ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Chiefs

Jun 3, 2023
Are there a bigger bunch of whiners or drama queens in the NFL? I thought it was abundantly clear Kadarius Toney was WAY offsides, and nearly everyone except the Chiefs could see it. For Maholmes to throw a temper tantrum like a 6 year old is a bad look. Also, Andy Reid complaining the officials didn’t warn him before throwing the flag…you gotta be kidding.

There isn’t much I hate more in sports than the blaming the refs for a loss, although having those airheads Taylor Swift and Brittany Maholmes force fed to us is a close 2nd.

This. The dude was clearly offsides. It’s bizzare that they are angry at the ref for a boneheaded error by their Wr.
All the WR had to do was check with the ref. He would have told him he was offsides. It’s not up to the ref to tell the player. I complain as much as anyone about bad calls, but it was the correct call. He threw the flag right as the ball was snapped. He didn’t know it would turn into a TD.

Mahomes is pissed because they called a penalty right before a big play happened. Sorry, Pat, you’ve been the beneficiary of many calls in your favor over the years. This was a correct call.

Are there a bigger bunch of whiners or drama queens in the NFL? I thought it was abundantly clear Kadarius Toney was WAY offsides, and nearly everyone except the Chiefs could see it. For Maholmes to throw a temper tantrum like a 6 year old is a bad look. Also, Andy Reid complaining the officials didn’t warn him before throwing the flag…you gotta be kidding.

There isn’t much I hate more in sports than the blaming the refs for a loss, although having those airheads Taylor Swift and Brittany Maholmes force fed to us is a close 2nd.

I'm with you. The Chiefs have gotten a ton of calls over the years and Mahomes comes off as super whiny. I found this thread today showing bad calls in KC's favor and whoooo boy there were a lot of memorable ones in here. Meaningful games and impact calls in the game, too.

Mahomes is just mad because his WR suck. He's lashing out at everyone except who he should - i.e., Kadaver the Toney.

I have never disliked the Chiefs, except I could never ever stand Travis Kelce.

But it’s funny that you say this because it wasn’t until this season that I noticed Mahomes always crying and asking for calls. I’m not sure if he’s always been like this and I never really noticed? Or if he became this way because stars get used to get getting the calls. But it’s wearing thin on me. Just like the stupid State Farm commercials with nuggies.

Only way Chiefs could be mad is if the receiver checked with the ref to see if he was lined up okay and then still got flagged. Seems unlikely since he was clearly offsides.
the still shot is kind of funny...he is looking to his right towards the line of scrimmage and can see the other WR with his front foot on the 50 while his front foot was on the Bills 49, not to mention, uh, the ball itself.

I have never disliked the Chiefs, except I could never ever stand Travis Kelce.

But it’s funny that you say this because it wasn’t until this season that I noticed Mahomes always crying and asking for calls. I’m not sure if he’s always been like this and I never really noticed? Or if he became this way because stars get used to get getting the calls. But it’s wearing thin on me. Just like the stupid State Farm commercials with nuggies.
Kelce is unbearable

Their anger should be directed at their WR. Is there not an easier thing to do than lineup on sides?
I don’t know what typical protocol in the NFL is but what both Reid and Mahomes were mad at was this supposed practice of the refs giving a warning when an offensive player is lined up offsides instead of throwing the flag.

In any case, lining up onside must not be as easy a thing to do as you suggest. Have seen quite a few offsides calls on offensive players the last few weeks. Starting with the Steelers player a few weeks ago where his helmet was in the neutral zone during a FG attempt if I’m remembering correctly.

Had the same thing called yesterday on an Eagles OL during one of their QB tucks or whatever they call that play.

the still shot is kind of funny...he is looking to his right towards the line of scrimmage and can see the other WR with his front foot on the 50 while his front foot was on the Bills 49, not to mention, uh, the ball itself.
Some guys lose any presence of mind in big situations. Nerves? Don't know.

Other thing, isn't being lined up offside at the snap similar to a false start? I was surprised that didn't get blown dead at the line.

I don’t know what typical protocol in the NFL is but what both Reid and Mahomes were mad at was this supposed practice of the refs giving a warning when an offensive player is lined up offsides instead of throwing the flag.
I obviously never played in the NFL, but the protocol/practice we were taught going back to as young as I can remember up through college is that you ask the ref if you are lined up okay, and he will let you know if you are good or not. But if you don't ask him and just line up where you feel like, and you happen to be offsides, the ref isn't going to warn you. He is going to flag you.

In the NFL, refs don't warn a tackle that lines up too far off the line and thus is in the backfield, do they? Steelers got flagged for that last week.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
I obviously never played in the NFL, but the protocol/practice we were taught going back to as young as I can remember up through college is that you ask the ref if you are lined up okay, and he will let you know if you are good or not. But if you don't ask him and just line up where you feel like, and you happen to be offsides, the ref isn't going to warn you. He is going to flag you.

In the NFL, refs don't warn a tackle that lines up too far off the line and thus is in the backfield, do they? Steelers got flagged for that last week.
I’m guessing it is like you describe. But for whatever the reason, what I described seems to be the argument Reid and Mahomes are in a tizzy about.

Edit: also add that the uncovered tackle call on the Steelers wasn’t just last game, I think they were called for that 2 games in a row now.

Last edited:
I must be missing something because where he was lined up, if he would've turned around, he would've been onside for the defense. He was so far over I don't understand how he wouldn't know or would even need to ask someone. And if he did point at the ref, there's no way he wasn't told to back up.

I always thought the "ask the ref if I'm lined up ok" was for WR's way out on the ends and that you had to ask. Toney was way over at the hashmarks, it's totally on him for lining up wrong.

The Chiefs did get screwed on the non call on the interference vs Green Bay. But Toney was clearly offside last night.

But what I can’t stand is this “let us play” crap. Now granted, there are times some ticky tack crap can probably be overlooked. But there are rules. And ignoring an obvious call is impacting the outcome of a game as much as a correct call being made.

I don’t know that I can state where the line is between letting them play and enforcing the rules. But the offside last night isn’t even close to questionable and the non call against the Pack was egregiously bad.

Reactions: Franb
The Chiefs did get screwed on the non call on the interference vs Green Bay. But Toney was clearly offside last night.

But what I can’t stand is this “let us play” crap. Now granted, there are times some ticky tack crap can probably be overlooked. But there are rules. And ignoring an obvious call is impacting the outcome of a game as much as a correct call being made.

I don’t know that I can state where the line is between letting them play and enforcing the rules. But the offside last night isn’t even close to questionable and the non call against the Pack was egregiously bad.
Well, go look at the NBA and how "let them play" has evolved.

not sure how one can defy the laws of Geometry in a "let them play" universe....the dude was the bisector of the line of scrimmage....
Sort of goes to my point. NBA went from, "What's one extra step?", to, "No point calling a guy taking five steps. Let them play is just a BS way of whining about an outcome they didn't like. Wasn't like it was two guys jousting for a 50/50 ball.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
And of course we get the obligatory comments from Mahomes wife. Good lord is she annoying. Even Brady never subjected us to members of his family whining

I think Andy Reid and Maholmes have a duty to walk back their comments from yesterday and apologize. The entire world knows they’re wrong and you can not double down on dumb in this instance.

I think Andy Reid and Maholmes have a duty to walk back their comments from yesterday and apologize. The entire world knows they’re wrong and you can not double down on dumb in this instance.
How about tripling down? I didn’t see it and don’t know the complete context but I’d bet on what the intent is here. And he’d blow a gasket if he’d have been on the opposite end of it.

Reactions: pittdan77
My immediate thought, somebody’s got to be joking around and posting an image of another play. Because on the play he got called for offsides, it wasn’t close, he was over the line by a good bit.
Man I fell for it too. Yeah, somebody was joking around but not how I was thinking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT