ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stillers

Stillers Thoughts and some media thoughts.
1) All 3 QB's looked fine. Kenny, even though it was 3rd stringers and future mailmen, he sill made the correct reads and throws. He showed poise and athleticism.
2) James McDaniel looked like literally a pylon on one play. It was hilarious. But they were getting some push and holes, the running backs did well.
3) George Pickens, we have all seen these guys. Guys who come in with talent and boom, right away, you can spot they are a bit different. Fitz, Shady, Sid, Cutch, etc... Pickens is definitely one of these types.
4) Run defense still not good, granted the entire starting DL did not play.
5) Devin Bush is just horrible. I mean he is cut worthy. He does absolutely nothing.
6) Sometimes I didn't understand Tomlin's decisions on certain things. Like punting on a 4th and 1. I mean it is the preseason, why not see what you can do. Especially when you have a backup P in there.
7) Mark Madden starts a narrative then doggedly refuses to give up like it is a chicken bone. It is great when it get shoved back up his large ass.
8) The sports chick on Channel 4. Emily something. Honestly, how did she get hired? She is the most annoying both voice and delivery media person I have heard in a long while.

Pretty much, yes.

Too many media members in this town who are pissed off that it isn't still 1979.
It stuns me how many of these guys who are paid to be sports "journalists" openly talk about how they don't follow this or that. Ron Cook, "if the NBA was playing in my backyard, I would draw the shades". Really? Just amazing. I don't expect them to be experts on all, but at least have some fundamental knowledge and curiosity on what is happening.

Stillers Thoughts and some media thoughts.
1) All 3 QB's looked fine. Kenny, even though it was 3rd stringers and future mailmen, he sill made the correct reads and throws. He showed poise and athleticism.
2) James McDaniel looked like literally a pylon on one play. It was hilarious. But they were getting some push and holes, the running backs did well.
3) George Pickens, we have all seen these guys. Guys who come in with talent and boom, right away, you can spot they are a bit different. Fitz, Shady, Sid, Cutch, etc... Pickens is definitely one of these types.
4) Run defense still not good, granted the entire starting DL did not play.
5) Devin Bush is just horrible. I mean he is cut worthy. He does absolutely nothing.
6) Sometimes I didn't understand Tomlin's decisions on certain things. Like punting on a 4th and 1. I mean it is the preseason, why not see what you can do. Especially when you have a backup P in there.
7) Mark Madden starts a narrative then doggedly refuses to give up like it is a chicken bone. It is great when it get shoved back up his large ass.
8) The sports chick on Channel 4. Emily something. Honestly, how did she get hired? She is the most annoying both voice and delivery media person I have heard in a long while.
My favorite Pickens play was when he just demolished a DB on a block. Treated the DB like a rag doll. Steelers might be the best team in the NFL at drafting WRs.

It stuns me how many of these guys who are paid to be sports "journalists" openly talk about how they don't follow this or that. Ron Cook, "if the NBA was playing in my backyard, I would draw the shades". Really? Just amazing. I don't expect them to be experts on all, but at least have some fundamental knowledge and curiosity on what is happening.

I guess that's the difference between you and I and some of those folks. For you and I we'd want to be a sports reporter or commentator because we love sports. For way too many of those guys it's a job. And one that they have because if not that, what else are they going to do, dig ditches?

I guess that's the difference between you and I and some of those folks. For you and I we'd want to be a sports reporter or commentator because we love sports. For way too many of those guys it's a job. And one that they have because if not that, what else are they going to do, dig ditches?
I do think some of them become bored and develop an ambivalence. Also, with some of the money athletes make and their boorish behaviors, a jaundiced view of sports.

That's obviously evident with Gene Collier who is obviously a bright guy and talented, but much prefers political topics now. The disdain and disgust and boredom he had when he was on those CW Nightly Sports calls made it both uncomfortable yet almost amusing at the same time.

I do think Filaponi's genuine wide eyed, almost teenager like enthusiasm for sports is a breath of fresh air to all the cynicism.

I do think some of them become bored and develop an ambivalence. Also, with some of the money athletes make and their boorish behaviors, a jaundiced view of sports.

That's obviously evident with Gene Collier who is obviously a bright guy and talented, but much prefers political topics now. The disdain and disgust and boredom he had when he was on those CW Nightly Sports calls made it both uncomfortable yet almost amusing at the same time.

I do think Filaponi's genuine wide eyed, almost teenager like enthusiasm for sports is a breath of fresh air to all the cynicism.

I think a part of it too is that as a reporter these guys aren't supposed to be fans of the team that they are covering, they are supposed to be an impartial observer (at least that's the theory). And so they just turn off their "fandom" all together.

Collier is an example of what I was saying about "what else are they going to do". For pretty much his whole life Collier has desperately wanted to be a comedian. He even does (or at least did in the past) comedy shows. The problem is that he is about the least funny person on the face of the earth. He didn't get into sports writing and commentary because he loved sports, he got into it because he wasn't good enough at what he desperately wanted to do.

I get it, though. It's like not wanting to eat the food at a place you've worked at for 40 years. Plus some of those guys have to get up so early that they don't even have a chance to watch the games. But at least the younger guys actually know what's going on. That people put so much credence in some of the hosts' opinions is kind of lame. It's just because they want instant gratification or something.

I get it, though. It's like not wanting to eat the food at a place you've worked at for 40 years. Plus some of those guys have to get up so early that they don't even have a chance to watch the games. But at least the younger guys actually know what's going on. That people put so much credence in some of the hosts' opinions is kind of lame. It's just because they want instant gratification or something.
Of course none of those folks are forced to eat at the same restaurant for every meal.
They can do Something else

And more as to the speed of the game. I have no idea where I came across this or why I paid attention, but one of the biggest struggles the Dolphins were having with Tua is getting him to throw to open receivers. Open in the NFL is an exponentially smaller window than college and he had no idea guys were open. And maybe made more of a struggle coming from Bama where they had 5 stars littering the field that could fly.

Willis got yanked for a moment because the coach couldn't understand why he wasn't throwing to open receivers.

Last edited:
I'd like one of the local sports radio guys to refuse to promote sports gaming. Just say. screw it I;ll read the spot but don't expect me to talk point spreads and over/unders because a lot of listeners dont give a shit and just want to talk about the games.

Something else I thought of from last night: I think Pomp is a really good play-by-play announcer. Him and Rob King would be good candidates for when Bill retires.

Reactions: mike 301
That's not even an original by Cook. That comment was first made by a long ago P-G sportswriter named Chet Smith, who said it about the NCAA basketball tournament.

Hopefully. This is the steeler offense though so…

6yds per completion I’m told is horrific. Or maybe that’s just horrific when Rudolph is the QB. With Kenny it’s ok.
One of them has 400 career attempts and the other has 0. That's the difference.

And more as to the speed of the game. I have no idea where I came across this or why I paid attention, but one of the biggest struggles the Dolphins were having with Tua is getting him to throw to open receivers. Open in the NFL is an exponentially smaller window than college and he had no idea guys were open. And maybe made more of a struggle coming from Bama where they had 5 stars littering the field that could fly.

Tua doesn't have a problem throwing to open receivers. His problems are that he had a historically bad OL (32nd in rushing O if you take out Tua's yards that he got himself; and his sack rate was like 4% lower than Brissett behind the same personnel) and 1 above-replacement level player on offense, who was a rookie.

Last year the Dolphins gave like 1,000 routes to Albert Wilson, Durham Smythe, Mack Hollins, Isaiah Ford, and Adam Shaheen. Devante Parker and Mike Gesicki have feet made out of quicksand. Every Dolphins skill room was bottom 5 and his coaching situation was a toxic waste dump.

He's gonna ball this year.

Tua doesn't have a problem throwing to open receivers. His problems are that he had a historically bad OL (32nd in rushing O if you take out Tua's yards that he got himself; and his sack rate was like 4% lower than Brissett behind the same personnel) and 1 above-replacement level player on offense, who was a rookie.

Last year the Dolphins gave like 1,000 routes to Albert Wilson, Durham Smythe, Mack Hollins, Isaiah Ford, and Adam Shaheen. Devante Parker and Mike Gesicki have feet made out of quicksand. Every Dolphins skill room was bottom 5 and his coaching situation was a toxic waste dump.

He's gonna ball this year.

“For me, a lot of the time I see guys who are covered, but they’re not necessarily covered, if that makes sense," Tagovailoa said.

I thought Kenny played great.

- Great decisions pre and post snap
- Time to throw very fast, more than a full second faster than at Pitt
- Great placement
- Good mobility
- Arm strength on the out from the far hash (game winning throw) was adequate

I'm never going to complain about a QB taking open throws. Brady made a career out of hitting the open stuff underneath and not turning the ball over. If ya'll prefer arm talent to professional quarterbacking, there's always Zach Wilson.

“For me, a lot of the time I see guys who are covered, but they’re not necessarily covered, if that makes sense," Tagovailoa said.

This is a top 1% NFL throw. 95 yard touchdown and Jakeem Grant drops it. The difference between Tua and Burrow is a lot smaller than people think. Burrow just has a HoF WR, a top 15 WR, and a real professional like Tyler Boyd and Tua has way more bums like Jakeem Grant.

Tyreek houses this pass easily.

This is a top 1% NFL throw. 95 yard touchdown and Jakeem Grant drops it. The difference between Tua and Burrow is a lot smaller than people think. Burrow just has a HoF WR, a top 15 WR, and a real professional like Tyler Boyd and Tua has way more bums like Jakeem Grant.

Tyreek houses this pass easily.
Cool. Doesn’t change anything about what I said. That article is old so maybe he got better. But my point stands. It’s not overnight for a lot of guys. They have to get used to a new level.

And of course upgrading his WRs will help tremendously. Understood.

Mark Madden on Aug. 8: “Kenny Pickett isn’t ready for exhibition games.”

Mark Madden on Aug. 15:

The horse manure (or should I say Cow manure) gets deep with Maddens every article ...

One of them has 400 career attempts and the other has 0. That's the difference.
Word on the street is that Detroit has an interest in trading for Rudolph. I hope it happens asap. They know that on that Sunday afternoon with rain and wind vs the Steelers last season, Rudolph was the best player on the field. That should be good enough for a draft pick.

Reactions: pittdan77
Also some reports that the Jets are looking for a backup QB, and Rudolph's name was mentioned.

Pickett was reportedly electric yesterday in practice, minus an INT on the last throw of the day. It was his only incompletion.
I really want to see him throwing to guys like Pickens, DJ and Friemuth. I hope I’m not getting out over my skis here, but the kid is going to be right there with Mitch, or better, by Sept 1. Not that it will matter as Tomlin seems to have his mind made up…

I really want to see him throwing to guys like Pickens, DJ and Friemuth. I hope I’m not getting out over my skis here, but the kid is going to be right there with Mitch, or better, by Sept 1. Not that it will matter as Tomlin seems to have his mind made up…

He threw a beautiful TD fade to Muth that's on Twitter.

I'd still start Mitch but I'm way more confident that Pickett will be ready when his time comes instead of just hoping he'll figure it out.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

Only personal downside right now is that I'm going to have to tirelessly defend Pickett the entire time he's in Pittsburgh. So many people have already made their minds up that he was a bad pick, and it's so annoying. He put up the best passer rating for a rookie in 30 years or whatever it was, and I already got into it with someone who told me, "I told you his athleticism wouldn't translate to this level." That was in reference to the sacks he took. And the short passes were another point of criticism he made. It's just so annoying. I'm sure the PSU and WVU Steeler fans will maintain a sense of heightened skepticism, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT