ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Steelers Draft Position

NCanton Panther

All American
Sep 22, 2001
So from what I’m reading today, Steelers draft position as things stand right now is 14. Looking at team records, there’s 7 team with records worse than 5-8 and then 7 teams including Steelers with 5-8 record. Anyone know why Steelers currently come out last on that totem pole of 5-8 teams. Maybe SOS and Steelers have had the toughest schedule among those 7 teams.

A side note of interest, Eagles currently have a top 4 or 5 pick as they own New Orleans pick.

• Wow
Reactions: jctrack
So from what I’m reading today, Steelers draft position as things stand right now is 14. Looking at team records, there’s 7 team with records worse than 5-8 and then 7 teams including Steelers with 5-8 record. Anyone know why Steelers currently come out last on that totem pole of 5-8 teams. Maybe SOS and Steelers have had the toughest schedule among those 7 teams.

A side note of interest, Eagles currently have a top 4 or 5 pick as they own New Orleans pick.
Yeah I don’t know. I can’t imagine having a stronger SOS schedule given they play the NFC South teams. But surely the panthers, Falcons and saints are behind them.

Wow. The Steelers have 3 games left with 5-8 teams. Carolina, Raiders and Browns.

It is SOS
Nice find. Definitely not based on recent games but I figured the Steelers SOS had to be pretty decent based on early season opponents.

Still a lot can change between now and end of season based on who we play. As mentioned in a thread a week or so ago, this no stress game watching not much caring about the outcome isn’t bad…….at least for one year, let’s not make a habit of it.

I think 7-10 seems about right for where we finish. Where that puts the draft positioning, I have no idea. Last year, that record yielded picks 8, 9, 10, and 11, I believe. But this is obviously a new season.

Though fun to speculate, it's probably impossible to predict which positions we'll address in the draft vs free agency. Looks like another $8M is coming off the books in the form of Mitch Trubisky.

I think 7-10 seems about right for where we finish. Where that puts the draft positioning, I have no idea. Last year, that record yielded picks 8, 9, 10, and 11, I believe. But this is obviously a new season.

Though fun to speculate, it's probably impossible to predict which positions we'll address in the draft vs free agency. Looks like another $8M is coming off the books in the form of Mitch Trubisky.
I don’t know who’s out there but get a stud ILB in FA. Someone who can lead your team in tackles every week instead of a safety.

It will change every time there is a game. SOS breaks ties and weakest picks 1st. Steelers have stronger strength of schedule of the 8 loss teams due to Buff, Jets, Miami, NE, Cincy twice, Balt,... As we play Cleve, Car and Raiders its gonna even out some while others play better teams.

Last edited:
I hope they lose out. Sometimes you win by losing. Winning out gets them nothing but another mediocre draft position.

Reactions: MajorMajors
The action path is so simple.

Shut Kenny down for the season. He’s had multiple concussions now.

Sacrifice Tru and Rudolph to the wolves the rest of the way. Who the hell cares what happens to them.

Trade up if needed to the get the very highest pick and/or more picks . Dangle Najee, Muth, Diontae to trade… all are good players but none are difference makers and pretty easily replaced

Take the best OL. Plural. I’ll say 3 of the first 5 picks at least. The league is about scoring points. The defense is getting abused for the final Raven drive but look at the score!!! They did a good enough job (and well they should, facing 3rd string QB, but still). The offense is the problem! Specifically the OL!

Has a team ever won the Super Bowl, and had the first overall pick (or just a top pick)? Reminds me of when the Lakers drafted James Worthy first overall with my Cavs’ pick via Ted Stepien…

Overall, the philosophy needs to be that next year isn't the year.

So if there is an OT available that they would grade as a 9/10 and a NT they would grade as a 7/10, I feel like they've had a recent propensity of saying, "Hmm, well we think Dan Moore is okay at LT, but what we have at NT is really bad. We better take the NT."

But, in my opinion, that should not be the approach. Take the better player, even if it means sucking more in the immediate future.

New Orleans traded what now looks to be a top 5 pick, for Trevor Penning. A small school right tackle that has been injured all season and who some project to end up at guard. Ouch.

I mean if it wasn't for the AFC South, the Steelers likely have 3 wins right now.

As far as the draft goes.......DO NOT REACH FOR A POSITION!! DO NOT REACH FOR A POSITION! DO NOT REACH FOR A POSITION! Especially with a top 15 pick. CB, OL, DL, ILB are all serious needs. You don't just take an OL to take an OL. They need DL just as bad. Where they are picking, a CB might be your best bet.

The Steelers also will have a top 10 pick in the second round, so likely will have 3 picks in the top 50.

No way Jalen Carter is still there at but they need help on the DL. #13 might be a little high, but sure could’ve used a 350lb Siaki Ika in the middle of their D yesterday.
As frustrated as we get watching the run defense get shredded, this unit has allowed 20 points or less in 8 of 13 games. The offense has scored 20 points or more in 6 of 13 games. My focus would be to build around Pickett and the offense.

As frustrated as we get watching the run defense get shredded, this unit has allowed 20 points or less in 8 of 13 games. The offense has scored 20 points or more in 6 of 13 games. My focus would be to build around Pickett and the offense.
Exactly. Multiple OL. Not end of draft wildcards either, do it with the top picks. Watch the play Kenny got pummeled on. Complete OL failure on that play.

Reactions: andypappas
I mean if it wasn't for the AFC South, the Steelers likely have 3 wins right now.

As far as the draft goes.......DO NOT REACH FOR A POSITION!! DO NOT REACH FOR A POSITION! DO NOT REACH FOR A POSITION! Especially with a top 15 pick. CB, OL, DL, ILB are all serious needs. You don't just take an OL to take an OL. They need DL just as bad. Where they are picking, a CB might be your best bet.

The Steelers also will have a top 10 pick in the second round, so likely will have 3 picks in the top 50.
This team "needs" just about every spot other than TE, RB, FS and OLB. I was hoping they'd get a top 3 pick and trade down to get even more picks, but that's not gonna be possible.

It's amazing how bad they have drafted lately. You should never expect any individual late round pick to do anything, but once every few years you should be finding good players late. When is the last time the Steelers found a starter in the late rounds, let alone a star? Despite drafting WRs early every year, they have no depth there, and the guy they paid isn't very good. I don't want them to lose for draft position as much as I want the organization to have a much needed wake up call.

The unfortunate reality is that this draft isn't going to be very strong for OL and nobody worth bothering with will be on the board anywhere close to where they pick. For OT, Skoronski (NW) would be an obvious win if they could get him but he'll be gone really early. Paris Johnson (O$U) might be there but he only has one season of snaps at LT. There is also Broderick Jones (Georgia) who could go in the first round but I don't know as much about him. Gets thin after that. Interior linemen will be a crap shoot. I do like the center from Ohio State. NFL doesn't usually draft that position in the first round so maybe he's there on day 2.

What they really need to do is find a veteran OL-man and WR in free agency that can bring along some of the younger guys. Really think the lack of leadership at key positions is hampering development.

Agree. The Steelers need help everywhere. They should literally take BPA on every pick, except for FS and QB. Don't take a RB at all. No TE. Just sign guys off the street in the Spring. It should be open season on every other roster spot on the team.

I love the guy, and hope he proves me wrong, but when I watch Pickett and the rest of the NFL, he reminds me more of Colt McCoy so far than he does a franchise cornerstone. Next year should be all about seeing what he's made of. Surround him with talent, and let him prove he's worth building around.

ADVERTISEMENT