ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pirates

I don't know why this is so surprising for people. I don't know why this draws scorn and outrage. Frazier would be leaving after next year anyways, he is a good player, but not a difference maker. People say "well Nutting should sign him", but the thing is...even if there was a salary cap, you have to make decisions on who to sign and who to let go. That is why you hope to have a farm system to develop and replenish.

I mean, until MLB has a cap/floor/revenue sharing like the other leagues, this cycle of trying to build up for 3 year run then burn it down like most teams within our market range is modus operandi. The issue with Nutting, the legit complaint IMO, is not the "burning it down" but when you are in that 3 year window, you max your ability to win a title. That is when you spend outside of your comfort zone. That's when you make a trade for an Adam Frazier or god forbid, a Chris Archer in his prime....
Comical listening to some Yinzer railing at the "trade" last night. Hey, we need to sign a couple great free agent pitchers!!!
OMG, people are so uninformed and down right stupid.

Even if Nutting spent like Steinbrenner, you can't just buy a pennant. A team like the Pirates has to be smart and somewhat cunning. Yes, there comes a time when you have to spend some $$, but this ain't it.

They are grabbing as much young talent with both hands as they can right now when the stars align for them to do so.
Hopefully in 3 or 4 years it starts paying off in PIttsburgh. It is the ONLY way for a small market team to be relevant.

For now, we'll have to be content following these diamonds in the rough and hoping they bloom as bonafide ML players.
Time will tell, but signing Adam Frazier, or anyone else in his position right now would do absolutely NOTHING to help the prospects of the PIrates finishing anything but last.

Comical listening to some Yinzer railing at the "trade" last night. Hey, we need to sign a couple great free agent pitchers!!!
OMG, people are so uninformed and down right stupid.

Even if Nutting spent like Steinbrenner, you can't just buy a pennant. A team like the Pirates has to be smart and somewhat cunning. Yes, there comes a time when you have to spend some $$, but this ain't it.

They are grabbing as much young talent with both hands as they can right now when the stars align for them to do so.
Hopefully in 3 or 4 years it starts paying off in PIttsburgh. It is the ONLY way for a small market team to be relevant.

For now, we'll have to be content following these diamonds in the rough and hoping they bloom as bonafide ML players.
Time will tell, but signing Adam Frazier, or anyone else in his position right now would do absolutely NOTHING to help the prospects of the PIrates finishing anything but last.

LMAO.

The biggest return would be to get that salary off the books.

No one is going to take that contract. If the Pirates trade him they are going to have to eat a lot of salary. If they want anything more than a bag of batting practice balls they will have to eat almost all of it.

I don't know why this is so surprising for people. I don't know why this draws scorn and outrage. Frazier would be leaving after next year anyways, he is a good player, but not a difference maker.
Leaving after next year. Next year. There’s a lot of baseball to be played before that. Why so eager to make this trade now and to actually have to pay $1.4 million to do so? After next year. There are 225 games until after next year.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
Leaving after next year. Next year. There’s a lot of baseball to be played before that. Why so eager to make this trade now and to actually have to pay $1.4 million to do so? After next year. There are 225 games until after next year.
Likely because they believed his trade value was peaking. If they knew he wasn’t going to be part of their long-term plans, and planned on dealing him either this season or next, why wait? What’re the chances that he still leads the NL in hits this time next year?

Also, not saying this should have played a factor, but you can’t forget that they got either nothing (Vasquez) or diminished returns (Bell) from two of their previous major trade pieces. Waiting can be a risky game to play.

In other news, it appears Oakland may not be a potential destination for Richard Rodriguez. The A’s just acquired another reliever tonight, Andrew Chafin from the Cubs. Then again, he’s a lefty so who knows…

No one is going to take that contract. If the Pirates trade him they are going to have to eat a lot of salary. If they want anything more than a bag of batting practice balls they will have to eat almost all of it.
Then I guess it is better to ride along with him and see if he can resurrect some of his skill and at least start hitting so he might have value as a DH. They're going to be paying him anyway, if he shows signs of life, maybe someone desperate in a pennant race would take a flier on him.

They may save SOME money if they get rid of him. A big gamble that busted. Signing the guy early on potential works sometimes, but sometimes not.

Because his value will not be higher than it is now. You do understand, winning today, even next year is not really the goal.

Because his value will not be higher than it is now. You do understand, winning today, even next year is not really the goal.
Not the goal, nor even POSSIBLE!
Nothing can put enough lipstick on this current pig to make it win.
They now have 2 bonafide ML players in their starting lineup. Think about that for a minute........................

No real #1,2, or 3 Starter in their rotation.

Other than Hayes and Reynolds, the lineup looks like the Island of Misfit Toys!

It's hard to believe there are two teams worse than they are!

Reactions: WannyandWalt

Any general manager who thinks like that wouldn't be a general manager long.

Assuming that he or she was somehow able to fool someone into giving them the job in the first place.

Not the goal, nor even POSSIBLE!
Nothing can put enough lipstick on this current pig to make it win.
They now have 2 bonafide ML players in their starting lineup. Think about that for a minute........................

No real #1,2, or 3 Starter in their rotation.

Other than Hayes and Reynolds, the lineup looks like the Island of Misfit Toys!

It's hard to believe there are two teams worse than they are!
Hard to believe, but I think Kevin Stallings has accounted for himself to be a decent major leaguer His stats put him right in the middle of catchers. But yeah....after that? No one. No 1,2,3 or likely even a 4 starter in the rotation.

Top four draft picks have all signed.
I was even more surprised they got the 14th round pick Bishop signed, who was also a top 100 prospect but dropped in the draft I think primarily because he was a longshot to sign.

they’ve now signed all 5 of the guys they drafted that were ranked in the top 100. But they pretty much used their entire draft pool to do it. I would expect that was the plan.

I was even more surprised they got the 14th round pick Bishop signed, who was also a top 100 prospect but dropped in the draft I think primarily because he was a longshot to sign.

they’ve now signed all 5 of the guys they drafted that were ranked in the top 100. But they pretty much used their entire draft pool to do it. I would expect that was the plan.
One thought I forgot to add. I guess using all the draft pool $ means they won’t be signing the 5th guy they picked, who was also well thought of. Owen Kellington or whatever his last name is. Unless they already signed him and I didn’t see it.

One thought I forgot to add. I guess using all the draft pool $ means they won’t be signing the 5th guy they picked, who was also well thought of. Owen Kellington or whatever his last name is. Unless they already signed him and I didn’t see it.

They have not signed him yet. They would actually be able to sign him to a deal for close to his slot number if the numbers that I have seen are correct. I don't know if that will be enough or not. I suspect not.

They still have 600k available for Kellington. If he signs under slot, gives them a shot at signing the last nice upside guy - Corona.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
BTW, the Pirates did sign Kellington.

The other big draft news is that the Mets do not like the medical reports they got on Kumar Rocker's arm and are most likely not going to sign him.
Yeah, looks like they ended up signing 19 of the 21 picks. Not bad. All done as far as the draft pick signings since they used up all of their draft pool + the allowable overage + some luxury tax because of the overage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT