ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The mess that is the Penguins

3 players on the active roster make around 2 million and 11 make about half that or less.
Which 2 of those would you give up to keep Fleury?
LMAO!
In your scenario where Fleury makes $5.75M and Murray makes $750k? Every non-rookie deal I had to. I'd spend $6.5M to have Fleury and Murray as my goalies for as long as possible. It would be the best and one of the cheapest tandems in the NHL. The problem is: that wasn't the scenario. It was 33 year old Fleury for $5.75M or 23 year old Murray for $3.75 and potential total goalie costs of $9.5M. That is something that would have been prohibitive. Would it have been impossible? No, the Rangers pay their goalies more in total, but there would have been playing time and role issues.

Great point. Actually Murray is now beginning his second contract which is like $3.3 million per year but still cheaper than MAF. MM's stats these past 2 playoffs have been as good as any other goalie during the past 2 years. Many years, the Pens goalie in the post season has been towards the lower end.

But the big point, and I have thought about this the past weekend, is Pens fans really need to enjoy this. I remember during the early 90's and thought the same thing. This ("this" meaning this success and great players) is not a forever thing, so if you haven't appreciated what the Pens have done the last few seasons (and most of the last decade) it is probably time to do so, because "this" is not lasting forever.
We are so fortunate to have you in our lives to tell us how we should feel!!!!!

You can't "crack" and shoot up the stats list by playing a game or two. Let's stop with this every day "top 30" crap until the end of the season. And secondly, and more importantly have the Pens been succesful with Murray the last 5 stars? 4-0-1. I keep on reading 2-3 people on here in regards to TOP 30 Stats. You know who is statistically behind Murray right now? Carey Price. Right ahead of Murray? Brayden Holtby. You want to talk recently bias, and it is these folks who keep on throwing these numbers in the face of Murray. Carter Hutton has the best numbers in the NHL right now. Do you think St. Louis would trade Hutton to the Pens for Murray? In a heartbeat.

There is one truth, "Murray needs to play better" and of course that is true. But I am guessing that he will.

- I totally agree with your last paragraph and it is what I've been saying all along and basically is the main point of it all.

- While it is true that Price's stats are much like Murray's, I would disagree with Holtby as his stats are much better then Murray's ...... if you take goalies who have played more then 900 minutes to date, there are 36 goalies and in most categories, Holtby is 12 to 20 spots better than Murray.

- More thoughts about Murray later.

Last edited:
- I totally agree with your last paragraph and it is what I've been saying all along and basically is the main point of it all.

- While it is true that Price's stats are much like Murray's, I would disagree with Holtby as his stats are much better then Murray's ...... if you take goalies who have played more then 900 minutes to date, there are 36 goalies and in most categories, Holtby is 12 to 20 spots better than Murray.

- More thoughts about Murray later.
Another thing that ties into the "value discussion" and the criticism of Murray: He is #27 in salary, so he hasn't played real well, but his $3.75M is still pretty damn cheap.

Just remember the days when our best players were Syl Apps, or a washed up Pete Mahovlich, or a trio of leftovers scuttled from the Broad Street Bullies!
Jean Pronovost and Pierre LaRouche were good players, but comparing them to Lemieux, Coffey and Francis the first time around, or Crosby, Geno and LeTang/Kessel this time around sums it up pretty well.

What we are witnessing is very very special and there is an expiration date on it. Other teams are getting better, but none have the depth of star power assembled on this squad. A three peat is a real possibility!

The craziest thing about this statement is that it has a lot of potential truth. If this team stays healthy enough and feels like playing another 100+ games there is a very good possibility that they keep the cup. It is insane typing that but right now this team has enough to do it.

The craziest thing about this statement is that it has a lot of potential truth. If this team stays healthy enough and feels like playing another 100+ games there is a very good possibility that they keep the cup. It is insane typing that but right now this team has enough to do it.

I do agree with the Kris Letang criticisms and think he could be the difference between a 3peat and going out earlier. He still has yet to regain anything resembling his form. I am not sure what has happened and if he can get it back.

Just some opinions about Murray .....

- Since he came back after his father passed, he is starting to play better.

- Against St. Louis he was excellent.

- Against Dallas he played well/very well ..... I thought he played well enough for us to win ...... he made some great saves throughout the game but especially late to help get us to OT (and help get us a point), then stopped two breakaways and had some other saves in OT to help get us to the SO .... he gave up one goal in the SO but you can't win a SO if you don't score and none of our marquee players scored in the SO.

- Could he have played any of the goals that he gave up against Dallas better ...... probably yes ...... let's look ...... Goal#1- hard pass across and one timer just outside the far edge of the crease ..... I don't think any goalie makes that save so a good goal, not on Murray ...... Goal#2- puck passed quickly from behind the net with Murray on the near post, one time shot from inner part of the top of the near circle, Murray was a little slow off the post but did get over and out on a good angle although slightly deep in the crease. The mistake he made was that he had his left arm up away from his body (his elbow was shoulder level and straight out from his body with his glove above that) ..... this left the 7 hole wide open which is exactly where the puck went ..... if he had his left elbow close/tighter to his body and his glove both in proper position, he likely makes the save ..... this was a poor technique goal ..... I think the reason he had his arm and glove in poor position was that two skaters, a Pen and a Star, were encroaching near the crease to his left and he was trying to make sure to fend them off with his arm which was a mistake...... Goal#3- he lost his stick, was partially screened by Rowney and missed the shot with his blocker ..... not sure if he lost sight of the puck or if it brushed off Rowney but I think he would like to have that one back...... Goal#4 in the SO ...... hard wrist shot from the hash marks that barely made it through the 6 hole and trickled into the net .... certainly a high danger shot/tough save..... bottom line, overall, Murray played well to very well and IMO well enough for us to win.

- I really liked how Murray played against the Blues ..... on top of that in the Stars game 2 of the goals were through the 6/7 holes and if you look at the highlight tape of some of the saves he had against the Blues, the 6/7 holes were closed, a good adjustment on his part.

- I'm encouraged by the way Murray has been playing most recently and am pretty confident he will get back to his old form which we will need to make another Cup run..... time will tell.

I do agree with the Kris Letang criticisms and think he could be the difference between a 3peat and going out earlier. He still has yet to regain anything resembling his form. I am not sure what has happened and if he can get it back.

Agree, there is something going on with Letang ..... I think he is playing better then early in the season but not at the level we are used to from him ...... he is still making some poor decisions where you shake your head and ask what could he be thinking .... he has had concussions, neck surgery, a stroke and it makes you wonder.

Agree, there is something going on with Letang ..... I think he is playing better then early in the season but not at the level we are used to from him ...... he is still making some poor decisions where you shake your head and ask what could he be thinking .... he has had concussions, neck surgery, a stroke and it makes you wonder.

This is on a much, much smaller scale, but that flu that the media has scared everyone into thinking it is the Black Plague reincarnated, well I got it. It is bad. Really bad. Now a week and half later, I am recovered, but today couldn't even shovel yet, and this weekend, my first trip outside of my house into a store in 10 days, I saw a guy I have known for 30 years who is named Gene and called him "Mike". It was embarrassing 2 minutes later after I realized I did that, and well it was definitely the effects of the flu. My point here, Letang wasn't initially expected to return until around Christmas, and he started the year. So he still might be recovering from his procedure.

Yeah I think Letang is simply burned out. He plays the most minutes every night and has for some time now. They should find a way to manage this now so he’s ready in April.

This is on a much, much smaller scale, but that flu that the media has scared everyone into thinking it is the Black Plague reincarnated, well I got it. It is bad. Really bad. Now a week and half later, I am recovered, but today couldn't even shovel yet, and this weekend, my first trip outside of my house into a store in 10 days, I saw a guy I have known for 30 years who is named Gene and called him "Mike". It was embarrassing 2 minutes later after I realized I did that, and well it was definitely the effects of the flu. My point here, Letang wasn't initially expected to return until around Christmas, and he started the year. So he still might be recovering from his procedure.
The media isn’t exaggerating the flu.
4K aweek are dying in the us from flu and related infections.

It’s a bad year.

I am not starting a new thread, because this thread accomplished exactly what I wanted it to do, to have my typical negative karma be reversed on me and the Pens would turn it around.

They did and I am not jinxing it by starting a new thread. I welcome if someone else will, but I am not tempting fate.

Murray sucks. Lol

Murray is in sole possession of first place for the most wins in his first 100 games among goalies to debut since 2005-06. He is unbeaten in regulation in his last eight decisions and won his last six at home.

Murray sucks. Lol

Murray is in sole possession of first place for the most wins in his first 100 games among goalies to debut since 2005-06. He is unbeaten in regulation in his last eight decisions and won his last six at home.

7-0-1 2.27 GAA 0.926 Save Percentage his last 8 games. I think he is playing "better".

I have to admit, the Penguins look like "the Penguins" right now and I wouldn't put anyone ahead of them in a 7 game series.

Really interesting weekend, home against Toronto, road against Columbus. Should be fantastic games. Again, appreciate this, this team isn't going to forever be this good.

I am not starting a new thread, because this thread accomplished exactly what I wanted it to do, to have my typical negative karma be reversed on me and the Pens would turn it around.

They did and I am not jinxing it by starting a new thread. I welcome if someone else will, but I am not tempting fate.

This is 100% the correct take.

I expect this thread to easily pass 25 pages as the Pens make another cup run.

Absolutely.
And he needed to.

Not coincidentally with better goalie play we are winning

Yep, but the team as a whole is playing better too. They look really good now, this is about the time in 2016 they really started to turn it on.

My whole point on Murray was that "give him a chance, he will respond". He has.

Murray is definitely playing better. If he takes it to another level in the playoffs as he has in the past, this is a tough team to beat in a series.

Yep, but the team as a whole is playing better too. They look really good now, this is about the time in 2016 they really started to turn it on.

My whole point on Murray was that "give him a chance, he will respond". He has.

Right, we needed the entire team to play better and that is what has been happening ...... as I said several days ago, Murray has been better since he came back after his father passed away which has helped a lot but the rest of the team has been better also .....

Young players that have come up from WBS such as Sprong for awhile, then Simon and now Aston-Reese have done well and allowed us to more balance our top three lines so that all can score and defend.... this has been a big help....

Rust, Sheary, and Rowney coming back from injuries has helped ......

Sullivan finally playing Cole over Hunwick, I believe, has helped .....

The stars playing like stars has helped ......

We aren't in the playoffs yet and the entire team needs to continue to play better and win games ...... The weekend series with Toronto and Columbus is big ......

A question is still whether we make a trade before the deadline ..... doesn't look like we need to make a big trade but I would like to see a little more depth at center and on defense .....

Interesting times ahead !!

I wonder if Murray's father died unexpectedly, or was it the result of a lingering illness? If it was the latter, that may have affected his play early in the season.
Tough to concentrate when life jumps up and bites you in the a$$.

He has certainly picked it up since coming back.

Right, we needed the entire team to play better and that is what has been happening ...... as I said several days ago, Murray has been better since he came back after his father passed away which has helped a lot but the rest of the team has been better also .....

Young players that have come up from WBS such as Sprong for awhile, then Simon and now Aston-Reese have done well and allowed us to more balance our top three lines so that all can score and defend.... this has been a big help....

Rust, Sheary, and Rowney coming back from injuries has helped ......

Sullivan finally playing Cole over Hunwick, I believe, has helped .....

The stars playing like stars has helped ......

We aren't in the playoffs yet and the entire team needs to continue to play better and win games ...... The weekend series with Toronto and Columbus is big ......

A question is still whether we make a trade before the deadline ..... doesn't look like we need to make a big trade but I would like to see a little more depth at center and on defense .....

Interesting times ahead !!
Looking to move Hunwick currently.. Would like to move him and Sheary and bring in a 2nd pair D man..

The Pit in Raleigh is really good.

Pizza in the south isn’t.
Stick with barbecue
This is not true. I'm not familiar enough with Raleigh to say which is best there, but there are some great pizza places all across the South. This is especially true compared to Pittsburgh, which is nothing special as a pizza city.

This is not true. I'm not familiar enough with Raleigh to say which is best there, but there are some great pizza places all across the South. This is especially true compared to Pittsburgh, which is nothing special as a pizza city.
I lived there for 14 years.
Please, your opinions of the pizza in that area are not valid to me .

Shush

I lived there for 14 years.
Please, your opinions of the pizza in that area are not valid to me .

Shush
Except you said, "Pizza in the south isn’t (good)." You didn't say, "Pizza in Raleigh isn't (good)."

Maybe it is true about Raleigh, but it doesn't apply to "the South". I have lived in Pittsburgh, NY/NJ, and in multiple medium to large Southern cities. Pittsburgh was the worst of all for pizza.

While we’re on the topic, Jioio’s pizza; do you love or hate it? I fall in the former category and think it is excellent. I prefer the Greensburg location to Latrobe because Latrobe always burns the crust.

Except you said, "Pizza in the south isn’t (good)." You didn't say, "Pizza in Raleigh isn't (good)."

Maybe it is true about Raleigh, but it doesn't apply to "the South". I have lived in Pittsburgh, NY/NJ, and in multiple medium to large Southern cities. Pittsburgh was the worst of all for pizza.
Mineos and Vincent’s not happy.

Reactions: Jpripper88

BOoooooooooooo. Come on, I also lived 5 years in the south and no way do the cities down there have pizza like Pittsburgh. Sorry. No. Way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT