ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Radical changes coming to MLB

What about Prmantis on the upper right chest of the Pirates uniforms and then perhaps a patch that salutes western Pennsylvania fracking on the left side.

The purists who are gonna cry about this are dumb. The DH is at every other level of baseball. Do I really wanna watch Jameson Taillon bunt a runner over?

I’m tired of watching people like Pablo Reyes get out in for a double switch and have to watch him flail away trying to hit.

Why do people give a crap if there are sponsorships on the jersey? Works well for the NBA and nobody cares!

The owners are being scumbags in this whole ordeal. Manfred and Co. make Godell seem reasonable.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
I can think of about 10 changes they should make and it doesnt include using a DH in the national league.
Whoever is running the show in MLB has no clue .

How I think this affects the Pirates:

1) DH rule will hurt us. It's just one more high-priced star big market teams can add. Instead of a $2M/year reliever or utility guy, teams like the the Dodgers will go out and get a $20M/year slugger.

2) 16 teams in the playoffs can only make things more interesting for the small market teams. I mean, you kind of get tired of being reasonably eliminated from the race by the start of NFL training camp every year.

3) I wonder if companies will pay to put competitors ads on the Pirates' jerseys. "The Pirates are wearing Eat N' Park patches today? Kids, we're eating at Denny's from now on!"

How I personally feel about it:

1) I'm ok with the DH. I don't need to watch AJ Burnett intentionally strike out by swinging at three pitches after they're in the catchers mitt or watch someone take two strikes because, heaven forbid, a pitcher hit a ground ball that required a light jog to first base. And I don't need a two minute stoppage so someone can run a jacket out to second base in 65-degree weather. Frankly, I'm tired of watching pitchers attempt to play offense. 90% of them were probably the best hitters on the high school team, but they get to the majors and act like they don't know which side of the bat to grip. Just let them stick to pitching. I don't need to see any more of the baseball equivalent of Shaq free throws.

2) Whatever. I guess it will makes things more interesting with more teams having a chance. I hope they knock some games off the season to offset this, but I won't hold my breath. The fact that there is often snow on the ground both at the beginning and the end of the season is nothing short of ridiculous.

3) Ads on uniforms are always lame.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
None of those three changes are actually radical.

The DH would have been radical 40 years ago. Today it's inevitable. It was inevitable before the virus, the virus is just making it happen a little sooner.

Expanded playoffs for a season or two is an easy way for them to make some extra money. The NHL expanded their playoffs. The NBA expanded their playoffs. The NFL expanded their playoffs. MLB isn't doing anything different than anyone else is doing.

And there are sports leagues all over the world with commercial logos on their uniforms. The notion that doing something that probably a majority of the professional leagues in the world do is radical is silly. And not only that, but MLB has allowed corporate logos on their jerseys for a long time. Unless you think that that $1 billion, yeah, with a "B", billion, contract that Nike has with MLB is an example of charity rather than a business transaction so that they could put their logo on the front of every MLB jersey.

None of those three changes are actually radical.

The DH would have been radical 40 years ago. Today it's inevitable. It was inevitable before the virus, the virus is just making it happen a little sooner.

Expanded playoffs for a season or two is an easy way for them to make some extra money. The NHL expanded their playoffs. The NBA expanded their playoffs. The NFL expanded their playoffs. MLB isn't doing anything different than anyone else is doing.

And there are sports leagues all over the world with commercial logos on them. The notion that doing something that probably a majority of the professional leagues in the world do is radical is silly. And not only that, but MLB has allowed corporate logos on their jerseys for a long time. Unless you think that that $1 billion, yeah, with a "B", billion, contract that Nike has with MLB is an example of charity rather than a business transaction so that they could put their logo on the front of every MLB jersey.

But he forgot to mention that the base paths are now clockwise.

I don’t favor the DH because I think the National League is a more interesting game than the American League. I know all the arguments about the pitchers hitting for themselves and how that makes the game worse, but I simply disagree.

However, it’s not in my top 10 list of grievances about Major League Baseball. That said, I think it’s a really bad argument to say they do it at every other level of baseball, so they should do it in the National League too.

They also use aluminum bats at every other level of baseball. Is that a good argument for adding aluminum bats to MLB games? At most levels of baseball they have courtesy runners. Should we add them too?

As I said, of all of the things I dislike about MLB, the DH in the American League is not high on that list. Were you to promise me a salary cap and a salary floor, they could do anything else they wanted to and I’d be fine with it.

I don’t favor the DH because I think the National League is a more interesting game than the American League. I know all the arguments about the pitchers hitting for themselves and how that makes the game worse, but I simply disagree.

However, it’s not in my top 10 list of grievances about Major League Baseball. That said, I think it’s a really bad argument to say they do it at every other level of baseball, so they should do it in the National League too.

They also use aluminum bats at every other level of baseball. Is that a good argument for adding aluminum bats to MLB games? At most levels of baseball they have courtesy runners. Should we add them too?

As I said, of all of the things I dislike about MLB, the DH in the American League is not high on that list. Were you to promise me a salary cap and a salary floor, they could do anything else they wanted to and I’d be fine with it.

Not having a DH made more sense when pitchers could bunt and teams played small ball. Juiced ball made that strategy worthless. DH gives aging, overweight bombers a job. Probably be expanding rosters next.

I'm not a baseball guy but aren't DH's expensive? Nutting won't pay for one or will Bell move there?

I can think of about 10 changes they should make and it doesnt include using a DH in the national league.
Whoever is running the show in MLB has no clue .

Like taking away the balk? Always hated that. I can see not being able to start pitching and then stop. But some of the intricacies of that rule are awful.

Not having a DH made more sense when pitchers could bunt and teams played small ball. Juiced ball made that strategy worthless. DH gives aging, overweight bombers a job. Probably be expanding rosters next.

The other thing is that back in the day pitchers at the major league level spent their whole baseball lives, including all the way up through the minors, having to bat. Which meant that those guys took batting practice regularly, and when they did they took it at least somewhat seriously (or at least most of them did). Part of the reason that pitchers are getting worse and worse as hitters is because in the low minors pitchers don't bat at all, and in the high minors (AA and AAA) they only bat when a National League affiliate plays another National League affiliate. Which means that even then they rarely bat in a game. The upshot of that is that pitchers don't regularly take batting practice, and when they do it isn't a big deal because it's a skill they are only rarely going to use. And it won't have anything at all to do with whether or not they advance in an organization.

Just to use Indianapolis as an example, since they are the Pirates AAA team, last season the pitcher with the most at bats all season long was a dude named Eduardo Vera. He started 22 games for them, and batted a total of 14 times all season. The only other pitcher who batted more than 8 times was Mitch Keller, who batted 11 times. All season long, all of Indianapolis' pitchers batted a total of 76 times.

By way of comparison, Joe Musgrove led Pirates' pitchers last season with 51 at bats (on 61 plate appearances). Guys in the minors simply are not being asked to hit all that often, in some cases not all all, for years and years. And then they get to the majors and it's no wonder that most of them can't hit at all any more.

Reactions: pittdan77
Is this even a fact that they are going with a DH in the NL ?

I hate baseball anymore anyways .

Pittsburgh has a hillbilly penny pinching owner from WV as an owner ?
Sickening.

Last edited:
I'm not a baseball guy but aren't DH's expensive? Nutting won't pay for one or will Bell move there?

For the teams that are serious about winning they are. For the Pirates, it will just be more like letting Adam Frazier DH so Kevin Kramer can have the start at 2nd. And that's not even exaggerating or trying to be funny at all... that is exactly how it would be handled.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
Is this even a fact that they are going with a DH in the NL ?

Yeah, at this point it's pretty much a given. Both the owners and the players most recent proposals include the DH in the National League for this season and next. The current CBA ends after the 2021 season, so it would theoretically get renegotiated then. But once it changes, it is not changing back.

It was almost certain that this was going to happen in the next labor deal anyway. All this is doing is moving the timing up.

I am over baseball after everything that has went on between players and owners this year. I will be really sad if there is no college football though :(
Go figure, the one year where everything is coming together for Pitt, the seasons gets canceled.

But as for baseball, I do hope something good can come out this for its long-term future. These gimmicks certainly won’t do it, but a salary cap + floor and reformed minor league system would be nice.

Reactions: Black Panther
And
It’s almost like they’re tying to lose fans at this point.
Why do they have to change the extra innings rules? Play til someone wins.

If the proposed MLB/MLBPA agreement gets done, a few changes that will immediately take effect and most likely be in the next CBA in 2022.

Universal DH

16-team playoffs

Advertisements on jerseys

They’re bastardizing this sport to the point of no return.
Why do they need to put ads on jerseys? Sounds like too many people in high places have had too much time on their hands during this pandemic.

I think its time to crap can the 2020 season and not come back until there is a salary cap and floor in place.And at this point I don't care how long it takes.Those are the most important things for the future of baseball.Not dh's or stupid extra inning rules, or ads on jerseys.

Why do they need to put ads on jerseys?

To make money. Why do they need to put ads up in the stadiums? To make money. Why do they have commercials on the television and radio broadcasts? To make money. Why do major league uniforms have Nike logos on the front of them? To make money.

You understand that baseball is a business, right?

To make money. Why do they need to put ads up in the stadiums? To make money. Why do they have commercials on the television and radio broadcasts? To make money. Why do major league uniforms have Nike logos on the front of them? To make money.

You understand that baseball is a business, right?
Unfortunately I do.some teams need to start spending some of that money.

Reactions: TFBaum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT