ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "The highest grossing concert tour in history"

It really is unbelievable how much these musicians make on these tours. My wife is about to fork out a small fortune to take our daughter to a Taylor Swift concert this year.

It’s a shame I have zero musical talent… between the money and the women it would’ve been a nice gig.
Ironically, Elton John is not interested in the women.

When I was an undergrad, Elton John had just released his iconic "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" album.

The annual "Greek Sing" competition was being held at the Carnegie Music Hall in Oakland.
images

The last contestant was a pianist. He began to play "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road".

Then, the audience organically began to sing the lyrics in unison. It was a totally unexpected and an incredible experience...the musician totally connecting with his audience and vice versa. It was mesmerizing to witness.

The pianist received a standing ovation and there was no doubt he was going to win the competition.

The audience pleaded for an encore. The pianist obliged, sat down and began to play more of this Elton John classic, the audience gleefully singing along. Afterwards, he received another standing ovation.

The judges announced the competition winner and a shocked audience began to boo and scream their displeasure.

The pianist, who stole the show, was disqualified for going over his time allotment!

was an elton john / billy joel concert years ago that i had a chance to go to but didnt, always regret that..

Reactions: noelr
it's been going on for a few years now, so make sense. Caught two of his stops on this tour, one at PPG Paints and the last one at PNC Park. Great concerts.

Probably about as difficult as ever to make money as a new band. But yeah - the established acts have figured out that people will pay a lot to see them.

When Elton finally hangs it up, he will probably be like everyone else is doing and sell his entire collection of work rights for probably 500,000,000 plus.

Do these people go on legitimate farewell tours? Seems more like a ploy to sell more tickets, because people think they are never going to get the chance to see them again.

If Michael Jackson's This Is It tour would've taken place no other tours could've come close to the revenue of it. Even in 2009 it was estimated that MJ would've profited 1.5 billion from the European tour.

Last edited:
Reactions: CCHS82
They don’t make any money from Spotify and no one really buys music anymore, so touring is where most of them make their money nowadays

I dropped a couple hundred for my kid to go see some country guy I never heard of at PNC this coming summer. I'm trying to convince myself that it's just a phase.
I did the same for my son as well. Morgan Wallen is the guy who is really popular right now. The ticket prices are absurd.

Reactions: pittdan77
Do these people go on legitimate farewell tours? Seems more like a ploy to sell more tickets, because people think they are never going to get the chance to see them again.

No band ever really ends. There are bands out there touring today that don't have any original members in them, but people still pay money to see them.

It really is unbelievable how much these musicians make on these tours. My wife is about to fork out a small fortune to take our daughter to a Taylor Swift concert this year.

It’s a shame I have zero musical talent… between the money and the women it would’ve been a nice gig.

The irony is that Taylor Swift tickets were severly underpriced, which is why the TM website crashed. The worst uppers at Acrisure are going for 500. The worst lowers for 800. Its insane.

The irony is that Taylor Swift tickets were severly underpriced, which is why the TM website crashed. The worst uppers at Acrisure are going for 500. The worst lowers for 800. Its insane.
And average non-wealthy people are still going to these things? I think I paid $11 to see The Who in 1979 :)

And average non-wealthy people are still going to these things? I think I paid $11 to see The Who in 1979 :)
I was in high school in the early 70s, I used to go to concerts almost weekly, sometimes twice per week. I saw practically everyone who was touring at the time. I had been working 40 hours per week since I was 13, so I had some spending money. But I don't think most tickets were any more than $4 or $5.

Reactions: Pitt79
Kiss is the ultimate farewell tour

There are a couple bands that did a farewell tour a couple decades ago that are still playing. Heck, Ozzy Osbourne just announced today that for health reason he can't tour any more (he did not, however, say that he wouldn't or couldn't do a residency somewhere).

His original No More Tours farewell tour happened in 1992.

Concert tickets are insane… 80/100 ya sure. But this 300/500 no chance. I think I am turning into a cheap old man….

Concert tickets are insane… 80/100 ya sure. But this 300/500 no chance. I think I am turning into a cheap old man….

Well the difference is that concerts used to be mostly a promotional tool to sell albums, which is where artists made almost all of their money. Today, pretty much no one makes any money selling albums or singles, or anything else like that. The way they make money is on concert tickets. That's why some bands are basically out on tour perpetually, and that's why they charge so much for tickets. If they don't, they can't afford to make a living.

Reactions: cdheller76
Well the difference is that concerts used to be mostly a promotional tool to sell albums, which is where artists made almost all of their money. Today, pretty much no one makes any money selling albums or singles, or anything else like that. The way they make money is on concert tickets. That's why some bands are basically out on tour perpetually, and that's why they charge so much for tickets. If they don't, they can't afford to make a living.
Ya I know. Nobody buys music anymore. Having said that I’m fairly sure they could “make a living “ if tickets were 75/80 a ticket. Having said that, hell they can charge 2000.00 per ticket if they want. It is a free market and the price point will work itself out. My point, Personally Im not paying it.

Ya I know. Nobody buys music anymore. Having said that I’m fairly sure they could “make a living “ if tickets were 75/80 a ticket. Having said that, hell they can charge 2000.00 per ticket if they want. It is a free market and the price point will work itself out. My point, Personally Im not paying it.
Yet you paid $75 for your Slim Whitman t-shirt... 🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT