ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stillers

Didn’t realize that the Steelers had picked up Mateo Durant from Duke. He played well at Duke.

And more as to the speed of the game. I have no idea where I came across this or why I paid attention, but one of the biggest struggles the Dolphins were having with Tua is getting him to throw to open receivers. Open in the NFL is an exponentially smaller window than college and he had no idea guys were open. And maybe made more of a struggle coming from Bama where they had 5 stars littering the field that could fly.

Loved Teagues block but isn’t that illegal now?

I think it was legal because he hit the guy in his front rather than the back or side. The guy was looking one direction and running another, so if you looked at where he was looking it looked like he hit him in the side, but he actually hit him right on the numbers.

I think it was legal because he hit the guy in his front rather than the back or side. The guy was looking one direction and running another, so if you looked at where he was looking it looked like he hit him in the side, but he actually hit him right on the numbers.

If he hit him in the back, it would be a block in the back penalty. Crackbacks are designed to cover what that rule doesn't.

If he hit him in the back, it would be a block in the back penalty. Crackbacks are designed to cover what that rule doesn't.

But if you hit a guy on his numbers it's not a peel back block. A peel back block is on the defender's back or side, not on his front. Otherwise you basically wouldn't be able to block down field.

We, Pitt fans know !
I kid you not, a couple of my Penn State buddies were trying to talk it off like they were Mark Madden… “let’s see how he does against the first stringers.” College, NFL, preseason, regular season, doesn’t matter. It’s the same Kenny Pickett!

Reactions: BreakingPitt
But if you hit a guy on his numbers it's not a peel back block. A peel back block is on the defender's back or side, not on his front. Otherwise you basically wouldn't be able to block down field.

Didn't the rule used to apply to hits below the waist only? My understanding is that they moved it to above the waist also after that Hines Ward incident and maybe another few. I don't know; maybe "the side" is what they added. Looks like the rule says that but also says the near shoulder of the blocker can't contact the front of the defender's body.

But as far as blocking downfield goes, I know you have to be moving back toward the LOS. Not sure how technical they would get with that 30 yards past it. I've never seen that called even if the block was on the side.

Last edited:
I kid you not, a couple of my Penn State buddies were trying to talk it off like they were Mark Madden… “let’s see how he does against the first stringers.” College, NFL, preseason, regular season, doesn’t matter. It’s the same Kenny Pickett!
Madden will swing this into how Kenny sucks.. no doubt. He is a Duquesne loud mouth.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Tomln never had to go through a QB change, he is transparent to me tho.
There is no room for Rudolph on this roster IMO.
Honestly, I hope we keep him. I don’t think we’ve had this deep of a QB room since the Big Ben/Batch/Leftwich days. Only argument I see to trading him is that he’ll take reps away from Pickett, which ultimately I don’t think Rudolph will stunt his growth.

Honestly, I hope we keep him. I don’t think we’ve had this deep of a QB room since the Big Ben/Batch/Leftwich days. Only argument I see to trading him is that he’ll take reps away from Pickett, which ultimately I don’t think Rudolph will stunt his growth.
I hate when people say Room...... The group has become room.

Trubisky v Pickett ?
Can Mitch hold off this guy ?
But is the plan to throw Pickett to the wolves or baby step him and learn it slowly to protect him. I’d rather he not go out there and take hit after hit because the game is too fast for him. I like him learning and competing but not take the load too early. We can use Trubisky and use him more to not hurt the future of the team. Mitch is a fill in that can be serviceable until Pickett is ready. Be that late in season or next season. How soon do you really think a rookie is ready for first team defenses?

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I couldn't keep my eyes open to wait for Kenny. Watched some of the highlights this morning he looked confident and comfortable, went through progressions well. Loved the comfortable 1st play call for him, rolling out. Kenny has that down pat.

I'm glad Mason has done good in the preseason so far, it's give the Stillers a little more bait for a trade.

Ole George Pickens is a flat out dude. Really enjoy his interviews because he balances out his confidence in himself without sounding like a cocky, arrogant rookie. He's gonna be super fun to watch.

I mean he’s still relatively cheap and on his last year -
So not sure how much a market there is
maybe a 6th rounder or a practice body that’s about it
Yeah I mean someone will get a competent NFL backup on the cheap. I don’t think we ever felt we’d get more than a 6. I once heard someone suggest a 4…but I can’t see how any preseason game would move the needle at all. Have the Jets made a roster move yet?

you mean he is not gettin one of those big crazy paychecks ?
what is this world coming 2

1. MR is in his last year of a contract, I think. He won't take snaps from KP for long. I'm also ok with trading him.

2. Steelers OL is not that good. I'm ok with MT and MR taking the hits.

3. The Stiller's run defense is atrocious (I know they were playing scrubs a lot, but so is everyone else).

4. Now the KG is at guard instead of center, I hope he tries harder. He mentioned how he hated playing center to the press.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
The OL is still garbage. What a shame. The QB's are gonna get crushed and the TB's are gonna have to break tackles to scratch out 3 yd gains.

Pickett needs reps with top-line players next week. Pickett to Pickens looks like fun for the whole family for years to come.

He's on a one year $5m contract. Any draft pick and salary pickup and he's gone.

Doubt they cut him since they don't need cap space. Might get something for him during the season if QBs get hurt.

This is what will be interesting when we see the QBs try some deeper balls with tight windows. I think last night was just a highly vanilla protect your QBs and simply give Pickett a very safe entry into the NFL experience. But I sure hope they can start pushing the offense passing beyond that stat of just over 6 yards. That just gives us exactly what we had with Ben last year and we all wanted that to end.

John steigy is a great follow on Twitter.
Dude is real. Even if you don't always agree.
Probably cause he grew up in the south hills. Lol

Kenny is very much a classically trained musician at this point. Goes through the reads, puts the ball where it needs to be, etc. Very different from the days of Ben freelancing around. Whipple deserves a lot of credit for where Pickett is at right now.

But he (Kenny) just seemed like the most natural quarterback last night. And he does have a freelancing ability about him when need be. He appears to have thinned out a bit and gotten faster in the pocket. He was starting to lumber a bit last year (even on those Clemson scrambles), but he appeared to be back to his early, 2017 form last night. Only area of concern is that his sideline routes take a while to get there. But I'll be curious to see where this thing goes as he get more acclimated with the first teamers. Exciting time to be a fan.

I'll also say that Connor Heyward is going to be an asset on this team. I really like Gentry and Friermuth, so I still question the pick unless you're going to use him as an H-back and cut Watt. But he is just one of those dudes who isn't an ideal for for any one position but can play football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT