ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rock N’ Roll HOF 2021 Inductees

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
We had a thread before the nominees were announced about who you thought should/would be inducted. They announced the inductees earlier this week: Tina Turner, Carole King, The Go-Go’s, The Foo Fighters, Todd Rundgren and Jay-Z, not including the special category inductees Kraftwerk, Billy Preston, Gil Scott-Heron, LL Cool J, Charley Preston and Randy Rhoads.

What was your reaction? Biggest surprise? Who did make it but shouldn’t have? Who didn’t make it but should have? Why do they overlook Motley Crue every year? (Answer: At least a modicum of musical talent is required for induction.)

I’ll start: Overall, I was happy with the choices, particularly Carole King and The Go-Go’s.

Some people have said The Go-Go’s didn’t deserve it because they didn’t have the required longevity. Baloney. They released more original albums, for example, than either Buffalo Springfield or Guns N’ Roses. They were a seminal group — the first all-female band to write their own songs and play their own instruments. They were groundbreaking for female rockers. And, they were good.

After she was passed over so many times, I didn’t think Carole King would make it. She was inducted years ago as a song writer but had been eligible for induction as an artist for 25 years with getting in. She wasn’t quite the pioneer that The Go-Go’s were. Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins and Joan Baez all already had successful careers as solo female artists. However, all were folk/pop artists. The only solo female rock album I can think of which preceded “Tapestry” was by Laura Nyro, and it wasn’t the huge success —or influence — that “Tapestry” was. But, “Tapestry” was not, contrary to what some think, a one-shot wonder album. She has recorded five other albums which went gold or platinum. And, what “Tapestry” was — and is — is one of the best albums of all time. IMO it, standing alone, entitled her to induction.

It was obvious The Foo Fighters would get in. They deserve to be there. But, I don’t believe they deserved to get in the first year they were eligible. To me, that honor should be awarded infrequently.

The biggest surprise for me was Todd Rundgren. I consider him to be a marginally deserving candidate. I’m not unhappy that he will be inducted but I wouldn’t have been unhappy if he never got in.

Tina Turner was a no doubter. She already is in with Ike, but she certainly deserves it as a solo performer too.

I know who LL Cool J is because he has transformed into a TV actor. But, my knowledge of rap and hip hop is limited to NWA and The Beastie Boys, so I can’t opine on either him or Jay-Z as deserving or not.

When they hold the ceremony, I hope they give some in Memoriam recognition to John Prine. He was not a classic rocker by any means. He wasn’t a classic folk or country or bluegrass singer either. I play the guitar better than he did and my voice might have more range. But, with the exception of Bob Dylan, there has never been a better modern social commentator pick up the guitar and play songs that he or she wrote than John Prine.

The best song ever written about Vietnam veterans was “Sam Stone” and it’s not even close. I can’t listen to “there’s a hole in daddy’s arm where all the money goes” without both tearing up and getting angry.

I love “Paradise” the song he wrote about how the Peabody Coal company destroyed Muhlenberg County, Kentucky with its strip mining. It’s like a 3-minute version of John Styles’ great movie “Matewan.” And, then he could write great songs that were not full of social commentary like “Angel From Montgomery.” Take “Hello In There,” for example, where he wrote:

“You know that old trees just grow stronger
And old rivers grow wilder every day.
Old people just grow older.
Waiting for someone to say
Hello in there. Hello.”

He wasn’t even 30 years old when he wrote that compelling passage about what it was like to grow old alone.

I once asked Bernie Taupin, a former client, who he thought the best American lyricists were. Without hesitation, he answered “Dylan, Paul Simon and John Prine.” Robert Hilburn, the most influential rock critic in America, called him “one of the greatest songwriters America has ever produced.”

After leaving the LA Times 15 years earlier, Hilburn returned to write a guest column after Prine’s death from Covid complications in April 2020. He wrote that “You didn’t just listen to a John Prine song, you wrapped yourself in it like a favorite jacket.”

I’ve probably listened to his 1971 debut album “John Prine” 1,000 times. I think I’m going to go listen to it again.

It is amazing how quietly the RRHOF announcement's are. I too am glad the Go Go's made it. Surprised at Rundgren. I thought LL and Jay Z had chances, but one would cancel the other. I totally agree with Carole King, her reach and influence was far and wide. The Foos were a lock, hell Green Day (I know I beat this drum) somehow got in the first chance so you know the Foo Fighters would. Todd Rundgren was a surprise, but like you I am not disappointed. And yeah, Tina Turner was a lock at some point.

We had a thread before the nominees were announced about who you thought should/would be inducted. They announced the inductees earlier this week: Tina Turner, Carole King, The Go-Go’s, The Foo Fighters, Todd Rundgren and Jay-Z, not including the special category inductees Kraftwerk, Billy Preston, Gil Scott-Heron, LL Cool J, Charley Preston and Randy Rhoads.

What was your reaction? Biggest surprise? Who did make it but shouldn’t have? Who didn’t make it but should have? Why do they overlook Motley Crue every year? (Answer: At least a modicum of musical talent is required for induction.)

I’ll start: Overall, I was happy with the choices, particularly Carole King and The Go-Go’s.

Some people have said The Go-Go’s didn’t deserve it because they didn’t have the required longevity. Baloney. They released more original albums, for example, than either Buffalo Springfield or Guns N’ Roses. They were a seminal group — the first all-female band to write their own songs and play their own instruments. They were groundbreaking for female rockers. And, they were good.

After she was passed over so many times, I didn’t think Carole King would make it. She was inducted years ago as a song writer but had been eligible for induction as an artist for 25 years with getting in. She wasn’t quite the pioneer that The Go-Go’s were. Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins and Joan Baez all already had successful careers as solo female artists. However, all were folk/pop artists. The only solo female rock album I can think of which preceded “Tapestry” was by Laura Nyro, and it wasn’t the huge success —or influence — that “Tapestry” was. But, “Tapestry” was not, contrary to what some think, a one-shot wonder album. She has recorded five other albums which went gold or platinum. And, what “Tapestry” was — and is — is one of the best albums of all time. IMO it, standing alone, entitled her to induction.

It was obvious The Foo Fighters would get in. They deserve to be there. But, I don’t believe they deserved to get in the first year they were eligible. To me, that honor should be awarded infrequently.

The biggest surprise for me was Todd Rundgren. I consider him to be a marginally deserving candidate. I’m not unhappy that he will be inducted but I wouldn’t have been unhappy if he never got in.

Tina Turner was a no doubter. She already is in with Ike, but she certainly deserves it as a solo performer too.

I know who LL Cool J is because he has transformed into a TV actor. But, my knowledge of rap and hip hop is limited to NWA and The Beastie Boys, so I can’t opine on either him or Jay-Z as deserving or not.

When they hold the ceremony, I hope they give some in Memoriam recognition to John Prine. He was not a classic rocker by any means. He wasn’t a classic folk or country or bluegrass singer either. I play the guitar better than he did and my voice might have more range. But, with the exception of Bob Dylan, there has never been a better modern social commentator pick up the guitar and play songs that he or she wrote than John Prine.

The best song ever written about Vietnam veterans was “Sam Stone” and it’s not even close. I can’t listen to “there’s a hole in daddy’s arm where all the money goes” without both tearing up and getting angry.

I love “Paradise” the song he wrote about how the Peabody Coal company destroyed Muhlenberg County, Kentucky with its strip mining. It’s like a 3-minute version of John Styles’ great movie “Matewan.” And, then he could write great songs that were not full of social commentary like “Angel From Montgomery.” Take “Hello In There,” for example, where he wrote:

Hello in there. Hello.”

He wasn’t even 30 years old when he wrote that compelling passage about what it was like to grow old alone.

I once asked Bernie Taupin, a former client, who he thought the best American lyricists were. Without hesitation, he answered “Dylan, Paul Simon and John Prine.” Robert Hilburn, the most influential rock critic in America, called him “one of the greatest songwriters America has ever produced.”

After leaving the LA Times 15 years earlier, Hilburn returned to write a guest column after Prine’s death from Covid complications in April 2020. He wrote that “You didn’t just listen to a John Prine song, you wrapped yourself in it like a favorite jacket.”

I’ve probably listened to his 1971 debut album “John Prine” 1,000 times. I think I’m going to go listen to it again.
I’ve come to really appreciate John Prine just recently. What’s nice about finding an artist like that late in the game is that there’s an almost endless amount of material to sort through and discover. I believe that you are likely underestimating his guitar abilities, but he sure got everything you could get out of that voice. Especially his last album or two. As you’ve expressed, just a fabulous song writer. Makes me smile when a hear his songs.

Reactions: mike412

Hello in there. Hello.”

I don't have any issues with the selections. I suspected that Foo Fighters and the Go-Go's were the deserving requisites. I too am a little surprised by Todd Rungren but I suspect his production work came largely into play.

Among the nominees, there's no one left off with which I have an issue. Some folks here on the Lair made a case for Iron Maiden, but I'm not as familiar. I really like Kate Bush, and know of her influence, especially on someone like Lorde. But it feels just under Hall of Fame level.

I’ve come to really appreciate John Prine just recently. What’s nice about finding an artist like that late in the game is that there’s an almost endless amount of material to sort through and discover. I believe that you are likely underestimating his guitar abilities, but he sure got everything you could get out of that voice. Especially his last album or two. As you’ve expressed, just a fabulous song writer. Makes me smile when a hear his songs.

Or, you might be underestimating my guitar playing ability. :)

Seriously though, he improved quite a bit, but was not very good early in his career. If you listen to his debut album, he had to use a capo on almost every song because he could only play 4 chords. Back then, he didn’t even play the bass notes with his thumb. He either strummed the chords or used a rudimentary form of Cotton Pickin’ without the top two strings. The bass notes were overdubbed.

I initially learned to play using Cotton Pickin’ so I am not knocking it. If it was good enough for Elizabeth Cotton….But, it’s not the most sophisticated way to play folk guitar unless you build on it. However, his lyrics more than made up for any shortcomings.

Reactions: Eastern Eight
To be fair, they have been more influential on more bands than every other person nominated this year.

Maybe combined.

That's a pretty strong statement, and I'm not sure I'd agree. In fact I don't ... with either half. But they are indeed influential, and would have been been a worthy induction.

Hello in there. Hello.”

gotta wonder what Jethro Tull did to these knuckleheads such that they do not even warrant a nomination...

Reactions: BPKY
ADVERTISEMENT