ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pittsburgh Maulers

I went to all 9 Maulers home games. Best memory is getting to see Sam Clancy play football. After that, pffft. The weather (March to July) ranged from bone-chilling cold to sweltering hot. I can't recall a fall football season where I sat through every form of precipitation -- snow, sleet, drizzle, driving rain, thunderstorm, hail. The Maulers games were fun, though. The team didn't have much talent and suffered through a handful of hard-luck losses that might have turned 3-15 into something more like 6-10 or 7-9 with a few lucky breaks. The Steelers hated sharing 3RS with the maulers but they didn't have much choice as it was a public facility.... USFL as a whole had plenty of star power on offense and in spots on defense, but few teams had a good defensive backfield, and it showed.... When Tampa's owner died, the USFL lost a voice of reason. I think Trump wasn't the only owner who dreamed of forcing his way into the NFL. But he pushed for the move to fall football up against The Shield, which turned out to be a disaster.
I only went to one game, The Maulers beat the Oakland Invaders 28-14, on my 25th birthday, it was a really good time, I used to have a t shirt that I bought that day.

Reactions: pierre93
th
That is a great logo.

It is a good logo and there was some cool mauler merchandise. Ugh to make purple, orange and grey look good but they did.

My dad worked for the DeBartolo Corp. in Boardman and I remember seven, eight years after the league folded he was bringing home Mauler merchandise like pennants, golf tees, then my favorite: a Maulers zippo lighter. I loved lightening people’s cigarettes with it at Ohio State.

My dad worked for the DeBartolo Corp. in Boardman and I remember seven, eight years after the league folded he was bringing home Mauler merchandise like pennants, golf tees, then my favorite: a Maulers zippo lighter. I loved lightening people’s cigarettes with it at Ohio State.
I personally know a guy that was connected to the Maulers and is from Warren, OH and a YSU grad. He would probably know your father then. Also he's close friends with Duzz. He has alot of Maulers items.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
There are many USFL games on youtube. Nothing like watching an old Maulers game. I have many of the original broadcasts when I was really into game trading.

They had a national tv contract with ABC with games also on ESPN plus they were getting top talent out of college. They were on the right path.

IMHO they just tried to get to big to quick. It's a shame. I really liked it as a kid and still do as an adult. I even have the card sets.

There are many USFL games on youtube. Nothing like watching an old Maulers game. I have many of the original broadcasts when I was really into game trading.

They had a national tv contract with ABC with games also on ESPN plus they were getting top talent out of college. They were on the right path.

IMHO they just tried to get to big to quick. It's a shame. I really liked it as a kid and still do as an adult. I even have the card sets.
Card sets? Nice!!!!!

They did and still love the logo, etc.
I bought a Maulers t-shirt off the guy that runs the Super 70s Twitter. It was a pretty weak quality, but I still Enjoy repping the Maulers. I was out an about before the CoronaVirus shutdown and saw a guy in a Houston Gamblers T. Said he bought it from that same site.

I bought a Maulers t-shirt off the guy that runs the Super 70s Twitter. It was a pretty weak quality, but I still Enjoy repping the Maulers. I was out an about before the CoronaVirus shutdown and saw a guy in a Houston Gamblers T. Said he bought it from that same site.
I actually came across Maulers tshirts(Grey) at the Washington county, PA fair about 6 years ago. They were selling them for $5 a piece and bought 4 also pretty good quality. Go figure......

If yo look through it, there's a lot of Pittsburgh related stuff

Gladiators - Arena Football
Spirit - Indoor Soccer
Hornets - pre-Pens hockey
Condors - ABA basketball

If any of you guys remember there was a little sports kiosk in Century 3 mall up in top level that had a decent amount of Maulers merchandise as late as the mid 2000s. He had an authentic Maulers helmet that I wanted, but at the time I didn't want to spend $300 for it.

If any of you guys remember there was a little sports kiosk in Century 3 mall up in top level that had a decent amount of Maulers merchandise as late as the mid 2000s. He had an authentic Maulers helmet that I wanted, but at the time I didn't want to spend $300 for it.
Now that authentic helmet probably is about $1000

Spirit - Indoor Soccer
Condors - ABA basketball
Yeah I attended the Pittsburgh Gladiators Arena Bowl against the Denver Dynamite in the summer of 87 when in HS. Mike Stoops was the fullback for the Gladiators as well Brendan Fulmer from Cal U at QB.

Yeah I attended the Pittsburgh Gladiators Arena Bowl against the Denver Dynamite in the summer of 87 when in HS. Mike Stoops was the fullback for the Gladiators as well Brendan Fulmer from Cal U at QB.
I went to one Gladiators game, they lost to Denver 47-45, I think it was 1989.
Back in the late 70s, I also went to a Spirit soccer game at the Civic Arena, with some friends, 2 of which where college soccer players, the Spirit beat the LA Lazers, I think it was 11-10 in OT, it was a pretty exciting game. Sorry, I don't go back to the Condors or Hornets :)

Pitt79 said:

Spirit - Indoor Soccer
Condors - ABA basketball

[/quote]
Ha! I was there too. It was really fun. In my early yute (thanks Cousin Vinny) and thanks to uncle PAT — went to a lot of Gladiator and Spirit games. Loved it.

Over expansion, letting people who didn't have money purchase teams and following an idiotic owner who wanted to move the league to the fall is what doomed the USFL.
There were certain "minor league" aspects to the USFL that you would never see nowadays. When the Maulers launched, and perhaps halfway into their season, you were hard pressed to find Maulers gear in stores. I think most of my stuff came from game promotions or I bought it at Three Rivers. Today there'd be a big buildup and marketing rollout months in advance.

There were certain "minor league" aspects to the USFL that you would never see nowadays. When the Maulers launched, and perhaps halfway into their season, you were hard pressed to find Maulers gear in stores. I think most of my stuff came from game promotions or I bought it at Three Rivers. Today there'd be a big buildup and marketing rollout months in advance.
Agree, I say bring back the Maulers!!! I spoke to someone that wanted to have a Mauler reunion, that IMO would be popular even though they were in existence for only 1 year.

Thank you for sharing, have any items? I have a pennant and seat cushion lol
I have the Rambling Root Beer painters cap. a golf umbrella, mesh back ball cap. a couple of pennants -- including WEEP for Stoudt -- and, I think, my media guide. And a retro logo T-shirt from Yinzers, but that doesn't count.

Pendry's call for a pitch at the goal line? Stoudt getting pelted with snowballs?
Joe Pendry had a meeting with Debartolo after an abysmal start to the 84 season. Eddie wasn't going to fire him. But after Pendry got into a heated argument with him he got axed lol. I was told this by a really good source who worked for the Maulers.

Why was Stoudt so disliked?
He was viewed as the enemy since he was an ex Stiller that went to play for another city(Birmingham). Also Stoudt was from Ohio too. That's just my take

Last edited:
Very true

Why was Stoudt so disliked?
Yeah? I never got that? He replaced Bradshaw, and wasn't that great, but... he replaced Bradshaw. So what did people expect? didn't hate him. He was probably better than Mark Malone. The one season he started, they went 10-6 and made the playoffs, I think he rushed for 500 yards too. I don't remember for me, any reason to hate him? But lots of people hated Bradshaw too. But me, I never did, Bradshaw could hate Noll and the Rooneys, that don't matter to me. I'm not really sure why Stoudt was disliked.

He was viewed as the enemy since he was an ex Stiller that went to play for another city(Birmingham). Also Stoudt was from Ohio too. That's just my take
Cliff Stoudt was beloved as The Steeler Backup Who Never Played. I believe he qualified for an NFL pension without ever taking a meaningful snap. In 1983 he started 16 games (9-2 start, 0-4 finish) and the fan base turned on him. When he signed with USFL Birmingham -- the ultimate crime of leaving dem dere Stillerz -- he burned his bridge.

Joe Pendry had a meeting with Debartolo after an abysmal start to the 84 season. Eddie wasn't going to fire him. But after Pendry got into a heated argument with him he got axed lol. I was told this by a really good source who worked for the Maulers.
That's about right. I forget the details but Pendry defied his boss and was gone. Ellis Rainsberger finished the season. Hank Bullough was hired before the season ended but was slated to take over after the final game. DeBartolo folded the franchise after the 3-15 campaign.

As a kid I always thought it was funny when he would throw jock straps at his teammates being interviewed on the post game shows.

The giveaway seat cushion was sponsored by a realtor company (Vanguard) at that time out of Youngstown, OH lol

Ha! I was there too. It was really fun. In my early yute (thanks Cousin Vinny) and thanks to uncle PAT — went to a lot of Gladiator and Spirit games. Loved it.[/QUOTE]
Was that when, during God Bless America, that they opened the roof about an 1/8 of the way. They had all the lights off and as it opened and the late afternoon summer sun came thru the opening like a lazer. The opposite side of the arena was just blinded by the sun.
That's about all I can remember about the game.

ADVERTISEMENT