ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pittsburgh Maulers

You guys talking about the Maulers reminded me of another championship Pittsburgh team of that era...the Pittsburgh Triangles co-ed tennis team. They had Evonne Goolagong and Vitas Gerulitis. It was fun watching them go up against Billie Jean King, Bobby Riggs, etc. They won the championship one year and made the semi-finals the other two years they were in existence. It was an intriguing set up men's and women's singles and doubles and a mixed doubles constituted the match.

Of course, I have a special place in my heart for that team. I took my wife of 42 years now to a Triangles match for our very first date. I remember that the tickets were super cheap and a poor college student could afford them.

You guys talking about the Maulers reminded me of another championship Pittsburgh team of that era...the Pittsburgh Triangles co-ed tennis team. They had Evonne Goolagong and Vitas Gerulitis. It was fun watching them go up against Billie Jean King, Bobby Riggs, etc. They won the championship one year and made the semi-finals the other two years they were in existence. It was an intriguing set up men's and women's singles and doubles and a mixed doubles constituted the match.

Of course, I have a special place in my heart for that team. I took my wife of 42 years now to a Triangles match for our very first date. I remember that the tickets were super cheap and a poor college student could afford them.

While we are reminiscing, let's not forget the Pipers. Fun season capped by a championship and led by the great, great Connie Hawkins.

While we are reminiscing, let's not forget the Pipers. Fun season capped by a championship and led by the great, great Connie Hawkins.
Pipers where when? 1967? I was 8, I loved basketball and knew they existed. But all I remember is other than newspaper articles and maybe highlights on the local news, that team was never on TV, all the way through the Condors, which I know lasted into the mid 70s. I don't think they ever had a televised game?

Pipers where when? 1967? I was 8, I loved basketball and knew they existed. But all I remember is other than newspaper articles and maybe highlights on the local news, that team was never on TV, all the way through the Condors, which I know lasted into the mid 70s. I don't think they ever had a televised game?

There wasn't enough interest for local televising of games, though had Gabe Rubin not pulled up stakes after that championship season, I'm sure interest would have built to that point.

There wasn't enough interest for local televising of games, though had Gabe Rubin not pulled up stakes after that championship season, I'm sure interest would have built to that point.
Radio was your friend back then. Rubin moving his team was a BIG mistake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT