ADVERTISEMENT

OT Pirates

Oct 6, 2012
Buyers or sellers. Will be tough for them to sell with this last week putting them back in contention. My guess is they don't buy or sell. I think if they could get really good value I wouldn't be opposed to them selling, I think the brewers are going to fall off, but its going to take a lot to end up ahead of the cubs.(more than I think they got)

Buyers or sellers. Will be tough for them to sell with this last week putting them back in contention. My guess is they don't buy or sell. I think if they could get really good value I wouldn't be opposed to them selling, I think the brewers are going to fall off, but its going to take a lot to end up ahead of the cubs.(more than I think they got)

Agreed

They will probably try to buy a couple of players with control to improve the roster.

Personally, I would deal Cutch if I could get 2 players with good upside potential. This team looked like a 90 win team on paper before all the issues popped up but now they will be fortunate to be mid 80s. That isn't getting them into the playoffs.

They will probably try to buy a couple of players with control to improve the roster.

Personally, I would deal Cutch if I could get 2 players with good upside potential. This team looked like a 90 win team on paper before all the issues popped up but now they will be fortunate to be mid 80s. That isn't getting them into the playoffs.

I would be tempted as well to trade Cutch. His trade value will never be higher... However, with the weak central division this year they have a real chance to do something they haven't been able to do and that's win the division instead of a wild card. The Cubs pitching is falling apart even with Quintana and his ERA is still over 4.

I still believe that Huntington will do close to zero before the trade deadline

Stand pat or bring in someone that can help. This team would be in first if not for the Hurdle mismanaging this team, in particular the bullpen. They will have almost everyone back next year as well.

Reactions: WJM21
Hurdle didn't f-up a visa, take PEDs, put cancer in testicles, etc.

To be .500 with the roster he's been playing is rather remarkable.

Stand pat or bring in someone that can help. This team would be in first if not for the Hurdle mismanaging this team, in particular the bullpen. They will have almost everyone back next year as well.

What ever move they make I hope they include Watson or some other underachieving reliever
I would deal Watson and maybe try to include Freise and try to get someone who can sure up 3rd base! I know Sandoval was released, that's an option and couldn't be any worse at the hot corner. Plus he brings the bat!

Reactions: paulbl99
I would deal Watson and maybe try to include Freise and try to get someone who can sure up 3rd base! I know Sandoval was released, that's an option and couldn't be any worse at the hot corner. Plus he brings the bat!
Sandoval is back with the Giants.

The Fan 937 party line is "stand pat". Which would be the Nuttingesque route, but in this case not necessarily wrong. They could use another bat off the bench or a rent-a-starter. But just about every team could say that.

The aggressive play would be to get a third baseman, damn the cost. Don't hold your breath.

Bucs may have exposed the Brewers as frauds, but there go the Cubs.

Trade Watson ( a free agent at the end of the year) and Freese (an old role player). That is an awesome trade suggestion

Play to win now! Who cares about the "future", keep Cutch, I'd rather get a wild card again now, rather than get prospects with the hope of getting a wild card in 3 years! LOL! It's just entertainment, I'd rather see a pennant race THIS MONTH, than watch them build for the future.

I know Sandoval was released, that's an option and couldn't be any worse at the hot corner. Plus he brings the bat!

I suppose that Sandoval would literally bring his bats, but it's not like they are of any use anymore. .212/.269/.354 this season, hurt all year last season, and .245/.292/.366 the season before.

He does, however, back up that awful bat with some hideous fielding, so he has that going for him.

Sandoval actually is worse, much worse, than what the Pirates have played at third base this year.

I suppose that Sandoval would literally bring his bats, but it's not like they are of any use anymore. .212/.269/.354 this season, hurt all year last season, and .245/.292/.366 the season before.

He does, however, back up that awful bat with some hideous fielding, so he has that going for him.

Sandoval actually is worse, much worse, than what the Pirates have played at third base this year.

Alot of Pirates are focusing on 3B as their "weakness" and it maybe, but the players at 3B is not the cause for the Pirates slow start. It was McCutcheon being basically a complete no show the first full 2 months of the season, Marte's suspension, Cole's ineffectiveness, the unwillingness by the Pirates to go Rivero earlier as closer and Taillon's cancer. You can have the same 3B through that whole time (Freese) and if the other things weren't so bad, likely they are 8-9 games over .500 and leading the division.

Them never buying out of there structured plan is biting them in the ass this year.

A little off topic, but did anyone see the movement going down to have Clemente's 21 retired universally around baseball? I'd be down for that for sure. He did a lot for the game, was a great humanitarian, and it'd be neat to see the MLB retire a Pirate player's jersey number.

The only problem I see with it isn't that he isn't deserving, but his number may be seen as "the other retired number," which is not doing justice to his legacy.

Alot of Pirates are focusing on 3B as their "weakness" and it maybe, but the players at 3B is not the cause for the Pirates slow start. It was McCutcheon being basically a complete no show the first full 2 months of the season, Marte's suspension, Cole's ineffectiveness, the unwillingness by the Pirates to go Rivero earlier as closer and Taillon's cancer. You can have the same 3B through that whole time (Freese) and if the other things weren't so bad, likely they are 8-9 games over .500 and leading the division.

This is completely correct and evidence of why doing nothing (or very little) to their starting lineup at the deadline may end up being the strategy. No other team is going to add an All-star Gold Glove LF, a MVP-caliber CF, a solid #2 starter, and a lights-out closer. The problem is adding roster depth, durability, and the fact that the Cubs may finally be figuring out how to not fall over themselves, which has inexplicably allowed this division to have been a race this long.

A little off topic, but did anyone see the movement going down to have Clemente's 21 retired universally around baseball? I'd be down for that for sure. He did a lot for the game, was a great humanitarian, and it'd be neat to see the MLB retire a Pirate player's jersey number.

The only problem I see with it isn't that he isn't deserving, but his number may be seen as "the other retired number," which is not doing justice to his legacy.
I don't like a lot of number retiring. For individual teams, fine, but throughout a sport, I don't like #42 retired everywhere. Even within a team it shouldn't be easy and there shouldn't be so many, I like the Steelers have only retired two numbers-they could have gone hog wild after the '70s. Do you realize that no NY Yankee can ever where a single digit number ever again other than "0"?

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I don't like a lot of number retiring. For individual teams, fine, but throughout a sport, I don't like #42 retired everywhere. Even within a team it shouldn't be easy and there shouldn't be so many, I like the Steelers have only retired two numbers-they could have gone hog wild after the '70s. Do you realize that no NY Yankee can ever where a single digit number ever again other than "0"?
The Yankees also have 27 World Series titles which means a lot of history and great players, but I do see what you mean. You wonder if over time it'll get to the point where there is not enough numbers!

Even if they don't retire his 21, I do like what the Pirates have done to honor him over the years.

The Yankees also have 27 World Series titles which means a lot of history and great players, but I do see what you mean. You wonder if over time it'll get to the point where there is not enough numbers!

Even if they don't retire his 21, I do like what the Pirates have done to honor him over the years.

Steelers have the most Super Bowls, so think about it? if they went the route the Yankees go...

This is taking into account hall of famers, potential hall of famers, great players, it's a lot of numbers.

Steelers have the most Super Bowls, so think about it? if they went the route the Yankees go...

This is taking into account hall of famers, potential hall of famers, great players, it's a lot of numbers.
Yup, it does go both ways. But going back to Clemente, if the MLB does decide to universally retire another number, it definitely should be 21.

I think #8 should be retired universally through college football to honor the great Rick Trocano.

I did know he had the most wins by a pitcher, but I was not sure the exact number.

Yeah but I was stunned, I heard this week was the anniversary of his 500th win in July of 1910. When the hell did he start pitching??? When Paul Revere was taking ticket stubs at Fenway? From like 1891 to 1904 he averaged like 27 wins a year. I don't think there will ever be a 27 game winner now in MLB.

Yeah but I was stunned, I heard this week was the anniversary of his 500th win in July of 1910. When the hell did he start pitching??? When Paul Revere was taking ticket stubs at Fenway? From like 1891 to 1904 he averaged like 27 wins a year. I don't think there will ever be a 27 game winner now in MLB.
Yeah, that is insane. Last year's NL Cy Young winner, Scherzer, finished with a record of 20-7. Even a pitcher like Kershaw has only gotten to 21 wins, and I make that sound as if it's not an accomplishment. Most pitchers could have a perfect season and still not even come close to topping 27.

Yeah, that is insane. Last year's NL Cy Young winner, Scherzer, finished with a record of 20-7. Even a pitcher like Kershaw has only gotten to 21 wins, and I make that sound as if it's not an accomplishment. Most pitchers could have a perfect season and still not even come close to topping 27.

Since 1950, the Pirates have had six 20 game winners. The last being John Smiley in 1992.

Denny Mcclain won an astounding 31 games for the 68 tigers. But unfortunately he was nailed for illegal gambling and never was a factor again

He started 40 or more games in a season 11 times. No one will ever do that again. The game has changed too much.

Right. I mean the Pirates third basemen this season haven't been exactly lighting the league up. But the solution to that surely isn't someone like Sandoval, who hasn't been even decent since 2014. He was always big, but he signed that huge contract and then decided to see if he could eat all those millions. It appears he has succeeded.

He's such a good option that the Red Sox, who have gotten worse production this year from their third basemen than the Pirates have, would rather cut him and eat the $50 million they still owe him than have him play even one more game for them.

The Pirates are now 2 games back, and will be better next year barring any unforeseen circumstances like this year. They need to keep this team together, and add some pieces. Those of you that want to trade Cutch are clueless.

Reactions: caleco's
Will be interested to see what they do, they're in an interesting spot given Kang's situation.

Maybe they get some bullpen help and a rental type bat. Danny Valencia might be a decent fit.

It would be hard to imagine much selling, there isn't an albatross contract on their books like with Liriano last year, where they want to dump a guy who has clearly lost it and reallocate the money and the roster spot going forward. Ramirez and McGuire both appear to have picked up where they left off last year as well, with their stock plummeting.

It would be hard to imagine much selling, there isn't an albatross contract on their books like with Liriano last year, where they want to dump a guy who has clearly lost it and reallocate the money and the roster spot going forward. Ramirez and McGuire both appear to have picked up where they left off last year as well, with their stock plummeting.

That's the thing at no one who bitches about that trade seems to have noticed. So far this season Liriano is 5-5 with a 6.15 era. His whip is 1.73 and he's walking 5.0 batters per nine innings. He also missed some time while injured. If you were making a list of the worst starting pitchers in the majors so far this season his name is on the list. Maybe at the top. To put it into Pirates terms, he been worst this year than Chad Kuhl. Much worse than Chad Kuhl, in fact.

Ramirez is hitting .258/.306/.354 at AA, although he is still young for the league. McGuire is hitting .216/.311/.373 in AA (he is also still young for AA), and has been hurt this year, and he is also not the best catcher on his team. Drew Hutchinson hasn't been anything special (although he did make the AAA all star game), but he is clearly having the best season of any of the four so far this year. By a considerable margin.

That's the thing at no one who bitches about that trade seems to have noticed. So far this season Liriano is 5-5 with a 6.15 era. His whip is 1.73 and he's walking 5.0 batters per nine innings. He also missed some time while injured. If you were making a list of the worst starting pitchers in the majors so far this season his name is on the list. Maybe at the top. To put it into Pirates terms, he been worst this year than Chad Kuhl. Much worse than Chad Kuhl, in fact.

Ramirez is hitting .258/.306/.354 at AA, although he is still young for the league. McGuire is hitting .216/.311/.373 in AA (he is also still young for AA), and has been hurt this year, and he is also not the best catcher on his team. Drew Hutchinson hasn't been anything special (although he did make the AAA all star game), but he is clearly having the best season of any of the four so far this year. By a considerable margin.

Right, teams have pretty much realized that you shouldn't swing at most of Liriano's pitches and his effectiveness has plummeted.

Plus it's not like the money and roster spot were squandered. They brought back Nova, extended Freese, spent on Hudson.

The anger over trading Melancon for "not a proven closer" appears to have subsided as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT