ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Rob King gets Steelers radio play by play broadcast job .......

well deserved. on a side note, does anyone actually listen to a steeler game on the radio? I guess if you are stuck in a car on a long drive on a sunday i guess.

well deserved. on a side note, does anyone actually listen to a steeler game on the radio? I guess if you are stuck in a car on a long drive on a sunday i guess.
Used to be great turning down the TV sound and listening to Myron, but today they delay the radio or TV so they don't match up, and besides, there are no Myron's today, all the announcers are slick, cookie cutter "professionals" there are no fun personalities, no crazy characters with goofy catch phrases like Myron. Mike Lange, Bob Prince worth listening to, they all sound "professional" with serious analysis, that's why they all suck :).

Yes, but I wonder if those days are now gone, that is would someone be as fanatical as to do both jobs in this day and age.
i do admit i still often times listen to pirates games on radio. i'll be out driveway drinking with neighbors and have the game on. but that's baseball, pretty much a game every day for 6 months. NFL football, sundays in the fall im inside watching it on vt..

Reactions: Parkview57
on a side note, does anyone actually listen to a steeler game on the radio? I guess if you are stuck in a car on a long drive on a sunday i guess.

A couple times last year I found myself in the car while a game was on so I listened to it then.

For as bad as Hillgrove got at the job over the years, he was still light years better than Craig Wolfley. 79's notion that he in any way, shape or form could be described as "slick" or a "professional" is hilarious. If he were doing a high school game and you didn't know who he was you'd probably wonder if the guy who was supposed to do the color commentary got sick so they had to pull some random parent out of the stands.

I listen to Steeler games way more often than I would like to because I am "time blind" (I think that's what the kids are calling it these days when you're a perpetually-late MFer) and seldom make it to my watching destination before kickoff.

Hilgrove did not bother me. He definitely had some Biden moments, where he'd get the yard line and even the teams wrong, but he'd typically correct himself right after that. The thing that pisses me off the most is when the Pirates announcers (doing radio for a small market garbage MLB team has to be a top five most boring job in the world; so many seasons are realistically over in like June) will go like ten minutes without telling me the freaking score. I have to guess if we're winning or losing by their general demeanor.

Baseball announcing should be like the bus from Speed. If the bus went under a certain mph threshold, it would blow up. Well, if Joe Block goes more than two minutes without telling me the score, he should be slingshotted from the booth into the Allegheny.

• Haha
King is a good choice for this.
I like Rob personally. Good guy. I really have never been a huge fan of his play-by-play because I think he lacks some of the necessary charisma, but in fairness, he’s only ever been a fill-in guy. Definitely the best choice among the local options.

I listen to Steeler games way more often than I would like to because I am "time blind" (I think that's what the kids are calling it these days when you're a perpetually-late MFer) and seldom make it to my watching destination before kickoff.

Hilgrove did not bother me. He definitely had some Biden moments, where he'd get the yard line and even the teams wrong, but he'd typically correct himself right after that. The thing that pisses me off the most is when the Pirates announcers (doing radio for a small market garbage MLB team has to be a top five most boring job in the world; so many seasons are realistically over in like June) will go like ten minutes without telling me the freaking score. I have to guess if we're winning or losing by their general demeanor.

Baseball announcing should be like the bus from Speed. If the bus went under a certain mph threshold, it would blow up. Well, if Joe Block goes more than two minutes without telling me the score, he should be slingshotted from the booth into the Allegheny.
Memory failing but who had an hour glass in the booth for a reminder to give the score. The sand didn’t take an hour but you know. Think it may have been a local voice.

I like Rob personally. Good guy. I really have never been a huge fan of his play-by-play because I think he lacks some of the necessary charisma, but in fairness, he’s only ever been a fill-in guy. Definitely the best choice among the local options.
This is my assessment as well. He's a solid option, just not an exciting option. I do believe he'll be better than the replacements some of the other local teams have found to take over for legendary voices.

Used to be great turning down the TV sound and listening to Myron, but today they delay the radio or TV so they don't match up, and besides, there are no Myron's today, all the announcers are slick, cookie cutter "professionals" there are no fun personalities, no crazy characters with goofy catch phrases like Myron. Mike Lange, Bob Prince worth listening to, they all sound "professional" with serious analysis, that's why they all suck :).
You're right for the most part. But Billy & Tunch were pretty solid. And I'm not as down on Wolfley as many others are. The timing of the broadcast thing is easy to get around now with DVR technology. Just press pause on the run up to the opening kick off and then hit play when radio catches up. I did that a few times this past year. Even did it for a Pitt game.

Reactions: Pitt79
I think Pittsburgh is in a tough spot right now with sports announcers. Most are either too old or too young. But there are a few young kids over on The Fan that I think have solid futures. Jack Hillgrove is doing more on air work in Pittsburgh and it is just a matter of time before he moves to the Burgh airwaves full time. Donny Football is (IMO) the top on air broadcaster on The Fan right now (sorry Dorin).

I fully expect Jack Hillgrove to succeed his grandfather as the voice of the Panthers. Sure, it is a bit of nepotism. But he has been pretty good so far when I've listened and he seems to LOVE Pitt. Pat Bostic & Curtis Aiken are a luxury to have and they will make it much easier for whomever takes over for Bill in the next few (hopefully longer) years.

He's a good hooper too. Played with him at the Y.

Reactions: JD1976
A couple times last year I found myself in the car while a game was on so I listened to it then.

For as bad as Hillgrove got at the job over the years, he was still light years better than Craig Wolfley. 79's notion that he in any way, shape or form could be described as "slick" or a "professional" is hilarious. If he were doing a high school game and you didn't know who he was you'd probably wonder if the guy who was supposed to do the color commentary got sick so they had to pull some random parent out of the stands.
Find where I specified him as slick or professional? Reference the post where I said that? I'm talking about the young guys they are choosing moving forward. And yeah, it would be more fun listening to a random parent. My hig scholl streams games on Facebook and the announcers are random guys I went to school with, listening to them being reglar Yinzers is more fun than real announcers.

You're right for the most part. But Billy & Tunch were pretty solid. And I'm not as down on Wolfley as many others are. The timing of the broadcast thing is easy to get around now with DVR technology. Just press pause on the run up to the opening kick off and then hit play when radio catches up. I did that a few times this past year. Even did it for a Pitt game.
I don't do the radio thing anymore, but I'm big on DVR, I DVR every game and watch the DVR, often delayed, or if someone calls or comes to my door I freeze the game, I even watch the game after it's over if I have something important to do, living in Maryland it's not hard to avoid Pittsburgh scores, especially Pitt.

Not a big Joe Block fan. But I think Pittsburgh is fortunate to have Greg Brown. I watch a lot of baseball and listen to some on Sirius. Greg Brown is up there with the best in the business IMO. Bob Walk is ok. The rest are somewhere between mediocre and downright awful (although Wehner has some good moments from time to time and Kevin Young provides some decent analysis, albeit in the most boring manner).

Wolfley is a color guy though. They’ve always been less polished former jocks.

That said, Wolf is a wonderful person, but he is hard to listen to on the radio. Tunch was always great, especially with Cope. That was worth tuning in on radio.

Good. Hopefully he is the guy for Pitt football as well when the day comes.
That day should have come 15 years ago
Hillgrove is incoherent on his best
not all of us stay at home all the time .

Reactions: Panthers2015
That said, Wolf is a wonderful person, but he is hard to listen to on the radio. Tunch was always great, especially with Cope. That was worth tuning in on radio.

I thought Ilkin did a good job. Every time I hear Wolfley he sounds like a parody of a typical dumb yinzer.

And then I realize that it's not a parody, and it make me sad.

I thought Ilkin did a good job. Every time I hear Wolfley he sounds like a parody of a typical dumb yinzer.

If you've been around Wolf in a private setting, you know he plays up the yinzer persona when he's working on Sundays.

Funny story about Wolf. We were at Geneva College at a camp and I called the receivers "skilled" players and that didn't set well with him. He said "try blocking Reggie White for 4 quarters and tell me you don't need skill to block him."

King will be good because he will be able to actually call the play with the correct players involved, yards gained and line of scrimmage. These are things that have been missing for a few years.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Not a big Joe Block fan. But I think Pittsburgh is fortunate to have Greg Brown. I watch a lot of baseball and listen to some on Sirius. Greg Brown is up there with the best in the business IMO. Bob Walk is ok. The rest are somewhere between mediocre and downright awful (although Wehner has some good moments from time to time and Kevin Young provides some decent analysis, albeit in the most boring manner).

Kevin Young is insightful, but he sounds like he had Major Depressive Disorder or something. It's odd that someone who is that soft-spoken is in that profession.

I think Block is better than people give him credit for, but it's weird because he seems to know that people aren't a fan of him. It seems that being the yinzer pin cushion has worn him down a bit.

He's a really nice guy and good at what he does. My oldest daughter used to babysit his kids. He's just a kind and thoughtful dude.

Yeah - Tunch was the best part of the broadcast by far, because he’d actually explain the game and calls .
Wofley is always trying to sound cute with some inside jokes, which just sound dumb and don’t add any value .

Well you said, and I quote...

So unless you are arguing that Wolfley is not, in fact, and announcer (which would be absurd even by your standards) I'm pretty sure he'd be included in "all".
Thanks for the parsing and cross examination counselor, you're a total dick.

... all THE NEWER announcers coming up today are slick, cookie cutter "professionals"

Sorry I didn't think of this as a legal document or court testimony, so I wasn't careful enough with my wording it's so important to get it all perfect on a recreational message board

Last edited:
Kevin Young is insightful, but he sounds like he had Major Depressive Disorder or something. It's odd that someone who is that soft-spoken is in that profession.

He's been that way since day one. You'd think that they'd work with him to get his delivery better, but if they have it hasn't taken.

Which is too bad, because I think he has some good things to say but the delivery is hard to overcome.

Thanks for the parsing and cross examination counselor, you're a total dick.

... all THE NEWER announcers coming up today are slick, cookie cutter "professionals"

Sorry I didn't think of this as a legal document or court testimony, so I wasn't careful enough with my wording it's so important to get it all perfect on a recreational message board

You're right, I apologize for assuming that you meant what you actually posted instead of something different. I'll try to keep that in mind the next time you say something dumb.

King will be good because he will be able to actually call the play with the correct players involved, yards gained and line of scrimmage. These are things that have been missing for a few years.
THIS. A play by play man ACTUALLY doing play by play.
Bill Hilgrove has been a great play by play man and to a greater extent a great ambassador go the University of Pittsburgh.
The key words of the preceding sentence are “ HAS BEEN”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT