ADVERTISEMENT

OT - psu poor basketball attendance

Probably a little too early for this yet. Pretty sure their attendance is a lot higher than Pitt’s so far this year.
I’ll watch to see how the Pete looks tonight but I’m gonna guess based on LVille game a few days ago you’re wrong

I’ll watch to see how the Pete looks tonight but I’m gonna guess based on LVille game a few days ago you’re wrong

Heading into tonight Pitt was averaging 5,189 a game and PSU 8,720 per game. Now we all know how these schools use some creative accounting in figuring their attendance, but the margin is pretty clear.

This should change over the course of the season as Pitt improves and PSU keeps sliding away, I’d expect their attendance to start decreasing soon.

As for Pitt it’s going to take some time, it’s so much easier to lose your fanbase than win them back, but so far they’re on the right track.

Reactions: 21Guns.
They are curtailing off the upper section of the arena for their games. I watched about 5 minutes of their game with MSU on TV, and the announcers mentioned the lousy atmosphere at the game twice.

Reactions: Pittnerski
We are probably the last people that should make fun of this. They suck. When we sucked the last 2 years, we had far fewer fans at the Pete. Hell, even against the #11 team and the excitement around this current team we only had 6,500. The zoo brought the excitement.

And this is the typical 20 minutes before kickoff shots we get at Heinz to have our rivals make fun of us.

Heading into tonight Pitt was averaging 5,189 a game and PSU 8,720 per game. Now we all know how these schools use some creative accounting in figuring their attendance, but the margin is pretty clear.

This should change over the course of the season as Pitt improves and PSU keeps sliding away, I’d expect their attendance to start decreasing soon.

As for Pitt it’s going to take some time, it’s so much easier to lose your fanbase than win them back, but so far they’re on the right track.

Yeah, and again, the per student attendance at Pitt is greater. Even if you just take main campuses, Pitt is 19,000 and PSU is 50,000. that is 250% larger. They should get 2.5 times more students, they dont. Cant really say Pitt students dont support.

Honestly this thread is embarrassing........It enforces the little brother syndrome.......

There are lots of good to great things going on around pitt sports and a thread about a completely irrelevant hoops teams attendance pops up

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Yeah, and again, the per student attendance at Pitt is greater. Even if you just take main campuses, Pitt is 19,000 and PSU is 50,000. that is 250% larger. They should get 2.5 times more students, they dont. Cant really say Pitt students dont support.
Who cares, PSU HAS BETTER ATTENDANCE! 8720>5189! LOL! Why are you so obsessed with Penn State? It's a joke.

Do we play them in the coming years? I wouldn't mind seeing our current guys playing them in a year or two, they will probably kick their butts. But until then I won't pay attention to PSU hoops.

Why don't you change your cartoon too Stache! You think more about Penn State and JoePa than about Pitt, it's ridiculous.

Bet Penn State gets more for wrestling than basketball. Basketball just not big at PSU.
Trust me when I tell you that the majority of PSU football fans actually like another school in basketball, including about a dozen people I know who are Pitt basketball fans. Duke and Villanova also are popular among PSU fans.

PSU basketball attendance is irrelevant. I was at the Pitt-FSU game the other night, and the attendance from the general paying public was pathetic. They didn't show up. We need to shut up until we start showing up for or own games first.

Reactions: Ski11585

Both teams should be embarrassed with their attendance. Pitt at least has a shot to fill their place again, Penn St will probably never draw real crowds.

Reactions: passedout
Pitt's lack of attendance is a direct result of 0-19 and the Stallings Era in general, non-season ticket holders need to be excited to show up more often.

Pitt fans have no reason to gloat. When Pitt suffered the last 2 years the season ticket holders and the zoo attendance was dreadful. In fact I attended all the ACC home games the last 2 years. Attendance stunk to the point we could make out individual chants emanating fro the zoo. We even began referring to one young lady as " the zoo girl" with her distinct shrill call. No don't disrespect PSU for an issue where we failed miserably.

We are probably the last people that should make fun of this. They suck. When we sucked the last 2 years, we had far fewer fans at the Pete. Hell, even against the #11 team and the excitement around this current team we only had 6,500. The zoo brought the excitement.

And this is the typical 20 minutes before kickoff shots we get at Heinz to have our rivals make fun of us.
Just some good natured heckling I'm sure, giving them back what they try to give to us.

What is sad is, we had them in basketball! We where above them in basketball as much as they are above us in football, we where the perennial top 10 basketball team that was almost guaranteed to destroy them every meeting, and we let that slip away.

The next Penn State fan I meet who cares about their men's basketball team will be the first.

Honestly, this is true.
Except for wtae psu alum sportscaster Guy Junker, who continues to show tv psu bb highlghts every sun morning.

When we show up for games, then we can talk about attendance for other teams. Right now, we aren't showing up. 6,000 fans for the FSU game is pathetic, especially for a team that is playing this hard and getting results. I'd bet that 90% of the posters on this board who are capable of attending games at The Pete, just don't bother to go. Lots of talk, nothing to back it up. When you look around at the high roller seats, they're half empty. Show up or shut up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT