ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The mess that is the Penguins

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
It's officially concern time now. After their sluggish start, it was easily attributable to a bit of a hangover combined with a ridiculously obscene schedule.

Well the schedule has significantly softened and the Pens aren't winning. In the ultra competitive Metro, in a league full of 3 point games, you don't want to fall too far back.

I do think it is a combination of fatigue (the Pens have played more games in the last 2 years than any NHL team in history) and those were high stakes games, combined with some really bad puck luck and a roster that is less than ideal.

But the confounding thing is they can't score. They are one of the worst 5 on 5 teams, now their PP has dried up. Their shooting percentage is one of the worst in NHL history right now, every goalie looks like Martin Brodeur in his prime to them.

I think alot of this is luck. I do think a shake up is in order. But who? Letang and Hagelin's trade value is at an all time low right now. Sheary and/or Rust would be good candidates, but how much could they command? Guentzel? Maybe.

Or do you just chalk this season up as one of those years, don't give up your #1 pick (which could be much higher than expected) and just retool, relax and rest up for another charge next year?? I am not saying to give up, I am saying I really don't know what can be done.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I think they'll have a shake up. Nothing crazy, but something.

I just think though that fatigue has hit. They don't look as fast as they did. Things just aren't going their way.

IMO, just fight to make the playoffs. From there, anything can happen, but it's hard to win in this league.

It's officially concern time now. After their sluggish start, it was easily attributable to a bit of a hangover combined with a ridiculously obscene schedule.

Well the schedule has significantly softened and the Pens aren't winning. In the ultra competitive Metro, in a league full of 3 point games, you don't want to fall too far back.

I do think it is a combination of fatigue (the Pens have played more games in the last 2 years than any NHL team in history) and those were high stakes games, combined with some really bad puck luck and a roster that is less than ideal.

But the confounding thing is they can't score. They are one of the worst 5 on 5 teams, now their PP has dried up. Their shooting percentage is one of the worst in NHL history right now, every goalie looks like Martin Brodeur in his prime to them.

I think alot of this is luck. I do think a shake up is in order. But who? Letang and Hagelin's trade value is at an all time low right now. Sheary and/or Rust would be good candidates, but how much could they command? Guentzel? Maybe.

Or do you just chalk this season up as one of those years, don't give up your #1 pick (which could be much higher than expected) and just retool, relax and rest up for another charge next year?? I am not saying to give up, I am saying I really don't know what can be done.

They’ve won 2 straight cups. Take your lumps this year, rest up and re-tool for next year.

Reactions: jaebree422

The most meaningless regular season in all of sports is the NHL, followed closely by the NCAA mens basketball. These games don't really matter, Pens will be fine. When was the last time the team with the best regular season record won the cup?

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
The most meaningless regular season in all of sports is the NHL, followed closely by the NCAA mens basketball. These games don't really matter, Pens will be fine. When was the last time the team with the best regular season record won the cup?

2013. Since the presidents trophy came out in 1986, the winner has won 26% of the Stanley cups, far higher than any other of the 16 seeds in the playoffs. If you go before that, that number skyrockets.

You have to make the playoffs in order to win it. I think the regular season is pretty important to most teams.

Last edited:
Fire the coach! We always win the Cup when we fire the coach in December!

they need an "off year" to regroup.. cant be upset at this, these dudes pretty much played 2 and 1/2 seasons in the two seasons, more if you think about the physicality of playoff hockey with little rest between games.

let's let these guys have an actual off season this year for a change..

Reactions: jaebree422
they need an "off year" to regroup.. cant be upset at this, these dudes pretty much played 2 and 1/2 seasons in the two seasons, more if you think about the physicality of playoff hockey with little rest between games.

For a lot of the star players, throw in the world cup of hockey too.

Reactions: Swervin27

Yeah I am not posting this in anger, I think they earned a gimme this year. But still it is frustrating. Thank god they aren't playing in the Olympics this year.

I think they'll have a shake up. Nothing crazy, but something.

I just think though that fatigue has hit. They don't look as fast as they did. Things just aren't going their way.

IMO, just fight to make the playoffs. From there, anything can happen, but it's hard to win in this league.
Agree with everything you stated. I also think they miss Boninno, Kunitz and Cullen. Their depth is not what it was, neither is their character.

Watching them play, I see a lot of really carless passes and an overall lack of physicality.

These guys have played so much hockey the past two seasons that this fatigue was inevitable, there is a reason only 4 teams have won 3 in a row and no one has done it for almost 40 years. Also only one team has done it while playing at least 80 games a year.

This happens everytime the PENS add new players at the start of the season! They seem to be fine when the add a new guy late in the season to make up for an injury.

The NFG's don't get the PENS Sullivan hustle style, beat the other guys to the puck, get guys in front of the opponents net, beat the other guys to the puck, etc, over and over again!

Lot's of other teams don't play this way, most teams play "lazy" and it throws off the PENS fluid play including lots of "no see um" I know my guys there passes!

Kunitz, Cullen, & Boninno are hard to replace!

Merry Christmas to All!
Signed: Mr & Mrs Buffett
Go Pitt Panthers & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
I will cut the Penguin organ-I-zation much slack. Their trophy case commands respect.

The guys are visibly tired. The number of games played over the past 2-1/2 seasons supports this. The only solution is rest, which is a Catch-22. While a three-peat would be historic, what's more realistic is an early exit this spring. I expect much turnover up and down the roster before the first puck drops on 2018-19. Not to say we ice this season, but if the Penguins come up short we should not accuse them of underachieving after a pair of Cup wins.

4 of their cup wins occurred in seasons where they were out of the play-offs in Dec-Jan. That being said, this team is a real mess. In almost all of those cases a major deal had to be made to right the ship. That seems likely here.

Reactions: bwh05

In the offseason I thought it was time to dump Hagelin and put that money into a legitimate 3C like Hanzal, but he has been pretty bad in Dallas. Of course Dallas is certainly not putting him in positions to succeed right now, so that (plus him being hurt) might be playing a big part of it. I still would be interested in that as a possible trade with Dallas. Would they like to get out of that Hanzal contract? The cap hit to the Pens would only be $750k more per year, but obviously for 2 additional seasons. I'd take that slight risk, if I were the Pens. Obviously the D-corps is also woefully thin and Letang is not looking good, while the backup goaltending has been an absolute adventure.

I will drive Ryan Reaves to the airport myself and pay for his plane ticket out of town. You need to be able to roll 4 lines to save some energy and that is not a possibility with this lineup.
There was no sense in acquiring Reaves if Sullivan does not know how and has no desire to use him.

Rutherford recognized a need that Sullivan refuses to see.

I think the loss of Cullen really hurt this team. A leader and a character guy. That said, there is no excuse for the offense. Time to change some things and soon.

Thoughts on the trades today? I get Oleksiak to add some bulk to their back line. Archibald and McGuire for Michael Leighton is odd but seems to set the stage for another move.

If I had to put money on it, this team isn’t going to make the playoffs. And if somehow they get lucky enough to get in, they get bounced in 5 games.

The defense is terrible and I look for them to move Letang and Cole.

Their bottom 6 is putrid and I still think Sullivan hates Kessell for not being a 200 foot player and sacrificing his body. Kessell putting up #’s is what keeps that chatter down. If he goes on a slump, which he will eventually, expect to hear the rumblings.

JR has fallen back into his year 1 mode of thinking you need grit and toughness to win in the playoffs. Reeves is a clown and barely plays 5 min a night. They add a 6/7 defenseman and he reminds people of Hal Gill. How long till he tries to rebuild the bottom 6 with Daniel Winnik and Max Lapierre?

I full expect Horni to be moved also. His salary demands are just way too much and we can’t let him walk for nothing.

I know it was said tongue in cheek above, but when they miss the playoffs this year and start off slow next year, how patient will Mario and Ron be when Sid and Geno say they are no longer having fun anymore. This team this year is clearly NOT having fun and is just going through the motions. Ask yourself this, if Sullivan was not coming off of 2 cups, would he still be coaching the team today? He earns the benefit of the doubt this year, but that’s probably it.

Me too. I still think the prudent move was to move Murray for a haul and keep Fleury with Jarry a few years away. It wasn't a popular opinion but I think it made some sense.

That would have been a real ballsy move. I am not saying that didn't cross my mind. The Pens got a bit of bad luck to have an expansion draft kick up and force the movement of Fleury for essentially cap space.

That would have been a real ballsy move. I am not saying that didn't cross my mind. The Pens got a bit of bad luck to have an expansion draft kick up and force the movement of Fleury for essentially cap space.

It’s gonna happen again with Seattle in 2021. Jarry is too good to sit behind Murray and by the time the expansion draft comes, Jarry will be $5 million cheaper. What do they do?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT