ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: stillers: The End of an Era

Dan1911

Sophomore
Jan 17, 2016
Tomlin’s team looks outcoached. Pittsburgh’s vets look unprepared and error-prone

Roethlisberger looks horrid. He can’t hit a receiver.
should be the end of this era. Time to rebuild. I’m a huge Ben fan, but he won’t be worth what they’d have to pay him next year

I know this won’t happen, but I’d be taking offers on Tomlin. The raiders traded Chuckie the first time around, and I’d love to show Tomlin the door. 0-4 in the playoffs the last 10 years with a franchise qb—though he appears to no longer have a franchise QB this year.

Reactions: Mikefln and 303vND
Tampa Bay paid a steep price for Gruden, sending two first-round picks and two second-round picks to the Raiders, along with $8 million.

I’m ready to put some of the blame on BR. As the veterans on the team and coaching staff retired he became more of a reality than star with a good arm rather than a Franchise QB. Super Bowl 43 was phenomenal but it was also 12 years ago.

After LeBeau resigned and Arians “retired”, Tomlin hired Porter, Fitchner and Hayley and the bum at DC whose name escapes me. The lack of an NFL-Calber coaching staff is a big part of this train wreck.
I can’t like this enough.

Yeah remember when teams used to want to hire or even interview the Steelers coordinators?
The results haven’t been great since Munchak left either. But yes, it is perplexing that a team that has been as good as the Steelers for so many years rarely has a highly sought-after coordinator.

Reactions: Dan1911
Tomlin reminds me of the coach of my favorite sports team (English football). He’s a great communicator and ambassador/representative for the team that certainly possesses many of the characteristics of a leader. But on the sideline he often looks overmatched in the x’s and O’s.

Tomlin reminds me of the coach of my favorite sports team (English football). He’s a great communicator and ambassador/representative for the team that certainly possesses many of the characteristics of a leader. But on the sideline he often looks overmatched in the x’s and O’s.
let's trade Lamps for Tomlin

After LeBeau resigned and Arians “retired”, Tomlin hired Porter, Fitchner and Hayley and the bum at DC whose name escapes me. The lack of an NFL-Calber coaching staff is a big part of this train wreck.
Yeah it is not a coincidence that none of these guys have gotten any other job offers. Worst staff in the NFL.

But this team, as the OP said, the era is over. need way too much that one draft cannot fix, and they have too many impending free agents and too little cap room to make a difference. Their best bet (and remember kiddies I said this around Thanksgiving) is to burn it down, take a couple of 4 win seasons, trade a Watt or a Minkah for some draft picks and completely rebuild.

Ben had a great career, but he was a really hard guy to root for. The criminal incidents, reckless motorcycle accident/not wearing a helmet, seeming to never care for his body, having a reputation as kind of a lazy preparer, lots of local stories about jerkish behavior...

I wasn't alive for Bradshaw so I can't say which of the two was Pittsburgh's all time best QB. Ben is certainly up there. But all the other stuff always made me kind of conflicted rooting for him. Next year is going to be rough if he comes back.

Yeah it is not a coincidence that none of these guys have gotten any other job offers. Worst staff in the NFL.

But this team, as the OP said, the era is over. need way too much that one draft cannot fix, and they have too many impending free agents and too little cap room to make a difference. Their best bet (and remember kiddies I said this around Thanksgiving) is to burn it down, take a couple of 4 win seasons, trade a Watt or a Minkah for some draft picks and completely rebuild.
The only thing I would say is when have the Steelers ever actually gone through a rebuild. There were some periods where the future looked really grim (1991, 2000, 2013, 2019) and the Steelers got back to the top of the division and contending status very quickly thereafter. Sure, the team has some big salary cap decisions, but this organization has proven that it deserves a benefit of doubt and I’m sure they will work out of this one too. The only thing I will concede is that this is the first time that all three division rivals appear to be set at QB for the long haul. That part is concerning.

Reactions: Zepley09
I guess you guys haven’t been watching the Steelers this season . As the season progressed there were guys playing in Steeler uniforms I‘ve never heard of . Of course that’s Tomlin’s fault ..

With Bush and Dupree out the defense wasn’t even close to the same . Take Hadden out of this game now you have 3 of their best defenders out , not many teams could survive these loses to star players .

Without a run game the league eventually figured out how to defend the Steelers short passing offense which I absolutely hated .

No running game and short quick passes suggests to me that the issue with the offense really lines in the O line . While Conner isn’t a super star he’s shown the ability to be a quality NFL back and any back on their roster given a hole to run through would be effective .

One could argue they were trying to save Big Ben from getting hit by going to this offense or maybe they thought that the O line couldn’t protect him well enough and the numbers proved that they couldn’t run block . The times rapidly coming for Ben to retire , but without a better line these Steelers will struggle on offense no matter whose playing qb .

Tomlins favorite saying the “standard is the standard” & “ next man up “ all sounds great , but he knows as does everyone else talent wins games and these Steelers didn’t have enough talent to survive their injuries .

Without some brilliant front office moves and with the number of free agents and salary cap issues the Steelers could be in for some rough times .

I guess you guys haven’t been watching the Steelers this season . As the season progressed there were guys playing in Steeler uniforms I‘ve never heard of . Of course that’s Tomlin’s fault ..

With Bush and Dupree out the defense wasn’t even close to the same . Take Hadden out of this game now you have 3 of their best defenders out , not many teams could survive these loses to star players .

Without a run game the league eventually figured out how to defend the Steelers short passing offense which I absolutely hated .

No running game and short quick passes suggests to me that the issue with the offense really lines in the O line . While Conner isn’t a super star he’s shown the ability to be a quality NFL back and any back on their roster given a hole to run through would be effective .

One could argue they were trying to save Big Ben from getting hit by going to this offense or maybe they thought that the O line couldn’t protect him well enough and the numbers proved that they couldn’t run block . The times rapidly coming for Ben to retire , but without a better line these Steelers will struggle on offense no matter whose playing qb .

Tomlins favorite saying the “standard is the standard” & “ next man up “ all sounds great , but he knows as does everyone else talent wins games and these Steelers didn’t have enough talent to survive their injuries .

Without some brilliant front office moves and with the number of free agents and salary cap issues the Steelers could be in for some rough times .

I think it's the opposite. You'd be hard-pressed to find a team that hasn't sustained at least three big injuries.

Who’s coaching tree is actually good?
I means Arians is still in the playoffs
Almost all the belichek head coaches have been fired

It’s a silly way to judge a coach

it's a reflection of how other GM's view your team. your HC does well, it's assumed your coordinators are well trained and can take on their own teams. in and of itself, it's really meaningless. but shows that other teams don't respect what your HC is doing and the people he has underneath him.

Arians got moved out because he was getting Ben killed. I can't blame the coaches for this. Your two most tenured players cost them this game. How is any coach responsible for your veteran center snapping the ball 5 feet over Ben's head? Did Tomlin throw the horrible first pick, or did your 17 year veteran QB do it? These 2 plays woke the Browns up, and made them think they could win the game. All of the air was sucked out of the team by these two plays. This was not the team going 3 and out the first 3 drives, where you might question what the coaches were doing. This was your 2 most veteran players pissing their pants, and putting the team in a huge hole.

Arians got moved out because he was getting Ben killed. I can't blame the coaches for this. Your two most tenured players cost them this game. How is any coach responsible for your veteran center snapping the ball 5 feet over Ben's head? Did Tomlin throw the horrible first pick, or did your 17 year veteran QB do it? These 2 plays woke the Browns up, and made them think they could win the game. All of the air was sucked out of the team by these two plays. This was not the team going 3 and out the first 3 drives, where you might question what the coaches were doing. This was your 2 most veteran players pissing their pants, and putting the team in a huge hole.

But when we the last time the Steelers played to their potential or pieced together a complete game in the playoffs? It's happened one time since the last Super Bowl run in 2011, and even the playoff games that year were not complete games (they dug themselves in a deep hole all three times, as I recall). This goes well beyond a few bad plays. Tomlin's teams have simply not performed well in the playoffs. We lost to a team that was missing its freaking coach and had barely practiced all week last night. We lost, again at home, to a Bortles-led Jaguars team that couldn't even throw the ball downfield... somehow they managed to drop 45 on us. We lost to an 8-8 team that had Tebow as its quarterback, for crying out loud. Hell, two of the games we won were absolute gifts (the Cincy game much more so, but there was also a bad holding call in that KC game).

And sadly the defense folded
I mean we played names I never heard of -including marsh who looks like an out of work roadie.

• Haha
Reactions: caleco's
The Steeler franchise is no longer elite. It is living off its history and reputation. I cite a decade without a Super Bowl appearance as evidence. They remind me a lot of the Detroit Lions circa 1970 -- has-beens with bygone glory. Now, I wouldn't consign the Steelers to the AFC North basement for even one season, but the fact is that they went 2-3 against CLE and CIN, two teams they traditionally pound into a pulp. They're hostage to Ben and his improv act. With all the free agents, things will get worse before they get better.

But when we the last time the Steelers played to their potential or pieced together a complete game in the playoffs? It's happened one time since the last Super Bowl run in 2011, and even the playoff games that year were not complete games (they dug themselves in a deep hole all three times, as I recall). This goes well beyond a few bad plays. Tomlin's teams have simply not performed well in the playoffs. We lost to a team that was missing its freaking coach and had barely practiced all week last night. We lost, again at home, to a Bortles-led Jaguars team that couldn't even throw the ball downfield... somehow they managed to drop 45 on us. We lost to an 8-8 team that had Tebow as its quarterback, for crying out loud. Hell, two of the games we won were absolute gifts (the Cincy game much more so, but there was also a bad holding call in that KC game).
And that’s fine
If the Rooney’s want to move on it’s their prerogative
Tomlin will have a new job before he hangs up the phone .

Who’s on your hc short list ?

Reactions: indoorgolf
And that’s fine
If the Rooney’s want to move on it’s their prerogative
Tomlin will have a new job before he hangs up the phone .

Who’s on your hc short list ?

Is Tomlin the guy you want spearheading a complete rebuild? I'd rather have a guy who is more keen on x's and o's (particularly on offense, as the genie is well out of the bottle in terms of that being the more important side of the ball in modern football) and can develop our soon-to-be next quarterback. You seem to think Tomlin being rehired is some sort of affirmation of his greatness. How is Gruden Part 2 working out in Las Vegas? I don't think Tomlin is horrible, but I also think he's better off running a team that can police itself to some degree.

ADVERTISEMENT