ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Scenes from the Argentina parade

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I've never seen anything like it. They estimate 5 million people attended which makes it one of the top (non-Muslim pilgrimage) public gatherings in human history. Actually, 5 million were also estimated at the Cubs 2016 parade but I looked at the pictures from that and Buenos Aires seems like 2-3 times more. The bus couldn't move after a certain point due to the number of people so they had to evacuate them and do a helicopter tour.

Here's a crazy video. And how were there no crush deaths, which have been happening too frequently.

I've never seen anything like it. They estimate 5 million people attended which makes it one of the top (non-Muslim pilgrimage) public gatherings in human history. Actually, 5 million were also estimated at the Cubs 2016 parade but I looked at the pictures from that and Buenos Aires seems like 2-3 times more. The bus couldn't move after a certain point due to the number of people so they had to evacuate them and do a helicopter tour.

Here's a crazy video. And how were there no crush deaths, which have been happening too frequently.

you do realize that now that this ends the world cup hoopla you will have to switch back to lotion do you not?

Buenos Aires has over 15 million people in its metro area. I believe it is the second largest city in the Southern Hemisphere. Unless Lagos or Manilla has passed it up.

last time I looked at the Earth Lagos and Manila were in the Northern Hemisphere...
I didn't look, I knew Nigeria was close to the equator. I forgot Africa is actually much more north than South America on average. Okay, substitute Jakarta for Manilla.

I didn't look, I knew Nigeria was close to the equator. I forgot Africa is actually much more north than South America on average. Okay, substitute Jakarta for Manilla.

According to Wikipedia (so we know that it is true), it is the fourth largest city in the Southern Hemisphere.

1) Jakarta - 33 million
2) Sâo Paulo - 22 million
3) Kinshasa-Brazzaville - 17 million
4) Buenos Aires - 16 million
5T) Rio - 12 million
5T) Surabaya - 12 million

According to Wikipedia (so we know that it is true), it is the fourth largest city in the Southern Hemisphere.

1) Jakarta - 33 million
2) Sâo Paulo - 22 million
3) Kinshasa-Brazzaville - 17 million
4) Buenos Aires - 16 million
5T) Rio - 12 million
5T) Surabaya - 12 million
It is amazing how fast some of the African cities and countries are growing. Nigeria is set to pass us by for 3rd most populous country in 20 years.

Pitt fans would be like "Should I even go to the parade? What about parking? It might take forever and I won't be able to get back to Cranberry in 20 minutes"
I'd never go to a celebration parade for all the reasons you site. It's like going to Time Square on New Year's Eve, no way in hell! Stand there in a crowd for 12 hours?

Pitt fans would be like "Should I even go to the parade? What about parking? It might take forever and I won't be able to get back to Cranberry in 20 minutes"
no, we'd go but we'd leave about 1/2 way thru to beat the traffic..

I'd never go to a celebration parade for all the reasons you site. It's like going to Time Square on New Year's Eve, no way in hell! Stand there in a crowd for 12 hours?
i feel the same. last parade i went to was the penguins celebration one in early 90s and the only reason i went to that was just because me and some friends skipped school to go dahn tahn.

i feel the same. last parade i went to was the penguins celebration one in early 90s and the only reason i went to that was just because me and some friends skipped school to go dahn tahn.
Me too, I only went to the Pens parade because I was working dahn tahn back then.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Another thing that I always thought was crazy was the people that would go to the airport to meet the team returning from a game. Going to the airport is always a pain in the ass for many reasons, going just to wave at some guys emerging from a flight is insane :)

I never understood that. Do they put out enough port-a-johns for them? Do they wear adult diapers? Maybe an empty bottle under a long winter coat.

Another thing that I always thought was crazy was the people that would go to the airport to meet the team returning from a game. Going to the airport is always a pain in the ass for many reasons, going just to wave at some guys emerging from a flight is insane :)
honestly, that makes more sense than a parade weeks later. You are still in the heat of the victory then, probably still boozed up from the Championship victory.

Of course this was pre 9/11 when you could go to the gate without a ticket. now it doesnt make any sense of course since you cant get to the gate area..

1396111387000-F17-Indianapolis-burn-02.jpg

Then there's this guy, he claims to be the Baltimore Colts biggest super fan. He says that was him protesting next to the Colts sign, as they were moving their stuff to Indy in 1984. He used to have his own website. Can't find it now :)

I never understood that. Do they put out enough port-a-johns for them? Do they wear adult diapers? Maybe an empty bottle under a long winter coat.

I have heard you basically have to stand in place for 12 hours or so and cant leave to go to the bathroom or you'll never get back in. Not sure how true that is. As for the Argentinians, I was kinda surprised there wasnt one of those crowd surge stampedes that you're seeing more and more now.

I have heard you basically have to stand in place for 12 hours or so and cant leave to go to the bathroom or you'll never get back in.
So how is that a fun experience? I'd rather see them on TV for 5 minutes at midnight than be with them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT