ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Smarter Every Day - Physics of Curling

Perhaps your penultimate post. The guy from the US broke down after edging Canada. He is to curling what Dan Jansen is to speed skating....
If anyone wants to shed a tear watch and listen to Dick Stockton (KDKA) call Jansen's gold medal race...
Love watching the sport, but had no idea it was this detail rich.

Last edited:
Perhaps your penultimate post. The guy from the US broke down after edging Canada. He is to curling what Dan Jansen is to speed skating....
If anyone wants to shed a tear watch and listen to Dick Stockton (KDKA) call Jansen's gold medal race...
Love watching the sport, but had no idea it was this detail rich.

FYI, penultimate means "next to last."

I saw an article on where they get the material for the stones. Supposedly some small island off Scotland is the sole supplier of the rare granite.

Yep, that’s it. That’s the only point of my post.

Ok, it's time to from the Pitt Alum curling team. We have 4 years to practice for the next Olympics, who is with me ?

I looked into the Pgh Curling Club but the ice hours they get at Neville Island are crazy. Seems like it has really grown in popularity though, wouldn't be surprised to see more clubs popping up.

Reactions: omega
I saw an article on where they get the material for the stones. Supposedly some small island off Scotland is the sole supplier of the rare granite.

Yep, that’s it. That’s the only point of my post.

Mr Buffett and I were watching Olympic Curling the other day.
They showed the island.

David Ferrity a former Golf Channel & major channel golf analyst who is from Scottland said " when you can see the island it's about to rain" / "when you can't see the island its raining."

That's Scottland!

They also showed a guy making the curling stones.

Mr Buffett said he'd like to carry their brooms? I told him to pay attention at home or a broom might be in his future.
women-of-curling-olympics-2014-139283423754.jpg

"save a horse ride a cowboy"
Signed: Mrs Buffett
Go CSU Rams & PITT Panthers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Saboteur
Mr Buffett and I were watching Olympic Curling the other day.
They showed the island.

David Ferrity a former Golf Channel & major channel golf analyst who is from Scottland said " when you can see the island it's about to rain" / "when you can't see the island its raining."

That's Scottland!

They also showed a guy making the curling stones.

Mr Buffett said he'd like to carry their brooms? I told him to pay attention at home or a broom might be in his future.
women-of-curling-olympics-2014-139283423754.jpg

"save a horse ride a cowboy"
Signed: Mrs Buffett
Go CSU Rams & PITT Panthers!
Ferrity seems like he'd be a hoot to hang with.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT