ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pirates

TFBaum

Junior
Jan 22, 2020
I just looked up their payroll and they are second to last. I looked up the Penguins and they are 4 times the Pirates wtf.

Reactions: bwh05
What is funny, still to this day, the biggest contract ever given out by the Pirates was Jason Kendall's 6 year, $60million contract. That wouldn't even be a top 100 salary today.
Heard that on the radio yesterday. Both surprising, and at the same time not surprising.
They speculated that Hayes would be the one to break that streak.

There's a lot riding on these next two drafts for the Pirates, PLUS, what can they get in the inevitable Adam Frazier trade?
They said the White Sox have the most need for him, but their farm system is weak, so they would be offering established ML players. Hope they don't do that because that would be just like the Cole deal and they aren't in a position to benefit from those kind of players yet.

Build around Hayes and Reynolds. In 3 or 4 years, they will be solid established players with experience to guide the newbies. The key is pitching. They need to hit on 3 or 4 good young starters. They've shown they can patch together a good pen. Also need one of the multitude of drafted SS's to step up. Sign a FA for 1B and find a couple more outfielders and of course a catcher.

Milwaukee is an amazing small market franchise. They always seem to be in contention. Still have a low payroll, but also have some guys with big contracts! Pittsburgh needs to pay attention to them and Tampa Bay for inspiration.

Reactions: WJM21
Heard that on the radio yesterday. Both surprising, and at the same time not surprising. They speculated that Hayes would be the one to break that streak. There's a lot riding on these next two drafts for the Pirates, PLUS, what can they get in the inevitable Adam Frazier trade? They said the White Sox have the most need for him, but their farm system is weak, so they would be offering established ML players. Hope they don't do that because that would be just like the Cole deal and they aren't in a position to benefit from those kind of players yet. Build around Hayes and Reynolds. In 3 or 4 years, they will be solid established players with experience to guide the newbies. The key is pitching. They need to hit on 3 or 4 good young starters. They've shown they can patch together a good pen. Also need one of the multitude of drafted SS's to step up. Sign a FA for 1B and find a couple more outfielders and of course a catcher. Milwaukee is an amazing small market franchise. They always seem to be in contention. Still have a low payroll, but also have some guys with big contracts! Pittsburgh needs to pay attention to them and Tampa Bay for inspiration.
Heard that on the radio yesterday. Both surprising, and at the same time not surprising. They speculated that Hayes would be the one to break that streak. There's a lot riding on these next two drafts for the Pirates, PLUS, what can they get in the inevitable Adam Frazier trade? They said the White Sox have the most need for him, but their farm system is weak, so they would be offering established ML players. Hope they don't do that because that would be just like the Cole deal and they aren't in a position to benefit from those kind of players yet. Build around Hayes and Reynolds. In 3 or 4 years, they will be solid established players with experience to guide the newbies. The key is pitching. They need to hit on 3 or 4 good young starters. They've shown they can patch together a good pen. Also need one of the multitude of drafted SS's to step up. Sign a FA for 1B and find a couple more outfielders and of course a catcher. Milwaukee is an amazing small market franchise. They always seem to be in contention. Still have a low payroll, but also have some guys with big contracts! Pittsburgh needs to pay attention to them and Tampa Bay for inspiration.

Heard that on the radio yesterday. Both surprising, and at the same time not surprising.

There's a lot riding on these next two drafts for the Pirates, PLUS, what can they get in the inevitable Adam Frazier trade?
They said the White Sox have the most need for him, but their farm system is weak, so they would be offering established ML players. Hope they don't do that because that would be just like the Cole deal and they aren't in a position to benefit from those kind of players yet.

Build around Hayes and Reynolds. In 3 or 4 years, they will be solid established players with experience to guide the newbies. The key is pitching. They need to hit on 3 or 4 good young starters. They've shown they can patch together a good pen. Also need one of the multitude of drafted SS's to step up. Sign a FA for 1B and find a couple more outfielders and of course a catcher.

Milwaukee is an amazing small market franchise. They always seem to be in contention. Still have a low payroll, but also have some guys with big contracts! Pittsburgh needs to pay attention to them and Tampa Bay for inspiration.

The young starters are Contrares, Priester, Mlodzinski, Jones, & maybe Florez. The Bucks are doing well in A+ & AA with the pitchers.

And they have solid to excellent AA prospects doing well at 1B, 2B, SS, & LF. All have a chance to move up this year. And both the A teams are stacked.

Alas - AAA is still a wasteland.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The young starters are Contrares, Priester, Mlodzinski, Jones, & maybe Florez. The Bucks are doing well in A+ & AA with the pitchers. And they have solid to excellent AA prospects doing well at 1B, 2B, SS, & LF. All have a chance to move up this year. And both the A teams are stacked.

Alas - AAA is still a wasteland.
That's ok though.
Their resurgence is still 3 years away. Plenty of time for those young players to blossom.
Pitchers can break through faster than position players.

Plus if they can nab a solid #1 pitching prospect in this year's draft, that will be huge.

Reactions: CougarClaws
That's ok though.
Their resurgence is still 3 years away. Plenty of time for those young players to blossom.

Plus if they can nab a solid #1 pitching prospect in this year's draft, that will be huge.

Doubtful at 1st-Overall. Nobody has them taking one of the Vandy Boys. There's still a lot of good pitchers ranked in the 30s in this draft though, and they could save some $$ on the 1st, to go overslot when a higher end guy that needs more money falls, as they always do.

There's no top guy this year, just eight or nine quality guys that could go 1st-Overall depending on who you ask.

I think they pick the best college hitter in the draft for the 2nd straight year - the big armed Catcher Henry Davis. They can maybe save some money with that guy, while servicing a significant organizational need.

That's ok though.

Doubtful at 1st-Overall. Nobody has them taking one of the Vandy Boys. There's still a lot of good pitchers ranked in the 30s in this draft though, and they could save some $$ on the 1st, to go overslot when a higher end guy that needs more money falls, as they always do.

There's no top guy this year, just eight or nine quality guys that could go 1st-Overall depending on who you ask.

I think they pick the best college hitter in the draft for the 2nd straight year - the big armed Catcher Henry Davis. They can maybe save some money with that guy, while servicing a significant organizational need.
The Vandy pitchers were hot for a while, but are fading. Leiter seems like the better P of the two. I'll say he'll have a good career, but not a blazer, just a good pitcher with bloodlines.
If they draft another SS, I sure hope they get it right this time. Their track record at picking SS's high is dismal!
I hope they pick the catcher too. If for no other reason than to pi$$ off Joe the Panther fan! LOL
Hope he turns out to be the next Buster Posey/Yadier Molina/Johnny Bench!!!

Reactions: CougarClaws
The Vandy pitchers were hot for a while, but are fading. Leiter seems like the better P of the two. I'll say he'll have a good career, but not a blazer, just a good pitcher with bloodlines.
If they draft another SS, I sure hope they get it right this time. Their track record at picking SS's high is dismal!
I hope they pick the catcher too. If for no other reason than to pi$$ off Joe the Panther fan! LOL

And SS is probably their strongest MiLB position - with top prospects in Rookie Ball, A, A+, & AA. They can all hit, they all have some power, and they all have some plate patience.

And SS is probably their strongest MiLB position - with top prospects in Rookie Ball, A, A+, & AA. They can all hit, they all have some power, and they all have some plate patience.
That's good. I was thinking of the two who have been up here off and on. Newman and Tucker.

Milwaukee's ownership actually took out a full page ad in the local paper addressing that they are rebuilding and will have low payroll, but when the time comes, they will spend the needed money. And they mostly have. Hell, look at what Cincy has spent.

I am not saying Nutting and the Pirates should have a $180-200 million payroll every year, but in times like these you give and give again, I mean, you bank it, save it for later, and then when the time comes, you go for it, even if it means a year or two outside your comfort zone of payroll.

Bob Nutting has failed at doing this in their first foray of real contention. And therefore, lost alot of trust. But to be honest, I still blame the former GM and President for perhaps not presenting the argument well.

Why would that piss me off?

What the Pirates should be doing, and probably are doing (assuming that they feel like most people do that there is no clear cut number one pick) is talking to the representatives of the four or five guys that they could reasonably pick at number one and seeing what kind of deal it would take to sign them. And if Davis, or Leiter, or Mayer, or whomever, is willing to sign a better deal (from the Pirates perspective) then that's the guy that they should pick. And then they should spend all the money that they save there on picking a guy who dropped because of his salary demands in the second round and the third round.

I think it is likely that the college guys will demand more money, because if they don't sign they only have to wait one more year to get drafted again (although if they do that they lose a lot of leverage), than it is that the high school guys will, because they will have to wait three more years to get drafted again. So at this point I think one of the high school guys is probably most likely. But that's what the Pirates should be finding out right now.

FWIW, Keith Law on the Athletic in his last mock draft had the Pirates taking Mayer, but he said that right now that Pirates are only looking at the position players, and he thinks that right now it's going to be either Mayer, Lawler or Davis.

Why would that piss me off?

What the Pirates should be doing, and probably are doing (assuming that they feel like most people do that there is no clear cut number one pick) is talking to the representatives of the four or five guys that they could reasonably pick at number one and seeing what kind of deal it would take to sign them. And if Davis, or Leiter, or Mayer, or whomever, is willing to sign a better deal (from the Pirates perspective) then that's the guy that they should pick. And then they should spend all the money that they save there on picking a guy who dropped because of his salary demands in the second round and the third round.

I think it is likely that the college guys will demand more money, because if they don't sign they only have to wait one more year to get drafted again (although if they do that they lose a lot of leverage), than it is that the high school guys will, because they will have to wait three more years to get drafted again. So at this point I think one of the high school guys is probably most likely. But that's what the Pirates should be finding out right now.

FWIW, Keith Law on the Athletic in his last mock draft had the Pirates taking Mayer, but he said that right now that Pirates are only looking at the position players, and he thinks that right now it's going to be either Mayer, Lawler or Davis.
Thought you made the case that you never take a catcher with #1 because of the wear and tear on that position.
If not it must have been another sabermetric genius.
Sorry.

The OP is dumb. How is the Penguins salary relevant to the Pirates?

I was all about Kumar Rocker because he was the assumed first overall pick the past 12 months, but I’ll be OK with whatever direction they take in the draft, whether that be pitching, catcher, or shortstop. I love what Cherington has done with the farm system in such little time (going to get even better with the Adam Frazier trade) and I’ll trust the direction he takes.

Last edited:
Went to game last night, Jacob stallings was batting clean up.

Jacob freaking stallings. It’s a slap in the face that a piece of garbage like him is even on a roster and I have to see him batting clean up.

That's good. I was thinking of the two who have been up here off and on. Newman and Tucker.

I don't consider them relevant - Ben Cherington runs this ship now. Those two are developmental failures of the past regime IMO. I'm looking to the future - 2023 to be exact - that's when things get interesting at the Big League level once again IMO.

BTW - that 1st Baseman I mentioned in AA hit 3 homers last night, on track for another 30 homer MiLB season now, and his K-rate's coming down. Mason Martin - look for him in Pittsburgh the 2nd half of 22.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
Why do you take this so personally?
I don’t take the fact that stallings is not a Major League Baseball player yet is our cleanup hitter personally. Why would u?

Why do I let it upset me? That’s a better question. Because I am a pirate fan and I would enjoy watching my team Actuelly have major league talent.

I don’t take the fact that stallings is not a Major League Baseball player yet is our cleanup hitter personally. Why would u?

Why do I let it upset me? That’s a better question. Because I am a pirate fan and I would enjoy watching my team Actuelly have major league talent.
Maybe he can replaced at cleanup by John Nogowski 🤣🤣🤣

Went to game last night, Jacob stallings was batting clean up.

Jacob freaking stallings. It’s a slap in the face that a piece of garbage like him is even on a roster and I have to see him batting clean up.
As much as we hate the family connections, Stallings has been overall good for the Pirates. Really solid, and a good pro. He is like 12th overall in Catchers with WAR. So he is not a "piece of garbage",

He's not a clean up hitter but he is without a doubt a "Major League Baseball player". Don't be stupid.

Reactions: Ski11585
Here are some pointers to anyone wanting to discuss the #1 overall pick despite any sort of anti Nutting or Pirate narratives and some real misguided local media.

1) Kumar Rocker is no longer considered the top player in the draft. In fact in most boards, he is not even Top 5.
2) There is no clear cut favorite. At all.
3) There are 4 candidates at the top, two HS SS's in Lawler and Mayer, the Louisville C Davis, and Vandy P Jack Leiter. No one is really separated from the pack. No one.
4) There is a defined amount allotted for each team dependent on their draft position for their draft choices. So......no more of this drafting Tony Sanchez or Bryan Bullington because of "sign ability".
5) Since there is no real clear cut top prospect, in drafts like this, it makes a lot of sense that if you can save a $1million with this pick, it may allow you to spend more on the next pick or 2, getting better players.
6) Part of this "slotting" procedure actually was caused by the cheap Pirates who gave top 10 money to second round pick Josh Bell and pissed off the big clubs that they didn't think of this first. Seriously.
7) Unless the Pirates go off the board and select someone other than those top 4, the pick cannot or should not be criticized. It is not a Paul Moskoz pick.

There......read these. Study these. Remember these. When the draft happens, before you post something stupid, refer to these. Thank you.

Reactions: Ski11585
He's not a clean up hitter but he is without a doubt a "Major League Baseball player". Don't be stupid.

Yeah, I was going to say, if you don't think that Stallings is a Major League player then you don't know what you are talking about.

He certainly shouldn't be hitting clean up, even for the Pirates. But Stallings isn't the one making up the lineup card. He bats where the manager tells him to.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
1) Kumar Rocker is no longer considered the top player in the draft. In fact in most boards, he is not even Top 5.

That's the thing that is funniest to me. The number of people who still think that the Pirates should pick Rocker because he was at the top of most draft lists a year ago and so he is a name that they have heard of. Unless Rocker would be willing to give the Pirates a significant discount, at this point they shouldn't even be considering him.

Which doesn't mean that Rocker can't become a great player, or heck, even the best player who gets picked in this draft. But he hasn't been at the top of anyone's draft board for a couple months now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT