ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stillers: When is it time to start the understudies?

But all the media said “Ben came to camp in the best shape of his life”. Or was that the year before, or the year before that or the the year before that. I can’t seem to remember. This reminds me of Franco trying to have one more year with Seattle. He was finished but didn’t want to accept it. Big Ben was finished also except he wanted another 15 million

Reactions: 303vND
But not having a future QB is still the biggest question mark.
I hope they're not STUPID and think that Rudolph or Haskins is that guy and pass on a QB in the 1st round next year, actually after watching the last 2 games, I wouldn't mind going 5-12, but it's a total waste if you get up in the top 10 and don't take a QB. At this point, if it was possible, I'd sub in Pickett for Ben next week.

I hope they're not STUPID and think that Rudolph or Haskins is that guy and pass on a QB in the 1st round next year, actually after watching the last 2 games, I wouldn't mind going 5-12, but it's a total waste if you get up in the top 10 and don't take a QB. At this point, if it was possible, I'd sub in Pickett for Ben next week.
That would certainly secure a top 5 pick

You love him? Great coach? Wow.
Yup, and I think I’m willing to “die on that hill.” I believe you’d be hard pressed to find many head coaches better than him and 2019 made me hopeful as to what he can do with a post-Big Ben Steelers team.

Just my opinion, though. He does have his flaws and I can see why some would give him a lower approval rating.

Honestly, I’m not sure I’d want them drafting a QB next year just because we have a need for a quarterback. None of the QBs in the 2022 class have blown me away. I was high on Kedon Slovis for a while, but he may be fading.

I don’t think Rudolph or Haskins are the long-term answers, but I’d be fine if they gave either of them an “audition” next season or if they took a flyer on someone like Pickett after round one.

Honestly, I’m not sure I’d want them drafting a QB next year just because we have a need for a quarterback. None of the QBs in the 2022 class have blown me away.
As long as they don't go 90s Cowher and think they can win with running the ball, great D and avoid mistakes and not draft a TOP, ROUND 1 QB for 20 years, like they did before Ben.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
You have an O-line that is full of backups out there every Sunday. How's that working?

I thought this was perhaps the worst Steelers draft in a long time when it came to addressing need. Harris and Freirmuth are very talented players that are playing well but when they gave Ben another year, why take your chances with a bad O-line when you had one of the deepest drafts for OL-men in ages? Plenty of good enough pro RB's were available as FA's. None of it makes sense.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the stats

Big Ben 63'8%. 3 TDs, 3 INTs, 801 Yards, 10 rush yards
Lamar Jackson, 60.9%, 3 TDs, 3 INTs, 761 Yards, 251 rush yards

Clearly Jackson is on the upside and Ben is done, Just thought it was interesting.

Y
You love him? Great coach? Wow.
Hes pretty average. Hasn't won many playoff games and he had a hof QB for his first 12 seasons. Now he does some good things but he is one of the worst game managers in the NFL. Horrible on challenges etc etc. Teams have always played hard for him and against better teams they have always been ready to play and have had pretty good game plans.
You only take a QB if there is one worth taking otherwise your going to be repeating the mistake in 4 years.

Reactions: PittPoker
It's not gonna be fun for us fans but since this season is pretty much over(unless miracles happen) you gotta start hoping the Steelers truly have a disastrous season and get a top 5 pick. You obv use it to draft the top offensive lineman out there. Ben will be gone and they use Mason for next season in "transition". I guess you could also call it an audition as well. If he performs well then maybe just maybe he is our next quarterback for a few years to come. If not well we'll probably be drafting high again the following year and that's when they hopefully find their next franchise QB.

Look it's gonna suck as I am a diehard Steelers fan but I think we all need to probably now realize that the offense needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. It's awful. So unfortunately I see lots of losses piling up for the Steelers for the next few seasons. And I'm hoping Tomlin gets the axe as well. I think it's time for a new regime and imo that would work well with Ben gone after this season.

The interesting part this year is that we might sneak a QB without being in the top 5 for two reasons: 1) a lot of teams that are probably picking earlier already took a QB (Jets, Jaguars, Bears), don't own their pick (Colts, Dolphins), or might be locked into their current QB for contract reasons (Falcons, Colts); and 2) it's kind of a weaker QB class with some standouts at premium defensive positions. So I could see multiple QBs lasting past 5 and maybe even past 10.

Whatever happens, if we finish in the top 10 you almost certainly have to shoot your shot on a QB since we never pick that high.

You only take a QB if there is one worth taking otherwise your going to be repeating the mistake in 4 years.
Then it might be good to suck for 2-3 years, until there's someone worth taking. Either that or get some established QB that wants to move for a couple years.

Then it might be good to suck for 2-3 years, until there's someone worth taking. Either that or get some established QB that wants to move for a couple years.

That's the thing, you never really know. Mahomes wasn't the first QB taken. Zach Wilson looks terrible. Justin Fields had more sack yards than passing yards. Tua is labeled as a game manager. And NONE of the QBs we'd get in 2022 will be as good as those guys were on paper. Gotta just take one that's "good enough" and coach him up.

The interesting part this year is that we might sneak a QB without being in the top 5 for two reasons: 1) a lot of teams that are probably picking earlier already took a QB (Jets, Jaguars, Bears), don't own their pick (Colts, Dolphins), or might be locked into their current QB for contract reasons (Falcons, Colts); and 2) it's kind of a weaker QB class with some standouts at premium defensive positions. So I could see multiple QBs lasting past 5 and maybe even past 10.

Whatever happens, if we finish in the top 10 you almost certainly have to shoot your shot on a QB since we never pick that high.
To be honest I think their first and second priority in next year's draft should be OLine. Imo Mason will be adequate for a year or 2 while they retool the offense including offensive line and replace JuJu and most likely James Washington and Ebron. It's not like next year of they did choose a QB we'd be having a deep playoff or Super Bowl run or something. This team has a few holes they need to shore up. To me Mason will do okay while that happens and then in 2024 they should draft their hopefully franchise quarterback.

To be honest I think their first and second priority in next year's draft should be OLine. Imo Mason will be adequate for a year or 2 while they retool the offense including offensive line and replace JuJu and most likely James Washington and Ebron. It's not like next year of they did choose a QB we'd be having a deep playoff or Super Bowl run or something. This team has a few holes they need to shore up. To me Mason will do okay while that happens and then in 2024 they should draft their hopefully franchise quarterback.

The problem with that is that you never really have a chance to draft a franchise QB outside of the top 15 or so picks. Even guys like Fields and Mac Jones probably shouldn't have fallen as far as they did. So it's plausible you could go 7-10 with Mason and miss out on QB again.

If you're in range to pick a top QB and your best QB on the roster is Mason Rudolph, you pick the QB.

Reactions: Pitt79
The problem with that is that you never really have a chance to draft a franchise QB outside of the top 15 or so picks. Even guys like Fields and Mac Jones probably shouldn't have fallen as far as they did. So it's plausible you could go 7-10 with Mason and miss out on QB again.

If you're in range to pick a top QB and your best QB on the roster is Mason Rudolph, you pick the QB.
And it seems to me that if you miss, you do it again if you have the opportunity. Missing a high pick hurts especially at QB but too many teams hope against hope that their top QB pick will “get it” and end up wasting more years.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
But all the media said “Ben came to camp in the best shape of his life”. Or was that the year before, or the year before that or the the year before that. I can’t seem to remember. This reminds me of Franco trying to have one more year with Seattle. He was finished but didn’t want to accept it. Big Ben was finished also except he wanted another 15 million

That's because Kaboly or Bouchette would never say a critical word about their beloved stillers.

Reactions: 303vND
That's the thing, you never really know. Mahomes wasn't the first QB taken. Zach Wilson looks terrible. Justin Fields had more sack yards than passing yards. Tua is labeled as a game manager. And NONE of the QBs we'd get in 2022 will be as good as those guys were on paper. Gotta just take one that's "good enough" and coach him up.
There's Big Bens and then there's Ryan Leafs, you still have to ROLL THE DICE and risk getting the bust. People can disagree with me all they want, but for every Super Bowl won by Trent Dilfer or Nick Foles, there are 10 won by elite franchise QBs, many of whom where #1 picks.

And it seems to me that if you miss, you do it again if you have the opportunity. Missing a high pick hurts especially at QB but too many teams hope against hope that their top QB pick will “get it” and end up wasting more years.
TAKE THE RISK. Ben wasn't necessarily a sure thing, Bradshaw was thought to be a bust his early years. Better wasting years by taking that risk, than wasting them going 7-10 with Rudolph.

Reactions: lilspainishflea

Well I guess we will agree to disagree. I think what last year and this year has shown is that the offensive line is horrendous. That should be the first and second priorities this offseason and probably next offseason as well. Plus there aren't really any can't miss QB's that are being talked about for next draft. And to be honest I think with Mason next season, the loss of JuJu, James Washington most likely, and who knows who else, I think the Steelers might be picking top 10 again in 2023. I'm sorry but you go hard on OLine in next year's draft and potentially in 2023 as well. Theirs needs totally revamped.

You have an O-line that is full of backups out there every Sunday. How's that working?

I thought this was perhaps the worst Steelers draft in a long time when it came to addressing need. Harris and Freirmuth are very talented players that are playing well but when they gave Ben another year, why take your chances with a bad O-line when you had one of the deepest drafts for OL-men in ages? Plenty of good enough pro RB's were available as FA's. None of it makes sense.
I agree about our top two draft picks. Excellent prospects and two guys you want on your team. They are also "cherry on top guys." The Steelers thrived in recent years with excellent receivers and a strong offensive line. They needed to rebuild the offensive line and should've used higher draft picks for better talent rather than relying on the depth. You also let a guy like Trey Smith fall. He has 1st-2nd round talent. Why not take him in the fourth rather than a guy who may be a backup ILB for you?

ADVERTISEMENT