ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Slap Fighting

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Dana White's new slap fighting league comes to TBS this week. Here's an idea of what this can look like. Who's going to watch this? I mean, yea, I'll go down a rabbit hole and watch some MMA YouTube clips that have some slap fighting but to become an actual "fan" of this???

If Dana White wanted to start a new league, I would have went with bare knuckle boxing.

Love boxing, love mma. At times though I’ll cringe when the beatings get to be too bad.

I won’t watch this garbage for a second. Pure trash. This isn’t sport. No defense. Completely barbaric and stupid. And yea I know there are people that feel this way about boxing and mma. But this is n entirely different level.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Back in the Ali days, I remember watching boxing, because they'd put some of the big matches on regular TV, as soon as they made it all pay per view I seriously never watched again, except maybe 2-3 times when I was invited somewhere where they were showing it. I remember Tyson was fighting a great white hope, McNulty or something like that in the 90s, I remember going to a place to watch it and it last like 30 seconds. :)

Reactions: pitt90seven
Love boxing, love mma. At times though I’ll cringe when the beatings get to be too bad.

I won’t watch this garbage for a second. Pure trash. This isn’t sport. No defense. Completely barbaric and stupid. And yea I know there are people that feel this way about boxing and mma. But this is n entirely different level.

The no defense is what makes it uninteresting. Yea, I'll watch a few YouTube clips but I cant believe anyone would sit there and watch a full card of "fights."

If you want to get barbaric, I wouldn't mind seeing old-school pit fighting. They put 2 guys in pits a few feet away from each other and they cant move. They just have to swing on each other.

Back in the Ali days, I remember watching boxing, because they'd put some of the big matches on regular TV, as soon as they made it all pay per view I seriously never watched again, except maybe 2-3 times when I was invited somewhere where they were showing it. I remember Tyson was fighting a great white hope, McNulty or something like that in the 90s, I remember going to a place to watch it and it last like 30 seconds. :)
What big Ali fights were on regular tv? Was before my time but pretty much every poster I've ever seen says Pay-Per-View or "No Broadcast". NBC stopped airing fights before Ali's era and ABC went the theater+PPV for it's big fights sometime in the 60s as well.

The current Heavyweight Champion Tyson Fury had several great fights recently on ESPN. Can get some good action with with other champion fighters on ESPN with Lomachenko, Beterbiev, and Teofimo.

Reactions: PeetWeet2
What big Ali fights were on regular tv? Was before my time but pretty much every poster I've ever seen says Pay-Per-View or "No Broadcast". NBC stopped airing fights before Ali's era and ABC went the theater+PPV for it's big fights sometime in the 60s as well.

The current Heavyweight Champion Tyson Fury had several great fights recently on ESPN. Can get some good action with with other champion fighters on ESPN with Lomachenko, Beterbiev, and Teofimo.
In the 70s some of the fights where on TV, I remember watching them, I nor my family would ever pay per view anything. I don't know any of these current names you post. Maybe they were on replay or something? Cosell would be the announcer. I don't remember the network; I was never a big fan of it.

In the 70s some of the fights where on TV, I remember watching them, I nor my family would ever pay per view anything. I don't know any of these current names you post. Maybe they were on replay or something? Cosell would be the announcer. I don't remember the network; I was never a big fan of it.
Yeah Wild World of Sports with Cossel were usually replays a few days or weeks later, like the Ali-Liston rematch was on May 25th and aired on ABC with Cossel on May 29th.

Tyson Fury is the current 3-Belt heavyweight champ from UK and his recent fights against Deontay Wilder from US are some great fights.

Lomachenko is a Ukranian former champion with a really unique fighting style. He won 2 gold medals and went something like 400-1 in amatuers. He lost his belts Teofimo Lopez two year ago and was supposed to fight to get them back this past summer before Russia invaded and he signed up for a few months of service. He will be fighting to get them all back probably in May.

Reactions: PeetWeet2
Yeah Wild World of Sports with Cossel were usually replays a few days or weeks later, like the Ali-Liston rematch was on May 25th and aired on ABC with Cossel on May 29th.

Tyson Fury is the current 3-Belt heavyweight champ from UK and his recent fights against Deontay Wilder from US are some great fights.

Lomachenko is a Ukranian former champion with a really unique fighting style. He won 2 gold medals and went something like 400-1 in amatuers. He lost his belts Teofimo Lopez two year ago and was supposed to fight to get them back this past summer before Russia invaded and he signed up for a few months of service. He will be fighting to get them all back probably in May.
If you’re into boxing there’s nobody better to watch than Inuoe at the moment. He’s small and has barely fought in the States so he’s not as well known. But he’s as good as it gets along with Bud Crawford.

Love Loma but he looked pedestrian in his last fight. Could be partially what you said plus he’s now fighting guys that are too big. Teofimo hasn’t looked great either since he beat Loma. He’s hard to figure out.

Boxing is fairly healthy but it’s pretty spread out even without talking PPV. ESPN+, Showtime, DAZN. Probably missing something.

Occasionally some good fights on “regular” ESPN and Fox.

Reactions: Tomster6758
The no defense is what makes it uninteresting. Yea, I'll watch a few YouTube clips but I cant believe anyone would sit there and watch a full card of "fights."

If you want to get barbaric, I wouldn't mind seeing old-school pit fighting. They put 2 guys in pits a few feet away from each other and they cant move. They just have to swing on each other.
Apparently you aren’t familiar with the (relatively) new sport of phone booth fighting. Admittedly has not really caught on to this point.

Apparently you aren’t familiar with the (relatively) new sport of phone booth fighting. Admittedly has not really caught on to this point.

At least they figured out a use for all those old phone booths laying around in scrap yards somewhere.

This is fine in my opinion because you have a chance to defend yourself. Slap fighting is violence for the sake of violence. This phone booth fighting reminds me of pit fighting, which Irish blue collar workers used to do in the early 1900s. Each fighter steps into a pit up to their waste and they punch each other at close range.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
hockey season GIF

Nutting is already making plans to boost revenue at PNC Park for the loyalists.

peter mcneeley. tyson's first fight after his jail term. and if you ever want to hear wild stories, go listen to tyson talking about what he did in jail.

Do they have to "swing" on each other or can the superior grappler simply do a take down to get to mount or take the other guy's back to do a choke and end it quickly? I am not familiar with the style of contest you are referring to.

I'm a big fan of mixed phone booth wrestling. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a phone booth in years.

Do they have to "swing" on each other or can the superior grappler simply do a take down to get to mount or take the other guy's back to do a choke and end it quickly? I am not familiar with the style of contest you are referring to.

Nobody does this form of pit fighting anymore. Its a very old form of fighting but you see some off-shoots of it in some close combat fights on YouTube and this phone booth fighting is a form, I guess. To answer your question, from what I have read on it, they can only swing on each other. They are literally stuck in a pit so that's the only thing they can do. One guy is in one pit, the other guy is in a separate pit. They cant get out of their pit.

Also, off subject, I'd like to see what an MMA Royal Rumble would look like.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
I've participated in one before. It was in the mosh pit of a Pantera concert at the Igloo back in the mid late 90's.. Alcohol, drugs, testosterone - no holds barred bonding lol. My chiropractor loved when metal bands toured Pittsburgh back then lol.
That’s because metal heads didn’t know how to do it right
It’s another reason punk is superior

If you’re into boxing there’s nobody better to watch than Inuoe at the moment. He’s small and has barely fought in the States so he’s not as well known. But he’s as good as it gets along with Bud Crawford.

Love Loma but he looked pedestrian in his last fight. Could be partially what you said plus he’s now fighting guys that are too big. Teofimo hasn’t looked great either since he beat Loma. He’s hard to figure out.

Boxing is fairly healthy but it’s pretty spread out even without talking PPV. ESPN+, Showtime, DAZN. Probably missing something.

Occasionally some good fights on “regular” ESPN and Fox.
Crawford Spence make it happen

Reactions: Tomster6758
Slap
Fighting is hysterical and I will watch it. Freud was right. Sex and train wrecks is all humans want.

I've pretty much given up on Spence-Crawford. Hopefully the Davis-Garcia fight actually happens.

Nobody does this form of pit fighting anymore. Its a very old form of fighting but you see some off-shoots of it in some close combat fights on YouTube and this phone booth fighting is a form, I guess. To answer your question, from what I have read on it, they can only swing on each other. They are literally stuck in a pit so that's the only thing they can do. One guy is in one pit, the other guy is in a separate pit. They cant get out of their pit.

Also, off subject, I'd like to see what an MMA Royal Rumble would look like.
AH I know what you mean. I was imagining you were using pit fighting to mean the also weird old term cage fighting, but yes I got you.

An MMA royal rumble would be a nightmare of destroyed limbs from unexpected or team-up joint locks and concussions from unseen strikes. Try to go to the ground? While you're wrestling someone into a better pin, other people are stomping on your head. I'm actually feeling sick even imagining it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT