ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sean Payton to Denver. Would you if say the Carolina Panthers offer

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
Two #1s and a 2nd rd pick for Mike Tomlin, would you do it????

I would. So say they would do this this year. The Panthers have the 9th pick. And 39 and 40th pick in rd 2.

So you make this trade, the Steelers would draft:

Rd 1
9 (Carolina)
17 (own)
Rd 2
32 (Bears)
40 (Carolina)
49 (own)
Rd 3
Plus an extra 1 in 2024.
In a NY minute!

But nobody is making the offer. Didn't they hire Frank Reich?

I would. So say they would do this this year. The Panthers have the 9th pick. And 39 and 40th pick in rd 2.

Rd 1
9 (Carolina)
17 (own)
Rd 2
32 (Bears)
40 (Carolina)
49 (own)
Rd 3
Plus an extra 1 in 2024.
In a NY minute!
If Tomlin sucks as bad as the people who want him gone say, why in Hell would anyone offer that package. Let’s stay in the real world.

• Love
Reactions: FreeportPanther
Denver is ensuring that they will not be very good for several more years. How many 1s and 2s have they given up now just for a mediocre QB and a coach?

Rd 1
9 (Carolina)
17 (own)
Rd 2
32 (Bears)
40 (Carolina)
49 (own)
Rd 3
Plus an extra 1 in 2024.
In a NY minute!
I like Tomlin, but you’d have to accept that offer.

Reactions: pittbb80

Rd 1
9 (Carolina)
17 (own)
Rd 2
32 (Bears)
40 (Carolina)
49 (own)
Rd 3
Plus an extra 1 in 2024.
In a NY minute!
Are you sure Andrew Filiponi or SMF didn’t hijack your account?

So now the Broncos don't have a high draft pick until 2040 and they have an overpaid QB who was among the worst in the league this past year. A coach who has one one Super Bowl in like 17 seasons should thrive in that scenario.
It's getting to the point where one NFL franchise or another makes a spectacularly dumb decision about every 8-12 months.

It's getting to the point where one NFL franchise or another makes a spectacularly dumb decision about every 8-12 months.

It's like something I would expect to see in the NBA, if Lebron James and Shaq - both in their primes - were becoming available in free agency in two years and the Wilson contract was easy to wiggle out of.

I mean Payton is solid, but he wasn't even racking up the championships with a HOFer at the helm. I just don't get it.

Reactions: pittdan77
So now the Broncos don't have a high draft pick until 2040 and they have an overpaid QB who was among the worst in the league this past year. A coach who has one one Super Bowl in like 17 seasons should thrive in that scenario.

I think this year is the only year where they don't have a number one in the foreseeable futuire.

I think this year is the only year where they don't have a number one in the foreseeable futuire.

They gave up two firsts and two seconds for Wilson and like a first and a second or something for Payton. No offense to them, but I'd rather push rewind, not have Wilson and Payton, and get all of those picks back. I do think they have another first, but they had to give away Chubb to get it.

They gave up two firsts and two seconds for Wilson and like a first and a second or something for Payton. No offense to them, but I'd rather push rewind, not have Wilson and Payton, and get all of those picks back. I do think they have another first, but they had to give away Chubb to get it.

Yeah, if they had a reset button I'm sure they'd be pounding on it. Their o-line resembled the Steelers last year.

The Steelers are more likely to make Tomlin a part owner (and that isn’t implausible either) than to let him go for some trade, or let his contract expire.

Tomlin has been head coach for 16 years and has won a playoff game in four of those years. I'm absolutely taking that trade and I do like Tomlin as a head coach. Change can sometimes be good for all involved.

Rd 1
9 (Carolina)
17 (own)
Rd 2
32 (Bears)
40 (Carolina)
49 (own)
Rd 3
Plus an extra 1 in 2024.
In a NY minute!
A. Neither Carolina, nor anyone, is going to make such an offer to Pittsburgh.

B. Unlike players, Pittsburgh couldn't trade Tomlin without Tomlin's consent. He would not consent.

C. See A.

A. Neither Carolina, nor anyone, is going to make such an offer to Pittsburgh.

B. Unlike players, Pittsburgh couldn't trade Tomlin without Tomlin's consent. He would not consent.

C. See A.

Is Payton any more pedigreed than Tomlin? He may be more attractive because everyone goes goo goo for offensive guys, but other than that they're like the same.

Trading that high of a pick is just insane for a guy that was retired and just casually looking around.

The Broncos were rejected by numerous top candidates, including Demeco Ryans who passed on them multiple times. I think they felt the heat of having to make a move.

Hackett was such a bad hire. Especially since they only wanted him to get Rodgers, who they didn't end up getting anyway. Now the Jets are doing the same thing.

That was the 49ers 1st which was owned by Miami through the Trey Lance trade. The Broncos traded it to get Peyton.

They have two 2023 3rds; a 1st and two 3rds in 2024. It's not great.

i dont hate him, just think it's time for a change. of course he's got a life time pass with this organization so it's all a moot point anyways..
The thing that's funny is the Rooney Worshipping Steelers fans think this stability is the reason for any success they have, so why did the Eagles go to the Super Bowl, win it, fire the coach 2 years later then now a couple years after that are going to the Super Bowl again? How did the Bucs, fire Tony Dungy, hire Jon Gruden and win the next Super Bowl? Also, seems like the key to winning the Stanley Cup for the Pens has often been firing the coach mid season. Stablity can be good, but the Steelers/Yinzer attitude is too ABSOLUTE.

The thing that's funny is the Rooney Worshipping Steelers fans think this stability is the reason for any success they have, so why did the Eagles go to the Super Bowl, win it, fire the coach 2 years later then now a couple years after that are going to the Super Bowl again? How did the Bucs, fire Tony Dungy, hire Jon Gruden and win the next Super Bowl? Also, seems like the key to winning the Stanley Cup for the Pens has often been firing the coach mid season. Stablity can be good, but the Steelers/Yinzer attitude is too ABSOLUTE.
I think stability makes sense in the right situation. The Eagles are probably a good example of a franchise that should have been more patient. Yeah, kinda working out but I think in the long run, that decision might look a bit differently. Especially if they lose next week.

The Bucs, however, made the right move. Dungy got canned because he had a loaded roster and couldn't consistently win playoff games. Probably where his DB coach learned it. Gruden sort of walked into a pretty sweet situation.

I think stability makes sense in the right situation. The Eagles are probably a good example of a franchise that should have been more patient. Yeah, kinda working out but I think in the long run, that decision might look a bit differently. Especially if they lose next week.

The Bucs, however, made the right move. Dungy got canned because he had a loaded roster and couldn't consistently win playoff games. Probably where his DB coach learned it. Gruden sort of walked into a pretty sweet situation.
If the Bucs play another team in that Super Bowl they most likely lose, that Bill Callahan didn't change up the Raiders signals is criminal.

Why will it look differently? They still got to the Super Bowl, even if they lose then go 5-12 next season, what's better a Super Bowl appearance and a few 5-12s, or consistent 9-8s over and over?

Rd 1
9 (Carolina)
17 (own)
Rd 2
32 (Bears)
40 (Carolina)
49 (own)
Rd 3
Plus an extra 1 in 2024.
In a NY minute!
Absolutely
But they won’t offer that
They already screwed up by not hiring the interim guy - but we’ll see if the old eagles coach works out.
I mean I get you forgot they already hired a coach

ADVERTISEMENT