ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The horrific Johnstown Flood of 1889

For those in this area David McCulloughs book on the flood is a good historical read. Just goes to show how many people will ignore a problem because it benefits them financially or for their pleasure. They ignored a warning from a top engineer because they didn't want to give up their pleasure palace.

Ironically, LGP81 and I were just discussing the 1977 Johnstown Flood on the national board tonight.

IIRC, the flood happened just a few years after my ancestors first immigrated to Johnstown from Germany. Whenever I think of this flood, I immediately think of this incredible picture:
johnstown-flood-1889-3.jpg

Reactions: LGP81
It has been said that Carnegie always felt guilt over his role in the flood which lead to much of his philanthropy
I’ve always found it interesting how different the opinions of Carnegie are around Western Pennsylvania between those who are from Johnstown and not.

Aside from that, one of the few good things to come out of that flood, IIRC, is that the American Red Cross became a relief/aid staple in the US after they came to Johnstown to help the victims. The flood was one of their first relief missions.

Carnegie stayed in Scotland while Frick was the prick. Nasty to steel workers in Pittsburgh back then

Yeah, the "Men Who Built America" Frick was perfectly portrayed. Didn't one of the steelworkers try and assassinate him??
I was just thinking that. Yes, dude walked in to kill him and I think the gun jammed or he missed. Not sure if he was hired or just said screw it and took it upon himself.

that was a great story/documentary.

I was just thinking that. Yes, dude walked in to kill him and I think the gun jammed or he missed. Not sure if he was hired or just said screw it and took it upon himself.

that was a great story/documentary.

The attempted assassin was a former Bolshevik Alexander Berkman who was unaffiliated with the Homestead Steel works; he shot Frick twice in the neck. But many guns back then were small/unreliable and people used lead instead of hollow point (expanding) rounds so the wounds were smaller and more treatable.

Frick survived. The assassination attempt generated sympathy for US Steel. The strike broke and Frick laid off thousands in retaliation.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Look back and MOST of the Super Wealthy got it from the total disregard of their workers and nature.Rape the land collect their fortune hell they didn't live anywhere close to their money pits

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Yeah, crazy why and how this happened. A few rich billionaires wanted to have a place to boat. I always just assumed it was an act of god tragedy when in reality, it was due to the greed and selfishness of a few.
Of course the courts later ruled it was an act of God and the Fricks and Mellons and the rest never had to pay a penny to Johnstown or it's people.

Did you also know that the spillway on the side of the dam that let the water out when it got too high was blocked off? It seems the fish were escaping the lake when the water got high.

Of course the courts later ruled it was an act of God and the Fricks and Mellons and the rest never had to pay a penny to Johnstown or it's people.

Did you also know that the spillway on the side of the dam that let the water out when it got too high was blocked off? It seems the fish were escaping the lake when the water got high.
Sad and disgusting.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
My kid had to learn about this last year in 4th grade and went to the flood museum on a field trip. It left an impression on her.

The worst part of the entire disaster was that all of the rubble and debris was trapped against a bridge with many people trapped as well. Then the mess caught fire. You can only imagine what that must have sounded like.

As you can imagine, the state is super aggressive about ripping out as many private dams as possible., now.

My kid had to learn about this last year in 4th grade and went to the flood museum on a field trip. It left an impression on her.

The worst part of the entire disaster was that all of the rubble and debris was trapped against a bridge with many people trapped as well. Then the mess caught fire. You can only imagine what that must have sounded like.

As you can imagine, the state is super aggressive about ripping out as many private dams as possible., now.
Hard to imagine the carnage at the old stone bridge. Many people were trapped and burned to death in the massage burning pile.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT