ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, B10

texas and Oklahoma go to the Big 10, could you imagine the TV deal they'd get.. Yikes, they are already at what, 40mill+ with new deal.. Man, that would be a sick football conference..

i think it is clear.......the Big 12 is on shakiest ground.

If so.....then it is certainly reasonable that the Big Ten will pick off those schools that make the most sense.

I have always thought Kansas would be an excellent fit for the Big Ten......

Interesting they are about to sink 300 mill into football............

Kansas football? Man, they are the western version of Rutgers. Horrendous program with a few years of decent play in early/mid 00's. hell, at least Rutgers can say they started college football. Kansas football?

texas and Oklahoma go to the Big 10, could you imagine the TV deal they'd get.. Yikes, they are already at what, 40mill+ with new deal.. Man, that would be a sick football conference..
Don't see the benefit for Texas and/or Oklahoma to join the Big Ten other then the financial reward. Pretty sure that both of those schools would love to play for a National Championship at some point and joining the Big Ten puts major roadblocks such as Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State and Wisconsin in their way EVERY year. Their chances of just playing in the National Championship game drop drastically versus playing in the Big 12, winning that title and then getting into the national playoffs.

Kansas football? Man, they are the western version of Rutgers. Horrendous program with a few years of decent play in early/mid 00's. hell, at least Rutgers can say they started college football. Kansas football?

Granted Kansas' football glory is limited, but they did win a major bowl game, the Orange Bowl, and finished ranked in the top 10, #7 in 2007 with a 12-1 record. Neither of which Pitt has done in the last 30+ years.

Granted Kansas' football glory is limited, but they did win a major bowl game, the Orange Bowl, and finished ranked in the top 10, #7 in 2007 with a 12-1 record. Neither of which Pitt has done in the last 30+ years.
lol, yeah, you are right. Kansas is fantastic. like I said, they are Rutgers.. why are you here, seriously? All I hear from psu fans is how we are obsessed with them but none of us are on your board and you guys come over here, to remind us, how much we are obsessed with psu.. do you see the irony in this?

OK, that and Gale Sayers... nothing else. lol

If and it's a big if Texas & Oklahoma decide to make a move it will be toward the SEC not the Big Ten keep in mind if the Sooners leave OK St is joined at the hip because of state politics and a guy named T Boone. I don't see it happening

I always said many Sports Lawyers and Business Media Consultants told me, the Power Conferences should go to Four 18 to 20 Teams Each with Two Divisions. However, down the Road they can and will form a For Profit League based on Geography, Costs Savings, Favorable Mutual Attendance whereby Larger Universities Fans Sell Out Smaller Universities, and form its own NCAA Organization that will pay, subsidize, and reduced Rosters very similar to how the NFL Reorganized with AFC-NFC Mergers.

This would be the next step but it may not go like Osborne predicts. SEC is still the Best, Smartest, and won't stand by watching Big Ten grow without countering, PAC-12 is still in need of Central Time Zone Start Time Teams and Media Partners, and Notre Dame will not sit by either and will be active suitors to increase the ACC if it has to join a Conference to keep it's Income go Higher.

This may be the Spark that ignites responses and moves this Proposal that is a natural out growth of making more Revenues as well as Reducing Costs. As well as, confront the replacement of NCAA Hypocrisy and adjustment of Title IX impacts on the Student Athlete, Rosters, and do it to modernize University Non-Profits by recognizing the need to make Football programs more profitable for the Institutions.

Athletic Directors will tell you the best way to set up Scheduling is 9 Team Two Division in an 18 Team Conference whereby all 9 Teams play each other with 2 Inter-Conference Teams, 2 OOC!

Texas will decide its future and SEC, PAC-12 and ACC will be just as active, along with Disney,Verizon, Comcasts, National Amusements, Silicon Valley, impacting on ESPN, ABC, FOX, CBS, ABC, and NBC.

Once again, everyone said no Expansion until 2024, but 2018 was always the year when rumors turn into action and movement made the most sense, and that will include changes in CFB Invitational Championship Committee number of Invites too, and possible removal of NCAA Basketball Relationship with CBS as well to bring more Value to all Conference Networks.

However, here is the Quote That Counts:
“I think so far it’s worked well, and of course financially, it’s probably an improvement for Nebraska. I just wish we could win a few more championships. That would be helpful.”

Osborne has come to know, just joining a Conference to make more money is not the Goal of any Once Top 10 Winning Program, Osborne wants the ability to insure more National Championships and he did that his way buy adopting 200 Players Rosters, with 85 NCAA Scholarships but with Nebraskan County Scholarship Walk-Ons Programs and left Big-12 because the Big Ten allowed Unlimited NCAA Non-Qualifiers! (Posted It Many Times)!

Texas would not agree to it and NU left for Big-10 followed by UMD & RU, CU-Pac-12 added Utah, SEC added A&M that helped caused Big-12 demise due to Texas too, and Missouri waited and waited on Big-10 Invite but never came so SEC Invite accepted.

OU may be the Catalyst but Texas is the Decider and Texas is the Richest College Football Program everybody wants badly. The Big Ten Delany sneaky as ever wants to bolster Basketball as well and Kansas won't be a threat to the Big Two in Football just like NU & PSU proved and UMD & RU are not a threat either, just markets.

However, unlike Penn State and Nebraska whose Winning has gone down since joining the Big Ten and those are proven Facts...........OU and Texas care more about Football Winning Conference & National Championships too, not just making money, same with Notre Dame. SEC makes that tougher, Big Ten Two too, but PAC-12 only has USC, and ACC FSU & Clemson and ND is pledge to the ACC, and Texas will look at West Coast and Atlantic Coast on that aspect. Why go north when winning will be easier West and East? OU will think hard on that too, but NU Renewal and losing UT is not exactly a fair Trade so may go together?

This is Osborne's Last Swan Song and he knows Nebraska is having real trouble Winning Conference Divisions let alone National Championships, this really upsets him and Big Red Boosters and Fans too. OU's President (Former Senator) Boren like (Former Congressman) Osborne another Former Washington Insiders wants a bigger Big-12 and would preferred OU help rule over it with just Texas, but Osborne wants NU to win more and bring more Texas recruits back to NU like it was when in Big Eight and Big-12.

Last edited:
lol, yeah, you are right. Kansas is fantastic. like I said, they are Rutgers.. why are you here, seriously? All I hear from psu fans is how we are obsessed with them but none of us are on your board and you guys come over here, to remind us, how much we are obsessed with psu.. do you see the irony in this?

No one over there is talking about Kansas, Kansas!, putting 300 million dollars into their football stadium and Big 12 teams going to the Big 10.

I always said many Sports Lawyers and Business Media Consultants told me, the Power Conferences should go to Four 18 to 20 Teams Each with Two Divisions.

Right, and finally you'd have a system with a legitimate playoff, the 8 division winners could be the playoff teams, then each of the Power 4 conferences would have a representative in the Final 4. And theoretically, every team would have a legitimate path to the playoffs - Just win your division. Now of course someone would complain that the 2nd place team in Division C is really the "subjective best team" and whine about that. But F them! They would have had their chance to win on the field.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Right, and finally you'd have a system with a legitimate playoff, the 8 division winners could be the playoff teams, then each of the Power 4 conferences would have a representative in the Final 4. And theoretically, every team would have a legitimate path to the playoffs - Just win your division. Now of course someone would complain that the 2nd place team in Division C is really the "subjective best team" and whine about that. But F them! They would have had their chance to win on the field.
The other Alternative they spoke about was Six Power Conferences or Eight but that is always rejected by the Top 15 to 20 Programs Most Powerful Programs that care about keeping Advantages Winning National Championship.

Back in 1980s at Sports Lawyers Convention, we learned only Six NFL Teams Owners were dedicated to Winning Super Bowls they were Cowboys, 49ers, Steelers, Raiders, Giants, and Broncos. The other Owners were perfectly content to just get Share of Money without the added expenses that comes going to Playoffs and Super Bowls.

Overtime, as 1990s approach and TV Money went through the Roof, some old Owners sold out and the New Owners came on Board, changes started to happen and the did not want all the sharing, parity, and some wanted to adopt the Baseball Model whereby a Few Club Owners can buy Players they want but that drove up costs and still the Old Guard prevailed. Parity actually helped the League Grow even more, but now there are Owners Jones, Kraft, Snyder, taht would have no trouble dumping those rules and systems into a spend what we make and dominate much like Top CFB Programs.

Yet, they never counted on Societal Changes in Values on Players cConcussions & Injuries, Steroid and Drugs, and now the decline of Pop Warner Youth Football, and even Texas High School Football Numbers are on the Decline for the first time as I heard on the Radio when in Dallas for the USC-BAMA game. This is a serious issue too for CFB. Yet, the most serious issues has been the decline in Viewership now, and brought about turning to poor Network Management Mistakes, decline in Attendance even with season Tickets sold out, Panic at ESPN and NFL are now serious issues.

CFB is also turning to International Locations to Recruit Players like Australia, Nigeria, just like Hockey went to Russia and Sweden, CBB & NBA to Serbia, Italy, Africa, and Asia, and MLB going to Caribbean way back in 1960s and below the Rio Grande as well as Asia for Players. As American Mothers and Fathers carefully evaluate what Sports their Sons will play in young and avoid injury prone one later.
For Example:
How culture, passion and genetics are fueling a Nigerian takeover of U.S. sports
Nigerians are making waves in the U.S. due to their intensity, intelligence and athleticism
LINK:
http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...re-fueling-a-nigerian-takeover-of-u-s-sports/

I was avid Sports Nuts when Young and not just the Sports but the Business Side, I quit NBA watching in 1980s (One Exception CAV's James NBA Championship Last Game 2016), Baseball 1990s after Pirates last big run, NFL in 2000s except for some Playoff games, but enjoyed the last two Penguin Stanly Cup Wins, but never watch any season games, Quit all Olympics, and no longer watching CFB or CBB after such horrible Broadcasting I saw last year, and soon leaving it all behind. I watch Highlights now only after the games are over more and more!

The old people are dying that bought cable, and and the young people can't afford the sports and just go to highlight streaming, I prefer listening to NPR now, above any Sports Radio and quit cable in 1990s.

Still love reading about and share in posting some CFB Sports and Teams, but soon will leave all of it behind too. I would like to see how Narduzzi, Holgrosen, Franklin, Kelly, Helton, Saban, Swinney, Rhule, Herman, Harbaugh, and Meyers do in 2017, and can't stand watching ESPN anymore.

But I defer to the more informative Posters on the Lair now that follow CFB like I used to do years ago. Sages like anyone are subject to change too.

Last edited:
Swerv......

Sure....Kansas football is Rutgers......yet the Big Ten took Rutgers.

And while expansion is all about football....i get that to be sure.......

Kansas basketball is not just a throw in......the way Pitt basketball was to the ACC (back when Pitt basketball was not a steaming pile of warm crap).......

No.....Kansas hoops with the KC market makes an intriguing candidate for a conference that is structured like the Big Ten.

I would also suggest that Kansas City is home to numerous Nebraska, Iowa and even Ohio State alums (hell, those maggots are everywhere).

If I am Delaney....and if Texas and ND are pipe dreams.....im looking at KU

Reactions: bubba31
My knee jerk answer would be that Kansas and Iowa State are the only two schools that would pass muster for the B1G as AAU schools but neither bring the TV's that the B1G Network craves. Now Nebraska was kicked out of the AAU after gaining entry to the B1G so maybe that's not as big a deal anymore. Also can't see Iowa just letting Iowa State waltz in without a protest.

I cannot imagine any scenario that makes Texas interested in moving to the B1G. They are already doing well enough with TV money and probably stand to gain little from doing anything. They would actually be better off financially becoming an independent. Maybe do an ND type tie-in?

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State don't bring enough local TV's to make anybody get terribly excited so their value is more situational. Not sure who would want them but I can't see Osborne doing them any favors.

WVU's situation is fascinating. They are good enough at all of the "major" sports to warrant a Louisville type look but add nothing in a state that has few TV's and fewer internet connections.

I'd also stop and look around at the other conferences. Maybe Missouri wouldn't mind jumping to the B1G and they would have ties to Nebraska from the Big 12 days.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Yeah, perfect fit for the current B10.

My knee jerk answer would be that Kansas and Iowa State are the only two schools that would pass muster for the B1G as AAU schools but neither bring the TV's that the B1G Network craves. Now Nebraska was kicked out of the AAU after gaining entry to the B1G so maybe that's not as big a deal anymore. Also can't see Iowa just letting Iowa State waltz in without a protest.

I cannot imagine any scenario that makes Texas interested in moving to the B1G. They are already doing well enough with TV money and probably stand to gain little from doing anything. They would actually be better off financially becoming an independent. Maybe do an ND type tie-in?

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State don't bring enough local TV's to make anybody get terribly excited so their value is more situational. Not sure who would want them but I can't see Osborne doing them any favors.

WVU's situation is fascinating. They are good enough at all of the "major" sports to warrant a Louisville type look but add nothing in a state that has few TV's and fewer internet connections.

I'd also stop and look around at the other conferences. Maybe Missouri wouldn't mind jumping to the B1G and they would have ties to Nebraska from the Big 12 days.

AAU membership was never a requirement of Big Ten membership. UNL was in the process of getting booted from the AAU for years before they were invited to the B10, and most of the Big 10 schools, like Michigan, were the ones pushing for their ouster. The Big 10 pursued ND for years, and ND isn't anything close to being an AAU school. AAU membership requirement is only a thing some internet blogger came up with. It's an athletic conference. Yeah, the Big Ten wants schools that share similar qualities because it makes it easier to row the boat in the same direction, but mostly, they want a school that makes them more money. And guess what school is a mirror image of UNL? OU, and it isn't much of a secret OU wants out of the B12. Iowa St has no chance.

Absolutely, all the Big 12 schools are going to be talking to whomever they can because they are going to go through another membership crisis as their GOR expiration gets closer. Everything will depend on what UT wants.

Last edited:

i would argue that Kansas does bring in the TV's.

Go spend a week in Kansas City....a city larger than Pittsburgh....and see who gets the most collegiate sports coverage.

Swerv, you are talking about the same conference who selected Rutgers and Maryland

Wilt Chamberlin. Hoops
Billy Mills. Track

Just sayin

Google Billy Mills if you want to read a good story

yeah but one is in DC market, one is in NJ market.. geographical footprints.. Kansas is Kansas.. I mean Kansas, it's freakin Kansas..

However, Kansas would be valuable for the Kansas City market. It's similar to Rutgers and New York City. Technically, NYC is not in Rutgers'/Big Ten's footprint. However, they still get the in-market rate for BTN in NYC. You would probably be looking at a similar situation with Kansas. You would be getting the Kansas City market, plus the state of Kansas itself.

Go spend a week in Kansas City....a city larger than Pittsburgh....and see who gets the most collegiate sports coverage.

Sorry, this just my pet peeve, which doesn't impact your valid overall point of the post, but I hate when people use city borders, rather than the much more relevant metropolitan area population to compare market size.

Pittsburgh Metro = 2,355,968
KC Metro = 2,037,357

Ok.. off of my soapbox now... please carry on. Thank you.

If the Big 12 does eventually implode I doubt Oklahoma St fans will lose any sleep about where they will land, probably either the SEC or PAC.

Kansas fans however will be sweating it out to see if they get a spot or not.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Sorry, this just my pet peeve, which doesn't impact your valid overall point of the post, but I hate when people use city borders, rather than the much more relevant metropolitan area population to compare market size.

Pittsburgh Metro = 2,355,968
KC Metro = 2,037,357

Ok.. off of my soapbox now... please carry on. Thank you.

Very misleading to go just by a city's population. For instance KC is 319.03 sq miles total; Pittsburgh 58.3 sq miles total. The actual City of Pittsburgh municipality is tiny as far as its actual physical size. Urban density is an interesting comparison: KC 1,400/sq mi; Pittsburgh 5,540/sq mi.

That said, there are still a lot of TVs in Kansas and Missouri.

The Big 12 is done after the GOR expires.

Texas and OU will have to decide between ACC, SEC, P12, and B10.

The ACC's "in" may be that the B10 and SEC dont take TT and OKST.

The ACC has to be proactive and ensure that it doesn't get raided again while the Big 12 is.

Texas A&M has no interest in the Longhorns in the SEC. Pac 12 wanted them but the politics would never go for OK St and TCU being left behind. What may happen is Texas goes to the ACC with TCU and Oklahoma to the Pac 12. ND part time still gives the ACC 16 full members. But SEC isn;t stupid and may make some concessions to A&M to invite Texas.

The Big 12 is done after the GOR expires.

Texas and OU will have to decide between ACC, SEC, P12, and B10.

The ACC's "in" may be that the B10 and SEC dont take TT and OKST.

The ACC has to be proactive and ensure that it doesn't get raided again while the Big 12 is.

The ACC's GOR doesn't run out until 2036. If the Big 12 can't get raided until after the GOR, then neither can the ACC.

However, alot of this is again more internet hype stuff. There is no indication that the conference are interested in expanding again, and there also isn't any indication that there will be financial incentive to do so.

Pac 12 wanted them but the politics would never go for OK St and TCU being left behind.

The "politics" in Texas don't care about TCU even a wee little bit. If Texas had gone to the PAC10 it was Texas Tech that they were going to have to take with them. TCU wasn't a consideration for that spot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT