ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Romo

He was always that way. He just got all the hype because a couple of times he guessed what the play would be.

Reactions: rockypanther
Some pay closer attention to the quality of game announcers than others. I am more the latter. Recall Tony being lauded for being able to accurately predict what an offense was going to do, but also see comedians doing impressions that mock him for making sounds instead of using words during replays. Don't really have a strong impression of him either way, but would not be surprised to hear that he and Nantz socialize off set.

Last edited:
I haven’t noticed much of a regression from him. Then again I suppose I don’t really pay much attention to the broadcast team when watching the game. I only really negatively noticed Romo when he says “Chase is on the case” every time he does a Bengals game. No reason to reference a crappy kids cartoon while calling an NFL game.

He was always that way. He just got all the hype because a couple of times he guessed what the play would be.
That's simply not true. He's a far cry from where he started as a color analyst. He was annoying in his manner but pretty good at diagnosing what was happening on the field. Now he's just running his mouth, analysis is down the list of what comes out of his mouth. As I said before, it's 75% nothing. Maybe more.

LOL CBS probably has a contract negotiation with Romo coming up and are leaking "issues" with his style.

Some pay closer attention to the quality of game announcers than others. I am more the latter. Recall Tony being lauded for being able to accurately predict what an offense was going to do, but also see comedians doing impressions that mock him for making sounds instead of using words during replays. Don't really have a strong impression of him either way, but would not be surprised to hear that he and Nance socialize off set.
Both excellent golfers who have played together.

Reactions: nycpanther98
There was a discussion in an earlier thread about how bad he's become. Went from "OK" when he started to intolerable, rambling and worthless as a color guy.

Looks like we weren't the only ones who noticed:

https://www.si.com/media/2023/02/02...ion-amid-concerns-about-regression-per-report
Has not been a decent color guy analyst since Al DeRogatis...

"3rd and 8 Curt, good time to think pass or draw"... you just don't get that kind of insight with these losers today...

Has not been a decent color guy analyst since Al DeRogatis...

"3rd and 8 Curt, good time to think pass or draw"... you just don't get that kind of insight with these losers today...
“Curt, George Blanda lives for these pressure packed moments. If he can’t get the football into the end zone on 3rd down, he’ll just kick a field goal. What a weapon!”

Last edited:
Reactions: Saboteur II
They're all high maintenance poodles. Romo is fine.

Nantz is fine play by play. Only one (play man) I couldn't stand was Al.Michaels.

sideline reporters are mostly useless unless they played. Bonnie Bernstein or any of the eye candy offer no insight into the game. They read their responses off of note cards due to lack of metacognition.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2

Nantz is fine play by play. Only one (play man) I couldn't stand was Al.Michaels.

sideline reporters are mostly useless unless they played. Bonnie Bernstein or any of the eye candy offer no insight into the game. They read their responses off of note cards due to lack of metacognition.
Sounds like someone not old enough to remember the Miracle on Ice...Al gets a lifelong pass..

Sounds like someone not old enough to remember the Miracle on Ice...Al gets a lifelong pass..
I remember it well. In the game prior to the miracle, he referred to one of our opponents as inferior and was very derogatory towards them. That always stuck with me.

Last edited:
Collinsworth owns Pro Football Focus, I believe. I imagine it has made him Quite wealthy; if he wasn't before!

The problem with Most color guys (especially Collins and Rino) is the feel compelled to say something between every play. As a result more often than not they are just saying stupid crap to fill the vacuum

Sometimes less is more

Bonnie was underrated as a hottie for sure. Erin Andrews got far too much attention especially after the dubious peephole incident.

I guess Bonnie aged out of the position like a news anchor because after a while she was just gone? Maybe for these um, enlightened times she was too attractive? There’s someone else on CBS now, can’t recall her name, but not the least bit inspirational in her abilities in that fashion. In fact she has a very offputting mole on her face; very hard not to stare at. Keep expecting Uncle Buck to show up and toss her a quarter to go downtown and have a rat gnaw it off her face.

Fox apparently isn’t allowed to dump Erin (who quite reasonably is looking rather haggard after all these years, though not awful). Not after all the legal hoopla, so she still shows up in sidelines at some games. Oddly sometimes on other networks too . She’s not nearly as worn out as Pam Oliver though, yikes.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I don’t really see this big regression from Romo, he’s fine. Collinsworth is good despite the hate he gets. I didn’t get all the praise for Olsen. He still sounds like a “B team” announcer.

Collinsworth has the reputation of being a crap-stirrer which I suppose pisses people off. But I find his analysis to usually be spot on and I think he’s decent to listen to. He’s probably my favorite color guy of the last few decades. Wish he was still with a Michaels and not Tirico though. I felt like that was the best pairing going for years. Now I’ve got to listen to Tirico do play by play on Sundays and Herbstriet do color on Thursdays.

Bonnie was underrated as a hottie for sure. Erin Andrews got far too much attention especially after the dubious peephole incident.

I guess Bonnie aged out of the position like a news anchor because after a while she was just gone? Maybe for these um, enlightened times she was too attractive? There’s someone else on CBS now, can’t recall her name, but not the least bit inspirational in her abilities in that fashion. In fact she has a very offputting mole on her face; very hard not to stare at. Keep expecting Uncle Buck to show up and toss her a quarter to go downtown and have a rat gnaw it off her face.

Fox apparently isn’t allowed to dump Erin (who quite reasonably is looking rather haggard after all these years, though not awful). Not after all the legal hoopla, so she still shows up in sidelines at some games. Oddly sometimes on other networks too . She’s not nearly as worn out as Pam Oliver though, yikes.
Tracy Wolfson

If you have half a brain as a football fan you don't need someone explaining things to you. How many on this board remember Green Bay Packers TV announcer Ray Scott? Green Bay hired him from Pitt to do their radio/TV game play by play calls. He believed that fans watching a game on TV needed only minimal words from the broadcast booth. One of his famous Calls, "Starr, Dowler, touchdown". Three words to describe a scoring play. Romo, and all the rest, need three minutes to describe an off tackle run for no gain. They only provide non-stop babble.

Reactions: Parkview57
If you have half a brain as a football fan you don't need someone explaining things to you. How many on this board remember Green Bay Packers TV announcer Ray Scott? Green Bay hired him from Pitt to do their radio/TV game play by play calls. He believed that fans watching a game on TV needed only minimal words from the broadcast booth. One of his famous Calls, "Starr, Dowler, touchdown". Three words to describe a scoring play. Romo, and all the rest, need three minutes to describe an off tackle run for no gain. They only provide non-stop babble.

Yes but you are comparing a play by play guy to a color analyst. I’m sure Scott’s broadcast partner was chiming in with something after the play.

I agree that there could be a little more quiet during the broadcast but it’s not like it is a new thing. It’s been that way for as long as I can remember. Was the trend of constant talking started by Madden? I don’t feel like it’s much different than watching a game was in the 80s or 90s.

Yes but you are comparing a play by play guy to a color analyst. I’m sure Scott’s broadcast partner was chiming in with something after the play.

I agree that there could be a little more quiet during the broadcast but it’s not like it is a new thing. It’s been that way for as long as I can remember. Was the trend of constant talking started by Madden? I don’t feel like it’s much different than watching a game was in the 80s or 90s.
I guess I'm really saying do we need an analyst? I could do without it. Madden may have been the beginning of the trend. I remember when he joined the booth many folks were raving about his folksy charm and novel approach. I always wondered if Pat Summerall felt the same. But times change and for now the networks think we need the "expert analysis." Can hardly wait for Brady in 2024.

I guess I'm really saying do we need an analyst? I could do without it. Madden may have been the beginning of the trend. I remember when he joined the booth many folks were raving about his folksy charm and novel approach. I always wondered if Pat Summerall felt the same. But times change and for now the networks think we need the "expert analysis." Can hardly wait for Brady in 2024.

I will say that I think I’ve learned a lot about football over the years via analysis by good color guys. But I’ve been equally annoyed by bad ones. So I get your point. I’m usually watching games by myself so I guess I don’t mind it as much.

Reactions: Pitt grad and dad
That's simply not true. He's a far cry from where he started as a color analyst. He was annoying in his manner but pretty good at diagnosing what was happening on the field. Now he's just running his mouth, analysis is down the list of what comes out of his mouth. As I said before, it's 75% nothing. Maybe more.

I heard some teams complained about him predicting what was coming and he was told to stop. I thought that was his best asset, so if true he sort of got hamstrung.

Did Pam Oliver have some sort of health scare? She sounded awful this past year.

ADVERTISEMENT