ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Steelers 3-7

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
If the season ended today, the Steelers would have pick 8,33,and 38. That’s tremendous. It’s like 3 1st round picks.

Sunday was a great loss. I hope it continues, however the schedule really lightens up.

Watch them end up with 7 wins. Ugh.

I'd be ok with that if it was because Kenny suddenly became better and threw a dozen TD passes. I liked him as the Steelers pick, I just hope he can step it up, the team sucks, but he hasn't been good, then again, he gets little support, like throwing a perfect long TD strike and his guy drops it.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
All I know is that this all makes for an enjoyable no-stress viewing experience.

You kind of head into the game wanting a loss to help the draft position but inherently start rooting for the win as you’re watching and they’re doing good. But when things turn decidedly sour like they did in the 2nd half, oh well/no worries, we’re still on track for that decent draft position. Win-Win situation at this point.

I'd be ok with that if it was because Kenny suddenly became better and threw a dozen TD passes. I liked him as the Steelers pick, I just hope he can step it up, the team sucks, but he hasn't been good, then again, he gets little support, like throwing a perfect long TD strike and his guy drops it.
There’s the constant debate about what/who to blame most, lack of talent, OC Canada, HC Tomlin, etc.

It’s obvious we need an upgrade in talent but even with that, I’m skeptical about Pickett’s development under Canada. Sure wish there was better OC and/QB coach to bring him along.

All I know is that this all makes for an enjoyable no-stress viewing experience.

You kind of head into the game wanting a loss to help the draft position but inherently start rooting for the win as you’re watching and they’re doing good. But when things turn decidedly sour like they did in the 2nd half, oh well/no worries, we’re still on track for that decent draft position. Win-Win situation at this point.
I know what you mean, but when I'm watching I can't root for a loss. But this year, I expect a loss, so you're right about no stress

Would be nice to trade Diontae too, but that won't happen. Team needs influx of talent and should have some cap space .
Have to draft OL, ILB, and DL. Maybe sign a CB on FA market.
Team will be decent next year in Pickett's second season.

Reactions: bobfree and 303vND
There’s the constant debate about what/who to blame most, lack of talent, OC Canada, HC Tomlin, etc.

It’s obvious we need an upgrade in talent but even with that, I’m skeptical about Pickett’s development under Canada. Sure wish there was better OC and/QB coach to bring him along.
You gotta invest in your number #1 pick. You don’t do with with Matt Canada. You just can’t. I could see the Steelers bringing in Whipple because that’s the kind of nepotism they seem to embrace. But they gotta do better.

Would be nice to trade Diontae too, but that won't happen. Team needs influx of talent and should have some cap space .
Have to draft OL, ILB, and DL. Maybe sign a CB on FA market.
Team will be decent next year in Pickett's second season.
That’s funny, only because I have Diontae on my FF team, I was thinking this morning that it would have been great if we could have gave the Bears both Claypool and Johnson and gotten their 1 instead of the 2.

I know, not even remotely realistic but after Johnson got me no FF pts to speak of again, off the wall thoughts creep into your mind.

If the season ended today, the Steelers would have pick 8,33,and 38. That’s tremendous. It’s like 3 1st round picks.

Sunday was a great loss. I hope it continues, however the schedule really lightens up.

honestly fk, i understand your point and it's valid, on paper at least. but i just dont trust tomlin (who now will have more say so on draft day) that getting a top 10 pick will make that much of a difference vs a top 20 pick..
And we dont seem to have a real GM with this internal hire Khan. In theory, yes, a pick at 8 should pay off so much more than a pick at 18 but look who's calling the shots on draft day and look at his results..

I just dont hold my breathe that now that we have a top 10 pick, we are going to reap the rewards..

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
You gotta invest in your number #1 pick. You don’t do with with Matt Canada. You just can’t. I could see the Steelers bringing in Whipple because that’s the kind of nepotism they seem to embrace. But they gotta do better.
Right now, the offense is predictable and guys aren't open very often. Kenny spent five or six months as a third-stringer and was thrown into the fray without much notice. It's pretty wild that Cincy actually quit blitzing because Kenny is so good under pressure. Canada needs to go if the organization won't nudge Tomlin out.

Unless there is a player they really, really want, I'd try trade their pick for two in the 20s (not necessarily both being for this year). That gives them 2 picks in the 20s, and 2 in the 30s, which would be pretty good.

Kenny kind of looks like a low-level starter or a good backup. I just don't think the physical tools are there (other than his speed, which has translated better than I thought it would). I'll get harangued for saying that now, but it is what it is.

Anyway, you obviously have to hit tackle with your first pick. You can't afford not to, and there are some good ones available. I don't know if Moore can move to guard, but it would be fantastic if he could and you could kill two birds with one stone. At the very least, he's a serviceable backup.

Where they go from there is anybody's guess. There is no shortage of holes on this team. I could see an argument for any two of DL/OG/CB/MLB... and *barf* WR in the second round. Depends on what happens in free agency.

I love the notion that the “schedule lightens up” as if the Steelers are not terrible.
lol, was thinking the same. the teams we play arent in the top 1/2. well ok but we arent in the top 3 quarters.. and those "lighter" teams are looking at their schedule and seeing the steelers and saying the same.

@Colts doesn't look so easy now huh ? They almost beat the Eagles.
@Falcons same .
Ravens twice still
Raiders always give us trouble and a finale with Deshaun Watson.

lol, was thinking the same. the teams we play arent in the top 1/2. well ok but we arent in the top 3 quarters.. and those "lighter" teams are looking at their schedule and seeing the steelers and saying the same.
Yeah, speaking of that schedule lightening up, I bet ESPN is ecstatic about that upcoming Colts-Steelers MNF matchup. At least they have that Jeff Saturday storyline to help promote it.

Kenny kind of looks like a low-level starter or a good backup. I just don't think the physical tools are there (other than his speed, which has translated better than I thought it would). I'll get harangued for saying that now, but it is what it is.

Anyway, you obviously have to hit tackle with your first pick. You can't afford not to, and there are some good ones available. I don't know if Moore can move to guard, but it would be fantastic if he could and you could kill two birds with one stone. At the very least, he's a serviceable backup.

Where they go from there is anybody's guess. There is no shortage of holes on this team. I could see an argument for any two of DL/OG/CB/MLB... and *barf* WR in the second round. Depends on what happens in free agency.
I think Kenny will be just fine. We personally saw how much he improved. My concern was speed of the game and arm, but that doesn't seem to be an issue. He's been thrown to the wolves behind a sieve of an offensive line.

The absolutely have to go best OL with their first pick. If they don't the entire front office needs fired. I wouldn't mind taking another with one of the 2nd round picks either. Then I switch to defense, particularly MLB and DL.

I think Kenny will be just fine. We personally saw how much he improved. My concern was speed of the game and arm, but that doesn't seem to be an issue. He's been thrown to the wolves behind a sieve of an offensive line.

The absolutely have to go best OL with their first pick. If they don't the entire front office needs fired. I wouldn't mind taking another with one of the 2nd round picks either. Then I switch to defense, particularly MLB and DL.

He's been overcompensating for his lack of arm strength, and it's caused some inaccuracies: Driving a lot of balls into the ground, etc. I also don't know how much the DB's have to respect his arm, which allows them to not have to account for certain things and makes it all the more difficult. It's augmented by the elements. I think we can make the playoffs with him, but I don't think we could ever be a championship contender with him.

The disdain for modern offense is definitely a total Yinzer thing. It's not a coincidence that Pitt has 9 TD passes and the Steelers have 7 TD passes this year. They had good passing games in recent years stat wise based on QB talent, not schemes, even 39-year-old Ben was superior, Whipple's play calling which sickened Narduzzi was better than what they do now. If the Steelers weren't so stupid, they'd hire an OC off some team like KC and totally burn their current playbooks, and Narduzzi should do the same, but they won't. Too obsessed with stupid Yinzer Rock pounding GARBAGE.

There's definitely something really weak about the Steelers pass route scheming. I remember watching Miami vs the Steelers and seeing guys running in space wide open across the middle, Tua hitting these guys in stride 10-20 yards down the field for uncontested catches, thinking that if Kenny had to make those throws, he could, but with the Steelers routes, everyone is a tight window where they have to fight for the catch. is it our receivers are bad, or we don't scheme the guys open?

I love the notion that the “schedule lightens up” as if the Steelers are not terrible.
The point being that the schedule is significantly lighter than it was, and they managed to win 3 games. And now Watt is back and he’s worth an extra win or 2. So it’s conceivable to think they can win a few more.

3-14 would be awesome. But seems unlikely. 5-12 would be my bet if I had to place one. But there are scenarios I could see where they win more.

He's been overcompensating for his lack of arm strength, and it's caused some inaccuracies: Driving a lot of balls into the ground, etc. I also don't know how much the DB's have to respect his arm, which allows them to not have to account for certain things and makes it all the more difficult. It's augmented by the elements. I think we can make the playoffs with him, but I don't think we could ever be a championship contender with him.
See, I don't think he lacks arm strength. In fact, what I've seen is he has enough to become a good QB. He's gonna need some time to get more comfortable at this level, and they need to get better around him. It's still too early to make any definitive judgments, but I'm encouraged by what I've seen.

He's playing behind a trash OL and teams have zero concern with the Steeler running game.

Reactions: 303vND
There's definitely something really weak about the Steelers pass route scheming. I remember watching Miami vs the Steelers and seeing guys running in space wide open across the middle, Tua hitting these guys in stride 10-20 yards down the field for uncontested catches, thinking that if Kenny had to make those throws, he could, but with the Steelers routes, everyone is a tight window where they have to fight for the catch. is it our receivers are bad, or we don't scheme the guys open?

That game was probably eye-opening for a lot of Steelers fans. I'm a Tua-guy so I have watched every Dolphins game for the last 3 years. McDaniel is legit. He uses a ton of run action (think play action except the OL run blocks with pulling guards, etc.) which freezes LBs and lets Tua hit the WR in stride over the middle. These are schemed up, easy throws that we don't do enough of. Also uses lots of motion and routinely goes for it on 3rd and 4th down, even from his side of the field.

Tua is a lot better than Kenny. In terms of processing, release speed, accuracy (Kenny's best attribute), manipulating defenders, and even arm talent (Tua's is average, Kenny probably a little below). But our scheme asks a lot of Kenny: tons of throws outside the hashes, WR in the same place, etc. We constantly put him in down and long situations through penalties and running on 2nd and long. He's just being asked to do a lot right now and that's not conducive to anyone, especially not a young QB on a medium talent offense.

I think Kenny can win a championship. He's very good against pressure (which is usually slow to develop) and stinks in a clean pocket. That can be cleaned up with more reps and film. His arm is good enough and he can escape pressure. Guys like Jimmy G have gotten close with good team talent and a friendly scheme. Tannehill has won a ton of games and he's not more talented than Kenny. No reason he can't ride a #1 or #2 seed with a good defense the way that Ben did in 2007.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
Kenny’s arm strength is absolutely not an issue
That’s silly

Reactions: 303vND and jctrack
That game was probably eye-opening for a lot of Steelers fans. I'm a Tua-guy so I have watched every Dolphins game for the last 3 years. McDaniel is legit. He uses a ton of run action (think play action except the OL run blocks with pulling guards, etc.) which freezes LBs and lets Tua hit the WR in stride over the middle. These are schemed up, easy throws that we don't do enough of. Also uses lots of motion and routinely goes for it on 3rd and 4th down, even from his side of the field.

Tua is a lot better than Kenny. In terms of processing, release speed, accuracy (Kenny's best attribute), manipulating defenders, and even arm talent (Tua's is average, Kenny probably a little below). But our scheme asks a lot of Kenny: tons of throws outside the hashes, WR in the same place, etc. We constantly put him in down and long situations through penalties and running on 2nd and long. He's just being asked to do a lot right now and that's not conducive to anyone, especially not a young QB on a medium talent offense.

I think Kenny can win a championship. He's very good against pressure (which is usually slow to develop) and stinks in a clean pocket. That can be cleaned up with more reps and film. His arm is good enough and he can escape pressure. Guys like Jimmy G have gotten close with good team talent and a friendly scheme. Tannehill has won a ton of games and he's not more talented than Kenny. No reason he can't ride a #1 or #2 seed with a good defense the way that Ben did in 2007.
Tua is also on his 3rd season while Kenny is a rookie
Tua didn’t look good until this year where they added weapons for him and a better scheme

Tua didn’t look good until this year where they added weapons for him and a better scheme
Tua was being labelled a bust this time last year. amazing what good Wrs (Hill) and experience do for a QB..

No, Tua was in the Matt Ryan/Matt Stafford/Kyler zone as a rookie passer. He was by far the best non-Burrow/non-Herbert rookie at least since 2019.

And his team talent was way worse than Kenny's. They gave something like 1,000 routes to Isaiah Ford, Mack Hollins, Durham Smythe, Adam Shaheen, and Albert Wilson. Those guys are nobodies.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Tua was being labelled a bust this time last year. amazing what good Wrs (Hill) and experience do for a QB..

The Tua bust label came from stupid people that only know football through social media. It was literally all Patriots fans and guys that see 1 throw on Twitter and think they know everything. I mean, plus the Dolphins' owner illegally recruiting Brady and the coach recruiting Deshaun Watson.

But Tua was not a bust given his play on the field. He was a better thrower than Jalen Hurts and was pretty much even with Derek Carr despite playing with nobodies and for a coach who openly tried to kill his career.

Tomlin and Colbert preferred shiny new sportscars instead of dump trucks and road graders. The results have been disastrous.

Definitely mimics my thoughts when watching Steelers games as well, and the Miami game you mention is a perfect example. I remember thinking the same thing when watching that game, Tua continuously had guys wide open down the middle of the field to throw to. That is hardly ever the case with the Steelers. There has to be more to it than just level of talent.

Reactions: Pitt79
Kenny’s arm strength is absolutely not an issue
That’s silly
Well I’ll say this Soufie. Analysts are starting to wonder about his arm strength. And I think that’s a product of him not being able to step into throws because his protection is breaking down. That long completion to Pickens on Sunday is an example. It almost didn’t get there. I heard people on the radio talking about that throw. But here’s the thing, he was the #1 QB last year and I just heard he’d be the #3 this year if the draft were today. So are the NFL scouts dumber than geniuses on message boards or local Pittsburgh media personalities? Is he expected to complete 25 yard outs across the field with a defender in his face? Because he did, and it still wasn’t good enough for some.

Well I’ll say this Soufie. Analysts are starting to wonder about his arm strength. And I think that’s a product of him not being able to step into throws because his protection is breaking down. That long completion to Pickens on Sunday is an example. It almost didn’t get there. I heard people on the radio talking about that throw. But here’s the thing, he was the #1 QB last year and I just heard he’d be the #3 this year if the draft were today. So are the NFL scouts dumber than geniuses on message boards or local Pittsburgh media personalities? Is he expected to complete 25 yard outs across the field with a defender in his face? Because he did, and it still wasn’t good enough for some.
Analyst and sports talk folks say stupid things all the time to fill air time .

Kenny has that gamer in him- which can’t be taught

The OC and OL pass protection are his biggest problems now until he gets the reps under his built and keep learning and processing .

He definitely missed throws in the second half - but he missed them to safe spots which was progress

The disdain for modern offense is definitely a total Yinzer thing. It's not a coincidence that Pitt has 9 TD passes and the Steelers have 7 TD passes this year. They had good passing games in recent years stat wise based on QB talent, not schemes, even 39-year-old Ben was superior, Whipple's play calling which sickened Narduzzi was better than what they do now. If the Steelers weren't so stupid, they'd hire an OC off some team like KC and totally burn their current playbooks, and Narduzzi should do the same, but they won't. Too obsessed with stupid Yinzer Rock pounding GARBAGE.
While I do agree with overall point of you post, I disagree 100% with the concept of hiring an OC from a team like KC. I had this same type of a discussion with a couple of friends last night some of them even suggested the guy from TB. I say, NO to both of them. Do you really think that KC and TB's offenses are as successful as they are because of their OC??? My friends made me laugh because they suggested that TB OC Byron Leftwich would be perfect for Pittsburgh. Do you REALLY, REALLY think that Tom Brady (probably the G.O.A.T. at his position) listens to anything that Byron Leftwich says to him? I am pretty sure that he looks at him, nods his head and then gooes out and does what he feels is best. Same thing in KC. Do you really think that Patrick Mahomes listens to what Eric Bieniemy says to him in regards to which play to run? C'MON MAN!
My wife could call the plays for TB and KC and be just as successful. Brady and Mahomes have been blessed with incredible talent all around them for years and their success has little to do with their OC's.

Definitely mimics my thoughts when watching Steelers games as well, and the Miami game you mention is a perfect example. I remember thinking the same thing when watching that game, Tua continuously had guys wide open down the middle of the field to throw to. That is hardly ever the case with the Steelers. There has to be more to it than just level of talent.
Absolutely, I'm not saying Kenny is as good as Tua, I'm not comparing the two at all, I'm comparing the throws they are asked to make. and that's my beef, Steelers rarely get any REALLY open throws in the middle like Miami had that game, almost never, and Miami had that constantly that night

While I do agree with overall point of you post, I disagree 100% with the concept of hiring an OC from a team like KC. I had this same type of a discussion with a couple of friends last night some of them even suggested the guy from TB. I say, NO to both of them. Do you really think that KC and TB's offenses are as successful as they are because of their OC??? My friends made me laugh because they suggested that TB OC Byron Leftwich would be perfect for Pittsburgh. Do you REALLY, REALLY think that Tom Brady (probably the G.O.A.T. at his position) listens to anything that Byron Leftwich says to him? I am pretty sure that he looks at him, nods his head and then gooes out and does what he feels is best. Same thing in KC. Do you really think that Patrick Mahomes listens to what Eric Bieniemy says to him in regards to which play to run? C'MON MAN!
My wife could call the plays for TB and KC and be just as successful. Brady and Mahomes have been blessed with incredible talent all around them for years and their success has little to do with their OC's.
The play design and calling is the OC’s job
Not coaching the qb

I'm not talking about who calls the plays, I'm talking about the schemes and play design, I want something with nothing in common with the Steelers playbooks of the last decade, something totally different. Brady and Mahomes don't design the plays, even if they do call them.

Seems more like one first round and two second round picks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT