ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: stillers: The End of an Era

isn't that every NFL coach? you think payton would be in the playoffs every year w/out drew brees? look what happened to belichik this year.

i said in an earlier thread, i'm can't defend tomlin on much at this point. but i'll defend that it's a qb league, not HC league. and i can find plenty of crappy games by ben the last 10 years.
Payton hasn't been to the SB in 11 years with a better QB than Ben.

Payton hasn't been to the SB in 11 years with a better QB than Ben.

that was my point! been awhile since russ didn't stink up the joint in the playoffs. rivers never did jack in the playoffs. eli won 2 but largely did nothing else in the post-season. romo. mcnabb. i could go on and on.

peyton was 13-13 in the playoffs. usually as a 1 or 2 seed.

Dude the AFC North Mystic is one of the most overrated conceptions in football. It was the Steelers and Ravens and that was it. The Browns were a complete joke, and the Bengals did just enough to sneak in only to do what they did best under Marvin Lewis.

That's nearly every division, though. The AFC East was complete garbage and sent like 5 total teams (Dolphins 2-3 times, Jets 2ish, Buffalo 1) to the playoffs in two decades. The AFC South was similar. The NFC North was usually bad.

Nobody would want the Steelers or Ravens in their division. It's rare to have 2 teams like that. New England would have several fewer Super Bowls if they had to play the Ravens twice instead of the Jets.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Well, both are franchise QB's, but using the word "if" is not a convincing way to win an argument.............
How about "if" Bradshaw had been drafted by the Bears in '69 he would have been forgotten by '79 instead of Super Bowl MVP. Thinking back he doesn't strike me as the guy who could carry a team. We'll never know, but he was surrounded by unprecedented talent on both sides of the ball.

That's nearly every division, though. The AFC East was complete garbage and sent like 5 total teams (Dolphins 2-3 times, Jets 2ish, Buffalo 1) to the playoffs in two decades. The AFC South was similar. The NFC North was usually bad.

Nobody would want the Steelers or Ravens in their division. It's rare to have 2 teams like that. New England would have several fewer Super Bowls if they had to play the Ravens twice instead of the Jets.
An absolute bingo. They rode the AFC East schedule to home field advantage throughout the playoffs time and time again. And we know how different a team New England is at home vs on the road. A couple SB appearances that they had would have fallen short in the AFC playoffs before they got there.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
isn't that every NFL coach? you think payton would be in the playoffs every year w/out drew brees? look what happened to belichik this year.

i said in an earlier thread, i'm can't defend tomlin on much at this point. but i'll defend that it's a qb league, not HC league. and i can find plenty of crappy games by ben the last 10 years.

I posted this on the pay board but you're spot on.

As we've seen with New England, there's no such thing as a great coach. Only good coaches with great QBs.

I'm not saying Tomlin isn't above criticism. Bomani Jones makes a valid point that you can justify firing just about any coach in the NFL at any time. But people seem to apply things to Tomlin as something unique to him when it really applies to a lot of coaches in the league.

McCarthy, Carroll, and Payton to name a few are good coaches who have/had franchise QBs and squandered their best seasons.

Reactions: pitt90seven
An absolute bingo. They rode the AFC East schedule to home field advantage throughout the playoffs time and time again. And we know how different a team New England is at home vs on the road. A couple SB appearances that they had would have fallen short in the AFC playoffs before they got there.

Exactly. Until 2020, Tom Brady had never played in the Wild Card round. Ever. The fact that all 3 teams in the AFC East have been complete train wrecks for two decades made the Patriots possible.

I posted this on the pay board but you're spot on.

As we've seen with New England, there's no such thing as a great coach. Only good coaches with great QBs.

I'm not saying Tomlin isn't above criticism. Bomani Jones makes a valid point that you can justify firing just about any coach in the NFL at any time. But people seem to apply things to Tomlin as something unique to him when it really applies to a lot of coaches in the league.

McCarthy, Carroll, and Payton to name a few are good coaches who have/had franchise QBs and squandered their best seasons.

I will give you that but I am not a fan of their teams so I do not care if they are retained or not. Tomlin is the coach of the team I root for, so when I see stupid crap, I call him out on it. If you go to the cities of those other coaches you would see their fans do the same with their coach.

I will give you that but I am not a fan of their teams so I do not care if they are retained or not. Tomlin is the coach of the team I root for, so when I see stupid crap, I call him out on it. If you go to the cities of those other coaches you would see their fans do the same with their coach.
Yes
Everyone blames their coach and whatever other coach has a good season becomes their new example of a great coach
Until they falter too

It’s why good organizations don’t let mob mentality rule the day
Otherwise you end up like the jets , giants , and cowboys

One of the best posts of the new year!

That Tunsil trade was a desperate move. Huge risk putting in the 2021 picks and it blew up on him. I don’t care if it is Orlando Pace, two 1s and a 2 is a huge price for a left tackle. It looked even worse after he couldn’t at least get a 1st back for Hopkins. Now the 2021 picks are #3 and #35 overall. Given the QBs available Houston could’ve gotten a kings ransom for that #3. Exhibit A why it is foolish to trade future year first round picks.

Reactions: 303vND
Exactly. Until 2020, Tom Brady had never played in the Wild Card round. Ever. The fact that all 3 teams in the AFC East have been complete train wrecks for two decades made the Patriots possible.
That's definitely part of it. They essentially were gifted 6-0. The other 10 games, if NE would go 6-4, they are 12-4 and likely 2 seed. If 7-3 or better, 1 seed.

And this allowed them to have constant home playoffs and never having to play 3 games.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Yes
Everyone blames their coach and whatever other coach has a good season becomes their new example of a great coach
Until they falter too

I have been indifferent toward Tomlin for the past 10 years. Then recently my Tomlin meter moved a little more in favor of him than indifferent. But I hear a lot of people say be careful what you wish for because if you fire Tomlin, this franchise could resort to what they were in the 80’s. But what people fail to realize is that’s exactly what the Steelers have been in the last 10 years. The Steelers won 2 playoff games and reached one AFC championship game in the 80’s, essentially what they’ve done the previous 10 years. The difference of course is the Steelers didn’t have a franchise QB that decade.

Last edited:
IMO, Bradshaw by a lot, it was a different time of course, but the first 8-9 years of his career the receivers were fair game, you could hit them, knock them down, knock them off their routes, etc, and QB's were much less protected. Add in the fact that his HC did not like him at all and his accomplishments are even more impressive, whereas Ben has had a much smoother ride with the Coach, fans, and media. Noll played for Paul Brown and he wanted that approach from his QB i guess. I loved Bradshaw's game right away, a very powerful arm, could run, was big and strong (for his day), but Noll didn't like him at all, (Noll had the same blindspot when Marino came available and he did not want him), Noll started Joe Gilliam over Bradshaw at one point , which i thought was ridicules at the time Click here. Of course the "know-it-all, 40 years of losing in the NFL" Steelers fans gave TB a hard time early on just to make it more difficult....comparing Championships between the two is very easy too, Bradshaw doubled Ben, each had Super Bowl seasons(2 to 1) when the team was mostly responsible for their success, and both had SB seasons (2 to 1) in which they in which they acted as main contributors to the championship(s)

Of course both are HoFers , but I would draft Bradshaw over Ben every time.
Bradshaw was so much better than the Milledgeville Fondler in big games. Not even close. Ben can have the records. Brad has the rings.... also if Terry sucked in a game, he'd man up and put it on himself without and drama.... Joe Gilliam crossed the picket lines in 1974 and led the team to a 6-0 preseason, which earned him the starting nod for six games before he fizzled. Bradshaw started 7 of the last 8 (Hanratty got the start at Cleveland) and eventually won the job permanently. I liken the Noll-Brad relationship along the lines of Todd Graham and Tino Sunseri (bear with me on this). Noll thought Terry was capable of more that he delivered, and he was befuddled as to how to get the best from his QB. Eventually they figured it out.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
Ben had a great career, but he was a really hard guy to root for. The criminal incidents, reckless motorcycle accident/not wearing a helmet, seeming to never care for his body, having a reputation as kind of a lazy preparer, lots of local stories about jerkish behavior...

I wasn't alive for Bradshaw so I can't say
I have been indifferent toward Tomlin for the past 10 years. Then recently my Tomlin meter moved a little more in favor of him than indifferent. But I hear a lot of people say be careful what you wish for because if you fire Tomlin, this franchise could resort to what they were in the 80’s. But what people fail to realize is that’s exactly what the Steelers have been in the last 10 years. The Steelers won 2 playoff games and reached one AFC championship game in the 80’s, just like they’ve done the previous 10 years. The difference of course is the Steelers didn’t have a franchise QB that decade.
which of the two was Pittsburgh's all time best QB. Ben is certainly up there. But all the other stuff always made me kind of conflicted rooting for him. Next year is going to be rough if he comes back.

The 80s were harder to take because they were on the heels of the success of the 70s.

Fans expected to win a Super Bowl each year.

Yes
Until they falter too

I agree you don't allow mob mentality to rule, but sometimes you need to make a change when things go stale. The Steelers under Tomlin is a stale act. Also there is a difference between the coaches at the places you are talking and the Steelers. Who of the teams you mentioned had the talent that Tomlin has had. How many years since 2014 did Tomlin have a Top 3 offense line a top 5 QB, and the top WR and RB in the NFL? The answer is 4 and the Steelers did nothing those years.

Reactions: 303vND
Fichtner, O-Line coach Shaun Sarrett & Sandusky enabler Tom Bradley all fired by the Stillers this morning. It's going to be interesting on the OC hire since they'll be saddled with Ben for a season and a new QB in 2022.

Fichtner, O-Line coach Shaun Sarrett & Sandusky enabler Tom Bradley all fired by the Stillers this morning. It's going to be interesting on the OC hire since they'll be saddled with Ben for a season and a new QB in 2022.

OL coach was straight trash. amazing the drop off after munchak left. i know guys got older but just terrible.

so this is either the start of the end for tomlin or he can hire some good guys, make the appropriate adjustments, and move forward.

ADVERTISEMENT