ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Steelers off-season thread

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
Steelers made another signing last night, this time former Chiefs LG Stefen Wisniewski. From Pittsburgh, went to Central Catholic and then Penn State. Two-time Super Bowl champion with Philly and KC, actually started all three playoff games for the Chiefs this past season.

I like the move; solid depth addition on the offensive line following the losses of Foster and Finney. If Banner or Okorafor don’t work out at RT since Feiler will likely slide to LG, they can move him back to tackle and put Wisniewski at left guard.

I’ll keep updating this as the signings/cuts/trades roll in.

Everything internal so far:

• 03/18
    Tendered offers to restricted free agents OT Matt Feiler & CB Mike Hilton.
  • 03/18
    Signed LS Kameron Canaday to a two-year contract; terminated the contract of FB Roosevelt Nix.
  • 03/18
    Signed OT Zach Banner to a new one-year contract.
  • 03/17
    Placed LB Ryan Shazier on the Reserve/Retired List
  • 03/16
    G Ramon Foster announces his retirement from the NFL.
  • 03/16
    Terminated the contracts of LB Mark Barron, LB Anthony Chickillo and WR Johnny Holton.
  • 03/16
    Placed franchise tag on LB Bud Dupree

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I still never got over the Steelers passing on Steve Wisniewski in 1989. Finally the Steelers drafted a Pitt guy and Ricketts was the only Panther O-linemen from that decade to be a bust.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
who are these idiots wanting jameis? arians gets more out of QB's than just about anyone, and he gave up on winston. wth do these people think fichtner knows that BA doesn't? i'd take flacco over winston, and flacco blows.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
Ricketts and Worley, yikes!

"The only running backs who have possessed more natural physical ability in recent years are Eric Dickerson, Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson," wrote draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr.

The first round as projected by Thomas George of The Times.
26 LOS ANGELES RAMS (From the Buffalo Bills) Tom Ricketts, OT, Pitt Ranked behind only Mandarich among linemen, Ricketts blocks for the run and the pass equally well. The Rams' offensive scheme still relies first on linemen like Ricketts

Everything internal so far:

• 03/18
    Tendered offers to restricted free agents OT Matt Feiler & CB Mike Hilton.
  • 03/18
    Signed LS Kameron Canaday to a two-year contract; terminated the contract of FB Roosevelt Nix.
  • 03/18
    Signed OT Zach Banner to a new one-year contract.
  • 03/17
    Placed LB Ryan Shazier on the Reserve/Retired List
  • 03/16
    G Ramon Foster announces his retirement from the NFL.
  • 03/16
    Terminated the contracts of LB Mark Barron, LB Anthony Chickillo and WR Johnny Holton.
  • 03/16
    Placed franchise tag on LB Bud Dupree
Thanks, great rundown.

Just signed Eric Ebron. I’d have to think it’s unlikely they bring back Vannnett now. Wonder if they still go after a tight end in the draft?

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Hope Wis (of PSU and CC) has something left in tank. His contract was dirt cheap. Hometown 'discount'?
I’d like to think he does. I got to watch him as a Chief; he was solid down the stretch and started all of their playoff games.

Maybe asking him to start an entire season would be too much, but I hope he can be a solid depth guy who can fill in when needed to.

Ricketts and Worley, yikes!

"The only running backs who have possessed more natural physical ability in recent years are Eric Dickerson, Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson," wrote draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr.

The first round as projected by Thomas George of The Times.
26 LOS ANGELES RAMS (From the Buffalo Bills) Tom Ricketts, OT, Pitt Ranked behind only Mandarich among linemen, Ricketts blocks for the run and the pass equally well. The Rams' offensive scheme still relies first on linemen like Ricketts
Mandarich was an even bigger bust than Ricketts.

who are these idiots wanting jameis? arians gets more out of QB's than just about anyone, and he gave up on winston. wth do these people think fichtner knows that BA doesn't? i'd take flacco over winston, and flacco blows.
He had the best game by a QB that I ever saw in our ACC debut. But that was 6 years ago.

Reactions: pitt90seven
Just signed Eric Ebron. I’d have to think it’s unlikely they bring back Vannnett now. Wonder if they still go after a tight end in the draft?

Vannett was a terrible blocker and didn’t add much in the pass game. He was a patch when McDonald was out. This draft is pretty thin on TEs. Not saying they don’t take one if one drops but Ebron gives them flexibility to wait or not take one.

Jameis is the proverbial feast or famine guy. In fact, I'd call him feast and famine. The guy throws pick sixes like they're going out of style, yet he passed for 5,0000 yards. He must be one of those guys that thinks he can squeeze every pass in there with his magic arm.

Jameis is the proverbial feast or famine guy. In fact, I'd call him feast and famine. The guy throws pick sixes like they're going out of style, yet he passed for 5,0000 yards. He must be one of those guys that thinks he can squeeze every pass in there with his magic arm.

I would not want to see him as my starting QB without Mike Evans and Godwin to chuck it to. Not at $20M+ per year anyway.

he's got a 10 cent head. always has. remember jimbo losing his mind on the sidelines after all the dumb mistakes? don't get me wrong - if it's jameis or duck, i'll take jameis.

but cam is sitting at home doing nothing (well, guess we all are). i'd take my chances with cam being healthy over jameis any day. i'd take red rifle over jameis any day.

Reactions: Ski11585
I like Ebron, especially for the money. It's $6M AAV over 2 years but probably most of it is due in the first year so we can cut him if it doesn't work out. He's a good weapon, especially in the red zone where we have struggled for years. Not much of a blocker but those "do it all" TEs are really few and far between these days. And with how the game has changed honestly I would just rather have an athletic, pass catching TE and run out a 3rd tackle at my other TE if I had to.

That DL Wormley is also a decent pickup for basically a 6th round pick (gave 5th and got 7th). Pretty good run stuffer. Probably coached up well on the Ravens.

Reactions: Ski11585
ADVERTISEMENT