ADVERTISEMENT

OT Samsung TV losing picture

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
My 6 year old Samsung 60" wall TV lost its picture this AM. Now I know it is not a cable issue because there is sound, and I can change channels. Just there is no picture. Even if I try and take it off of cable input to to TV input to look at the menu, I can the screen is blank.

So the problem is resolved one or the other. Unfortunately the easy solution is not so easy.

1) Unplug the TV at the wall, and hold the power button down to reset it for about 60 seconds. This according the all on the internet resolves 2/3's of this issue.
2) Screen is gone, need new TV,

The problem with #1 is this TV was installed as I moved into my house, brand new. And I had Best Buy's Geek Squad install it. The issue, the wall brackets are so tight, I can't unplug it at the wall!!! I mean I can unplug the cable box and stuff, but I cannot unplug the actual TV. Has this happened to anyone else?

Am I going to have to take the TV out of its brackets just to unplug it for 60 seconds???

It could still be a cable issue. Try swapping one out and see if you have the same problem.

If that works you can buy me a happy meal from McDonalds. :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: DruidTM and Fk_Pitt
Is there a way to unplug your TV at the TV? I have a wall mounted Samsung also and I can reach the plug on the back of the TV to unplug it. Try that.

Or, cut the breaker for the TV that shuts off the power to that plug.

Also, turn off your cable box and re-start it.

Reactions: The Ole Six-Fiver
Is there a way to unplug your TV at the TV? I have a wall mounted Samsung also and I can reach the plug on the back of the TV to unplug it. Try that.

Yeah, it’s not the ultimate solution to the infrastructure use, but to just immediately try to troubleshoot, stop and restart the breaker for the power that goes to that room

Did that, didn't work. Uh Oh.

At first I though maybe bad HDMI cable, but you switched inputs and it's still blank.

If resets don't work it's likely something more involved like a backlight issue. From web:

Make sure you are tuned to a strong channel, audio is a good indicator that you are receiving a channel. Take a BRIGHT flashlight and hold it 1 to 2 inches away from the screen. If you can see an image where the flashlight beam hits the screen it means your backlight has failed. Depending on the value/age of the TV it may or may not be worth repairing. Probably not.

Related topic, my firestick stops working after a few minutes of operation. If I unplug the power and plug it back in , it will work again for a few minutes then crap out.
It's a few years old and I assume there is no way to repair it. . Is it just time to chuck it and buy a new one?

Related topic, my firestick stops working after a few minutes of operation. If I unplug the power and plug it back in , it will work again for a few minutes then crap out.
It's a few years old and I assume there is no way to repair it. . Is it just time to chuck it and buy a new one?
You can go to Settings, do a factory reset, and see if that helps.

The only downside to Factory Reset is that you would lose any 3rd Party apps that have been side downloaded. All regular normal apps would not be lost.

If the issue is occurring only when you use a certain app, then the problem may be that app itself. The app may need to updated. 🤔 Also, you may want to check to see if the Firestick is due for an update, before doing a Factory Reset. They're supposed to auto-update, but some people may have turned off auto update and not realize it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farnox
That issue is likely a board that went out and you will likely be better off tossing it and buying a new one. You can download firmware from Samsung to do a software update that will fix some problems and obviously it's worth the effort to reboot it just flip the breaker it's on for 60 seconds of you can't reach the plug with out taking the mount appart

Is it only the picture of the tv that you can’t see, or can you see nothing at all? Because if it is the former, you may just need a new tv, but if it is the latter you may have a more serious problem because you’re probably going blind. Sorry just trying to eliminate all possibilities.

You can go to Settings, do a factory reset, and see if that helps.

The only downside to Factory Reset is that you would lose any 3rd Party apps that have been side downloaded. All regular normal apps would not be lost.

If the issue is occurring only when you use a certain app, then the problem may be that app itself. The app may need to updated. 🤔 Also, you may want to check to see if the Firestick is due for an update, before doing a Factory Reset. They're supposed to auto-update, but some people may have turned off auto update and not realize it.
How do I go to "settings" and do a "factory reset" when there is nothing on my television for me to see in regards to a menu???

Last edited:
That issue is likely a board that went out and you will likely be better off tossing it and buying a new one. You can download firmware from Samsung to do a software update that will fix some problems and obviously it's worth the effort to reboot it just flip the breaker it's on for 60 seconds of you can't reach the plug with out taking the mount appart
Yeah. I did the shut down from the breaker thing. I cannot reach the mount. I need my toolbox brother to come over and help me dismount. But it is starting to look like it is a new TV.

I mean 6 1/2 years right? Hate to say this, it was a heavy use TV. I noticed shadows in the background on some spots so I am guessing my LED board just completely fried.

They cost like $30. Buy a new one.

Yeah. I did the shut down from the breaker thing. I cannot reach the mount. I need my toolbox brother to come over and help me dismount. But it is starting to look like it is a new TV.

I mean 6 1/2 years right? Hate to say this, it was a heavy use TV. I noticed shadows in the background on some spots so I am guessing my LED board just completely fried.
Designed obsolescence

My 6 year old Samsung 60" wall TV lost its picture this AM. Now I know it is not a cable issue because there is sound, and I can change channels. Just there is no picture. Even if I try and take it off of cable input to to TV input to look at the menu, I can the screen is blank.

So the problem is resolved one or the other. Unfortunately the easy solution is not so easy.

1) Unplug the TV at the wall, and hold the power button down to reset it for about 60 seconds. This according the all on the internet resolves 2/3's of this issue.

The problem with #1 is this TV was installed as I moved into my house, brand new. And I had Best Buy's Geek Squad install it. The issue, the wall brackets are so tight, I can't unplug it at the wall!!! I mean I can unplug the cable box and stuff, but I cannot unplug the actual TV. Has this happened to anyone else?

Am I going to have to take the TV out of its brackets just to unplug it for 60 seconds???
TV's are pretty much disposable these days. Just buy a new one and stop eating steak dinners and drinking $15 glasses of wine. :)

I had a similar situation. It was a 2 man job to wedge the TV out enough to unplug it.

Hmmm...I wall-mounted a 60" Samsung about a year ago and the picture is the best I've ever seen. When I had a question, Samsung always answered and was quick to respond. It's quality and I couldn't be more happy with it.

I also have a 43" Samsung in my bedroom that is about 20 years old. It just keeps on going and the picture is as good as the day I opened the box.

I guess there are always exceptions. I've heard of more people having problems with LG's with picture burn-in.

The side effect of the problem discussed (the difficulty removing the unit from the wall) is a primary reason that I’ve avoided mounting TVs on the wall. They seem to die fairly frequently and it’s sucha hassle to get installed/uninstalled/reinstalled and sometimes old brackets don’t fit new sets or get loose from the wall (or in this case was immovable). Plus having to get wiring up to the spot (without it looking hideous) or else run through the wall etc. then Heaven forbid the wife wants to realign the furniture and change things… so I’ve unfortunately limited the size of the units I have in the living room, game room etc to 60” or below so they can fit on stands.

Well done. My god it was a chore unattaching the TV to a wall mount. Nope. It is shot. I was wondering about the picture because of shadows.

No worries, already got a new one, 65" Samsung Crystal UHD for almost $1200 less than I bought this one for. When I saw the price, I couldn't not buy.

Well done. My god it was a chore unattaching the TV to a wall mount. Nope. It is shot. I was wondering about the picture because of shadows.

No worries, already got a new one, 65" Samsung Crystal UHD for almost $1200 less than I bought this one for. When I saw the price, I couldn't not buy.
Should go bigger unless you have space constraint.

Congrats! You should love that TV!

I have a wall mount that moves....back and forth, out and in. I don't have a problem with rewiring with the bracket I have. And if I want to detach the TV someday and re-attach a new one, I just undo 2 locks, slide the old one off and slide the new one in and lock it in. I can do it by myself. I can slide it left and right to center it. It rests on a channel. And I'm an old fart!

All my wiring is in a conduit behind my fireplace. I have power and HDMI's behind the TV mount.

I have a wall mount that moves....back and forth, out and in. I don't have a problem with rewiring with the bracket I have. And if I want to detach the TV someday and re-attach a new one, I just undo 2 locks, slide the old one off and slide the new one in and lock it in. I can do it by myself. I can slide it left and right to center it. It rests on a channel. And I'm an old fart!
Y
Yes, I just learned and that is my new bracket so I can move the TV out and in.

Pitt fans TV’s have a much shorter life expectancy due to things like shoes being thrown at them, tears going onto circuit boards, loud $&@$# verbal language directed at them and their remotes thrown down he street.
Not to mention vomit. Which I shouldn’t have mentioned

I have a new TV now. Seriously, in this age of inflation, I almost felt giddy like I stole something when a new Samsung HDTV 65" was over $1000 less than what I paid for a lesser model/size 6 years ago.

After resisting many years I’m considering putting a TV above my fireplace mantle. I don’t burn fires constantly in it or anything but a fair amount in the winter. Has anyone experienced issues with the heat from that affecting their TV?

After resisting many years I’m considering putting a TV above my fireplace mantle. I don’t burn fires constantly in it or anything but a fair amount in the winter. Has anyone experienced issues with the heat from that affecting their TV?
That is where the one I replaced is. I am not sure if the heat had anything to do with it. But I think, especially most newer homes, that is a natural spot to put a large TV.

That is where the one I replaced is. I am not sure if the heat had anything to do with it. But I think, especially most newer homes, that is a natural spot to put a large TV.
It’s an older mid 60s home so for better or worse the mantle is what it is, I’ve felt along it during burns and it doesn’t seem too hot or anything, so I’m inclined to try

ADVERTISEMENT