a spin-off from M.A.S.H., and he lived in a travel trailer on parking lot of the hospital he worked in.

That sounds like the 80’s TV show, “Trapper John, M.D.”

For anyone who doesn’t remember, it was a spin-off from M.A.S.H., and he lived in a travel trailer on parking lot of the hospital he worked in.

That's where I got the idea. I wouldn't live there though. Just bring it down a few times a month for my acute shifts.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Don't they have call rooms or something you could crash in or is this just a personal preference?

One thing about the Ram that I've constantly been impressed with is its ability to tow and pull. I have pulled full grown oak trees out of some rough and wet areas and the damn thing doesn't even argue. I had to have a solenoid pack in the transmission replaced around 140k miles and the guy that did it sort of ribbed me for not doing any work with a truck that was that beat up because the tranny was so clean. He couldn't get over some of the things I've done with it. Only issue with the Dodge is that it's a Dodge and it will rust. I'm hoping to sell it this summer to a HS kid or someone who will put some effort into fixing the body. It easily could get another 100k with the right owner.

I ended up getting an LDV truck. Got a great deal and it will do what I need it to once I accessorise it.

Reactions: pittdan77
Who has them? What do you like from your truck, and what are the drawbacks?
Looking to get one. Need dual cab and would be towing trailer and boat regularly. Need to ford shallow rivers and deal with moderate mud and unpaved roads.
Prefer diesel to get maximum engine life.
Would pay a bit more to buy American. Heard Ford Ranger not so hot. Holden (Australasian Chevy) Colorado seems pretty well liked. Heard good things about Mitusbishi, Toyota Hilux, and Mazda pickups.
What are your experiences with pickups?
When I was on the South Island of NZ, our hunt guide drove a Toyota Hilux. No matter where on the globe, I don’t think you can go wrong with Toyota. And this is coming from an F150 owner (US) for the last two decades.

I have a Gladiator Rubicon and it is just a Jeep with a bed that is not all that usable if you have a hard tonneau cover, can't fit an Rtic 65 cooler under it, but I bought it because I wanted a Jeep and use it offroad to access hard to reach fishing spots and it great for that.

Got a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon because it is a good platform for overlanding. It definitely has allowed that. The bed, towing capacity, and payload are decent, not great. The off-roading capability, for a mid-size truck, has been excellent and I have not modified the suspension or tires. I have added additional skid plates, lights, rack and a winch (I tend to solo off-road so a winch is vital).

I am now looking at getting another off-roading platform. I was looking at a Tundra but full-size trucks on trails where I am is a pain. I will probably go with a Tacoma but this time I am going to modify more.

LDV makes pickup trucks?

edit: NVM, I was thinking of the US LDV that makes tool and food trucks.
Yes, available in NZ. Their reputation with large and industrial trucks were a positive.

I have a Gladiator Rubicon and it is just a Jeep with a bed that is not all that usable if you have a hard tonneau cover, can't fit an Rtic 65 cooler under it, but I bought it because I wanted a Jeep and use it offroad to access hard to reach fishing spots and it great for that.

I almost bought one of those for the same reason. I went for a Bronco. The idea of the truck bed to throw waders and boots into seems nice though.

When I was on the South Island of NZ, our hunt guide drove a Toyota Hilux. No matter where on the globe, I don’t think you can go wrong with Toyota. And this is coming from an F150 owner (US) for the last two decades.
Where were you hunting on the South island? Fiordland?
I live in Southland.

Reactions: Tuckabuckaway
I had a 2010 Ford F-150 platinum. Loved that truck. Finally traded it in about a year and a half ago. I put 268k miles on it. Only issue I had with it was an AC Compressor and a thermostat that failed. Besides brakes, tires, spark plugs, shock/struts (all wear items) it was great. Traded it for a Ford Expedition. Miss the truck on the rare occasions (mulch/lumber/furniture) but also don't miss being the guy with a truck that helps everyone. LOL.

Fairlie area. You’re a lucky man! NZ’s beauty, especially the South Island, is truly beyond words. We had such a great visit. My favorite place on the planet.
Yeah, I am very fortunate to live here. It's a very beautiful place.

So were you shooting tahr up there?

The Mackenzie country is starting to get infested with wallabies. You can go out and shoot as many as you want.

I am headed up that way for Easter weekend. Doing some fishing. Haven't decided if I'm going to fish the Ahuriri River or try for a monster in the Tekapo/Ohau canals.

Down the road from me there is an elk farm. I know the owner's wife. He raises them to sell to the luxury hunting lodges and guides. These things have racks so large they can barely lift their heads. The hunting outfits buy them and helicopter them in for hunters, sort of like stocking the fish and game pond with hundreds of trout for kids fishing day. They take out these Chinese and US guys with f-you money. They spend the day flying around some scenic places, and after not finding anything to shoot, they try "one last spot" and within a fenced in perimeter at a clearing there is a massive elk. The poor things can't even get into the bush because the racks are so damn big. They shoot it and the hunter pays between $30,000-$60,000 for the experience and the rack.

Reactions: Tuckabuckaway
Got a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon because it is a good platform for overlanding. It definitely has allowed that. The bed, towing capacity, and payload are decent, not great. The off-roading capability, for a mid-size truck, has been excellent and I have not modified the suspension or tires. I have added additional skid plates, lights, rack and a winch (I tend to solo off-road so a winch is vital).

I am now looking at getting another off-roading platform. I was looking at a Tundra but full-size trucks on trails where I am is a pain. I will probably go with a Tacoma but this time I am going to modify more.
I bought 2016 Wrangler 4 door JK Rubicon to build a more capable off-roader. I have not locked in a plan for it outside of 4.5 lift and eventually 40 inch tires but that will take some pricey upgrades to get there so 37s for the next couple of years.

I almost bought one of those for the same reason. I went for a Bronco. The idea of the truck bed to throw waders and boots into seems nice though.
It is perfect for hunting and fishing because you don't have to worry about how dirty, muddy, or wet your gear is; you just hose everything down when you get home.

The Mackenzie country is starting to get infested with wallabies. You can go out and shoot as many as you want.

I am headed up that way for Easter weekend. Doing some fishing. Haven't decided if I'm going to fish the Ahuriri River or try for a monster in the Tekapo/Ohau canals.

Down the road from me there is an elk farm. I know the owner's wife. He raises them to sell to the luxury hunting lodges and guides. These things have racks so large they can barely lift their heads. The hunting outfits buy them and helicopter them in for hunters, sort of like stocking the fish and game pond with hundreds of trout for kids fishing day. They take out these Chinese and US guys with f-you money. They spend the day flying around some scenic places, and after not finding anything to shoot, they try "one last spot" and within a fenced in perimeter at a clearing there is a massive elk. The poor things can't even get into the bush because the racks are so damn big. They shoot it and the hunter pays between $30,000-$60,000 for the experience and the rack.

Tahr and stag. No heli hunting for us. Nothing against those that choose heli hunts but not our thing. And really not a fan of those canned “hunts”. We like to punish ourselves while still able haha. We did all spot and stalk. Free range, though we were on private ranch land, not public. Took a day to fish for giants in Tekapo canals too. My son was able to land one. I’m terrible with a fishing rod but still lucky for the experience.
Such an amazing country, and amazing people…especially on South. Best of luck chasing over the Easter weekend! And enjoy the new wheels!

I bought 2016 Wrangler 4 door JK Rubicon to build a more capable off-roader. I have not locked in a plan for it outside of 4.5 lift and eventually 40 inch tires but that will take some pricey upgrades to get there so 37s for the next couple of years.
Yeah, it’s an expensive hobby. I am looking at getting a Taco and modifying the heck of out including putting an alu-cab camper on it. My job allows me to work remote at times. I intend to see just how remote I can get with this and Starlink.

Yeah, it’s an expensive hobby. I am looking at getting a Taco and modifying the heck of out including putting an alu-cab camper on it. My job allows me to work remote at times. I intend to see just how remote I can get with this and Starlink.
We just got Starlink at camp for that very reason, both brother-in-law and myself can work remotely about half the time. We have thought about getting an RV setup so we can take it anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT