ADVERTISEMENT

OT Pro Bowl

This will be the first I watch in 20 years or so since I feel they MIGHT actually compete. Its too big of an ask to get them to tackle and hit each other. Too much money on the line.

An idea I had for the Pro Bowl is an NFL All-Star team (most would turn this down so would be mostly younger players) vs a College All-Star team. The college guys would be playing for draft position. The visuals of a Pitt helmet tackling a Steeler helmet, something like that, would be awesome
How about two teams of practice squad players, AFC vs. NFC, and then allow teams to extend offers to any that they might like? Give winners $20K, losers $10K -those amounts aren't trivial to PS guys, it would be a full speed game.

How about two teams of practice squad players, AFC vs. NFC, and then allow teams to extend offers to any that they might like? Give winners $20K, losers $10K -those amounts aren't trivial to PS guys, it would be a full speed game.
How about not using a any NFL guys and make two teams of college players that are eligible for the NFL draft. Yes, I know that there are games that do this already but this could be the "official" version that could be part of the NFL draft process. Kind of like the NFL combine but the players are evaluated in real game situations. Pay the players and insure them against a career ending injury.

How about not using a any NFL guys and make two teams of college players that are eligible for the NFL draft. Yes, I know that there are games that do this already but this could be the "official" version that could be part of the NFL draft process. Kind of like the NFL combine but the players are evaluated in real game situations. Pay the players and insure them against a career ending injury.
Yes, but if they are projected as high draft picks, they won't want to play a serious game full speed. Whereas if you get guys barely hanging on with nothing to lose, they'll go all out to show off, even at the risk of injury.

I like that idea as some type of "Rookie" game like they have in the NBA and NHL

Yes, but if they are projected as high draft picks, they won't want to play a serious game full speed. Whereas if you get guys barely hanging on with nothing to lose, they'll go all out to show off, even at the risk of injury.
If they don't want to play then that issue would be up to the NFL to decide how to handle it. Frankly, the NFL should make it part of the draft process and if a player chooses to not play then they deal with the repercussions of not playing in the game.

If they don't want to play then that issue would be up to the NFL to decide how to handle it. Frankly, the NFL should make it part of the draft process and if a player chooses to not play then they deal with the repercussions of not playing in the game.
Repercussions? The teams will still want to draft the top players and won't care if they skip a stupid all star game. The teams won't want this, they won't want these top prospects to risk injury in a truly meaningless game, more meaningless than even the Cheezit Bowl :)

i think the NFL is getting this right. The only thing interesting about the NHL and NBA all-star games are the skills competitions. Much better than the games themselves. Even baseball is getting that way too. I'd like to see the NFL do something like the old ABC Sports Superstars series. And while I'm on the subject, they need to bring back Battle of the Network stars.
Battle of the Network stars with Lynda Carter, back in the day...

Repercussions? The teams will still want to draft the top players and won't care if they skip a stupid all star game. The teams won't want this, they won't want these top prospects to risk injury in a truly meaningless game, more meaningless than even the Cheezit Bowl :)
Why would the NFL teams care if the players play or not? They are not their "property" until they become drafted by them. Do NFL teams stop players from playing in a "truly meaningless game" like the East - West Shrine Bowl? I think not.
The repercussions??? Yes, the repercussions. Just as some players don't participate in the NFL Combine or skip certain other events that could enhance their being drafted (like a school's Pro Day) and potentially hurt their ability to get drafted, the repercussions from not participating could be huge.
That would be up to each player and each individual NFL team to decide if a lack of participation has an effect on a players draft status.

Why would the NFL teams care if the players play or not? They are not their "property" until they become drafted by them. Do NFL teams stop players from playing in a "truly meaningless game" like the East - West Shrine Bowl? I think not.
The repercussions??? Yes, the repercussions. Just as some players don't participate in the NFL Combine or skip certain other events that could enhance their being drafted (like a school's Pro Day) and potentially hurt their ability to get drafted, the repercussions from not participating could be huge.
That would be up to each player and each individual NFL team to decide if a lack of participation has an effect on a players draft status.
We can agree to disagree on that one.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
ADVERTISEMENT