ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sous Vide Chicken Wings

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
I made chicken wings this weekend. I sous vided them the night before, just light seasoning and garlic salt, then put them the sous vide machine at 160deg F for about 2 hours.

Then there is this key step. Take them out of the bags, dry them off a bit, but put them on a rack and leave them dry overnight, at least for 8 hours.

With this weekend's temperatures, it was easy to put them on a rack, covered in a box on a table on my deck.

Then crank up the fryer, to about 380deg F for no more than 5 minutes. Crispy, still tender inside. Sauce accordingly.

I make a homemade Buffalo sauce using my homemade hot sauce.

I made chicken wings this weekend. I sous vided them the night before, just light seasoning and garlic salt, then put them the sous vide machine at 160deg F for about 2 hours.

Then there is this key step. Take them out of the bags, dry them off a bit, but put them on a rack and leave them dry overnight, at least for 8 hours.

With this weekend's temperatures, it was easy to put them on a rack, covered in a box on a table on my deck.

Then crank up the fryer, to about 380deg F for no more than 5 minutes. Crispy, still tender inside. Sauce accordingly.

Do you mind sharing your hot sauce recipe?

Sounds great, but seems like a lot of work. I've become a fan of smoking wings at 230-250 for ~90 minutes and then finishing on the grill or in a hot oven using the broiler to crust. I hate dealing with my fryer, but smoking them and finishing in the fryer can't be beat.

Can't you put them in the fryer at the start and get the same soft inside with crispy outside?

I am I the only questioning myself for not knowing what a sous vide machine is? It sounds sexy.

I am I the only questioning myself for not knowing what a sous vide machine is? It sounds sexy.
It is essentially a water circulator where you can keep temperature to the precise 0.5 degrees.

You put the food into plastic bags, pull a vacuum, then stick it into a water bath at certain temperature. For example, you can put a nice ribeye with say garlic, rosemary, some butter and salt and pepper. Put it the bag, pull vacuum (keeps it submerged) and set for 128 deg F, you can cook it for hours and it doesn;t get any warmer, a perfect medium rare. Then bring it out, dry the steak off and quickly sear in a cast iron pan.

I am "meh" for it with steaks, but thick porks chops and chicken breasts it is great. You can infuse flavor, and cook it at a low temperature until it is done, and then quickly throw it on the grill and you get grilled pork chops or chicken breasts without drying them out.

I just was experimenting with this this past weekend, next time I am going to follow the same steps but finish in a hot oven and see if I can achieve the same crispy exterior without the mess and extra calories.

Do you mind sharing your hot sauce recipe?
Why I like cooking as opposed to baking is baking you need ratios and precise measurements and time.

For the hot sauce, I grow my own Cayenne and Tabasco peppers. In say October, I harvest them, but them in a large glass container, with some salt and water (brine) cover the lid part with a coffee filter. Then I store it in a dark place for a bout 10 days. You get some fermentation. Then I go either 1 of 2 directions. I let it ferment longer for like a tabasco sauce, or then I take them in another container, add more salt and vinegar and blend them and let them sit for a few days. I seperate out the solids, then add a bit of xanthan gum (keeps the sauce from seperating) blend it then bottle it.

Then I use that, and a combo of the two sauces, butter, maybe a bit of garlic, and voila, Buffalo Wing sauce!

I am "meh" for it with steaks, but thick porks chops and chicken breasts it is great. You can infuse flavor, and cook it at a low temperature until it is done, and then quickly throw it on the grill and you get grilled pork chops or chicken breasts without drying them out.
Sounds like this might be a Valentine's Day present for my wife. I'll reap the benefits.

Why I like cooking as opposed to baking is baking you need ratios and precise measurements and time.

For the hot sauce, I grow my own Cayenne and Tabasco peppers. In say October, I harvest them, but them in a large glass container, with some salt and water (brine) cover the lid part with a coffee filter. Then I store it in a dark place for a bout 10 days. You get some fermentation. Then I go either 1 of 2 directions. I let it ferment longer for like a tabasco sauce, or then I take them in another container, add more salt and vinegar and blend them and let them sit for a few days. I seperate out the solids, then add a bit of xanthan gum (keeps the sauce from seperating) blend it then bottle it.

Then I use that, and a combo of the two sauces, butter, maybe a bit of garlic, and voila, Buffalo Wing sauce!
I'm going to try this for the first time this year. My chili peppers have just set their first peppers. The jalapenos have a couple of mature peppers on them. I have six Roma tomato plants just full of 'maters too. Going to can salsa, tomatoes and pasta sauce.

Reactions: Pitt1975
Masha doesn't like Chicken Wings and won’t cook them. So here is my recipe, Chicken Wings for 1, in 4 easy steps:

(1) Open the Uber Eats app.

(2) Order the Spicy Wings from Honey’s Kettle Fried Chicken.

(3) Buzz gate open when delivery person buzzes.

(4) Eat.

I usually order Masha a spicy shrimp curry with yellow curry sauce from Thai Dishes at the same time. When we were in Bangkok, we tried to eat at least meal a day with our guide. Most restaurants there have a less spicy menu for Western guests, but Masha eats from the “local” menu and usually chooses the hottest option. I only remember one time in nine years where the food was too hot for her. (I also choose the hottest option, but from the Western menu. I occasionally have tried hers. There is no comparison.)

Sounds great, but seems like a lot of work. I've become a fan of smoking wings at 230-250 for ~90 minutes and then finishing on the grill or in a hot oven using the broiler to crust. I hate dealing with my fryer, but smoking them and finishing in the fryer can't be beat.
Honestly, I like them smoked. First had smoked wings in Delaware and I have been making them that way. Don't bother frying after.

Cook in a bag. I loved those when I was a kid. In the freezer section. My two Favorites were veal Parm and Salisbury steak.

Reactions: USN_Panther
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT