ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stupid Golfing Rules strikes again!

If only it were as simple as “hit it where they ain’t”, right? Infield ground balls don’t have the potential for a fly out, so the runners have to run. Infield fly balls do, so the runners have to chose between the field purposely dropping a fly, picking it up to step on the bag and throwing to another base for a force, or running into a double play by getting doubled off.
Cricket is better than baseball.

Not to be all old time baseball guy, but in 1941 a dropped third strike ended up being the decisive play in a World Series. Hugh Casey’s strikeout of Tommy Henrich for the final out was dropped by Mickey Owen and led to a Yankees 9th inning rally to beat the Dodgers. Instead of the series being tied 2-2 the Yankees went up 3-1 and ended it in the following game.

The circumstances were a little different than Donnie Moore’s, but Casey also ended up taking his own life a few year later.

On the golfing note. Matsuyama was a matter of when, not if, in regards to winning a major. Probably not the most exciting victory, and especially when Schauffle put his tee shot in the pond at 16, it was over.

Yeah, Xander had caught fire and it was getting interesting. Then he deposited that ball in the drink on 16 to take a triple. Match over.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Replay has changed the perception of the way rules are enforced. I have no problem with someone going back and checking on a call if it's pretty clear it was close and everyone watching questioned it. That didn't happen here and watching it, I'm still not sure I see the infraction. The fact that play didn't even stop kind of makes it worse. Imagine going back and changing the score later in a football game. Or even after. That's the bad look to me.

Replay has changed the perception of the way rules are enforced. I have no problem with someone going back and checking on a call if it's pretty clear it was close and everyone watching questioned it. That didn't happen here and watching it, I'm still not sure I see the infraction. The fact that play didn't even stop kind of makes it worse. Imagine going back and changing the score later in a football game. Or even after. That's the bad look to me.
That's just it. I mean the genie is out of the bottle now, but replay was designed to make sure egregious errors are reviewed and corrected. It is funny, it seems to do that LESS than it does obfuscate and add further complexity to rule interpretations, pixel by pixel.

I guess to use this as an analogy. Say the police come up with some new crime solver radar, that is used to find missing people, murder/murder weapons, and the police now use it to see if you didn't come to a full, complete stop at some residential, inconsequential stop sign.

That's just it. I mean the genie is out of the bottle now, but replay was designed to make sure egregious errors are reviewed and corrected. It is funny, it seems to do that LESS than it does obfuscate and add further complexity to rule interpretations, pixel by pixel.

I guess to use this as an analogy. Say the police come up with some new crime solver radar, that is used to find missing people, murder/murder weapons, and the police now use it to see if you didn't come to a full, complete stop at some residential, inconsequential stop sign.
That's a funny analogy. Speaks to the nature of things as much as anything. I appreciate that you have to draw a line somewhere but this feels like a judgement call that could go either way.

The infield fly rule is absolutely a good idea, because without it any time a team had runners on first and second or the bases loaded and zero or one outs a pop up on the infield would be an almost automatic double or triple play.
Not a triple play. Unless the batter is lazy. He should be getting down the line. With one on and less than two outs, and if there is a very fast runner at first base.....you could argue that it makes sense to let the ball drop, pick it up, and throw to second to erase faster runner. Again , batter better be moving.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT