ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ted Lasso

doubleAA's

Freshman
Aug 26, 2005
Ok, so, avid mask wearer here who got covid this week at work, so home and last night looked for something to binge watch. Someone on here mentioned this show was good. Getting me to watch a series about soccer was akin to getting me to go to a lilith fair concert. But, I love Jason Sudekis stuff so gave it a try, and it was fantastic! Way better than I thought it would be.

I am feeling good by the way, just cant taste or smell anything. No other issues yet.

Any other suggestions on new shows out that yins can recommend? Or even movies.

Not sure if you like documentaries and/or have HBO, but “I’ll Be Gone in the Dark” about Michelle McNamara, the true crime writer who hunted the Golden State Killer, was amazing. 6 episodes. Fantastic.

Reactions: President Stache
Not sure if you like documentaries and/or have HBO, but “I’ll Be Gone in the Dark” about Michelle McNamara, the true crime writer who hunted the Golden State Killer, was amazing. 6 episodes. Fantastic.

I watched that too, very good

Reactions: JD1976
Ok, so, avid mask wearer here who got covid this week at work, so home and last night looked for something to binge watch. Someone on here mentioned this show was good. Getting me to watch a series about soccer was akin to getting me to go to a lilith fair concert. But, I love Jason Sudekis stuff so gave it a try, and it was fantastic! Way better than I thought it would be.

I am feeling good by the way, just cant taste or smell anything. No other issues yet.

By the way, get well soon. I also watcheda show “The Serpent” about a serial killer on BBC, it’s good too, although pretty rough

Reactions: doubleAA's
No recommendations, just wanted to mention that Jason Sudekis is one of my favorite SNL cast members. That dude killed it every single time. He's been hit or miss in movies since but I'd love to check this out. Too bad it's on Apple tv.

I absolutely recommend defending Jacob on Apple TV. My wife and I were glued too it.

If you like soccer, watch The English Game on Netflix. Two other Netflix shows that are great are Cobra Kai and Godless. Yellowstone is also fantastic on Paramont.

Reactions: Mikefln
30 Coins on HBO has been good so far if you don’t mind subtitles. Like most horror genre there are elements of the characters or story that miss. But it is very creepy and suspenseful.

Since you are already on Apple TV, Tehran is fairly good. But you will have to read about 35% subtitles unless you speak Farsi. It was so good that I didn't mind reading a bit....

I just finished my 2 week Covid vacation. Watched A LOT of tv. Yellowstone, Cobra Kai, The Boys were all entertaining. I’m about halfway through It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia on Hulu. I have no idea why I haven’t been watching it from the beginning.

Get well soon.

Been hearing good things about Lasso from trusted sources.

Other trusted sources turned me on to The Last Kingdom on Netflix. Binged all 4 seasons in short order. Phenomenal.

If you like soccer, watch The English Game on Netflix. Two other Netflix shows that are great are Cobra Kai and Godless. Yellowstone is also fantastic on Paramont.
Netflix had Maradona in Mexico. A show that followed Maradona coaching a lower level Mexican team. You could see his health struggles during the show, and since he recently passed worth a watch. I really liked it, and if you know anything about Maradona you’ll get it.

Reactions: Pantherguy4
I’ll co-sign on the Ted Lasso love, was not expecting it to be that good. Mythic Quest on Apple TV+ is also really good and I’m not even into video games, it’s the best workplace comedy since the first few season of The Office.

Last edited:

Hope you feel better real soon! H2P

Ted Lasso has really become a sleeper "mega show."

At first, I was disappointed because I was expecting the Ted Lasso from the NBC soccer ads from 2013....who was basically that stereotypical "gym teacher" football coach type. So I was expecting a slapstick. Maybe like some mix of Happy Gilmore, The Waterboy, and Eastbound & Down. Instead, although still technically a comedy, it had more of a Friday Night Lights drama feel which isnt a bad thing.

The character Ted reminds me the most of is Leslie Knope from Parks and Rec in that they both seem to not know what they're doing but also be very good at what they're doing at the same time.

My 2 favorite moments on the show:

- when Ted recites the AI "practice" speech to his star player who is trying to skip practice faking an injury

- when Ted tries to explain how in American sports, teams who arent in contention for anything midway through the season just play the other half of the season for no real purpose. The team doesn't understand how they can play for "nothing" because in Euro soccer, you are ALWAYS playing to "stay up." Their relegation battle provides a compelling storyline. I definitely recommend this show.

Ted Lasso has really become a sleeper "mega show."

At first, I was disappointed because I was expecting the Ted Lasso from the NBC soccer ads from 2013....who was basically that stereotypical "gym teacher" football coach type. So I was expecting a slapstick. Maybe like some mix of Happy Gilmore, The Waterboy, and Eastbound & Down. Instead, although still technically a comedy, it had more of a Friday Night Lights drama feel which isnt a bad thing.

The character Ted reminds me the most of is Leslie Knope from Parks and Rec in that they both seem to not know what they're doing but also be very good at what they're doing at the same time.

My 2 favorite moments on the show:

- when Ted recites the AI "practice" speech to his star player who is trying to skip practice faking an injury

- when Ted tries to explain how in American sports, teams who arent in contention for anything midway through the season just play the other half of the season for no real purpose. The team doesn't understand how they can play for "nothing" because in Euro soccer, you are ALWAYS playing to "stay up." Their relegation battle provides a compelling storyline. I definitely recommend this show.
Apple seems to have produced some pretty good content lately. Might have to look into getting it...

The team doesn't understand how they can play for "nothing" because in Euro soccer, you are ALWAYS playing to "stay up."

The notion that European soccer teams always have something to play for is one of those things that people who don't really understand European soccer like to say to make themselves sound like they know what they are talking about.

There will be teams in every single league in Europe playing for absolutely nothing in another month or so.

The notion that European soccer teams always have something to play for is one of those things that people who don't really understand European soccer like to say to make themselves sound like they know what they are talking about.

There will be teams in every single league in Europe playing for absolutely nothing in another month or so.

I know but its not until later in the season that those solidly middle of the table teams are safe enough from relegation but without any realistic chance of qualifying for Europe.

Yeah but the fact that Lasso’s squad was playing the top team in the league on the last Sunday of the season with so much on the line speaks to SMF’s point.
On the flip side, there is absolutely no reason to pay attention to the Pittsburgh Pirates and pitchers and catchers haven’t even reported yet.

Yeah but the fact that Lasso’s squad was playing the top team in the league on the last Sunday of the season with so much on the line speaks to SMF’s point.
On the flip side, there is absolutely no reason to pay attention to the Pittsburgh Pirates and pitchers and catchers haven’t even reported yet.

Well I've never seen the show, so I don't know the specifics of the situation.

However there is just as much reason to pay attention to the Pirates as there is to pay attention to someone like West Brom. Which is to say, not a whole heck of a lot.

Well I've never seen the show, so I don't know the specifics of the situation.

However there is just as much reason to pay attention to the Pirates as there is to pay attention to someone like West Brom. Which is to say, not a whole heck of a lot.

Nah, I disagree. One of the main accomplishments for a club like West Brom is to stay up. Fans of clubs who get relegated know it could be years or a generation before they ever make it back to the top flight so the season has a great deal of meaning. A team like the Pirates are playing for no purpose at all.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Nah, I disagree. One of the main accomplishments for a club like West Brom is to stay up. Fans of clubs who get relegated know it could be years or a generation before they ever make it back to the top flight so the season has a great deal of meaning. A team like the Pirates are playing for no purpose at all.

And West Brom had approximately the same chance to stay up as the Pirates have of making the playoffs. They are awful. Everyone knew they were going to be awful. Their best (only) hope to stay up was to absolutely catch lightning in a bottle and win some games they have no business winning. Which is exactly the same chance the Pirate have.

And West Brom had approximately the same chance to stay up as the Pirates have of making the playoffs. They are awful. Everyone knew they were going to be awful. Their best (only) hope to stay up was to absolutely catch lightning in a bottle and win some games they have no business winning. Which is exactly the same chance the Pirate have.

You're saying West Brom had the same chance of finishing 17th or higher out of 20 than the Pirates had of making the playoffs? Come on.

Patriot on Amazon.....really underrated 2 seasons....dark comedy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT