ADVERTISEMENT

OT: play action (Russ)

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Good breakdown here of Russ and Arthur smith running play action. I’ve been hitting this issue hard since Canada refused to run it when that was Kenny’s strong suit. Some guys just do it better and it’s what Russ is particularly good at and Fields not so much. It’s why I kept telling you guys to pump the brakes when y’all assumed Russ was going to get murdered and be ineffective behind this OL. In any event, really good stuff here.

Makes a big difference with a QB under center , and able to throw with touch.
Plus it sprung Najee for the second half again- who is entering “pay the man” territory .

It seems to me coaching a guy to fake a hand off should be pretty easy. It shouldn’t be a hard skill to learn yet not every Qb is as good at it as some even though it really helps slow down the defense

Reactions: zookeeper2000
It seems to me coaching a guy to fake a hand off should be pretty easy. It shouldn’t be a hard skill to learn yet not every Qb is as good at it as some even though it really helps slow down the defense
There is an art to it that takes awhile to master it. I've seen junior high QB's with better play fakes then NFL QB's because it's integral to junior high offense.

It's a shame PAP from under center isn't utilized more. It's a completely different animal to defend compared to gun PAP.

Reactions: pittbb80
Doesn’t work as well with Fields because of his struggle with taking snaps under center .
Plus his legs are the primary threat - so defenses aren’t going to load the box .
They just rotate a safety over the top to give help on Pickens .

There is an art to it that takes awhile to master it. I've seen junior high QB's with better play fakes then NFL QB's because it's integral to junior high offense.

It's a shame PAP from under center isn't utilized more. It's a completely different animal to defend compared to gun PAP.
There are stories about Peyton Manning studying practice film of himself doing it. Not game film, but practice film. Lol. Dude was so meticulous and studied himself constantly. If you’re not doing it right in practice then you’re not doing it in games. Obviously we know this, but he made sure it was habit and second nature to make every fake of his look exactly the same as every actual handoff…while others run play action just to run it.

It’s how Pickens should start running his routes when he’s not the primary receiver.

Reactions: pittbb80

Doesn't it involve a shorter time period to be able to survey the field? That's how I've always understood it. You're taking your eyes off the field, often turning your back completely to it, as opposed to continually being able to assess the route development. So the fake handoff is part of it, but it's also a much different perspective from, say, the shotgun.

Doesn't it involve a shorter time period to be able to survey the field? That's how I've always understood it. You're taking your eyes off the field, often turning your back completely to it, as opposed to continually being able to assess the route development. So the fake handoff is part of it, but it's also a much different perspective from, say, the shotgun.
Probably a good point

You often are limiting yourself to one side of the field in play action, especially if you roll out. Big Ben hated it.

Have to give big props to Arthur Smith for this week. Russ is not his ideal QB- he wants a guy who will rifle it over the middle of the field to the tight ends. That's not Russ, at all. But he called a game around his strengths. Russ is a very good play action passer and good in the short and deep parts of the field. So Smith called plays that offered a deep shot and a dump off.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Have to give big props to Arthur Smith for this week. Russ is not his ideal QB- he wants a guy who will rifle it over the middle of the field to the tight ends. That's not Russ, at all. But he called a game around his strengths. Russ is a very good play action passer and good in the short and deep parts of the field. So Smith called plays that offered a deep shot and a dump off.
Did Tannehill use the middle of the field? I legit don’t know the answer to that. And Najee isn’t Derrick Henry, but Tannehill was pretty darn good under Smith.

You're probably right, because I haven't followed Smith closely, but I thought a big part of what they did in Tennessee was either handing it off to Henry or using play action to Henry to create 1 on 1 matchups for AJ Brown, which often involved lobbing it up to him similarly to what we were doing with Pickens the other night.

Good breakdown here of Russ and Arthur smith running play action. I’ve been hitting this issue hard since Canada refused to run it when that was Kenny’s strong suit. Some guys just do it better and it’s what Russ is particularly good at and Fields not so much. It’s why I kept telling you guys to pump the brakes when y’all assumed Russ was going to get murdered and be ineffective behind this OL. In any event, really good stuff here.

I'll reserve the right to call Wilson a bust when he isn't playing a team that is used to rolling over. He wasn't good for a good portion of that game.

That said, play action is the sort of thing that gives your O-line a chance. Especially on early down passing plays. Takes much longer to get a clear read. You just can't be as predictable as Canada was in the NFL. Everyone is just too good and you're not going to bully anyone.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Play action may reduce the field if the QB bootlegs, but from a straight drop not really. The biggest drawback is the QB turning his back, taking his eyes off the defense, then having to turn and read. But it has to be setup and executed effectively. It is sort of like an offspeed pitch, where throwing slower would seem to be a disadvantage to the pitcher. But if he can use his fastball to set it up from same arm angle, delivery, etc he can take advantage of the hitters aggressiveness.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT