ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stillers

Only personal downside right now is that I'm going to have to tirelessly defend Pickett the entire time he's in Pittsburgh. So many people have already made their minds up that he was a bad pick, and it's so annoying. He put up the best passer rating for a rookie in 30 years or whatever it was, and I already got into it with someone who told me, "I told you his athleticism wouldn't translate to this level." That was in reference to the sacks he took. And the short passes were another point of criticism he made. It's just so annoying. I'm sure the PSU and WVU Steeler fans will maintain a sense of heightened skepticism, too.
Pittsburgh is a terrible market for QBs. Local fans are the worst. It’s why I take the Rudolph contrarian position all the time. Yes Rudolph isn’t Joe Burrow, and he’s not Roethlisberger in his prime. But give an opportunity with 1st team reps and I’m sure he’s adequate. But you’d never know it based on emotional steeler fans. I’ll disagree with you slightly though. Rudolph got booed the other night. In my opinion it wasn’t due to him simply being Rudolph…I think he was booed because he wasn’t Kenny, and the fans wanted Kenny.

Pittsburgh is a terrible market for QBs. Local fans are the worst. It’s why I take the Rudolph contrarian position all the time. Yes Rudolph isn’t Joe Burrow, and he’s not Roethlisberger in his prime. But give an opportunity with 1st team reps and I’m sure he’s adequate. But you’d never know it based on emotional steeler fans. I’ll disagree with you slightly though. Rudolph got booed the other night. In my opinion it wasn’t due to him simply being Rudolph…I think he was booed because he wasn’t Kenny, and the fans wanted Kenny.

Oh, there's no doubt the Pitt fans want Kenny. But what percentage of Steeler fans are Pitt fans - 60%?

And I'll admit I'm one of the guys who thinks Rudolph sucks, lol. I don't love how he's been treated here, though. First Ben getting pissed, and now the fans booing him. But the fact that Kenny already looks more commanding in the pocket is kind of telling to me.

And I do acknowledge that running with the third team might not be the greatest barometer, and he (Kenny) didn't really have to make any crazy throws downfield. But if someone can't at least tip his or her cap and say, "so far, so good" when it comes to Kenny's performance, then they clearly have an agenda.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Oh, there's no doubt the Pitt fans want Kenny. But what percentage of Steeler fans are Pitt fans - 60%?

And I'll admit I'm one of the guys who thinks Rudolph sucks, lol. I don't love how he's been treated here, though. First Ben getting pissed, and now the fans booing him. But the fact that Kenny already looks more commanding in the pocket is kind of telling to me.

And I do acknowledge that running with the third team might not be the greatest barometer, and he (Kenny) didn't really have to make any crazy throws downfield. But if someone can't at least tip his or her cap and say, "so far, so good" when it comes to Kenny's performance, then they clearly have an agenda.

The 3rd string stuff cuts both ways. Yes, Kenny got to pick on an easier defense but he also threw to Tyler Vaughns (who won't make the team) and Conner Heyward (who might, but will top out at 40 targets) instead of Pickens and Pat F. He also had the worst line.

I think it balances out. He ran with the 2s yesterday in practice and reportedly lit it up.

The 3rd string stuff cuts both ways. Yes, Kenny got to pick on an easier defense but he also threw to Tyler Vaughns (who won't make the team) and Conner Heyward (who might, but will top out at 40 targets) instead of Pickens and Pat F. He also had the worst line.

I think it balances out. He ran with the 2s yesterday in practice and reportedly lit it up.

Yeah, I'm not saying it only cuts one way or anything - just that it's helter skelter in general and just not a good measuring stick one way or the other. Most of those guys aren't NFL players. I'm very curious to see Kenny with the 2s this coming Saturday.

Yeah, I'm not saying it only cuts one way or anything - just that it's helter skelter in general and just not a good measuring stick one way or the other. Most of those guys aren't NFL players. I'm very curious to see Kenny with the 2s this coming Saturday.
Another thing…Kenny threw a pick to end practice yesterday. Does anyone know the nature of the pick? As an example, Rudolph almost threw a pick in the game the other night. But that was due to heyward running the wrong route, or in the very least being on a different page than the QB. That’s obviously going to happen more so than not when QBs are throwing to guys who are trying to make the team.

Another thing…Kenny threw a pick to end practice yesterday. Does anyone know the nature of the pick? As an example, Rudolph almost threw a pick in the game the other night. But that was due to heyward running the wrong route, or in the very least being on a different page than the QB. That’s obviously going to happen more so than not when QBs are throwing to guys who are trying to make the team.

No idea. Could have been a Hail Mary for all we know. I'd go insane if I kept up with what the guys observing practice are reporting, though. They've seemingly been all over the place. I listened to one of them on the FAN one day and basically just walked away thinking, "Huh?"

This notion some Pittsburghers hold that Pickett needs to be a finished product ASAP is also insane. But I guess that's the NFL in general nowadays. You used to get multiple years to develop. Now, you're a bust if you have a bad training camp as a rookie.

He threw his pick in a simulated two minute drill per the Trib (which in typical Pgh media fashion, highlighted that). Horrors!

All I know is that Arthur Maulet cut underneath a route from Gunner O. Sounds like it was a short pass.

Do Pitt fans want whoever is the 2nd string TE to play over Pat Frieremuth? Did Pitt fans also who are Steelers fans root against Jack Ham and Franco?? Never quite got this. It is the same thing as people who lose their job, or don't have a pot to piss in to begin with, support the opposing party from blocking a bill that would make their lives better, because they don't want to help the other party look good.

Maybe I am selfish, at the end of the day, I want what is best for me. Period.

Your position is silly
We know what Rudolph is
He’s played with starters
He’s a decent backup quality qb
That’s ok

it’s not just yinzers.
It’s objective .
On a subjective basis he’s in year 4 he seems hesitant and unsure
Frankly Kenny commanded the offense like a veteran

Do Pitt fans want whoever is the 2nd string TE to play over Pat Frieremuth? Did Pitt fans also who are Steelers fans root against Jack Ham and Franco?? Never quite got this. It is the same thing as people who lose their job, or don't have a pot to piss in to begin with, support the opposing party from blocking a bill that would make their lives better, because they don't want to help the other party look good.

I do want Zach Gentry to play more (as a second te not to replace par) and I sure wanted the backup te to play more since Ebron was terrible

Your position is silly
We know what Rudolph is
He’s played with starters
He’s a decent backup quality qb
That’s ok

it’s not just yinzers.
It’s objective .
On a subjective basis he’s in year 4 he seems hesitant and unsure
Frankly Kenny commanded the offense like a veteran
You’re making points that aren’t counter to anything I said. And nobody is comparing Kenny to Mason. I said Mason is an adequate QB, which is another way of saying he’s an NFL QB. He’s never going to be a franchise QB, which Kenny looks like he can be. Make the distinction…there are franchise QB’s, there are NFL QB’s, and then there qB’s who need to start selling insurance. Talk to yinzers and they don’t even think Rudolph is an NFL QB…and that’s asinine.

You’re making points that aren’t counter to anything I said. And nobody is comparing Kenny to Mason. I said Mason is an adequate QB, which is another way of saying he’s an NFL QB. He’s never going to be a franchise QB, which Kenny looks like he can be. Make the distinction…there are franchise QB’s, there are NFL QB’s, and then there qB’s who need to start selling insurance. Talk to yinzers and they don’t even think Rudolph is an NFL QB…and that’s asinine.
Your position is silly because it’s blowing down a straw man that nobody is making

I talk to plenty of yinzers -
Those same yinzers wanted Mason to play last year because dead arm frankenben was bad

he got a start last year - he wasn’t any good

there is a lot of room between “he stinks “ as in shouldn’t be a starter -and “he stinks “ he can’t play at all

you assume the latter

Your position is silly because it’s blowing down a straw man that nobody is making

I talk to plenty of yinzers -
Those same yinzers wanted Mason to play last year because dead arm frankenben was bad

he got a start last year - he wasn’t any good

there is a lot of room between “he stinks “ as in shouldn’t be a starter -and “he stinks “ he can’t play at all

you assume the latter
Ha. Well now you’re not make any sense because he wasnt bad as you said, he was adequate in that start and led his team to a win…just like Ben did in some games…except the depleted WR corp fumbled the game away. He had no offensive line, 1 receiver, no running game, 50 mile an hour wind gusts and rain, and a defense that allowed a 3rd string running back to rush for 300 yards on them. And on this board there were posters saying that he’s not an NFL QB and that’s hogwash.

Maybe I am selfish, at the end of the day, I want what is best for me. Period

If the backup is a Pitt player and is even anywhere similar in quality, yeah I would want it, a trillion percent. Like say if they had J. P. Holtz, he would be comparable to Friarmuth.

Ideally the Nit wouldn’t be on “my” team at all. It honestly makes me throw up a little in my mouth when there is one. It is probably a bit how the Americans and British felt about being allies with Stalin. Or having to root for Iraq when they fought Iran. I don’t care either that Friarmuth probably didn’t rape anyone. Yeah, probably didn’t. Probably. Is it too late to do a background check?

Anyway, it would be like if a modern day person is wearing a gestapo uniform. Yeah technically he didn’t bake anyone in the ovens, but he represents the evil. They shouldn’t have a program. His mere existence mocks everything that is good and moral.

Ha. Well now you’re not make any sense because he wasnt bad as you said, he was adequate in that start and led his team to a win…just like Ben did in some games…except the depleted WR corp fumbled the game away. He had no offensive line, 1 receiver, no running game, 50 mile an hour wind gusts and rain, and a defense that allowed a 3rd string running back to rush for 300 yards on them. And on this board there were posters saying that he’s not an NFL QB and that’s hogwash.
That's all true (not the wind gust part) as was the fact every single one of his flaws was on full display. Lack of pocket presence, so-so accuracy, not throwing guys open, subpar throwing on the run, etc. Rudolph showed what he was and that's a quality backup and spot starter. There's not point to moving forward with him as a starter on the team this year and it's clear that was never in the plans.

TJ Watt, Cam Heyward, and Najee Harris were three guys considered leaders who talked about bringing in a guy from the outside to start at QB this year. Colbert not only signed Trubisky, but he drafted Pickett. Zero endorsements for Rudolph from the team itself. That's not to say he's a garbage QB, just not a guy who is going to lead a consistently winning team, which is what the Steelers want to be.

Reactions: BreakingPitt

I will root for Freirmeueth as long as he is a Steeler. When a guy isn't that good, like a Jesse James for instance, I am more inclined to be biased against the Penn State guys.

That's all true (not the wind gust part) as was the fact every single one of his flaws was on full display. Lack of pocket presence, so-so accuracy, not throwing guys open, subpar throwing on the run, etc. Rudolph showed what he was and that's a quality backup and spot starter. There's not point to moving forward with him as a starter on the team this year and it's clear that was never in the plans.

TJ Watt, Cam Heyward, and Najee Harris were three guys considered leaders who talked about bringing in a guy from the outside to start at QB this year. Colbert not only signed Trubisky, but he drafted Pickett. Zero endorsements for Rudolph from the team itself. That's not to say he's a garbage QB, just not a guy who is going to lead a consistently winning team, which is what the Steelers want to be.
I think with some guys, they might be quality players with some potential, but for whatever reason the magic didn’t happen with their original team, they get snakebit, they get kind of typecast as a loser in that city, and the change of scenery might do him good. Could be the case for Rudolph (but not if he goes to the Lions, where it is totally hopeless)

Yeah all good points. I’m with you. I’ll disagree a bit on the Lions game. The chips were stacked against him and there were other things that contributed too. But I think the main point is the Steelers know what they have in him and there’s a reason they made two off season deals at the position.

I’ll say something else about Rudolph, he has zero charisma. Does that mean he has bad huddle presense? Probably a good bet…which is another reason the Steelers know what they have and did what they did this Spring.

He didn’t win the game
He failed to win the game against arguably the worst team in the nfl

he’s a dude destined to be a backup at best for a few years
Until he’s cut loose for good
no shame in that
If the Steelers don’t trade him, they won’t resign him and he won’t have much of a market unless a team has an injury and needs depth .

I’ll say something else about Rudolph, he has zero charisma. Does that mean he has bad huddle presense? Probably a good bet…which is another reason the Steelers know what they have and did what they did this Spring.
That QB "it' factor that you can't quantify. I agree.

Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, etc. all have incredible talent, but so do a bunch of other guys. They also have those intangibles that separates them from the pack. Rudolph doesn't have it. I really think Pickett does.

Its not a matter if the Steelers would trade Rudolph for a 5th, its a matter if someone will give that up for him because the Steelers would take that pretty quickly.
I think Mason's days are numbered in black and gold. All he is doing is taking away reps from the other two and he is not in the long term plans at all.

Its not a matter if the Steelers would trade Rudolph for a 5th, its a matter if someone will give that up for him because the Steelers would take that pretty quickly.
I think Mason's days are numbered in black and gold. All he is doing is taking away reps from the other two and he is not in the long term plans at all.
Bingo.

I'm talking about from other teams' perspectives. There's no way anybody views him as a starter, and he has one year left. Is that worth a 5th? Maybe to a championship contender as an insurance policy if their guys goes down for a few weeks. I can't so who else would give that up, though.

I'm talking about from other teams' perspectives. There's no way anybody views him as a starter, and he has one year left. Is that worth a 5th? Maybe to a championship contender as an insurance policy if their guys goes down for a few weeks. I can't so who else would give that up, though.
There are worse players traded every August. I'm not sure if anyone would give up a 5th, but I could see a team willing to go that high. There aren't many good backup QBs in the NFL. I think Rudolph is one of the better backups in the league.

There are worse players traded every August. I'm not sure if anyone would give up a 5th, but I could see a team willing to go that high. There aren't many good backup QBs in the NFL. I think Rudolph is one of the better backups in the league.
He’ll be cut .
That’s how this ends

Rudolph should actually prefer to be cut so he can make his own best deal. Vs being traded to the freaking Lions? He should go to Canada or wait for the next XFL iteration if that happens😂

Rudolph should actually prefer to be cut so he can make his own best deal. Vs being traded to the freaking Lions? He should go to Canada or wait for the next XFL iteration if that happens😂
Even the lions aren’t stupid enough to give up anything for him
Let’s be real

Asking for a 3, but if someone offered a 6 I take it and run!!

Asking for a 3, but if someone offered a 6 I take it and run!!

He has more potential than most probably think, and much like guys like Stafford, etc he might benefit from a change of scenery. Somebody may think in this manner and look to deal for him. But, the other teams know that the Steelers have no intention to go into the season with three guys, so that cuts their leverage down.

He has more potential than most probably think, and much like guys like Stafford, etc he might benefit from a change of scenery. Somebody may think in this manner and look to deal for him. But, the other teams know that the Steelers have no intention to go into the season with three guys, so that cuts their leverage down.
If NFL teams though that he has that much potential a team would give up a 3. If he hits the open market anyone can sign him so giving up a pick would be worth acquiring him. He’s a lifetime backup that isn’t gonna get much.

My 3rd rounder comment prior was complete saracasm so it’s clear I’m not flip flopping.

Stafford was viewed as being a very good QB even in Detroit. He didn’t get any better, he just benefitted by finally having enough talent around him. I was hoping Ben’s arm would fall off and somehow a miracle would happen and he’d go to the Stillers.

ADVERTISEMENT