ADVERTISEMENT

OT Steelers Pats

The Steelers virtually can not get a WC. It's either win or the division or bust.

If Washington beats Tennessee or Giants beat Colts....and then that team wins the week 17 matchup against each other, then Steelers get the WC. Neither of these teams are world beaters. Washington is playing for the WC and even the NFC east. Thr Giants play hard even with a crap record. At the end of the year, shit teams pull off upsets because they get bums on their rosters who are busting their ass trying to get roster looks for next year.

Today was different due to New England committing a lot of penalties and most weren’t judgement calls. So many on this board overlook what the penalties were when complaining about the refs or how the calls are lopsided, the Pats had five false starts, a delay of game, illegal formation and illegal man downfield penalties. That’s eight penalties right there!
no one can say that was a lobsided ref game...and i do alot lol..but they called it right for the most part

Patriots offensive line from a few years ago was the best in the game and never made mistakes. They were the least penalized unit in the league. Today their oline wasn’t very good

Oh it isn't about loyalty to the AFC North. I just want a team that will go up there, get in Brady's face, and force him into turnovers. Scoring 17 points will not get it done against New England in the playoffs. What I saw today was a front four that was unable to get in Brady's face for most of the game. And an offense that struggled to score against a mediocre defense.
So the fact that the Steelers actually, you know, beat them, doesn't give you any hope? Not sure about you, but I could give 2 sh*ts who plays them in Foxboro if it isn't the Steelers. Outside of a general NFL fan, of course.

You can talk to the refs if you want to complain about penalties.

Gilmore, a top cb in the league made a great play and ran right through Rogers to get to the ball. Not sure how you blame him there. If he blocks, it’s OPI.

You’re a bigger college fan than NFL, I get it that you still think Watson is a stud QB. His passing attack is poor by NFL standards. It’s toss it up to Hopkins and pray. As a PASSER he’s not there yet by NFL standards.

Watson has 24 touchdown passes to 9 interceptions, completion percentage of 67.7%, passer rating of 103.2, and has passed for 3,600 yards.

Again I have no idea what you are basing your opinion on.

So the fact that the Steelers actually, you know, beat them, doesn't give you any hope? Not sure about you, but I could give 2 sh*ts who plays them in Foxboro if it isn't the Steelers. Outside of a general NFL fan, of course.

Basically I know New England can play much better than they did today. And likely would play much better in a rematch. Also New England's remaining schedule is a joke, so there is basically no chance that Pittsburgh could overtake them for the 3 seed. Which means any playoff matchup between the two would be in New England.

Other than Pittsburgh winning the Super Bowl the thing I want to see the most is for New England to get put OUT of the AFC playoffs.

Watson has 24 touchdown passes to 9 interceptions, completion percentage of 67.7%, passer rating of 103.2, and has passed for 3,600 yards.

lol coulnt say it better...hey good steeler talk..im out was fun. take care

Reactions: pittman71
Basically I know New England can play much better than they did today. And likely would play much better in a rematch. Also New England's remaining schedule is a joke, so there is basically no chance that Pittsburgh could overtake them for the 3 seed. Which means any playoff matchup between the two would be in New England.

Other than Pittsburgh winning the Super Bowl the thing I want to see the most is for New England to get put OUT of the AFC playoffs.

You’re going to get your wish, Patriots are going to have a tough road to get out of the AFC.

They’re not good enough this year to just turn it on come playoff time.

So are you or are you not rooting for a Steelers - Pats rematch in the playoffs?

-OR-

Are you rooting for another team you think is better suited to beat the Pats?

Honest question.

It was pretty brilliant-
Wasted clock to give Ben no time
Honestly what was Ben going to do with 20 more seconds? Really? It looked and felt ridiculous. JMO.

You know, because the Steelers were so quick strike and all. :rolleyes:

10 of his 14 games, he has thrown for less than 300 yards. 50% of his games he’s only thrown 1 TD. 50% of his games he’s thrown it less than 30 times.

He’s 17th in completions. 16th in attempts. 12th in yards. 18th in yards per game. 21st in QBR.

That’s what i’m basing him as a passer off of. He’s BELOW average by NFL standards as a PASSER. Houston isn’t relying on him to win games. Did you see what the Jets did to him in the 2nd half last night?

So are you or are you not rooting for a Steelers - Pats rematch in the playoffs?

-OR-

Are you rooting for another team you think is better suited to beat the Pats?

Honest question.

Hell NO I am not rooting for a Steeler-Patriot rematch! I can root for Pittsburgh to get into the playoffs but have someone else put New England out. Like Baltimore as a wild card.

I always root for the Steelers to win. If the Steelers weren't in the playoffs my interest level would significantly drop. The only other thing I would want to see is for New England to get stopped.

Honestly what was Ben going to do with 20 more seconds? Really? It looked and felt ridiculous. JMO.

An NFL qb should be able to move the ball 45 yards with a TO in roughly 45 seconds.

10 of his 14 games, he has thrown for less than 300 yards. 50% of his games he’s only thrown 1 TD. 50% of his games he’s thrown it less than 30 times.

He’s 17th in completions. 16th in attempts. 12th in yards. 18th in yards per game. 21st in QBR.

That’s what i’m basing him as a passer off of. He’s BELOW average by NFL standards as a PASSER. Houston isn’t relying on him to win games. Did you see what the Jets did to him in the 2nd half last night?

He completed 78.6% of his passes against the Jets, for 294 yards, 2 touchdowns, and a passer rating of 134.2.

Last edited:
He completed 78.6% of his passes against the Jets, for 294 yards, 2 touchdowns, and a passer rating of 134.2.

LOL you were saying?
Read the entire post, I said 2nd half. Here, i’ll break it down for you drive by drive.

1st drive after halftime: (3 and out)
Watson, 0 passed, 2 sacks
2nd drive after halftime: (3 and out)
Watson 1 pass for 10 yards + and a sack
3rd drive after halftime: (3 and out)
Watson 3 passes for 3 yards
4th drive after halftime: (FG)
4 passes 70 yards and a sack
5th drive after halftime: (TD)
7 passes, 70 yards and a TD. The play was a throw it up to Hopkins and pray pass, like I said he always does in my 1st post
6th drive after halfrime: (3 and out)
0 passes. Zero confidence by O’Brien to let him throw the ball to win the game.

Watch some games and quit looking at box scores. The jets were blitzing the shit out of him and he struggled to respond.

Last edited:

IMO - the best move would have been for the Pats to try and draw the Steelers offsides in that situation.

I do agree with you that Belicheck’s brilliance on that play was blown out of proportion. The Steelers would have had the ball around their own 20 with like 35 secs. You factor in a very shaky FG Kicker and the Steelers best bet would be to play it conservative anyways.

IMO - the best move would have been for the Pats to try and draw the Steelers offsides in that situation.

I do agree with you that Belicheck’s brilliance on that play was blown out of proportion. The Steelers would have had the ball around their own 20 with like 35 secs. You factor in a very shaky FG Kicker and the Steelers best bet would be to play it conservative anyways.

I like the way Belichick played it, but would hardly call it brilliant. He obviously wasn’t going to go for it, but wanted to make sure it was the last possession of the half, which he accomplished.

Pretty sure the Steelers would’ve taken at least one shot deep, maybe would’ve got a PI and a FG attempt.

Was nicely done by the Patriots, but Romo way way overhyped it.

I like the way Belichick played it, but would hardly call it brilliant. He obviously wasn’t going to go for it, but wanted to make sure it was the last possession of the half, which he accomplished.

Pretty sure the Steelers would’ve taken at least one shot deep, maybe would’ve got a PI and a FG attempt.

The majority of 12 year olds playing madden would've known they'd audible into a punt. It's only brilliant if you didn't see it coming. Most people did.

no one can say that was a lobsided ref game...and i do alot lol..but they called it right for the most part
I went frame by frame on the double tip touchback. I thought the pats toe was on the white line kicking up grass. If his toe wasn't kicking up grass there was perhaps 1 frame where he cleared the ball before touching grass. 1 frame. I'm glad they ruled it down at the 1. What an incredible play. There are games where refs miss obnoxious calls, this wasn't one of them.

Borderline officiating penalties are stupid to acknowledge. They can go either way. What isn't obnoxious is pointing out when North Carolina is holding and turning the Pitt DE sideways on a touchdown score. What is obnoxious is advocating that there is a conspiracy to destroy Pitt in X game. (it isn't 2007) What isn't obnoxious is to say that the penalty changed the game.

Had these refs swallowed whistles to make an even box score, the Steelers probably lose the game. New England fans will complain.

I saw Truitt, 'as once named in a thread about officiating,' get bear hugged while going in to sack Brady. No call. Then I saw the same exact thing happen at the end of the game but the call was made.

Lastly, if I'm able to see Tomlin at the Clemson Pro Day, I'm going to tell him that I wanted him to move up and select Aaron Donald

I am not a Baltimore fan. But I want someone in the playoffs who can beat New England. I still don't have much faith in Pittsburgh, even after today. In fact after what I saw today I have even less confidence in a rematch.

But if Baltimore loses Pittsburgh doesnt clinch the division. The Steelers still have to likely win one more, as I don't think Cleveland is going to beat Baltimore on the final weekend.
I know that this is me being conspiracy theorist, but the key to beating NE is to play them on the road. They are virtually unbeatable at home, and are ordinary on the road. What makes them so much better at home? Does Foxboro have mystical powers?

In any event, NE has 5 losses this year. All on the road. I don’t see them winning two road games to get to the super bowl. Hope I’m not wrong

I went frame by frame on the double tip touchback. I thought the pats toe was on the white line kicking up grass. If his toe wasn't kicking up grass there was perhaps 1 frame where he cleared the ball before touching grass. 1 frame. I'm glad they ruled it down at the 1. What an incredible play. There are games where refs miss obnoxious calls, this wasn't one of them.

Borderline officiating penalties are stupid to acknowledge. They can go either way. What isn't obnoxious is pointing out when North Carolina is holding and turning the Pitt DE sideways on a touchdown score. What is obnoxious is advocating that there is a conspiracy to destroy Pitt in X game. (it isn't 2007) What isn't obnoxious is to say that the penalty changed the game.

Had these refs swallowed whistles to make an even box score, the Steelers probably lose the game. New England fans will complain.

I saw Truitt, 'as once named in a thread about officiating,' get bear hugged while going in to sack Brady. No call. Then I saw the same exact thing happen at the end of the game but the call was made.

Lastly, if I'm able to see Tomlin at the Clemson Pro Day, I'm going to tell him that I wanted him to move up and select Aaron Donald
It is never wrong to point out obvious bad calls that change games. Officials shouldn't be treated like infallible gods (like some here regard coaches or Pitt administrators :D). It is very far fetched to say that the refs themselves were 'fixing' a game. It's usually more a matter of incompetence (simply a bad crew, one bad egg in the crew, etc) or an egotistical one (wants to be bigger than the game). Lots of refs and umpires have filled the latter roles.

I think there certainly can be subconscious (or otherwise) favoritism and it's been irrefutably proven many times (*cough* Notre Dame).

And there are many times that the 'powers that be' of a league or conference or other entity definitely have a rooting financial interest. It's perfectly fine to note it. In fact it would be asinine not to.

Likewise, bad, game changing calls. The Miami targeting in the Pitt game for example. It doesn't matter if anyone 'likes'the rule (i actually don't). But when it clearly happens on the field (it did), the refs call it on the field (they did), it's something routinely called all the time now and upheld (it is, including in other Pitt games this year)... it shouldn't have been reversed just because some assclown in the announcing booth was a Miami fanboy and was ranting against it. But the conference to its discredit allowed emotion to dictate. In a low scoring game, it meant defeat for Pitt. Se leve... but it's perfectly fine to note.

Last night seemed fishy only in that regard...NE rarely gets so many calls against them; NE is a playoff lock already and probably a lock in the spot they now hold; and the Steelers (a league and network financial favorite) needed a win badly to stay playoff eligible. Those factors make it, favorable, let's say, for the league to nudge things in one direction vs the other. Not to say it did... in fact Vegas would have conniptions if outright fixing was ever suspected ... but it's not wrong at all, and frankly part of the fun, to note these factors.

Last night seemed fishy only in that regard...NE rarely gets so many calls against them; NE is a playoff lock already and probably a lock in the spot they now hold; and the Steelers (a league and network financial favorite) needed a win badly to stay playoff eligible. Those factors make it, favorable, let's say, for the league to nudge things in one direction vs the other. Not to say it did... in fact Vegas would have conniptions if outright fixing was ever suspected ... but it's not wrong at all, and frankly part of the fun, to note these factors.

There was nothing "fishy" about the penalties called on the Pats last night, as I posted before they racked up 8 penalties that will be called no matter what, false starts, delay of game, illegal formation and illegal man downfield. The holding calls on their O-Line were legit since the Steelers pass rush was getting pressure, another crew might have called more.

If there was something "fishy" the refs wouldn't have called the pass interference that extended the Pats drive and they would have flagged that DB for pass interference on the 3rd down pass to JuJu.

There was nothing "fishy" about the penalties called on the Pats last night, as I posted before they racked up 8 penalties that will be called no matter what, false starts, delay of game, illegal formation and illegal man downfield. The holding calls on their O-Line were legit since the Steelers pass rush was getting pressure, another crew might have called more.

If there was something "fishy" the refs wouldn't have called the pass interference that extended the Pats drive and they would have flagged that DB for pass interference on the 3rd down pass to JuJu.
Presnap penalties, for sure. Right out there for the world to see. No argument there.

Others can and are quite interesting. A defensive holding call on a running play, for example. The hold called on NE in the red zone. Totally subjective. And the kind of stuff typically not called against that team. Which must be balanced against a Steelers team that badly needed to win last night. And the networks that badly want them in the playoffs for national ratings. Etc. Etc.

It's just part of the intrigue to note these backstories, is all i said.

If the Steelers had a threat returning punts I can see doing it but if New England lined up in punt formation and ran the play clock down to 1 the Steelers still end up with the ball inside the 20 with the same amount of time. Belicheat was hoping someone would jump offsides when Brady jumped away from the Center, it didn't happen so there's nothing "brilliant" about that call. Romo is a clown and his reaction to it was embarrassing.

29/49 for 235 2 TD's and a INT.
8 carries 76 yards.

He's not there as a passer yet to win playoff games. Dak Prescott tonight and Lamar Jackson tomorrow will both lose. You have to be able to pass the MUCH better in the playoffs.

29/49 for 235 2 TD's and a INT.
8 carries 76 yards.

He's not there as a passer yet to win playoff games. Dak Prescott tonight and Lamar Jackson tomorrow will both lose. You have to be able to pass the MUCH better in the playoffs.

Why do you bring up Prescott and Jackson?

Why do you bring up Prescott and Jackson?

Because they both struggle to pass big time. They are matched up against very good passers in Wilson and Rivers. I forget who the talking head was, but the more I look at the NFC, the only qb who can challenge Brees is Wilson. In the AFC, it's going to be 4 elite passers.

Because they both struggle to pass big time. They are matched up against very good passers in Wilson and Rivers. I forget who the talking head was, but the more I look at the NFC, the only qb who can challenge Brees is Wilson. In the AFC, it's going to be 4 elite passers.

If you are actually watching the Dallas game the main issue for Dallas is their offensive line. Not giving Prescott time to pass and not creating holes for Elliott. Rivers got ambushed by Baltimore because he had no time to pass.

Ravens strategy is obvious play defense and run the ball/control the clock.

Kind of insulting to compare Prescott's passing ability to Lamar Jackson. Jackson basically runs the ball out of the read option. He is nowhere near as accurate as Prescott.

Reactions: BFo8
Kind of insulting to compare Prescott's passing ability to Lamar Jackson. Jackson basically runs the ball out of the read option. He is nowhere near as accurate as Prescott.

Not a big Prescott fan, but his passing ability is light years ahead of Jackson at this point.

Jackson’s best comp at this point is Josh Allen, maybe at best Mitch Trubisky. For whatever reason when people compare QB’s they seem to do it by race rather than actual measurables.

I didn't compare Jackson to anybody. The 4 QB's I mentioned were the 4 worst passing QB's in the playoffs. I never said they were all on the same level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT